Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default Localization: i8n-test -- post issues with localizing here

There is a build of REAPER with initial, experimental localization features, available here:

http://landoleet.org/i8n/

In this thread, please discuss any issues you find when creating a localization, i.e. if you find that setting certain strings do not work, or if you have ideas to speed the process up.

There is a separate thread for posts about bugs in this version of REAPER vs the normal version(s), please post those sort of bugs there and not here.

Notes:
  • At this time only REAPER itself and the MIDI editor are localizable, we will be doing more in the future to improve this.
  • Many of the dialog resources will not have room for longer translations -- we apologize for this and will be improving that in the future, before a general release without any doubt.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

0MG! R34p3r l33t!

You sirs are so nuts, I love you
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Great !!!! Thx !!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
SoulOne82
Human being with feelings

S*U*P*A*D*U*P*A*F*U*N*K*Y*F*R*E*S*H
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
axel_ef

First I had problems with "German Umlauts", after setting to Unicode UTF-8, no BOM all is ok.
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Juca

From the link:
"Note: to test, grab a langpack file from landoleet."
I not saw any langpack at landoleet. Where I get the langpacks?
Greetins.
Juca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
gofer
-blänk-

I just finished the version for the planet Vulcan and fellow member Mr Data.

But seriously, holy workhorse Batman! That's a task. We're going to need a good strategy and tools to collab with this.

EDIT: Juca, language packs are the *.txt files over there. A the moment there's english, lower case, upper case and leet.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
btonebeatz

Default Better GUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
There is a build of REAPER with initial, experimental localization features, available here:

In this thread, please discuss any issues you find when creating a localization, i.e. if you find that setting certain strings do not work, or if you have ideas to speed the process up.

There is a separate thread for posts about bugs in this version of REAPER vs the normal version(s), please post those sort of bugs there and not here.

Notes:
  • At this time only REAPER itself and the MIDI editor are localizable, we will be doing more in the future to improve this.
  • Many of the dialog resources will not have room for longer translations -- we apologize for this and will be improving that in the future, before a general release without any doubt.
If Reaper had at better Gui for its effect I would really be happy, but for now I am over Protools and all the other pocket emptying DAW's
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btonebeatz View Post
If Reaper had at better Gui for its effect I would really be happy, but for now I am over Protools and all the other pocket emptying DAW's
Magnificent second post that's totally unrelated to the thread it's posted to.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:39 AM   #10
SEA

Quote:
What exactly is this and how much of a leap forward would this be for the current version of Reaper?

Thanks!
SEA

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
EvilDragon

SEA - a localized version of Reaper allows translating properties, menus, and whatnot in Reaper, to any language (provided there's a language file for that language). It's not much of a leap, but it will make Reaper multilingual, which is a nice thing, right?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
I'm very willing to start the French translation. But before starting, I need assistance (proof-reading and sharing of the workload of the translation itself). Who's in ze Frenchy team?
Count me in the Frenchy Team, I'm in.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Raja

Quote:

Notes:
what is an i8n???? please explain....
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
what is an i8n???? please explain....
Probably a "compression" of the more proper "i18n" term.

Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...d_localization

- Mario
mabian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Raja

Default k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Probably a "compression" of the more proper "i18n" term.

Look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...d_localization

- Mario
i read this link, do it means i will get reaper in my mother tongue?? do it supports indian language??? how can i install reaper in indian language?? will you provide me some help bro???
Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
EvilDragon

First you'll have to translate it to your language.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #17
Raja

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
First you'll have to translate it to your language.
can i change the letters and fonts too???
i just now read that help in development page. can it be translated to Hindi or Tamil like its as shown there???
if i do , will reaper team accept it and release it to rest of indian and Tamil users???
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
i read this link, do it means i will get reaper in my mother tongue?? do it supports indian language??? how can i install reaper in indian language??
What it means is that once you or somebody else kind enough has translated the language pack file (eg "leet.txt") to one of the Indian languages, it will then be available in that language to everybody else too. So far only available with the experimental Reaper build.

Link to the language pack files and instructions was already on top;

edit: promptly beaten by EvilDragon...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Javier Robledo

Default Some lines in MAC/PC

Hello friends, I have been working with the new template (9Feb2015), but still have a problem that I think it´s already mentioned in this Thread but I cant find the answer.

The thing is that some lines that are translated in the .txt, are OK for the PC version but not in MAC

Does anybody know how to solve this?

I attach two images in which the same Langpack is used so you can see what I´m talking about.

Thanks a lot ¡¡¡
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solo Mute.jpg (68.3 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg Diálogo FX 2.jpg (63.5 KB, 619 views)
Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:39 AM   #20
Javier Robledo

Default Can Somebody Help me please ?

Can Somebody Help me please ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post
Hello friends, I have been working with the new template (9Feb2015), but still have a problem that I think it´s already mentioned in this Thread but I cant find the answer.

The thing is that some lines that are translated in the .txt, are OK for the PC version but not in MAC

Does anybody know how to solve this?

I attach two images in which the same Langpack is used so you can see what I´m talking about.

Thanks a lot ¡¡¡

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solo Mute.jpg (63.5 KB, 601 views)

Last edited by Javier Robledo; 03-11-2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Inserting Images
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
Jeffos
Mortal

A new template langpack is available (on lol/i8n): template_2015-03-23.ReaperLangPack.

It contains new strings, etc but it mainly allows you fixing OSX menu issues like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecl View Post

A bit more work, but the various context menus as well as the main REAPER menu should translate fine on OSX now...
Well, let us know if not!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #22
Javier Robledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
* B
8 C-45

One One Two Two

Boogie Woogie Avenue
Has this something to be with what I posted ??? Is any king of code to copy for solving the tranlation problem ?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #23
dimitris_T

Default Greek translation

I will try to start a Greek translation.
If anyone else from Greece here, please let me know.
dimitris_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #24
james-eric

Quote:

Notes:
hello Justin
Can you update the merge_langpacks tool in your development free time at reaper?
Currently merging reaper658+dev0526.ReaperLangPack with merge_langpacks
and
658.ReaperLangPack
the process will result in
not in template, possibly obsolete
entries.
If the translation language spans too much, there will be a lot of
translation entries starting with
Hopefully you can add a parameter option to the merge_langpacks tool,
to clean up outdated translation entries after the translation merge.
thanks
james-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #25
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-eric View Post
hello Justin
Can you update the merge_langpacks tool in your development free time at reaper?
Currently merging reaper658+dev0526.ReaperLangPack with merge_langpacks
and
658.ReaperLangPack
the process will result in
entries.
If the translation language spans too much, there will be a lot of
translation entries starting with
Hopefully you can add a parameter option to the merge_langpacks tool,
to clean up outdated translation entries after the translation merge.
thanks

Hi James-Eric,

At first glance such an option looks quite handy, but translating REAPER for years now taught me that it can lead into a real chaos. There are several reasons. First of all it's very likely that you can translate strings that are not in the template at all, but still work when you translate them. So "possibly obsolete" isn't necessarily obsolete. I experienced many cases where I translated strings years ago that work, but when merging with a new template they are still marked "possibly obsolete", because they never were added to the template. The result could be a loss of real hard work when all sections marked "possibly obsolete" would be removed from the translated file by such an option. If you afterwards check your translation you could find yourself in a situation, wondering why strings at runtime of REAPER suddenly are not translated anymore, although you could swear you translated them at some point.

There are a lot of cases where strings can be translated, but still never found a way into the template. The template isn't guaranteed to be complete at all. If you find strings that are e.g. in a dialog that don't appear to be translated, while others in the same dialog do, try to translate them anyway and see whether they work. A lot of them will, actually.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 08-09-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:20 AM   #26
tohubohu

Default BUG TO FIX

BUG to FIX

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=271122

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=270195
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #27
tohubohu

Default bug to fix on track group manager

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=273946
Old 06-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #28
Claudio saiere

Default Arrastar e colar groove de bateria

Bom dia , sou novo no forum e espero que eu não esteja desrespeitando nenhuma regra.
Tenho um problema e gostaria muito de uma ajuda se possivel.
Uso no Reaper o plugin de bateria MT Drum kit 2 , mas não consigo arrastar os grooves do plugin para as trilha, quando tento aparece uma mensagem de erro do Reaper dizendo: " não foi possivel importar o arquivo" será que alguém saberia porque acontece isso?
E poderia me dar o passo a passo de como resolver este problema? Eu ficaria imensamente grato. forte abraço a todos!

Last edited by Claudio saiere; 06-07-2022 at 07:23 AM. Reason: erro de escrita
Claudio saiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #29
Phroneris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudio saiere View Post
Bom dia , sou novo no forum e espero que eu não esteja desrespeitando nenhuma regra.
Tenho um problema e gostaria muito de uma ajuda se possivel.
Uso no Reaper o plugin de bateria MT Drum kit 2 , mas não consigo arrastar os grooves do plugin para as trilha, quando tento aparece uma mensagem de erro do Reaper dizendo: " não foi possivel importar o arquivo" será que alguém saberia porque acontece isso?
E poderia me dar o passo a passo de como resolver este problema? Eu ficaria imensamente grato. forte abraço a todos!
Hello!

I can't read your language directly, but according to machine translation of your post, this thread doesn't seem suitable for your issue.
This thread is just for localization topics.
You should visit REAPER Non-English Speaking User Forums instead: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Old 06-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #30
Dubnick

Default Noticing some small bugs in my "normal" Reaper build versions after using dev builds.

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is some sort of simple user error that I am missing, but I am noticing a couple weird things when going back to the "regular" Reaper builds after using the dev builds to check out the progress of fixed item lanes from my desktop folder portable Reaper install of dev builds:

- Even though I am not using fixed item lanes in the regular builds because it doesn't have that yet, I am still getting the diagonal lines below my takes (screenshot attached).

- For some weird reason, even though my preferences still have have free item positioning unchecked (as I always have) and never manually switch to free item positioning, all my tracks I record to are defaulting to "free item positioning" every time in the regular build. Never experienced this until I started checking out fixed item lanes in the betas.

Again, sincere apologies if this is an error on my part and there is something obvious I am missing.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Diagonal Lines.png (74.6 KB, 170 views)
Dubnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #31
Javier Robledo

Default Synonyms

Hi ¡¡¡

Is there a max number of synonyms lines ?

Till 00000000000000015 works fine but 00000000000000016 does not work.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #32
tohubohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Robledo View Post
Hi ¡¡¡

Is there a max number of synonyms lines ?

Till 00000000000000015 works fine but 00000000000000016 does not work.

Thanks
hello javier
look at here
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=274951
Old 04-06-2023, 01:07 AM   #33
Giorgos Peresoglou

Default Good morning from Greece.

Good morning from Greece. I am very happy to be near you! I would like your valuable help with a problem I am facing.
I would like to translate the program into Greek, but I don't know which text file I should download.
Also, I would like to inform you that I am visually impaired, but I will do my best to translate the program into my language.
A direct link to download the package would help. Thank you in advance for your help.
Giorgos Peresoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:20 AM   #34
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos Peresoglou View Post
Good morning from Greece. I am very happy to be near you! I would like your valuable help with a problem I am facing.
I would like to translate the program into Greek, but I don't know which text file I should download.
Also, I would like to inform you that I am visually impaired, but I will do my best to translate the program into my language.
A direct link to download the package would help. Thank you in advance for your help.
Oh that would be nice, ευχαριστώ
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 01:48 AM   #35
tohubohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
I've encountered a few weird characters as well, especially in the undo history list when the description (undo text) exceeds the length of the allowed number of chars and at the position where the string gets truncated is such a special character, like ä, ö, ü, or more likely in French é or è.
-Data
Can you take a screenshot for me so I can see the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos Peresoglou View Post
Good morning,
I am one of the two French translators.
you come at the right time.
Justin F. created a translation assistance software called LangPackEdit, which I asked him to do. He quickly did.
It is currently in a bit of a testing phase, but we have been using it for three months with the main French translator Leejul (who is also visually impaired). LangPackEdit works great for accessibility.
If you use it, don't hesitate to do some tests in time to make sure everything is working well. In principle, it works. But the more we use it to test it, the better it will work.
You can find it at this link: https://www.landoleet.org/i8n/
download the third version: langpackedit 003...the third version is accessible for the blind.
To download the English template, it's here:
https://www.landoleet.org/old/
you need to download the file named:
reaper678.ReaperLangPack

If you need advice, Leejul (the main French blind translator) can give it to you. He can perhaps explain to you from experience the procedure to follow to avoid errors. (eg how he designed the lexicon). etc...
There are 25,000 lines to translate. In my opinion, I would advise you to start by translating the menus, before translating the windows which will require resizing. You will need someone with sight at this time. Don't get started without thinking a lot about the choice of words beforehand
I would like Justin F. to explain to all of us (unless some know) the name of the translation blocks: when it says 'MENU', it's a menu, but when it says for example IDD or What is IDR?
If you can't use langpackedit, I'll explain.
Good translation

