Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: How important would multiple screenset tabs be to you Reaper
This would be a big improvement in workflow for me. I want this as soon as possible 4 44.44%
This would be a nice new feature. 1 11.11%
Not really a high Priority 1 11.11%
No I don't like this at all 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
dreaminglife
Human being with feelings

Default Multiple Tabbed Screensets

Open Project in Multiple Tabbed Screensets

I have been thinking about accessing more features from the space in Reaper and decided it would help to open a project in multiple screensets each in its own tab. These tabs could be a sub-menu of the main project tab so you could have multiple projects open each with several screenset tabs.

At present when changing sets windows move all over the place. It would be nice not to see the whole page in flux at every change. It would feel more coherent to flip between sets and I know I would be changing sets a lot more, accessing more features and working more quickly.

Luv the new automation items and spectral editing.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 10-12-2017 at 06:29 PM.
dreaminglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
SubbaseDnB

Not sure what you mean??
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
dreaminglife

Default Open Project in Multiple Tabbed Screensets

1st Part shows me changing screenshots. "Very messy". The second part shows me changing project tabs "very clean".

Could we have an update that would enable us to open a project in multiple screensets, each screenset pre-loading in its own tab as a sub-tab to the project.

If the sets are all pre-loaded then hopefully we wouldn't see windows moving all over the place and the transition would be as smooth as going from one open project to another.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 10-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
raiirock

Since we pretty close to fully native recording situation ( I mean interfaces like ensemble 2 , quantum , slate vrs8 , which can record multiple inputs and monitor through fx without audible latency) it would be real nice if we can have multiple tabs for each project . For example , first tab main view , second tab drummers mix , third tab vocal mix e.g. I think we can discover even more interesting uses of this in the future .
+1 to this idea
raiirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
dreaminglife

Default Select Screensets In Project Settings

Raiirock - Thanks for the support

Your going further with the idea than I had envisaged. I was looking more at the types of window and menus available like a mixer window or a video window etc.

We would choose the screensets for a project (If we want them) in a dedicated tab in the project settings dialogue. Perhaps we could choose the tracks to be viewed in that screeset also. This could all be saved as part of the project file.

I just want to be able to set them up when i need them which might be most of the time

Last edited by dreaminglife; 10-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
raiirock

I think since we all using web browsers on daily basis the concept of tabs in application is very attractive to us .
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
dreaminglife

Default We Already Have Project Tabs in Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiirock View Post
I think since we all using web browsers on daily basis the concept of tabs in application is very attractive to us .
Raiirock you state the obvious well.

"Tabbed browsing" is a big solution to the size limits of our computer screens. Its not going away, a little like "copy and paste".

Reaper has already acknowledged its usefulness with project tabs which I really like.

Just imagine it.

A big mixer tab........ Full size midi editor tab........ Full size video tab

Or whatever combination you want to configure in your screensets.

Last edited by dreaminglife; 10-17-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #8
raiirock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminglife View Post
Raiirock you state the obvious well.

"Tabbed browsing" is a big solution to the size limits of our computer screens. Its not going away, a little like "copy and paste".

Reaper has already acknowledged its usefulness with project tabs which I really like.

Just imagine it.

A big mixer tab........ Full size midi editor tab........ Full size video tab

Or whatever combination you want to configure in your screensets.

Yeah , exactly. Now we have modular interface(WALTER , docable toolsets etc) but I think we can go further with tabs. Right now I can look at subrojects as a different view of project for example . Look at Google , they developing Chrome OS , whole system based on tabs .
Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 AM   #9
ivan.lt

Tabs are just another toolbar stylized to look like physical notebook tabs. The downside (for me) is they take up screen space. I'd rather have a drop down menu for this kind of things (open projects, browser windows, etc.). You want cleaner screenset changing, which I want too, but it's a request on its own, there is no need to introduce tabs for this.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
dreaminglife

Default Screen Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
The downside (for me) is they take up screen space You want cleaner screenset changing, which I want too, but it's a request on its own, there is no need to introduce tabs for this.
You could choose to use the existing menu options for screensets if you choose not to assign tabs in the project settings (or perhaps in another menu).
Space is premium in computing but I feel we would be gaining smoother access to a lot of extra space. 3 screensets = approx 3X your current space.

To get a smooth transition between screensets I believe the sets we wanted to use would need to be preloaded. The project tabs we have now take up very little room and you can choose not to use them by having only one project open at a time.

If the Reaper coders can achieve a much smoother transition between sets that would definitely help but personally I would still like the option of tabbed sets.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
dreaminglife

Default Some Tabs Already in Reaper 5

There are a lot of tabs in reaper menus. Here is some evidence of just how beneficial [essential] they are.

How functional would reaper be without the docker tabs which allow us to have multiple features of reaper at hand. Some folk probably don't use them and that is their prerogative.
Also the FX Browser is open in a docker tab and has its own text menu on the left to open multiple options all in one small resizable window

The preferences menu doesn't have tabs but has a menu at the side where one can select a multitude of screens all in one small window. Its the same feature, just has lines of text instead of tabs.

In project settings there are tabs which makes the menu much smaller for the amount of choices it provides.

There are Reaper users who purchase an extra monitor or 2. But we cant all go out and buy multiple monitors and large desks to put them due to lack of screen space. How much would that cost the planet and environment? Save the earth people [I'll try anything]

Last edited by dreaminglife; 10-20-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #12
ivan.lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminglife View Post
How functional would reaper be without the docker tabs which allow us to have multiple features of reaper at hand. Some folk probably don't use them and that is their prerogative.
I'm one of them. Okay, some clarification is in order. We list things on screen when we need a visual reminder of the available options (like in the Preferences window). Or when clicking is the best/only method of invocation. Now, when a procedure or options are well known beforehand, the visual reminder is not needed. E.g. you could have a Copy (Ctrl-C) button visible at all times but since you already know this command and the keyboard shortcut is more useful, the visible reminder is tucked away in the Edit menu (just in case). For me, screensets are exactly such feature that I don't need to be constantly reminded of visually.

I guess the bottom line is, more options to suit everyone's needs, which includes the optional hiding of things and assigning shortcuts.
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
dreaminglife

Default Not Enough Shortcuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
We list things on screen when we need a visual reminder of the available options (like in the Preferences window). Or when clicking is the best/only method of invocation. Now, when a procedure or options are well known beforehand, the visual reminder is not needed. E.g. you could have a Copy (Ctrl-C) button visible at all times but since you already know this command and the keyboard shortcut is more useful
Yes that's true visual reminders help me a lot cause there are just so many features in Reaper. I just counted the number of menus that currently open in the preferences window and it is 37. You are really eating into your shortcuts to just to bring up those screens. The options available are probably 500 - 600 at least. That's all your shortcut keys gone long ago. We don't actually have enough shortcuts for the multitude of actions .

Quote:
Or when clicking is the best/only method of invocation.
Ok, I hate switching between one handed clicking and two handed tying. One reason is my keyboard is currently placed a right angle to my desktop. I need a desk that has a keyboard drawer slide out.
Its more than just reminders and clicking though for me Its the whole feel of pre-loaded tabs is much better. I do believe that to get a smooth transition the tabs will have to be pre-loaded and that's likely why the transition currently is not smooth. But its not just the smooth transition its the whole feel of tabs I like, so long as they are an option only.

This will probably come down to how much memory it will take to preload the screensets and the level of difficulty in coding this feature into Reaper's code. Any comments about this would be welcome.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
dreaminglife

Default Screenset Tabbs Could Look Like This

If you take a look at the image you will see the Reaper project tabs.

Underneath is a thin band split into sections colored with various shades of black grey and white. Each section would represent a screenset. You would be able to click on that area + above it in the project tab. Hover messages would tell you which screenset each tab related to. You could then click the one you wanted.
This project screenset menu band would only appear if you had selected multiple screensets in the project settings menu.

I have used black grey etc rather than colors as they may or may not be changeable in different themes.
Of course there would be other ways to implement this but I thought I'd try to find one that saved space.
Attached Images
File Type: png REAPER PROJECT TAB.png (4.9 KB, 825 views)

Last edited by dreaminglife; 01-16-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
dreaminglife

Default Arbitrary Limits to Number of Screensets Open

..........OK, I have no idea about the amount of system resources having multiple screensets preloaded would use so I will ask for any realistic comments on this rather important factor.

We can already have multiple projects open [all in the same screeset] so adding say 5 screenset's pre-loaded per project could grow and grow and grow............... Doesn't take much to see that.

That's where arbitrary + recommended limits could be imposed and be useful. In project settings [or somewhere else] we could specify a limit to the total number of preloaded screensets for slow, medium and fast systems.

.......... Any ideas anyone.
............. ???