Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
anderssvensson
Human being with feelings

Default Action: [X] item under mouse cursor

I noticed the action "Action: Split item under mouse cursor". I must say this action is brilliant!

Then I thought I wanted this functionality for every action I do.. Move up-, move down-, nudge left-, nudge right-, mute- and remove item under mouse cursor. Why click with the mouse if you don't have to?

Is this possible to do with ReaScript? It sounds like a DAW revolution to me!
anderssvensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderssvensson View Post
I noticed the action "Action: Split item under mouse cursor". I must say this action is brilliant!

Then I thought I wanted this functionality for every action I do.. Move up-, move down-, nudge left-, nudge right-, mute- and remove item under mouse cursor. Why click with the mouse if you don't have to?

Is this possible to do with ReaScript? It sounds like a DAW revolution to me!
or macros....
you could make macros that begin with select item under mouse and add to that any other action(s) you like.

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
gofer
-blänk-

I did a few macros editing things under the mouse cursor. They will do well as actions assigned to a mouse button as well, so I think the number will grow.

I recently did all sorts of paste at mouse cursor commands which are cool. I have "Paste at mouse cursor" assigned to CTRL+Insert, which I can trigger from an additional mouse button.
CTRL+Shift+Insert is "Paste time selected portion of item at mouse cursor" and CTRL+Alt+Insert is "Paste loop of time selected portion of item at mouse cursor". All of these obey snap settings.
So I can use that mouse button with modifiers to perform different pastes at the mouse cursor which feels almost like a tool

Example: Copy a time selected portion of the selected item and paste it at the mouse cursor position as a loop.

View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
Track: select track under mouse cursor
SWS: Set last touched track to match track selection
Item: Copy loop of selected portion of items (this is the row where my paste combos differ from each other)
Item: Paste items/tracks

Interesting: These combos will paste at edit cursor when you hover over tcp.

Example: Remove items under mouse cursor:
Item: Unselect all items
Item: set focus to item under mouse cursor
Remove items/tracks/env pts (depending on focus)

That one is also a mouse button here. It also removes (all selected) envelope points if an envelope has focus. No way yet to select envelope points under (next to) the mouse cursor automatically.

Could someone clarify the difference between Item: Select item under mouse cursor and Item: Set focus to item under mouse cursor?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
MikeLacey

Quote:
Could someone clarify the difference between Item: Select item under mouse cursor and Item: Set focus to item under mouse cursor?
Having Focus and being Selected are different things.

Many things (Tracks? Items?) can be selected - but only one thing (Track or Item) can have focus.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
MikeLacey

Quote:
Is this possible to do with ReaScript?
Easier in a macro perhaps - To do this in a macro you'd always call "select item under cursor" as the first action. It would unselect what was currently selected of course, that might be annoying.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
gofer
-blänk-

Of course. Thanks Mike.

They just feel the same when assigned to a mouse button from the toolbar and because "set focus" comes after "unselect all" in my macro they also behave the same in that context.
I just temporarily assigned keycommands to both and the difference came clearer .
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote