Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #361
technogremlin
Human being with feelings

I like it too. I have the commercial emulation, shelved it and I'm not going to use this one instead (just don't crave that PPG-sound any more ). But it is a nice free emulation, I especially like that he did a much better job on emulating the UI of a real PPG as well.

For those that like to have a free PPG in their arsenal this one is a great opportunity
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #362
wags3d

Default Great Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylorca View Post
NastyVCS is really good

here is my review with some technical info English (google translate) | Spanish original
Hi Pylorca, I just wanted to say you did an amazing job writing and analyzing the NastyVCS, very informative and thorough. Keep up the good work, I think I will check out some of your other reviews, can you post some links to others you have written? I tried the NastyVCS and was very impressed by the sound, layout and the cool things you can do with the plug. Just scratching the surface I think. Cheers.
wags3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #363
wags3d

Default Modern Plug-ins

I just wanted to say what a great thread this is, thanks to Technogremlin and all who have contributed. I found these Modern plug-ins at KVR: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2652.html all I can say is WOW! Recreations of Fairchild, Distressor,1176, LA-2A, SSL compressors and a ton of other EQ's and classic plugs here and all for free! They sound great! I was in audio geek heaven checking them out. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #364
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags3d View Post
I found these Modern plug-ins at KVR
One tip: backup the downloaded file as they regularly add new plugins but take others out of the package. I have many more Antress plugins then there are currently in the package
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #365
wwjd

ima be brutally honest here: I've read some good but more bad about the "Modern set" mostly surrounding the idea that they SAY it copies LA compression or whatever but really it does nothing even close. just using the name. Also that they crash a lot. In my experience, well, I have not used them much but the ones I have tried, did crash even on my super clean base installed system. so I have them but kind of shy away. just sharing what I have seen and read. people much more thurough then myself tested them and wrote them off. but if they work good for you, that is great! I thoght it looked like a great pack, visually also, but not sure if they really deliver. I would appreciate others feedback on them though
wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #366
V'ger

Hi, been following this thread with interest as I do most like it. Similar to OP I own several hi-end VSTs, but agree there's a certain charm with the free stuff and some are real gems well on par with commercial ones. Can also well understand the argument to keep things simple and the energy that comes from trying to squeeze out of little.

Been going through an awful lot of VSTs last months, but some good finds I didn't know about here, Boris.K's stuff and some EVM's especially.

It's a shame you can't load the Voyager skin Technogremlin as it's an amazing synth and skin, maybe the best of the lot or at least on par with Synth1 imo. What's the trouble exactly?

As for the analog sound you're looking for Bladerunner, have you tried PURE-Pone4free? I don't think it's mentioned in this thread nor is it in most free synth threads as I suspect because it's a SynthEdit and monophonic, but the Tubeohm people came from making hardware stuff and apparently use a year to create each and there's no doubt they're advanced. To me it's amazing sounding and free to boot, here's a saw test clip.

Other synths on my top list not mentioned in this thread are ZynAddSubFX, String Theory and Angelina.

Will come back with VSTs finds later.
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #367
technogremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
In my experience, well, I have not used them much but the ones I have tried, did crash even on my super clean base installed system. so I have them but kind of shy away. just sharing what I have seen and read.
I'm very much with you on this one. I have seen people make raving remarks about them though. So I'm testing them per plugin within the scope of similar plugs. So far Antress Spacer made it onto my list as it sounds very good on drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post
Hi, been following this thread with interest as I do most like it. Similar to OP I own several hi-end VSTs, but agree there's a certain charm with the free stuff and some are real gems well on par with commercial ones. Can also well understand the argument to keep things simple and the energy that comes from trying to squeeze out of little.
Great to see you found my freeware topic. I have listened with pleasure to some of the tracks you made in the OSC-topics on KVR

Quote:
Been going through an awful lot of VSTs last months, but some good finds I didn't know about here, Boris.K's stuff and some EVM's especially.
Nice to see you picked up some new ones (for you).

