Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Nu2Reaper
Human being with feelings

Default can't get Reaper to work with Nektar Panorama P6

Hi - I'm brand new to using Reaper - just downloaded the trial, and also brand new to the Panorama P6. I'm a total novice to production - just diving in.

I have managed to get the P6 working with Ableton Live 9 (even though it's not designed for it as Ableton won't give them the scripts for integration) - but after installing the Ableton Live map I can do basic controls with the P6.

With Reaper, no matter how many times I uninstall the P6 integration firmware and throw every reaper-Panorama related file in the trash and start over, I get nothing. Not one button, knob or fader on the P6 changes anything on the MacBook screen.

In the Reaper preferences it says I have Panorama P6 enabled and controlling, but nothing...

Nektar so far haven't been able to solve it for me. The instructions they give are the same as in the PDF manual - so I've hit a brick wall here.

Interestingly, after uninstalling and reinstalling the Panorama firmware, reaper preferences already seem to remember my old settings from the last installation - which I think might be part of the problem.

I think maybe I did it in the wrong order the very first time, and now that incorrect loading is in the Reaper and Nektar memory.

Any idea what I can do?

cheers!
Nu2Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
karbomusic

I don't know the answer since I'm not on Mac but everything seems fine with my new P6 with Reaper on my Windows machine. From a windows perspective only the nektar integration files (aka the control surface DLL) goes in Reaper's user plugins folder bug again, I don't know how to do the exact same thing in Mac but fairly sure the equivalent files go in that same user plugins folder or similar.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Nu2Reaper

thanks karbomusic for your reply

Well after taking a closer look at the instructions on the Nektar site, I didn't have the midi output set correctly (doh!). Once I got that sorted, my Reaper track immediately showed up in the Panorama screen

Glad I sorted out that foolishness - lol, now I can have fun learning how to use this thing.
Nu2Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Calaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Reaper View Post
thanks karbomusic for your reply

Well after taking a closer look at the instructions on the Nektar site, I didn't have the midi output set correctly (doh!). Once I got that sorted, my Reaper track immediately showed up in the Panorama screen

Glad I sorted out that foolishness - lol, now I can have fun learning how to use this thing.
Good to hear you got it working.

The Nektar is a really cool piece of gear. I have the P4 and I love it.

There is so much you can do with it beyond what’s explained in the Reaper version of the manual. I would highly recommend going to the Nektar website and reading (many times) the section on Internal Mode. That’s where the customization happens.

http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/sc.26....KB/KB.1129/.f

Make sure you understand the ‘actions list’ in Reaper (that’s where you can set up personalized custom keystrokes for basically whatever you want Reaper to do) because you can then program buttons or pads on the Nektar to perform those functions.

For example, you have 20 ‘pad maps’ available to you on the Nektar. I have 3 different pad maps set up exclusively to add virtual instruments to my project. So I just navigate to that pad map, tap the pad I want, and the instrument loads into my project. (And by the way, research Track Templates in Reaper...those are what I have the pads set up to trigger)

I also have a set of pads that navigates my markers in my project. And of course I use some for regular drum sounds.

The possibilities are endless. I’m no pro but I’ll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Congrats!
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Calaban

And 100% subscribe to the Reaper Mania channel on YouTube for **great** instructional videos.
The Reaper Blog is another great one. And Rob van Hees also has a great channel.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Jbyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
For example, you have 20 ‘pad maps’ available to you on the Nektar. I have 3 different pad maps set up exclusively to add virtual instruments to my project. So I just navigate to that pad map, tap the pad I want, and the instrument loads into my project. (And by the way, research Track Templates in Reaper...those are what I have the pads set up to trigger)

I also have a set of pads that navigates my markers in my project. And of course I use some for regular drum sounds.

The possibilities are endless. I’m no pro but I’ll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Congrats!
This is a killer tip / communication, Thank You! Is there a thread for folks to share this knowledge?

Im 2 inches away from buying a Nektar Panorama P6.
I want the fast workflow. aye. Speaking of aye...
Akai MPK is the contender.
Thoughts? Comparisons?
(sorry for the thread drift...)

Best,
Jbyrd
Jbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote