Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default 5.90 "Snap to Grid" not snapping to nearest grid (FIXED)

Strange behavior of stretch marker "snap to grid". Instead of moving stretch points to the NEAREST grid line it is moving them to the nearest grid line to the RIGHT of each point.

Please see attached screenshots. "Before quantizing" has minor timing issues. "After quantizing" stretch points are moved significantly - and all to the RIGHT of nearest gridline.

Bug or setting somewhere?
Attached Images
File Type: gif before qt.GIF (56.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: gif after qt.gif (57.9 KB, 430 views)
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Hmm are you using the action "Item: snap stretch markers to grid"? Can you post a minimal sample project with stretch markers that demonstrates? I'm testing here and things work as I expect but perhaps there's a different setting involved...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm are you using the action "Item: snap stretch markers to grid"? Can you post a minimal sample project with stretch markers that demonstrates? I'm testing here and things work as I expect but perhaps there's a different setting involved...
Hi Justin - I used the menu item "Stretch Markers -> Stretch Markers in Selected Items -> Snap to Grid"

This seems to work properly with a straight tempo grid but not one with tempo markers. (The file I took these screenshots from had been tempo mapped and I was trying to quantize to that grid).

So, it seems tempo markers have something to do with it.

I did not save the file I made these screenshots from but recreated a demo (link below). Snap to grid and watch what happens at 7.1.00 and 9.1.00

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWn...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Nonlinear; 05-27-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Thanks, duplicated! For now as a workaround if you put your tempo markers on the grid directly and not slightly ahead of the grid, that'll help.

Last edited by Justin; 05-27-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
G-Sun

I've had snap working wrong before as well.
Hoping a fix here will help.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Nonlinear

Quote:
For now as a workaround if you put your tempo markers on the grid directly and not slightly ahead of the grid, that'll help.
I did not place the markers manually - I used the ReaMix Beatmapper script which I think is just an automated version of "tempo detect". I tried the same process using the SWS script "create tempo map from markers" and I get the same result.

I did notice that if I zoom way in on the tempo markers I can see that they do not line up with the grid. That seems to be an error in the scripts or tempo detect functions but I have no idea what is causing it.

My workaround is to manually move each stretch marker to grid with snap turned on.

BTW - I noticed there is there is an option in Project Settings to set the Tempo/Time Signature Timebase to "Time" rather than "Beats". I have it set to "Beats" but perhaps something is not working right behind the scenes causing tempo and grid to go out of sync?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 05-27-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Err, fixing, 5.91pre2 should be in the prerelease forum later today for testing.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Nonlinear

Quote:
Err, fixing, 5.91pre2 should be in the prerelease forum later today for testing.
Outstanding! Thank you for looking into this, Justin. Now I know why Reaper has so many loyal fans!
Old 07-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #9
jerryteacup

I hate to resurrect an oooooooooold thread, but at v6.81 this problem seems to be back. I've got some media items that behave this way. Snapping to grid is apparently accurate, but it's to the right, which makes it annoying to work with the stretch markers.
jerryteacup is offline   Reply With Quote