Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
No one
Human being with feelings

Default Need help setting up a sampler/sequencer similar to FL Studio's.

I've come from using FL Studio and need help getting a good drum machine setup like FL's sampler/sequencer & midi clips.

I'd really like something similar where I can start by using the step sequencer to make a basic beat, then edit the steps/notes further by going into the piano roll and changing things like the pitch & velocity of each hit. I like being able to have all drums triggered by one midi clip, but also having the ability to do some drums on one midi clip and some on others (I often separate Kick & Snare into one clip, Hats on another, then random ones for cymbals & Toms). I also miss the way that you could browse your drum library with FLS's interface and automatically preview each drum sample just by highlighting it with the arrow keys instead of having to load it into the sampler to check it - that saved a lot of time!

I've been watching tutorials on setting up Reaper's built in sampler "ReaSamplomatic5000" as a drum machine, but it just seems like it won't do what I want.

If you set it up as a drum machine on one track, you can trigger all the drums from a single midi clip, but every drum sample will get routed to the same mixer channel which is no good for me. Also, if you set it up this way, you can't allow full pitch manipulation of the samples because if you do, playing one sample will make all the other samples play at the same time.

The best way I think I could use ReaSamplomatic5000 is to have a single instance with a single drum sample on each track. That way I can play each drum sample separately with full pitch range available via piano roll placement and have them all go to their own mixer channel. But the problem with this is that it'll be really clunky having to make beats with a separate midi clip for each individual drum sample on each track. It'll be way slower and less fun..

It's really hard to explain these things to people who haven't used FLS's Step Sequencer and Piano Roll, but if you have used them, you'll understand what I'm missing here.

Anyone got any good solutions for this that doesn't involve using FL Studio in any way? I'm trying to see what I can do with all Linux native software.

Thanks!

Last edited by No one; 10-25-2018 at 05:55 AM.
No one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Have you checked this out:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207971

I just tried it and it seems to work in general, but sometimes the menu on the left side isn't responding to mouse input (until I resize the window a bit).

(edit) It wasn't sending MIDI to the track when I clicked on the pads yesterday, but I saw this post today and now it works fine (when setting the track input to MIDI specifically, record armed, and input monitor active). (/edit)

Each instance of RS5K can have its own channel output, by the way (whether you use this script or not). I'd say set up all the RS5K instances with whatever samples you want, then change their outputs as needed. It seems the script is unaware of the RS5K output assignments.

Oh and if you use Media Explorer (from the View menu) you can preview the files by clicking on them, before dragging them into RS5K (or RS5K Manager).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-24-2018 at 03:40 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
No one

Thanks for that suggestion. I did watch the video and it seems like it may be useful. I need to download it and have a proper go with it to find out. Hopefully I can do that this weekend. I will post back with an update on that!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
No one

Ok. I got ReaPack installed and downloaded the RS5K manager. When I try to run the script for it, it says the Various Functions lua is missing. I searched for it in ReaPack and can't find it.

Any ideas?

Please bare in mind I don't know what the hell I'm doing with Reaper. My first task with this program is to get a good drum machine setup, then actually start learning to use the program. I've been stuck at this first hurdle the whole time ;(

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
JamesPeters

You must have his repository added to Reapack, otherwise you wouldn't find RS5K Manager in the ReaPack list (I assume you installed RS5K Manager using Reapack). So that's step 1. Now you just have to add the missing package you need.

Search for "Various_functions" by MPL in Reapack and you'll find it. You may have to "synchronize packages" (to update them). Extensions -> Reapack -> Synchronize packages. Or if you have Reapack window open, click the top right button (# of packages) and you'll see an option to "refresh repositories".
Old 10-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
No one

Ah yeh, that got it to show up. So, I installed that and tried to run the script again but got an error message I couldn't make much sense of "mpl_RS5k_manager_obj.lua:1746: attempt to call a nil value (global 'BR_GetMediaTrackByGUID')".
Old 10-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
JamesPeters

Do you have SWS Extensions installed? It may rely on that. I take it for granted that people always add SWS to their Reaper install, so I didn't think to mention it. It has a lot of useful things it adds to Reaper.

