Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 AM   #1
ManyTracks
Human being with feelings

Default Stems Rendering - bypassing PAN etc.

I'm working on a project right now where I need to export stems. That is I want to render out lots of individual tracks.

- Violins
- Violas
- Celli
- Basses
- Grand Piano
- Flute section
- Flute solo
- Piccolo Flute

Etc up to around - in this case - 45 tracks.

All these tracks appear in my mixer in Reaper and everything works just fine.

I have figured out how to set up Reaper so that it exports this naming each individual file accoring to its track number and its track name. Excellent and Reaper does this well with the "wildcards" option in the Render dialogue window.

Now to my question / issue :

If for instance "Piccolo Flute" has it panning set a bit to the left or right in my mix in Reaper, when I export it with all the stems, I want the panning setting to be ignored.

I want the stems to reflect EXACTLY what the outputis from my Kontakt 5 sample players. That is: I want the render process to ignore all inserted effects, ignore all pan settings, ignore all channel fader settings etc. I just want to render it out AS IF the panning was centered, the channel fader was at 0dB and any inserted FX were de-activated.

I need this because sometime a project will be mixed by other people in another studio on a console etc. Which means that my stems should refelect what my instruments sound like (my Kontakt 5 outputs) and not any settings that I have used during the composing phase of the work.

Iti's a lot of work to reset pans and faders just to make a "neutral" stem render of all tracks so I would like to find a more efficient way to do this.

How can I bypass faders / pan-settings etc when exporting to stems?

Thanks in advance
MT
ManyTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
planetnine

Sounds like freezing tracks might do what you need.

Freeze, then unfreeze, and the tracks should have been rendered.

Hang on, if you want no FX, then you probably want to "glue" the tracks. NIFOR or manual, read up on glue and see if it does what you want...

>
Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
ManyTracks

Hi Nathan, not sure freeze or glue really is what is needed here... What I need is simply something that bypasses all FX and mixer settings while rendering/exporting individual tracks to stems. And then after I'm done with the stem render I want to have my project intact with all the FX and channel faders where I had hem before. I don't want to struggle manually resetting a huge template just because I need to render clean stems.

Last edited by ManyTracks; 04-19-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: 1
Old 04-19-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
Viente

Sounds like you need a custom action/script to select all tracks, reset pan, disable all fx and render. Look in actions windows
People asking for specific tasks should go deeply into custom action world. Almost anything can be done using custom actions and especially reascripts.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:51 AM   #5
ManyTracks

Viente, would a "script" like that be able to first memorize the settings. I want the settings back after I've done the stem render.

It appears as if - for instance - Sonar has buttons in its export dialogue where you can simply bypass FX and mixer settings DURING rendering. Something like that would be good.

Basically I don't want to change a thing in my mix setup.- I just want Reaper to pick up the audio signals straight out of the sample player / synth outputs and feed them each respective stem in the export. The mixer and its settings should not really need to be involved. It's WHERE Reaper taps into the signal path when rendring that I want to control.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyTracks View Post
Viente, would a "script" like that be able to first memorize the settings. I want the settings back after I've done the stem render.

It appears as if - for instance - Sonar has buttons in its export dialogue where you can simply bypass FX and mixer settings DURING rendering. Something like that would be good.

Basically I don't want to change a thing in my mix setup.- I just want Reaper to pick up the audio signals straight out of the sample player / synth outputs and feed them each respective stem in the export. The mixer and its settings should not really need to be involved. It's WHERE Reaper taps into the signal path when rendring that I want to control.
Yes it can memorize but it will require more work to do such script. But why you just can't render stems and just reload the project with original settings?
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:59 AM   #7
witti

Snapshots might help here.

Save a snapshot of the whole mix.

There are actions to reset pans and volumes of tracks.

So create a macro with saving/recalling snapshots, resetting pans/volumes, stem rendering (or freezing/unfreezing).

If your project only contains audio items, you can simply use 'Consolidate tracks...'.
witti is offline   Reply With Quote