EDIT : the link to our French lexicon
https://reaperaccessible.fr/archives...ack%20FRC.html
Old 04-06-2023, 03:27 AM   #36
Giorgos Peresoglou

Default Greek

Good afternoon.First of all, thank you very much for the answer. Of course it is very important. Where there are visually impaired people. In this particular forum. The developers really deserve kudos. They have studied. For accessibility. F I have to do. The first question.F I have entered the goal.In the application.How should I start?Thank you very much.In advance for the answer.
Giorgos Peresoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #37
tohubohu

@giorgios
I didn't understand what you are asking.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #38
Mr. Data

Hello Giorgos,

good to have you here!

What you need to translate is a template file, which is the file to begin with. It contains all strings that are translatable (or at least should be). There are template files with every new version of REAPER. Even dev versions (these are in between versions that are uploaded for users who want to check new features or fixes that were made) and RCs (Release Candidats) get their own template file. I personally don't deal with them 'cos it would take too much time to translate versions that are unofficial anyway. Believe me, it's hard enough to keep official releases up-to-date.

Here's a link to the language template for the current official REAPER version v6.78.

https://www.landoleet.org/old/reaper678.ReaperLangPack

First thing you should do after you've downloaded it is to copy it so you have two of them. The first one should stay untouched and the second one is the one you do your translations in, which you should call e.g. translation.ReaperLangPack or so. The first (untouched) file is the one you later on merge with your translation file. Also I use this to check things when I feel I get stuck at some point so I still have the original string right at hand.

To merge the template with the translation (later on) you need a small program called 'merge_langpacks.exe' which you can download here:
https://www.landoleet.org/i8n/merge_langpacks.exe
If you later have done a translation file and merge it with the template, you can see which strings are not present anymore in future versions and which strings have been added.

Depending on the way you want to work, also the tool Tohubohu proposed to use, can be a big time-saver. https://www.landoleet.org/i8n/LangPackEdit003_win64.zip
(The links are for Windows of course.)
I tried it, but for me the text is too small (and I couldn't make it bigger), since I'm visually impaired as well.

OK, Back to the template:
The first lines of it look like this:

Code:
#NAME:Template (edit-me)
; NOTE: this is the best starting point for making a new langpack.
; As you translate a string, remove the ; from the beginning of the
; line. If the line begins with ;^, then it is an optional string,
; and you should only modify that line if the definition in [common]
; is not accurate for that context.
; You can enlarge windows using 5CA1E00000000000=scale, for example:
; [DLG_218] ; IDD_LOCKSETTINGS
; 5CA1E00000000000=1.2
; This makes the above dialog 1.2x wider than default.
The first line
Code:
#NAME:Template (edit-me)
holds the title that is displayed later in REAPER at runtime on the 'General' page of the preferences dialog in a dropdown menu.
In the German version (which I'm doing) for instance this line looks like this:
Code:
#NAME:Deutsch [DE] [v6.78] (inkl. SWS) (230323)
As you can see, the language file consists of blocks.
In the lines below each block title you find the strings to translate to the right of the '='

I think, that's enough (if not too much) to begin with.
If you have any more questions or need more info you can be assured there are many helping hands here.

Just a little warning: If you have downloaded the template file, scroll down to the end and decide whether you really want to do this! It can be a PITA, nerve wrecking and boring and it surely isn't done in two days or two weeks or even months, especially when you're just starting.

-Data
Old 04-06-2023, 02:29 PM   #39
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohubohu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
I've encountered a few weird characters as well, especially in the undo history list when the description (undo text) exceeds the length of the allowed number of chars and at the position where the string gets truncated is such a special character, like ä, ö, ü, or more likely in French é or è.
Can you take a screenshot for me so I can see the problem?
I'd like to, but I can't do it ad hoc, because I just noticed it as I was doing some other translation. The Thing is that the undo string has to be truncated and at the truncation point there has to be some of these chars (which I already wrote). What I didn't mention though was, that the same crippled char was present earlier in the string and there it was crippled too. If e.g. È or so isn't at the truncation point, the string seems to be displayed correct.

Concerning the screenshot, I'll see what I can do.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 04-08-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 03:29 AM   #40
Edison

Particularly for comparing versions of ReaperLangPack, I use the WinMerge software, for Windows only. Approximately 6 years ago.