If you don't already have it:

-Go to landoleet dot org. I'm not actually putting a link because I think the devs would prefer not to have links to it everywhere.

-Download reaper_sws_x86_64_xxx.tar.xz (assuming you're using a normal PC).

-Extract reaper_sws64.so to your directory specifically called "UserPlugins" (the same directory ReaPack installed its .so file to). On my system this directory is "/home/(my username)/.config/REAPER/UserPlugins".

Restart Reaper.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
No one

I got it running in the end thanks to your help.

I've managed to get it setup so that I have a parent track and then tracks under it where I can do any combo of drums on any pattern. So I'm half way there. But what I can't figure out is how to route each drum sample to its own mixer channel and how to adjust pitch by piano roll placement.

Everytime I've tried Reaper over the years I always get stuck trying to setup a good drum machine and then give up. I've got to admit, this is doing me in a bit. I don't know why it's so complicated to do with this program.. It's a shame because I'm really interested in using it but this always gets in the way. I'm not saying I'm giving up just yet, but I'm starting to wonder if I might just have more luck running FLS with Wine. It might actually be easier than this lol...

Thanks for your help though. This is the closest I've gotten to what I want so far!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I've got to admit, this is doing me in a bit.

I don't know why it's so complicated to do with this program.. !
^bruv/sis-do yourself a massive favour and try to use the arrange area like a drum machine- you get all the power of edits+ performance is increased(mostly) by actually using 'less'..
you can still think like midi-just doing it with 'items',or audio clips can be templated for quick setups as well..spread over 1,or many channels.
otherwise-just invest in 1 powerfull (semi) future-proof multisampler_ because_ rs5k is not a multisampler even with the workarounds..
the rabbithole only gets deeper with the desire for complexities-keeping stuff minimal and to_the_point is always a good idea--rabbit holes run deep sometimes,so people tend to wander off the track they started out on..eh..

only suggesting 'buying' a sampler,because there has been no new developing in that area in reaper for years-->that may change though.. (makes sense for many reaper users to have a powerfull,feature full,native multisampler)

sample playback in a live situation is not always needed for a studio production,but many people base their whole arrangements on live sample playbacks+manipulations..so stability is also a key going forward in all cases whatever plugins may be used like that..
arrange area editing in reaper is really quite powerfull: +you can also realtime edit if your able to work quickly and accurate with a mouse,shortcuts+key triggers.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
No one

Sorry, you lost me a bit there. But I thought I already explained why I don't like doing drums in Reaper..

I'm gonna try using some third party samplers though and see what's possible that way. Hydrogen is the only one I really know of for Linux. You know of any others I could try?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:59 PM   #11
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, you lost me a bit there.
yay..more confusion! honestly-it's no different unless your performing 'live'.
i do not know linux,or what works there at all-but windows offers a great choice of samplers-it really depends on your uses.. rs5k if an ok 1 shot sampler,but it's not really made for what some would consider 'sample libraries' (kontakt etc).
as an eg: you could go test/buy a sample player like slicex--you might know it comming from fl.?

slicex is a very powerfull tool for sample slicing and other great features like convolution etc-but it basically only has 2 'decks' to layer samples--1 more layer than rs5k --but-- slicex does a heap lot more 'automagicaly_if programmed'.

once you decide on which route you like to make or perform your music- either fully programmed,or fully live +automated, that will give you better reasoning to wonder wether a sampler or the arrange area is of better use/s.
personally think reaper's arrange area is a great way to programme and edit as you can fully customise patterns and all audio fx,right there in the arrange area=simplez+complete.
i know fl and know what it does--it's the 'final outputs' that really matters: and if nobody is actually seeing your 'moves,or performances' it does not really matter which way you do it!

Old 10-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
No one

I really appreciate you guys taking the time and effort to help me out here. But I'm sorry to say I've decided to give up on this and go try a different Linux native DAW like Bitwig or maybe just run FLS via Wine. I just want to make some music now and everytime I try to use Reaper I end up trying out loads of complicated stuff like this and never actually get anything done.

I hope in future they introduce a decent sampler/sequencer setup that's ready to go out of the box. But until then, I probably won't be coming back to Reaper.

Again, thanks so much for helping me out here. I really appreciate your time Cheers.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
JamesPeters

So right at the point where you can do what you want, you're giving up?

Hey, whatever works best for you!
Old 10-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

I have no idea what he was even asking to accomplish in REAPER, but I can say that my ten or fifteen minutes with ReaSamplomatic 5000 or whatever it's called was totally counter intuitive for me.

Samplers in my opinion should be a single instance thing that is capable of loading multiple samples and assigning them across midi notes.

One of the reasons why I will use "Grace" by One Small Clue running as a Windows VSTi using LinVST over using the native RS5K, even if it is less efficient.

That said, I wholeheartedly DO NOT want Cockos to waste their time building a better sampler, or reinventing wheels that already exist and work fine. That dood would have probably been better off downloading the free Grace sampler and getting LinVST working IMHO.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
No one

Quote:

Sorry. You've done a lot to help me out here and I do appreciate it! I did originally write replies to the previous posts but decided to delete them. I got a bit confused with a couple things and was already near to my threshold of giving up a few days ago. I just ended up reaching the breaking point with this.

When I first loaded up FLS years ago, when I was a complete noob, I had a drum beat going within seconds. That's always stuck with me. I've way more experience now and I still can't get Reaper setup for this, at least not without a load of hassle. This whole experience has made me realise how good FLS is for this sort of thing. Reaper looks great for mixing, but it's just not inspiring me when it actually comes down to making music. I can't help it. It's the same everytime I try to use this program :/

Thanks for your help though. You did a really good job with your instructions but it's just me running out of enthusiasm that's the issue. Cheers dude.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
Glennbo

REAPER is NOT a DAW that comes with instruments like most DAWs. Their focus is on what it should be, which is the DAW. If you can get LinVST functioning, which does not require the engineering degree needed for the sampler you've been trying to make work, then you can use Windows plugins in WINE, with REAPER for Linux.

I sampled my own cocktail drum kit and also sampled a ton of hand percussion instruments using the FREE sampler "Grace" for Windows. It works great in REAPER for Linux. The guys who make Grace have another product that is not free, but may fit the bill for what it sounds like you are wanting called "Poise".

Grace is free and a general purpose sampler.
https://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/grace/

Poise is $50 and is geared to be like a drum machine.
https://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/poise/

Either of them, along with other Windows plugins will work in REAPER for Linux if you spend five or ten minutes setting up the Windows to Linux VST/VSTi bridge called "LinVST".
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #17
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
When I first loaded up FLS years ago, when I was a complete noob, I had a drum beat going within seconds. That's always stuck with me. I've way more experience now and I still can't get Reaper setup for this, at least not without a load of hassle.
^heh-from what i can tell-your very much not alone,still to this day, others seem to struggle getting ideas down quickly with reaper when it comes to multisampling or simple beat creations.. this is not so in actual practice once the penny drops:
a lot of programmes like fl,reason or w/e not only come with great tools+modules,they also come with some great defaults+presets for modules to play with.
for eg: fl comes with a sequencing 'rack' by default it loads up a small selection of samples so people can easily get going--as you found-- but this is no different in reaper once setup in a similar way.
reason is also great like this^ with stuff like dr.octorex just load n go <> very quick <> but it can still all be done quite the same in timeline areas.
all in all- after some time you may find also-reaper is a very capable sequencer and multisampler by default by using just the arrange area.

a lot of songs and styles use very similar patterns,especially when it comes to drums--once track templated--you can tweak as little,or much you like,swapping samples as you see fit =
no extra costs-upgrades-or headaches-- just requires practice @ editing.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #18
JamesPeters

No problem! It's a bit of a shame that it won't currently work for you, or at least the way you were hoping. But we all choose to work the way we want.

I wouldn't want to use multiple instances of RS5K even with that manager script (as generous as MPL is to create it), for anything complex. Up to several instances of RS5K, ok...beyond that, no thanks. I had found some drum sample banks made for RS5K and they sound great, but they use so many instances of it with fairly involved routing...not only does it use a lot of CPU but it's hard to keep track of the drum mix. Thankfully for me DrumGizmo does the job (it doesn't have an interface that you'd like for creating sample banks on the fly, though).

Would something like LSP Schlagzeug plugin on this page work for you? It's available as a Linux VST. I had the whole pack installed but then redid my Linux partition, so I don't have it installed anymore. But it looks like it does the "drum machine" type thing well. Anyway it also does multiple (up to 8) velocity layers per "note", and there are several versions of the plugin (with multiple outputs, choose your version with the right number of outputs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNfZ0TF-bk

I don't know if it does "choke groups" (hihat closed stops playback of hihat open, for instance) but that can be taken care of with a JS plugin that sends "choke" command (note off) in those situations. I saw a video for that so I could find it if you want.

I'd personally avoid Poise. I bought that, and it had some bugs (I forget what they were, but it was the kind of bug that would crash it). Plus development of it is being discontinued, and it's Windows software. If LSP Schlagzeug works for you, that's probably a better idea.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-28-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Glennbo

Quote:
I wouldn't want to use multiple instances of RS5K even with that manager script (as generous as MPL is to create it), for anything complex. Up to several instances of RS5K, ok...beyond that, no thanks.
Why not James?

I use a separate instance of a piano plugin for each note I plan to play. My grand piano template has only EIGHTY EIGHT instances of the plugin!
Old 10-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Why not James?

I use a separate instance of a piano plugin for each note I plan to play. My grand piano template has only EIGHTY EIGHT instances of the plugin!
My wimpy CPU can't handle so many especially if they're doing multi-channel audio and layered velocity samples. A single instance of DrumGizmo uses a tiny fraction of the CPU.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
My wimpy CPU can't handle so many especially if they're doing multi-channel audio and layered velocity samples. A single instance of DrumGizmo uses a tiny fraction of the CPU.
When I first got REAPER for Linux and hadn't gotten LinVST working yet so I could use some of my Windows plugins, I downloaded Tod's RS5K drums/template. On the the very first look at it I was like, what are these fifty tracks for (exaggerating), and where the do MY tracks fit into all of this?

I like single instance plugins, and while Tod's drums actually do sound pretty decent, the second I got setup where I could use other drum samplers, I nuked it.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
wwwmaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
I've come from using FL Studio and need help getting a good drum machine setup like FL's sampler/sequencer & midi clips.

I'd really like something similar where I can start by using the step sequencer to make a basic beat, then edit the steps/notes further by going into the piano roll and changing things like the pitch & velocity of each hit. I like being able to have all drums triggered by one midi clip, but also having the ability to do some drums on one midi clip and some on others (I often separate Kick & Snare into one clip, Hats on another, then random ones for cymbals & Toms). I also miss the way that you could browse your drum library with FLS's interface and automatically preview each drum sample just by highlighting it with the arrow keys instead of having to load it into the sampler to check it - that saved a lot of time!

I've been watching tutorials on setting up Reaper's built in sampler "ReaSamplomatic5000" as a drum machine, but it just seems like it won't do what I want.

If you set it up as a drum machine on one track, you can trigger all the drums from a single midi clip, but every drum sample will get routed to the same mixer channel which is no good for me. Also, if you set it up this way, you can't allow full pitch manipulation of the samples because if you do, playing one sample will make all the other samples play at the same time.

The best way I think I could use ReaSamplomatic5000 is to have a single instance with a single drum sample on each track. That way I can play each drum sample separately with full pitch range available via piano roll placement and have them all go to their own mixer channel. But the problem with this is that it'll be really clunky having to make beats with a separate midi clip for each individual drum sample on each track. It'll be way slower and less fun..

It's really hard to explain these things to people who haven't used FLS's Step Sequencer and Piano Roll, but if you have used them, you'll understand what I'm missing here.

Anyone got any good solutions for this that doesn't involve using FL Studio in any way? I'm trying to see what I can do with all Linux native software.

Thanks!
@No one:
Producing electronic/pattern based music on Reaper is possible (I think it's great) but requires some work to learn about and to set up.