Quote:
It's a shame you can't load the Voyager skin Technogremlin as it's an amazing synth and skin, maybe the best of the lot or at least on par with Synth1 imo. What's the trouble exactly?
When I open the UI there is a black square somewhere on it. It's not keeping me from using it but it kills my pleasure to work with it. The whole point of that skin is to have a nice looking synth on your screen.

However, it's not a biggy for me as this whole topic is about making choices and commit to a small amount of instruments and FX

Quote:
As for the analog sound you're looking for Bladerunner, have you tried PURE-Pone4free? I don't think it's mentioned in this thread
I did come across it but left it because it's monophonic and there are other nice ones around.

For a very analog sound I suggest (again) Logana; with the new version 1.43 most problems are taken care of. It sounds completely incredible tmo. I just wrote a review on KVR today:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4437.html#previews

Didn't have the time yet to put it on the list but I will
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #368
steadyrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by technogremlin View Post
One tip: backup the downloaded file as they regularly add new plugins but take others out of the package.
Solid advice.+1
steadyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #369
wags3d

Quote:
ima be brutally honest here: I've read some good but more bad about the "Modern set" mostly surrounding the idea that they SAY it copies LA compression or whatever but really it does nothing even close. just using the name. Also that they crash a lot.
For me, having used the actual hardware units these plugs claim to emulate, even if they give me some of the characteristics of the original versions and they sound good is good enough for me to try them in a mix. I don't expect plugs to sound like the real thing but they can help with the character of my sounds. I went through most of the plugs in the current version and heard some things I liked so will try them on my next mix.

As far as crashing goes, the only one that crashed so far was the Deep Purple EQ...once I see any plugs that crash, out they go. I would also like to hear about any one else who had good or bad experiences with the Modern set as well. Technogremlin did you find anything else in the bundle that was usable for you?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #370
technogremlin

Quote:
Technogremlin did you find anything else in the bundle that was usable for you?
Not yet, but that is largely due to the fact that I didn't get to test them indeep. Except that reverb, that I really like for drums. The way I test stuff is quite involved as I want to find the 'sweet spot of application', to see for what content a plugin works good. Ultimately I want to build specific track-templates that hold all the best plugins for certain content. That Modern reverb is definitely going into my drum-templates

Also, with big packages like this one it takes time to find out what is actually in the package.

I will (slowly) get to all the Antress plugs to test them and I'm sure some more will end up in my list
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #371
wwjd

Quote:
For me, having used the actual hardware units these plugs claim to emulate, even if they give me some of the characteristics of the original versions and they sound good is good enough for me to try them in a mix.
Do they sound remotely like what they are copying? I don't have access to the real gear so I can't tell if it works or is just being used as a "sell" point. Post your experiences if you find time. Would be cool to find some half decent emulators of that gear for free. Beats paying $10,000 for a plugin sweet that nets you .07 percent more accuracy than a great free plugin
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #372
technogremlin

I did some restructuring in the OP (not done yet) and prepared a few sections to hold upcoming stuff
Old 05-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #373
JHughes
Banned

Please check the link to the Kjaerhus Chorus.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #374
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Please check the link to the Kjaerhus Chorus.
Eh, Kjaerhus website has gone south since a few weeks now...

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #375
technogremlin

Indeed, it seems the kjaerhus site is buggered, I've seen another download somewhere, will look it up and put it there (if I can find it again).
Old 05-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #376
brainwreck

i (re)stumbled onto rebirth last night. i created an account to download it long ago, but i had forgotten about it when the download link didn't work. i guess propellerhead torrented the iso, as the download from the site is now a torrent link. the iso can be mounted with virtual clonedrive.

pretty cool little app, although the gui is small. includes a 808, 909, two 303s, and a few effects. it seems to be working as expected with rewire/reaper, multi-outs and all that. this is my first time using a 303, which is a little weird not seeing the notes across a timeline. https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/341306/rebirth.jpg

rebirth: http://81.92.66.41/torrents/rebirth_...on.zip.torrent
virtual clone drive: http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

i know that rebirth is old news, but why doesn't it get any mention around the recording forums? crazy.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-16-2010 at 02:28 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #377
technogremlin

Ah, downloaded it when it was released for free and still have the cd-rom that I burned then. Funny stuff but not very useful for the kind of music that I do.

I also think that Rebirth is a victim of time as it has been superseded by all the VSTi power we have at our fingertips these days
Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #378
brainwreck

Quote:
Ah, downloaded it when it was released for free and still have the cd-rom that I burned then. Funny stuff but not very useful for the kind of music that I do.

I also think that Rebirth is a victim of time as it has been superseded by all the VSTi power we have at our fingertips these days
funny like, ha ha....or?

i'm not really into the typical dance stuff associated with 303/808/909 machines, but there are other kinds of music out there that use these types of machines. to be honest, these days i don't know where i fall musically. one minute i'm banging away on a disorted guitar, the next i'm making beeps and boops with midi. if i ever get anything done, it's going to be a mess.

i'm not seeing any vstis out there (especially freeware) that come close to replacing rebirth. it's a completely different flow than vsti + midi editor. i'm not sure that i'll use rebirth that often, but learning a different work flow and experimenting can't hurt for sure.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #379
bladerunner

don't know if this has already been 'discovered' in this thread

http://www.valhalladsp.com/freqecho.html

valhallafreqecho delay - fantastic tape delay emu with some unique features

also, i rediscovered these - bittersweet

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/bittersweet2

and stereo tool from flux

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/stereotool

both great plugs
Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #380
V'ger

Quote:
Great to see you found my freeware topic. I have listened with pleasure to some of the tracks you made in the OSC-topics on KVR
Kewl, not often non-participants checks out the tracks, and thx for the compliment. But yeah the OSCs really proves the point of this thread how a relatively simple selection can cause more inspiration than a big one.
Quote:
When I open the UI there is a black square somewhere on it. It's not keeping me from using it but it kills my pleasure to work with it. The whole point of that skin is to have a nice looking synth on your screen.
That's a shame but I guess you've tried to fix it. Works anyway fine on XP sp3 here in several hosts. My guess it's the menu box that comes up when right-clicking the background which I think can be disabled completely. Anyway a brilliant analog sounding thing and where to else to see ~15 controls for the filter alone and then there are 2 of them..

Quote:
For a very analog sound I suggest (again) Logana; with the new version 1.43 most problems are taken care of. It sounds completely incredible tmo. I just wrote a review on KVR today:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4437.html#previews
Nice synth no doubt but not with the same range as some others imo, but have yet to check it out fully. Nice review also.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #381
V'ger

Quote:
Just another find that I don't want to keep from Y'all... (you won't find this one on KVRaudio ).

Yes, it is what it looks like and it is free.

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/s...pg/wavesim.htm

Scroll down that page to download the VSTi.
I get full Reaper freeze when loading presets with this one. Others with the same issue?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #382
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
i (re)stumbled onto rebirth last night.

i know that rebirth is old news, but why doesn't it get any mention around the recording forums? crazy.
I also have it on some backup folder, and remember it does sound very good. Might have to dig it up again, although prefer DAW piano roll for most things nowadays.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #383
V'ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

http://www.valhalladsp.com/freqecho.html

valhallafreqecho delay - fantastic tape delay emu with some unique features

also, i rediscovered these - bittersweet

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/bittersweet2

and stereo tool from flux

http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/stereotool

both great plugs
Yes all great free plugs, but about attack/transient tool like bittersweet, I just run another one lately that was more impressive, just can't find which it was in the mess that is my (newly installed) Vst folder atm..
Old 05-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #384
brainwreck

Quote:
I also have it on some backup folder, and remember it does sound very good. Might have to dig it up again, although prefer DAW piano roll for most things nowadays.
i think that i'm probably with you on preferring the piano roll, but something that i've already learned while playing around with the 303 in rebirth is that my rhythm skills are lacking pretty badly. i'm envious of anyone who can program a bassline with ease in a 303 without seeing the notes in a grid. playing around with this thing should make for good practice, and will surely improve my speed in using the piano roll.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #385
zoid9

Quote:
Indeed, it seems the kjaerhus site is buggered, I've seen another download somewhere, will look it up and put it there (if I can find it again).
Here's a link. You gotta navigate the site and get`em individualy.
http://www.vstplanet.com/Effects
They got the chorus,flanger,phaser,reverb,delay,compressor, and master limiter.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #386
rrroscar

Quote:
I get full Reaper freeze when loading presets with this one. Others with the same issue?
No problem here using the GUI. Which you have to do, since it IS an almost complete emulation of the PPG hardware running the original software, and therefore there aren't any hooks for preset handling that Reaper can use.

Seib also has a fairly extensive collection of discs for the original Emulator Emax, which I have. Unfortunately mine gave up the ghost, so I really wish he'd emulate that too, complete with 12bit companded to 8bit µlaw goodness and bird run. He'd have to fake the analog VCF and VCA though.

Is there any vsti or dxi out there that can load or convert Emax discs btw? I have a large collection I'd love to use, not the least my own stuff.
rrroscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #387
wwjd

Kjaerhus
http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

I've had no lockups with PPG. I use ASIO4all.com
Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #388
carbon

Quote:

i'm not really into the typical dance stuff associated with 303/808/909 machines, but there are other kinds of music out there that use these types of machines. to be honest, these days i don't know where i fall musically. one minute i'm banging away on a disorted guitar, the next i'm making beeps and boops with midi. if i ever get anything done, it's going to be a mess.
sigh....
Same here. Especially now that I got Reaktor from the KVR Marketplace.
Not going to end up with a coherent selection of music to make an album any time soon.
At least the ride is interesting and enjoyable.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #389
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
sigh....
Same here. Especially now that I got Reaktor from the KVR Marketplace.
Not going to end up with a coherent selection of music to make an album any time soon.
At least the ride is interesting and enjoyable.
i've been thinking about this stuff lately....albums having a coherent style. there aren't any rules, we can do what we want.

my main holdup is in trying to wear all the hats. it's difficult to create any chemistry like that.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #390
technogremlin

Quote:
funny like, ha ha....or?
Funny as in 'loads of fun to play around with'

It just doesn't fit (both it's sound and it's workflow) in anything I do musically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
I did have the Flux stuff. Remember checking that delay as well but forgot why I didn't select it in the end.

Quote:
That's a shame but I guess you've tried to fix it. Works anyway fine on XP sp3 here in several hosts. My guess it's the menu box that comes up when right-clicking the background which I think can be disabled completely. Anyway a brilliant analog sounding thing and where to else to see ~15 controls for the filter alone and then there are 2 of them..
OK, will have to try it again I think
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #391
brainwreck

Quote:
Funny as in 'loads of fun to play around with'

It just doesn't fit (both it's sound and it's workflow) in anything I do musically.
there for a second i thought you might be cracking on me for using 10+ year old software. (not really)
Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #392
technogremlin

Quote:
there for a second i thought you might be cracking on me for using 10+ year old software. (not really)
Well.... that too
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #393
wwjd

This MIGHT be of interest to some here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post5414266

I pitted my Alesis A6 Andromeda 16 voice true analog synthesizer up against a free VST: Reality MG-1

and MG-1 came out VERY WELL indeedy

Last edited by wwjd; 05-18-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #394
joaobgb

Default Freeware I'm currently using

Hi, this is my first post on the forum, I've recently changed from PTMP to Reaper, and after some years using RTAS I've now been searching for some good freeware VSTs, and in my opinion these don't compromisse in any way my mixes when used with other plugins I have. Although most or all of these freeware plugins are 32bit, I'm currently running them on Reaper 64bit on Win7 64bit and I'm not having any problems.

Compressors
Blockfish & Endorphin - Digitalfishphones
Density mkII - Variety of Sound
+compand - Soundhack

Duckers, Gates, Expanders
AutoGate-Expander & SideChainGate-Expander - Slim Slow Slider
Floorfish - Digitalfishphones
+compand - Soundahck

Transient Tools
BitterSweet II - Flux
Dominion - Digitalfishphones
Rescue & Tessla PRO - Variety of Sund

Analysers, Meters
Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst - Blue Cat Audio
MultiInspector Free - VertexDSP
SPAN - Voxengo
TT Dynamic Range Meter - Brainworx
+phasescope - Soundhack

EQs
BootEQ mkII - bootsy/Variety of Sound
IQ4 - Dan Worrall

Reverbs
SIR - Knufinke (I personally use SIR2, but SIR is freeware and a good convolution reverb)
epicVerb - Variety of Sound

Saturation,Harmonics
FerricTDS & TesslaPRO - Variety of Sound
+chebyshev - Soundhack

Filters
bx Cleansweep V2 - Brainworx

Pan, Stereo Tools
bx Solo - Brainworx
MSED & Stereo Touch - Voxengo
Rescue - bootsy/ Variey of Sound
Stereo Tool - Flux
+matrix - Soundhack

Glitch Tools
dblue Glitch - dblue

De-esser
Spitfish - Digitalfishphones

Channel Strips
NastyVCS - Variey of Sound

Bit reduction
+decimate - Soundhack

For VSTi I'm a huge fan of Spectrasonics and NI. Spectrasonics has no freeware, and NI has some 'player' versions of Kore and Kontakt - I haven't tried them because I use full verions so I can't say how they work or what do they include.

Last edited by joaobgb; 06-04-2010 at 02:45 PM.
joaobgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #395
mabian

Sorry if this has been examined already, but what is the best free organ + leslie combo? I'm using MDA leslie, but I'd like something more aggressive and biting.

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #396
matey

curious to see how many free plugins are commonly used by reaperities here, and how many among them are in common with my own set up...

A special mention for a really great plugin from Hexaline, the Big Tick - as afore mentioned on this thread and forgotten for a while in my vst folder, I have recently used as "ambience" sim on master bus insert or send channel...

it's huuuge...
matey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #397
wwjd

welcome joaobgb! That's a great list too! I've used most of those and they ring to me as very good choices. your list will definitely help others here also.

This thread is EPIC in its utility
Old 05-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #398
technogremlin

Quote:
I pitted my Alesis A6 Andromeda 16 voice true analog synthesizer up against a free VST: Reality MG-1
That VSTi is made by the same guy that did Logana. He's now working on a Novachord emulation.

However, I think an A6 is a bit more capable then that plugin. I listened to your MP3 there; don't forget that you can always make a very good synth sound as bad as another one. In other words, try to dial up something nice on the A6 and try to match that with the plugin. I bet on a epic fail

Though (for obvious reasons here ) I do actually think that you can make sounds that are as good as an A6 with plugins, but it will take something else then this MG-1 emulation, maybe layer a few big VSTi synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaobgb View Post
Hi, this is my first post on the forum, I've recently changed from PTMP to Reaper, and after some years using RTAS I've now been searching for some good freeware VSTs, and in my opinion these don't compromisse in any way my mixes when used with other plugins I have. Although most or all of these freeware plugins are 32bit, I'm currently running them on Reaper 64bit on Win7 64bit and I'm not having any problems.
Welcome to the forum, and to this topic. Thanks for your list, many of those have been mentioned in this thread and I have just about all of them and several of them will end up in the list in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Sorry if this has been examined already, but what is the best free organ + leslie combo? I'm using MDA leslie, but I'd like something more aggressive and biting.
Not saying they are the best for everyone (taste is personal) but there are a few mentioned in the OP here, including a very good leslie emulation

Just check the OP as I have the downloadlinks there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
A special mention for a really great plugin from Hexaline, the Big Tick - as afore mentioned on this thread and forgotten for a while in my vst folder, I have recently used as "ambience" sim on master bus insert or send channel...
Hexaline is surely going into my list in the OP, have it for years and it's a very characteristic effect. Don't know of anything similar right away
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #399
bob

Default Oatmeal

how do I install this in Reaper?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #400
Tod

Quote:
Not saying they are the best for everyone (taste is personal) but there are a few mentioned in the OP here, including a very good leslie emulation
Hi technogremlin,

As a follow up to mabian, is this the organ stuff your talking about?

--- Vintage emulations and stuff ---
- NubiLE (with SpinnerLE): one of the best free B3-emulations -
- Rumpelrausch AZR3: for the more gritty organ stuff -

I can't find anything that seems to be related to a leslie or is it included with these?

Great thread and thanks.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote