Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #121
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I'm not sure how this'd work. You'd want all the notes at the break point to be split? And then everything under the split to be muted (unplayed) midi notes? And then when you remove the break, it has to glue it back together again? What about notes that were split before you put the break in? I wouldn't have any way to determine that they shouldn't be glued.
This is meant for a future 'buzz playlist' feature, having there buzz' break feature. It should be a thought experiment how it could be implemented for Reaper, using item split and muting rest from split point until item end. This is what buzz breaks are doing, to my knowledge, in its playlist.

Actually in my Reaper arrange bindings, via vimper, I am using following technique for mouse editing/muting, if I click an item on its upper half it will be muted. Clicking again will unmute, so it is a mute toggle. However you have the right splits available first, then also right item selections. Let me check quickly which actions I am using currently, via vimper, (going looking up bindings), here what it does:

PHP Code:
CustomSPLIT AND TOGGLE MUTE
  Item
Split items at time selection
  Item properties
Toggle mute 
But if I click on the bottom half of an item, it does following auto-loop, in arrange:
PHP Code:
CustomAUTO-LOOP
  Time selection
Set time selection to items
  Item
Split items at time selection
  Item
Glue items
  Script
kawa_MAIN_SetItemEndToNextItemStart_Type2.lua 
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #122
TonE

Showing item selection and tracker following, plus track selection in latest hackey trackey v1.72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OdFiFmZSY

Let us mix in some Mathew Jonson here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPmvw4_uVY

Last edited by TonE; 07-12-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #123
vdubreeze

Can someone point me to a little Midi Tracker For Dummies? : ) This looks like fun but I can't get to first base with it. It's me.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #124
Nixon

Saike thanks for switching tracks and all your efforts

I have one teenie weenie request though...

Is it possible to have a monitoring mode only? (without note entry, but triggering the track just like the virtual piano does)
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #125
TonE

You have it already. In default bindings, hit Control-R (Rec gets yellow), then ESC (Rec gets BLUE). Then have fun.

In some modes this was not working yet, I guess, try with default bindings first. F11, Key mapping, default.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #126
Nixon

Thanks Tone
Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 AM   #127
sai'ke

Hey peeps,

apologies for being relatively inactive the past few weeks. It's been really busy at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Can someone point me to a little Midi Tracker For Dummies? : ) This looks like fun but I can't get to first base with it. It's me.

Thanks.
I would recommend experimenting a lot. What is giving you trouble?

It might make sense to look at some other tracked music, to sort of get a feel for what patterns typically look like and how people tend to group/sort their columns.

F1 brings up a help with the keys. You don't _really_ need them, but shortcuts are quite useful to get fast with the tracker.

Also, hit CTRL + R to arm a track so you hear what you play. I think that's pretty helpful for coming up with new stuff.

CTRL + L loops the pattern you are currently in (but you can also set it to do that automatically in the options if you prefer that).
Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #128
kmkrebs

I'm really late to this party, but I just installed this script and I'm having the most satisfying Buzz flashbacks. I can't commend you enough on this -- it opens up a brand new method of working in Reaper. Thank you.

Now, if we could ever get a modular effect system built into Reaper...
Old 08-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #129
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkrebs View Post
I'm really late to this party, but I just installed this script and I'm having the most satisfying Buzz flashbacks. I can't commend you enough on this -- it opens up a brand new method of working in Reaper. Thank you.

Now, if we could ever get a modular effect system built into Reaper...
Thanks man!

I am dinking around with one, but the two workflows don't always map nicely to one another. When/*If* I have a working prototype I'll start a new thread for it, since it is quite a bit different from HT and I don't want to confound the two threads

Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #130
sai'ke

Getting there

Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #131
kmkrebs

Well, you just blew my mind.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #132
Lunar Ladder

What. What? What what!

First the tracker and now this.

Sorry, I don't have anything particularly constructive to say, but these are subjectively some of the most exciting scripts I've seen here in a long time, snifff, purely from the creative and geeky and nostalgic and outside of the box awesomeness of it all

Thanks for the tracker script that evolved into an actually useful alternative MIDI view for us tracker old timers, for those times when we have an urge to shift our point of view into tracker land, even for a moment, annnnd thanks for doing these recent routing experiments à la Buzz as well now. Can't wait to try that one when/if it gets there!
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 AM   #133
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
What. What? What what!

First the tracker and now this.

Sorry, I don't have anything particularly constructive to say, but these are subjectively some of the most exciting scripts I've seen here in a long time, snifff, purely from the creative and geeky and nostalgic and outside of the box awesomeness of it all

Thanks for the tracker script that evolved into an actually useful alternative MIDI view for us tracker old timers, for those times when we have an urge to shift our point of view into tracker land, even for a moment, annnnd thanks for doing these recent routing experiments à la Buzz as well now. Can't wait to try that one when/if it gets there!
Thanks!

I opened a new thread for it with the github link if you want to take it for a spin: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2019741
Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #134
TonE

Thanks for the additions, the playlist will be last, it seems.
-tracker
-machines
-playlist

Did not try the machines yet, but I am sure it has some awesome use cases. Can comment again, after trying it, at some point. Thanks sai'ke.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #135
todd_r

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this. Used to use Buzz and still using Renoise. This and Hackey Machines look great. Excited to see something on Hackey-Patterns

(I've set this as my alt midi editor )
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #136
TonE

Would not playlist be a better name than 'patterns'?
Old Today, 08:41 AM   #137
hangnef

This is a pretty awesome plugin. I usually rewire Reaper with Renoise, but this is looking to be much easier.

Is there a setting to have the current position bar (the yellow one) still show up after going past 31? Seems to go away once the scrolling starts.

Also, is there a way to only show, say MIDI Ch 1? Other than my electronic drums, I don't use anything other than channel 1.

One thing I'm loving that renoise doesn't have yet is the ability to remap ALL of the keyboard shortcuts, including the keys used for note input. I made a vi keyset and it is pretty nice.

Great stuff, thank you!

Last edited by hangnef; Today at 10:27 AM.
hangnef is online now   Reply With Quote