You basically need 2 things: A good sampler and a good step sequencer.

My recommendation for the latter: Reaper's own MIDI editor in "drum mode" or a JSFX called "MIDI Sequencer Megababy" (comes with Reaper by default):

If you should still be interested I include a basic track template which showcases both approaches.

All the routing is done, just load in some samples.

It uses ReaSamplomatic5000 as sampler which unfortunately is only a basic sampler. So my recommendation would be Redux, imho the best sampler on linux by far.

hth
Attached Files
File Type: rtracktemplate beats.RTrackTemplate (12.0 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by wwwmaze; 10-29-2018 at 01:14 PM.
wwwmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
monty

Quote:
Would something like LSP Schlagzeug plugin on this page work for you? It's available as a Linux VST. I had the whole pack installed but then redid my Linux partition, so I don't have it installed anymore. But it looks like it does the "drum machine" type thing well.

hmm, the LSP (.so files) do not work for me, they are not initialized in reaper & audacity ...
I have copied these into my VST folder and also into /usr/lib/vst, audacity shows them in the effect list but they can not set as enabled
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #24
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
One of the reasons why I will use "Grace" by One Small Clue running as a Windows VSTi using LinVST over using the native RS5K, even if it is less efficient.
Did anyone compare grace to shortcircuit 1.1.2?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
hmm, the LSP (.so files) do not work for me, they are not initialized in reaper & audacity ...
I have copied these into my VST folder and also into /usr/lib/vst, audacity shows them in the effect list but they can not set as enabled
Try putting lsp-plugins-vst-core-1.1.2-x86_64.so in /.vst and the rest of the .so files in the folder lsp-plugins as shown here:

---------------------------------------------------------
marco@fox:~/.vst$ ll
insgesamt 9120
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Jun 28 02:58 Airwindows
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Apr 30 2018 argotlunar
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Okt 28 19:18 Cadmium
-rwxr-xr-x 1 marco marco 971576 Okt 22 14:53 cadmium.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 marco marco 2335936 Apr 22 2018 DragonflyReverb-vst.so
drwxr-xr-x 3 marco marco 4096 Jul 4 21:15 harrison-xt
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 12288 Mai 7 23:52 lsp-plugins
-rwxr-xr-x 1 marco marco 3655544 Mai 1 03:13 lsp-plugins-vst-core-1.1.2-x86_64.so
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Jul 4 20:17 lv2vst
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Sep 21 17:01 Overtone
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Mai 15 00:13 pizmidi
drwxr-xr-x 3 marco marco 4096 Mai 4 22:14 redux
drwxr-xr-x 3 marco marco 4096 Apr 27 2018 Tunefish
drwxr-xr-x 2 marco marco 4096 Jul 16 18:08 u-he
-rwxr-xr-x 1 marco marco 1196192 Sep 16 17:23 wolf-shaper-vst.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 marco marco 1111072 Mär 13 2018 xhip.so
marco@fox:~/.vst$
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #26
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Sorry. You've done a lot to help me out here and I do appreciate it! I did originally write replies to the previous posts but decided to delete them. I got a bit confused with a couple things and was already near to my threshold of giving up a few days ago. I just ended up reaching the breaking point with this.

When I first loaded up FLS years ago, when I was a complete noob, I had a drum beat going within seconds. That's always stuck with me. I've way more experience now and I still can't get Reaper setup for this, at least not without a load of hassle. This whole experience has made me realise how good FLS is for this sort of thing. Reaper looks great for mixing, but it's just not inspiring me when it actually comes down to making music. I can't help it. It's the same everytime I try to use this program :/

Thanks for your help though. You did a really good job with your instructions but it's just me running out of enthusiasm that's the issue. Cheers dude.
fl studio is good, jeskola buzz is best. reaper is also not bad, if you design it first to your exact needs, which can take some time. try using reaper with hackey trackey, hackey patterns, shortcircuit 1.1.2, my favourite combination for now. You can create from any directory full of samples an .scm, meaning a shortcircuit multi, ready to have fun inside shortcircuit 1.1.2, you can auto-assign any of your favourite filters, no need to click around, just having fun. I replicated many fl studio stuff for reaper, like right mouse deleting notes in midi editor, turbo note correction workflow. Never do note placement using left mouse click, instead map to a key, e.g. I am using 'a' for adding notes, another key for adding chords and so on. Another key for splitting to two notes, another for splitting to three notes... another for shortening notes, another for deleting uppest notes... reaper allows having multi multi editors, all at the same time, e.g. on the left notation view, on the right in arrange using inline editing direct piano roll editing, like deleting notes with right mouse button, if you do not like any note, plus as if this was not enough, you can have even buzz tracker view in hackey trackey, all different looking angles to the same midi notes, edit where you like and the others are following. Wonderful. Nowhere else available in this form. notation + fl like midi editor + buzz like tracker. use all their advantages, plus there is even buzz sequencer there, called hackey patterns. ooohhhh, where else you have this? welcome to the reaper underground.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #27
monty

many thanks that worked ;-)
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #28
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
many thanks that worked ;-)
Great!! Had the same problem a while ago.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #29
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwmaze View Post
:
Producing electronic/pattern based music on Reaper is possible (I think it's great) but requires some work to learn about and to set up.

You basically need 2 things: A good sampler and a good step sequencer.
megababy you can forget again, use instead the best step sequencer, all we know, tracker interface, hackey trackey, by master saike, as lua plugin for reaper. hackey patterns, has the pattern parts, meaning using reaper terms a pattern in hackey patterns is item + automation. you can place where you want, adding OFF events, meaning cutting the rest from that point. e.g. cut the last kick before bringing something new, just for cutting in some holes into the frequencies for a short time, grabbing the attention, cut the bass, then booom. like richie hawtin is doing all the time or typical in pystrance, dddddddd, then stop and go, ddddddddddd, everything vibrating.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #30
bmarkham

I think the closest thing to FL Studio on Linux is LMMS. LMMS is free.

It doesn't even have provision for recording. Although it includes a lot of synths, it also has a lot of samples and is geared toward playing samples. So you can use it with, for example, the sample libraries that come with magazines etc.

You can do midi with the synths, of course. But it won't export the midi -- just the sounds resulting from it. The synths and presets for them are impressive as heck, and the samples (used especially for drums and stuff) are excellent.

Like all such software, it has a bit of a learning curve because it is really its own thing. I used this book to learn how to use it:

https://www.amazon.com/LMMS-Complete...&keywords=LMMS

This, IMO, is likely the closest thing you'll find.
bmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:19 AM   #31
tufb

Is FL Studio's step sequencer using midi internally?

In my humble opinion, the closest thing to working with FL's step sequencer is using REAPER's media items. The difference is not having patterns and the playlist.

Last edited by tufb; 11-05-2018 at 02:50 AM.
tufb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:02 AM   #32
Mcgiver69

Good grief you have already started your work on Resamplomatic5000 so don't despair.

Go to Youtube and look for REAPER MANIA, that's Kenny Gioia's channel and it contains all Reaper tutorials you'll ever need. I know most of the same videos are hosted in the video section on this page but Kenny's latest are not linked here.

The last videos had been dedicated to explain how to create a drum kit using Resamplomatic5000 and how to route the output to separate tracks. Which is a total breeze.

You can use MegaBaby which comes with Reaper (Js plugins), and there are a couple of videos in Kenny's channel that explains how to use it. All videos are well detailed and in a step by step manner.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #33
mpl

In the latest RS5k manager I introduced basic step sequencer based on active note you assigned with RS5k instances via manager. Also I slightly redesigned mixer to make it more FL-like (coming soon: FX slots).

But anyway, for easy-to-use sampled I still suggest to use 3rd party stuff, or better - FL Studio on whatever platform you`d be able to run somehow, since it is a great piece of software and not replicable by something else.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #34
s wave

Default Great Videos

I second Kenny Gioia's Videos. The ease and clarity is excellent.
Worth putting a little time in - google the topic you want... just get some comfort food and kick your feet up!
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote