Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #41
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Hey Tod,

This is excellent work! How does it compare to the Big Mono Tod's Drums package I already have?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #42
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Hey Tod,

This is excellent work! How does it compare to the Big Mono Tod's Drums package I already have?
Hi again Kirk, it's quite different in many respects.

There are 3 different snares, actually 4, but the "Snare65 NoRing" and "Snare67 NoRing" sound a lot alike.

To me there are some things that sound better in the SMDrums, but so much of that is very subjective.

There is a snare I called "Snare_HyB" that has a lot of snap that cuts through pretty well with many mixes. It' needs to be processed with two or three IRs to bring out the tone but it can work very well when you need something to cut through a mix. I use both this and the Big Mono snare a lot.

If you'd like to try them out and you don't have Kontakt, I'd try the Sforzando version, it has DFD (Direct From Disk) and works very well. The DFD works very well, I was quite impressed.

It has a learning curve but once you understand it, it's faily easy. It's rather large, the sample download is around 2.2gig.

Be sure and check out the manual very closely, for how to install it all.

This is the link to pick up the free Sforzando.
http://www.plogue.com/products/Sforzando/

This is the link to SMDrums, the files for Sforzando are on the SFZ page.
https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/

If you run into problems or need help, you can email me.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #43
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Hi again Kirk, it's quite different in many respects.

There are 3 different snares, actually 4, but the "Snare65 NoRing" and "Snare67 NoRing" sound a lot alike.

To me there are some things that sound better in the SMDrums, but so much of that is very subjective.

There is a snare I called "Snare_HyB" that has a lot of snap that cuts through pretty well with many mixes. It' needs to be processed with two or three IRs to bring out the tone but it can work very well when you need something to cut through a mix. I use both this and the Big Mono snare a lot.

If you'd like to try them out and you don't have Kontakt, I'd try the Sforzando version, it has DFD (Direct From Disk) and works very well. The DFD works very well, I was quite impressed.

It has a learning curve but once you understand it, it's faily easy. It's rather large, the sample download is around 2.2gig.

Be sure and check out the manual very closely, for how to install it all.

This is the link to pick up the free Sforzando.
http://www.plogue.com/products/Sforzando/

This is the link to SMDrums, the files for Sforzando are on the SFZ page.

If you run into problems or need help, you can email me.
The idea would be to integrate with the Big Mono Tod's Drums in RSK5.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
The idea would be to integrate with the Big Mono Tod's Drums in RSK5.
Okay, it takes a lot of RAM with RS5K, but using pieces of them together should work very well.

In that case down load the samples for Reaper from my first post in this thread.

The instructions in the manual should get you started.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #45
Rangler

I'm downloading this set right now. Do you have the MIDI of the sample songs? I'd love to see how you programmed the drums on those tracks. They sound very realistic.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #46
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
I'm downloading this set right now. Do you have the MIDI of the sample songs? I'd love to see how you programmed the drums on those tracks. They sound very realistic.
Hi Ranger, yes, I think I put the two demo midi tracks on all versions.

There are two midi tracks, one is for the drums (kick, snare, sidestick, and Toms). The 2nd midi track is for all the cymbals.

I like to program my midi tracks like that because then the velocities are much easier to adjust.

You mentioned you have a lot of ram so you can probably use the "SMDrums (7100) FX" version, it will require over 7.1Gig of ram, but has everything, all the samples, RRs, and Layers.

I just checked and I see I did put FX on every output track. I think they are all EQs and are only there as a suggestion, not because they are necessarily the best.

Also something I've learned since my last update, on the "Snare_HyB" snare you can get some nice sounds by lowering the Pitchbend slightly. You'd have to experiment, but I've used it in Kontakt set as low as "-.8", in Reaper I think that would be "-1.2". I've found it works real nice for some songs. To make it work you have to set it on all 8 "Snare_HyB" snares which includes the rimshots.

God luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #47
Tod

Also for anyone checking this thread, I added some more demos to the first post.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:13 AM   #48
Rangler

These files worked perfectly from the get go! No hunting around for hidden tracks, FX, routing. Everything is laid out logically.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #49
Tod

Quote:
These files worked perfectly from the get go! No hunting around for hidden tracks, FX, routing. Everything is laid out logically.
Great Rangler, good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #50
Philbo King

Thank you for this wonderful sounding sample kit!
Awesome work!
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #51
Tod

Thanks Philbo King.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #52
wolff

Hello Tod and Suileman for some great work here. I've just moved to Reaper from Ableton, where I had SMDrums running beautifully. I was using your Multi-mic pack and right now I'm add those into RS5K, but tossing up whether I just go with Suileman's stereo mixes in MegaReaper Drumkit.

Anyway, my question - where is the Floor tom sample? I've looked in both Multi-mic and MegaReaper Drumkit and I can't see it. What am I missing?
wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #53
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolff View Post
Hello Tod and Suileman for some great work here. I've just moved to Reaper from Ableton, where I had SMDrums running beautifully. I was using your Multi-mic pack and right now I'm add those into RS5K, but tossing up whether I just go with Suileman's stereo mixes in MegaReaper Drumkit.

Anyway, my question - where is the Floor tom sample? I've looked in both Multi-mic and MegaReaper Drumkit and I can't see it. What am I missing?
Hi wolff, and welcome to the forum.

You mention Multi-mic pack, Which samples are you using for this. Kontakt is actually the only version that was programmed with the multi-mic samples. Do you have Kontakt?

There were some problems reported with getting the mega-kit to work, that was Suleiman's project and hopefully he'll figure it out.

If you're going to use RS5K I recommend the stereo samples, because RS5K uses a lot of RAM. Of course if you got lots of RAM, at least 16gig or more, it might not be a problem.

Regarding the Toms, Toms 3 is the floor tom.

Let me know if you have any more questions or problems.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #54
wolff

Quote:
You mention Multi-mic pack, Which samples are you using for this. Kontakt is actually the only version that was programmed with the multi-mic samples. Do you have Kontakt?
So I started with Kontakt until I worked out I had to buy it. Then I made my own kit using the Kontakt multi-mic samples in Ableton Live.

Quote:
If you're going to use RS5K I recommend the stereo samples, because RS5K uses a lot of RAM. Of course if you got lots of RAM, at least 16gig or more, it might not be a problem.
Now I've moved to Reaper, I have modified Suleiman's Reaper project to use the Kontakt Multi-mic samples (I've got 16GB). I am tempted to just use his Stereo samples - but I process my room and overhead mics differently, so I really love your multi-mic pack. Have you posted elsewhere in the forum how you run your different mic samples into the mixing desk? All OH's to an OH track? Same for Room Mic?

Quote:
Regarding the Toms, Toms 3 is the floor tom.
Ok, so does that make Tom 1 Mid Tom and Tom 2 Low Tom? Or Tom 1 High tom and Tom 2 Mid Tom?

I have a blog post (https://tatius-wolff.blogspot.com.au...-drum-kit.html) about how made my drums in Ableton, as I mixed sounds from MT Power Drum Kit 2, your SM Drums, The Metal Kick Drum and some Ableton's kits to make a mega drum kit (13,15,16,17" cymbals, 8,10,12" splash, China, ride, 3 toms, 2 floor toms, 2 kicks, hi-hat). I'm really hoping to re-create that in Reaper - I'd be happy to share if I pull it off.
wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #55
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolff View Post
So I started with Kontakt until I worked out I had to buy it. Then I made my own kit using the Kontakt multi-mic samples in Ableton Live.
Okay, I understand, although I'm not sure how you managed it with Kontakt, but that's okay.

Quote:
Now I've moved to Reaper, I have modified Suleiman's Reaper project to use the Kontakt Multi-mic samples (I've got 16GB). I am tempted to just use his Stereo samples - but I process my room and overhead mics differently, so I really love your multi-mic pack. Have you posted elsewhere in the forum how you run your different mic samples into the mixing desk? All OH's to an OH track? Same for Room Mic?
In Kontakt they are set up so you can set your own levels for each drum kit piece, OH, close and Room where it's available. You also have the Over & Under with most of the snares. I had Kontakt set up so you could adjust the volume of each mic, as well as pan, and velocity intensity for each kit piece. In other words you could set up the mix of each of the kit pieces before they went to the DAW. Each kit piece has it's own Reaper output. I opted for this rather then separate OH and Room mic outputs, because I think it gives you better overall control. Of course there's the nostalgia or a real miced drum kit, but I feel that way of doing it doesn't have as much control of the sound.

Quote:
Ok, so does that make Tom 1 Mid Tom and Tom 2 Low Tom? Or Tom 1 High tom and Tom 2 Mid Tom?
Tom 1 is Hi, Tom 2 is mid, and Tom 3 is the floor tom. Like I said, Tom 4 was created from Tom 3. If they aren't listed that way, then it's an oversight on my part.

Quote:
I have a blog post (https://tatius-wolff.blogspot.com.au...-drum-kit.html) about how made my drums in Ableton, as I mixed sounds from MT Power Drum Kit 2, your SM Drums, The Metal Kick Drum and some Ableton's kits to make a mega drum kit (13,15,16,17" cymbals, 8,10,12" splash, China, ride, 3 toms, 2 floor toms, 2 kicks, hi-hat). I'm really hoping to re-create that in Reaper - I'd be happy to share if I pull it off.
Okay, it looks like you know what you are doing wolff, and I urge you to get Kontakt, becuase Kontakt makes it easy to do what you're trying to do.

In fact, the Kontakt version not only has the full kit instrument version, but I also included the separate kit pieces in separate instruments, just so folks could do exactly what you're talking about. That way they can build there drum kits with what ever pieces they want, from where ever get them.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #56
Rangler

So how do I automated save a project and collect all the relevant files without Reaper making a copy of SMDrum?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #57
Tod

Quote:
So how do I automated save a project and collect all the relevant files without Reaper making a copy of SMDrum?
If you're talking about RS5K, that is intended, but I personally call it a bug. Nobody wants their sample copied using "Save as".

There's already FRs about it, but I don't think the devs are too excited about fixing it.

You could always start another FR.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #58
hamish

Quote:
Yes, this is a major annoyance and turn off.

Discussion: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=151162

Last edited by hamish; 09-25-2017 at 03:05 PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #59
Tod

Sforzado has been added to SMDrums Post #1. For those wanting the full stereo kit that takes less RAM, Sforzado has DFD mode.

DFD (Direct From Disk) cuts down RAM use immensely, so that the full kit can be easily used in Reaper.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 AM   #60
D Rocks

Quote:
Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.
Thanks for doing this!! I can't wait to test it with great attention. Im always looking for good sounding virtual drums

Alex
Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #61
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
Thanks for doing this!! I can't wait to test it with great attention. Im always looking for good sounding virtual drums
Your welcome Alex, let me know if you have any problems or questions.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #62
Rangler

Anyone know which version of SMD has this file: 02_Snr_HyB3_V1_Atk_RR1.wav

I need to work on some old projects and I don't know what I did to the older version of SMD that may have had that file.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #63
Tod

Quote:
Anyone know which version of SMD has this file: 02_Snr_HyB3_V1_Atk_RR1.wav

I need to work on some old projects and I don't know what I did to the older version of SMD that may have had that file.
Hi Rangler, that's one of the 4 snares in SMDrums and it is in every version.

What is it exactly that you need, and which sampler did you use, ReaSamplOmatic5000, Kontakt, or one of the others?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #64
Rangler

Quote:
Hi Rangler, that's one of the 4 snares in SMDrums and it is in every version.

What is it exactly that you need, and which sampler did you use, ReaSamplOmatic5000, Kontakt, or one of the others?
I was opening an old project and it couldn't find that file. I think I need to re-download SMD and sort my folders. I have trouble knowing where everything is in my computer. Thank you.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #65
Rangler

Were file names ever changed in newer versions of SMD? Reaper can't find a bunch of them.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #66
Goldreap

Quote:
Were file names ever changed in newer versions of SMD? Reaper can't find a bunch of them.
I have SMDrums_Sforzando_1.2, SMDrums_Kontakt_1.1, various TX16Wx packages by Suleiman, and SM_LOBP_DrumKit_v01(REAPER)..a small version by Scott McLean himself I think for Reaper.
I can't find a file with 'Atk' in the name in any of those.
I never had the ReaSamplOmatic5000 version.
I think Kontakt 1.0 had the same samples as Kontakt 1.1.
So I'm guessing that file must have been in an older version of SM Sforzando or perhaps in the ReaSamplOmatic5000 version.
Which variant/version are you trying to load?

Last edited by Goldreap; 09-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #67
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
I have SMDrums_Sforzando_1.2, SMDrums_Kontakt_1.1, various TX16Wx packages by Suleiman, and SM_LOBP_DrumKit_v01(REAPER)..a small version by Scott McLean himself I think for Reaper.
So I'm guessing that file must have been in an older version of SM Sforzando or perhaps in the ReaSamplOmatic5000 version.
I thought I always used the Lite Reaper version, but I'm going to download all the versions just in case and see if I find the file(s). Thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #68
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Yeah, ReaSamplOmatic5000 (RS5K) is the only sampler that had the 02_Snr_HyB3 with "Atk" in the name.

Quote:
I can't recall changing any of the samples although I did add the Snr_HyB3 a little later on. Is it just the Snr_HyB3 with "Atk" that you're missing?

Quote:
Yes it should have the same samples, the only difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is that I added the ability to make your own key maps.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:10 PM   #69
Rangler

Quote:
Yeah, ReaSamplOmatic5000 (RS5K) is the only sampler that had the 02_Snr_HyB3 with "Atk" in the name.

I can't recall changing any of the samples although I did add the Snr_HyB3 a little later on. Is it just the Snr_HyB3 with "Atk" that you're missing?

Yes it should have the same samples, the only difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is that I added the ability to make your own key maps.
I'm downloading the Kontakt files now. I don't own Kontakt anymore and don't think I even used Kontakt, but maybe I used the wav files from it, since I was really new to SMD at the time. 600+ files that Reaper couldn't find. I bet it's the Kontakt version. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #70
Rangler

So I think I downloaded everything that I could again. Here are the folders. Reaper still can't find anything with "V1_Atk" in the wav file name. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm letting Reaper auto find every single file one by one. I put all of the SMD files on my desktop. This will take a while, but those files coming up missing. [EDIT] At the end it said 128 SMD files are still missing.

Sorry for being annoying.

[2ND EDIT] I opened another old file and the same files are missing. About 130 missing SMD files. There's got to be a stupid simple reason for what's going on. And it's probably my fault.

Last edited by Rangler; 09-21-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 PM   #71
Rangler

Can Reaper list all of the missing files so I can post all of them online to show you which ones are missing?

Is there a way that you can confirm that the files on the SM Drum website don't contain 32_Snr_HyB3_V1_Atk_RR2.wav for example? And if it does, can you add a link to it. I literally downloaded all the files today from SM Drums and can't find any of the 128 files that are missing.

As you can see all the missing files still: apparently anything with (v1-atk) are not found in any of the downloads

Last edited by Rangler; 09-21-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #72
Tod

Okay Rangler, I'm going to check this out today.

One important thing is, where did you download the files from? There are two places , the first post in this thread (which is the best place to download) and also this link.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #73
Rangler

Quote:
Okay Rangler, I'm going to check this out today.

One important thing is, where did you download the files from? There are two places , the first post in this thread (which is the best place to download) and also this link.

From the link. I'll download it from the top of the forum page right now and see if there's any difference. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #74
Tod

Quote:
From the link. I'll download it from the top of the forum page right now and see if there's any difference. Thanks.
Okay, I checked the HyB snare out and the files you're missing are not there. However, I uploaded all the HyB snare samples I have to this link, that should take care of it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ku9...ew?usp=sharing

Let me know if this works.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #75
Rangler

Quote:
Okay, I checked the HyB snare out and the files you're missing are not there. However, I uploaded all the HyB snare samples I have to this link, that should take care of it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ku9...ew?usp=sharing

Let me know if this works.
You saved my butt and made my day! Do you know what set they belong to so I can keep them in order?
Old 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #76
Tod

Quote:
You saved my butt and made my day! Do you know what set they belong to so I can keep them in order?
That's great Rangler. Regarding the "set", I assume you mean which version of RS5K I put them in, I'm sorry, I don't recall.

I actually didn't realize the files you listed were missing in my 1st post of this thread. I fixed that though and put the new link in the 1st post.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #77
Rangler

Quote:
That's great Rangler. Regarding the "set", I assume you mean which version of RS5K I put them in, I'm sorry, I don't recall.

I actually didn't realize the files you listed were missing in my 1st post of this thread. I fixed that though and put the new link in the 1st post.
They were missing from the wordpress website files, so you might want to update that.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #78
Rangler

Is there a way to collect a project without Reaper copying over every SMD file?

The last time I tried, Reaper took an hour to collect a project. I can only think of rendering/freezing the drum tracks and deleting all of the samples before collecting it to a new folder.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #79
Tod

Quote:
Is there a way to collect a project without Reaper copying over every SMD file?

The last time I tried, Reaper took an hour to collect a project. I can only think of rendering/freezing the drum tracks and deleting all of the samples before collecting it to a new folder.
Hi Rangler, I assume you're trying to do a "Save project as" with the "Copy all media into project directory" checked, and Reaper
saves the samples with it.

If so, there's no way to avoid that with RS5K, it's a real pita and there's been several posts about it along with FRs.

I think a way you can get around this is to copy/paste all the tracks associated with RS5K in the main file to another temporary
"Project Tab". Tracks such as Midi tracks going to RS5K, track(s) with RS5K on it, all RS5K audio tracks, and any other bus tracks
that might be associated with any of the RS5K tracks. Then delete them in the main file you want to save.

From there you can save the the main project file with the "Save project as", and once it's saved, copy/paste all the tracks in the
temporary "Project Tab" back to the new main track.

Actually the only track(s) you would need to copy/paste to the temporary "Project Tab" would be the RS5K track(s). However, you'll
have to set up the all the track sends going to the RS5K track(s) once they've been pasted back in the main project.

That way you don't have to delete the samples.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #80
Rangler

Quote:
Hi Rangler, I assume you're trying to do a "Save project as" with the "Copy all media into project directory" checked, and Reaper
saves the samples with it.

If so, there's no way to avoid that with RS5K, it's a real pita and there's been several posts about it along with FRs.

I think a way you can get around this is to copy/paste all the tracks associated with RS5K in the main file to another temporary
"Project Tab". Tracks such as Midi tracks going to RS5K, track(s) with RS5K on it, all RS5K audio tracks, and any other bus tracks
that might be associated with any of the RS5K tracks. Then delete them in the main file you want to save.

From there you can save the the main project file with the "Save project as", and once it's saved, copy/paste all the tracks in the
temporary "Project Tab" back to the new main track.

Actually the only track(s) you would need to copy/paste to the temporary "Project Tab" would be the RS5K track(s). However, you'll
have to set up the all the track sends going to the RS5K track(s) once they've been pasted back in the main project.

That way you don't have to delete the samples.
Thanks. We need to start a fund to get someone to write a VST/AU plugin for SMD! Or maybe I should try using the sforzando version. It's definitely worth the trouble.