Old 09-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
lossius
Human being with feelings

Default Ambisonic Toolkit for Reaper

ATK for Reaper v.1.0.0 beta 10 is now available for download. This is a maintenance release fixing some issues that came up in the previous beta 9 release.

The more exciting news is that we have finally started making video tutorials on how to use ATK for Reaper. The first new screencast presents how to set up a Reaper project for decoding to headphones (binaural). Once the project is up and running, we look into four different ways of encoding mono sources using ATK for Reaper. The planewave, omni, spreader and diffuser encoders all offers different possibilities. This tutorial demonstrates how they work, in what ways they differ from each others, and presents some ideas for how they might be used in your ambisonic mixes.

Read more and view the new tutorial here:

http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/rele...-1.0.0b10.html

Last edited by lossius; 11-04-2021 at 04:54 AM.
lossius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
X-Raym

@Lossius
Cool that you now have video tutorial

IMHO, rather than creating a new thread for each release, you should have one thread only for your ATK related stuff,
it would be easier for people to subsribe to news about the project on the forum,
rather than checking if you post a new thread, they could have a notification (mail or user cp) of new activities on the thread.
Bumping this ATK thread regularly could also be good for SEO. It could also help see how the project evolves in a more convenient way.

I added ATK github repo to ReaTeam ReaScripts repo Readme: ReaScripts/README.md at master · ReaTeam/ReaScripts. It is used as a reference document to link other REAPER scripts repo (as it is included natively in ReaPack, people have high chance to click on about and then to discover other scripts, even if they are not ReaPack friendly).
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #3
lossius

Thanks for the suggestion. I see that this is how most folks deal with posts on the forum. Personally I don't like having to vade through heaps of old posts before getting to the more recent stuff, but I see your point with respect to subscribing to the post.

I'll make one last new thread when the the next release is out, and call it "Ambisonic Toolkit for Reaper", and then I'll stick to that for the future.

Thanks for mentioning ATK in the ReaScrips repo readme!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 AM   #4
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

This is wonderful news and perfect timing for me Trond. I'm actually about to start my first serious Ambisonic mix. I've just got a new paid gig mixing an album for a local band and they're pretty keen on what I've told them about Ambisonics. I also have my 3D cube array working much more effectively and have another Auratone 5C on the way (that will give me eight).

I'm going to go and have a look at some of those tutorials shortly and download the new beta.

I also sent Justin and John an email a week or two ago about Ambisonics and a possible dedicated section on the REAPER forum for it but not sure if they've seen the email.

Here's a copy of what I sent (I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this too):

Quote:

Dear Justin and John,

ReaDave here from the REAPER forum.

Given that REAPER is one of the best platforms for working with Ambisonic audio, I thought I'd write and suggest perhaps adding a dedicated Ambisonic section to the REAPER forum. There seems to be growing interest in this format now that YouTube have officially taken it onboard for their 360 video format and there's a lot of talk from people who work with Ambisonics and REAPER spread in obscure places on the web. There's a growing community of Ambisonic enthusiasts and developers on the REAPER forum itself now too.

Many film sound engineers are also using Ambisonics for location audio too. There's a good behind the scenes video about a new Australian film where much of the the location audio is being recorded in Ambisonic format using a Sound Devices 744T recorder and a Soundfield ST450 II mic here... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WDeGA8PL0qE

It would be great to have a well known and easily accessible 'home' for the discussion of this format and I believe the REAPER forum would be an ideal place for it. I'd be happy to help with moderation of that section if that would be helpful and would be active in promoting this section via my website and social media network.

Keen to hear your thoughts on this.

Regards,
David.

www.ambisonicmusic.com
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #5
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I also sent Justin and John an email a week or two ago about Ambisonics and a possible dedicated section on the REAPER forum for it but not sure if they've seen the email.
I would rather propose a "Multichannel/Surround/Ambisonics audio" forum section.

Audio involving more than 2 (reproduction) channels is a pretty niche topic to begin with, so I think a forum section involving an even more niche topic (Ambisonics) might not fly so well...
Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
lossius

A dedicated forum for multichannel audio would be useful, and I agree with Xenakios that it makes sense to cater for morethan ambisonics if it is to happen. Thanks for the initiative, ReaDave!

Oh, and by the way: I just added one more screencast. This time I'm encoding stereo sound sources. It's up on the web site, and the resulting Reaper projects can be downloaded from the "ATK for Reaper - Tutorials" page.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #7
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
I would rather propose a "Multichannel/Surround/Ambisonics audio" forum section.

Audio involving more than 2 (reproduction) channels is a pretty niche topic to begin with, so I think a forum section involving an even more niche topic (Ambisonics) might not fly so well...
Yeah. That makes a lot of sense to me too and would no doubt make that section a lot more active.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #8
edwood75

Quote:

Absolutely agree!
edwood75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossius View Post

Read more and view the new tutorial here:

http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/rele...-1.0.0b10.html
Going to watch this now, thanks for posting it.

I don't suppose Vimeo supports multichannel audio, so is that the reason you use the binaural decoder?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #10
lossius

Quote:
Going to watch this now, thanks for posting it.

I don't suppose Vimeo supports multichannel audio, so is that the reason you use the binaural decoder?
Yes, and I generally prefer advertisement-free hosting at Vimeo rather than having the videos bloated with advertisements at YouTube.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossius View Post
Yes, and I generally prefer advertisement-free hosting at Vimeo rather than having the videos bloated with advertisements at YouTube.
Well, Youtube doesn't support multichannel audio either... :-/ Vimeo could become a pioneer in this regard, maybe they should be hinted about this?
Old 09-14-2016, 03:01 AM   #12
Xenakios

Is the parameter automation broken in this release...? At least the RotateTiltTumble plugin doesn't seem to react to automation envelopes or parameter modulation here...(OS-X 10.11.6 64 bit, Reaper 5.25pre6.)
Old 09-14-2016, 03:44 AM   #13
lossius

Quote:
Is the parameter automation broken in this release...? At least the RotateTiltTumble plugin doesn't seem to react to automation envelopes or parameter modulation here...(OS-X 10.11.6 64 bit, Reaper 5.25pre6.)
Hi, there indeed seem to be two, maybe three issues:

- Parameter modulation is broken. This seems to be an issue in all plugins that have parameters describing azimuths. This probably happened in beta 9 when I swapped from describing azimuth as positive in clock-wise direction to rather have azimuh positive in counter-clockwise direction. This seems to be a bug introduced in Reaper 5 itself, rather than my plugins. I'll report this to the developers.
- Automation works for me when I record new automations. Still I notice a glitch during playback: If I automate a slow clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation so that it is moving from back left to back right or from back right to back left (so crossing the -180/180 degree switch at the back), this works smoothly while recording the automation. But on playback there is a glitch in the audio production that seems to indicate that some interpolation takes place that is not able to handle this switching well.
- Finally, if you are working on a project created pre beta 9, there might be issues with azimuth automations in the project, caused by how the azimuth was changed form beta 8 to beta 9. That change broke backwards compatibility.

Do this cover the issues that you see, or are there additional ones? I'll report the first two ones to the Reaper developers.