Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
defaced
Human being with feelings

Default Receiving Midi from Reason 4

Hello all,

first of all, reaper rules. I use reason, and generally am accustomed to using its interface, but sometimes would like to use VSTis, so have looked into rewire host applications and found reaper to be the best by a long way. However I'm having some trouble; as far as I'm aware reaper has the option to receieve midi from a particular channel from the rewire application (reason), right? There's a 'midi from rewire' tab if you click the FX button of the reason rewire channel.

So I thought that you can sequence a midi track in reason, and send it to a vsti in reaper, am i wrong?

If I'm not, can someone tell me how to do it? I don't want to have to sequence the vsti seperately in reaper basically, that way i can just have reaper running in the background receiving not just audio but midi from reason too.

I can get reaper to SEND midi to reason, but when I try exactly the same process to receieve midi (even when selecting midi ->'all channels'), the reaper vsti seems to receive no midi from reason.

Something odd I've noticed is that even with a blank project opening up on start in reason, reaper automatically labels the reason midi channels as being on Buses 5 and 6, is that anything to do with it?

I've attached a screengrab of what I'm talking about. In it you'll see I've got Reasynth and a Rewire track loaded into Reaper, and I've got a blank document and a thor synthesier with a couple of notes sequenced in reason. I want to get the midi data from the thor track in reason to reasynth in reaper. can someone tell me what i need to do?

I've also attached another one where I've changed what I thought you would have had to do to get it to work, but it doesn't.

Thanks
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (101.6 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (102.4 KB, 421 views)
defaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
SiKo

If I'm not, can someone tell me how to do it? I don't want to have to sequence the vsti seperately in reaper basically, that way i can just have reaper running in the background receiving not just audio but midi from reason too.

I didn't receive any confirmation that this can be done.
Reason simply has no midi out, although the rewire interface suggests it.

It would be great if it's because the rewire connection isn't fully developed by Cockos, but more like it is because propellerhead.se didn't implement it for reason (yet?!)

Let me know though, if you find a solution, will do the same if I find one.

So long ...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
defaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post

I didn't receive any confirmation that this can be done.
Reason simply has no midi out, although the rewire interface suggests it.

It would be great if it's because the rewire connection isn't fully developed by Cockos, but more like it is because propellerhead.se didn't implement it for reason (yet?!)

Let me know though, if you find a solution, will do the same if I find one.

So long ...

yeah you're quite right, thought it was a connection setting in reaper that needed to be tinkered with but in fact reason has no midi out! What a load of crap! You would have thought that considering reason hasn't implemented VSTis (for good reason) that it would at least have a midi out function for the purposes i described above. oh well. yeah i doubt there will be a fix for this.

thanks for your response

ttfn
defaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaced View Post
yeah you're quite right, thought it was a connection setting in reaper that needed to be tinkered with but in fact reason has no midi out! What a load of crap! You would have thought that considering reason hasn't implemented VSTis (for good reason) that it would at least have a midi out function for the purposes i described above. oh well. yeah i doubt there will be a fix for this.

thanks for your response

ttfn
Hi,

probably you already had this idea by yourself: Run Reason as ReWire slave in Reaper, export your Reason project as MIDI-file and import it into Reaper.

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #5
SiKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi,

probably you already had this idea by yourself: Run Reason as ReWire slave in Reaper, export your Reason project as MIDI-file and import it into Reaper.

-Data
Almost good enough, if it wasn't for the fact that ReGroove doesn't affect the notes in the midi clips ... and ReGrooving a VSTi would be awesome!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Chris Ihao

Bump. I want to do this as well. Use Reasons midi sequencer I mean. Any solution yet?
Chris Ihao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
shakey.oberon

one thing that annoys me is that you cant export midi clips, you have to export the whole project.

and the fact it has no midi out means that you can't use it to control external hardware synths in a live set up. I want this because reason never ever crashes, making it the ideal choice for live work
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
Chris Ihao

Yeah. Exactly.
Chris Ihao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
demure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKo View Post
Almost good enough, if it wasn't for the fact that ReGroove doesn't affect the notes in the midi clips ... and ReGrooving a VSTi would be awesome!
you know if you right click on the notelane in reason you can select the option "write groove to track" so you can get it sounding how you want and then it will rearange the midi exactly how it was in the groove for all note events so you can have regrooved vsts
demure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
SiKo

ReWire is MIDI IN and AUDIO OUT.
No way we can midi link to re-grooved notes out of Reason into Reaper.
To 'render' the notes in Reason first and then export the midi and import it into Reaper is a work around, but represent a work flow breaking procedure.

Audio/Midi groove functions in Reaper would be the best!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
zenmonkey

Figured I'd post on here I've created a workaround to get MIDI note, gate, and curve event out of Reason and into Reaper. You can read all about it and download the scripts/patches here:
Getting MIDI out of Reason 4.0+ via Rewire!
zenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote