Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-05-2022, 09:42 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default Recording over and over until you get it right

What I have done in the past when recording is when the cursor is at the beginning of the transport I hit the Record button and keep playing until I make a mistake or I am not happy with something I just played.

Then what I would do is hit the stop button and return the cursor back to the beginning of the transport and delete the file (telling Reaper no I do not want to keep it).

But that seems like a lot of monkey business and I was wondering how professional studios do it.

I know I could just let Reaper continue to record and I could simply start playing again.

I think there is something called takes too but I don't know how those work or how you set that up.

So do professional recording studios just keep the track recording or use the takes idea?
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
jrk
Human being with feelings

There's no real setting up required to use takes. By default, if you record again on the same track another "take" will be created for you. You can even record while looping over a time selection and as many takes will be created as you like. When you stop recording you have the option to save a single file containing all the takes.

Make sure "Options: Show all takes in lanes (when room)" is on. You may need to increase the height of the track to see them.

The problem then becomes managing these multiple takes, "comping" a bit from here, a bit from there, until you have a composite part without duff notes (or whatever), that sounds like a single great performance.

You may end up with one take that's perfect (or good enough) and then it's just a matter of hiding the others - you'd typically select it and "crop to active take"

Alternatively, record a single take on a track, save it, but drag it out of the way and go again. Some people keep a muted "folder" to drag these bits to.
This way you end up with multiple files. You can create a composite by splitting & joining these. The process is a little slower. But some find it suits them.

It's whatever works best for you. The very best way of course, is to practice a lot, and get it on the first take.