Old 10-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #1
Jeffsounds
Human being with feelings

Default I Got A New Mouse!

Yeah, the old one was giving me fits so I bought a new wireless Logitech and so far I like it. But along with the usual Left and Right click, there are two buttons on the left side. I think these just page up and down, not really sure since I'm a bit hesitant to use them. But for use in Reaper, what cool things can I use them for?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
Lunar Ladder

I have the thumb button closer to me working as a show/hide mixer toggle, and the button near the tip of the thumb as show/hide fx browser toggle
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
G-Sun

I got a new mouse as well.
It's making noises in the attic..
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
Plazma

I use the two extra buttons on my mouse to
- expand/shrink the height of the currently selected track
- turn Snap to Grid on or off.

You can make those buttons do almost anything.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Luster

Since it's wireless I guess it's one of the better Logitech mouses. They have a management software which can switch the button mapping dependent on the current active application. Just as a tip. In Reaper I love these functions on mouse buttons:
  • Zoom out to full project
  • Zoom to loop / time selection
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
_parasite_

scroll verticaly left/right. perfect when editing
_parasite_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Yeah, the old one was giving me fits so I bought a new wireless Logitech and so far I like it. But along with the usual Left and Right click, there are two buttons on the left side. I think these just page up and down, not really sure since I'm a bit hesitant to use them. But for use in Reaper, what cool things can I use them for?
Did you get a revolution/performance aka MX series? I've been using those for probably a decade now, would never go back. If they are the buttons I think they are, they are general forward back buttons (like for a browser etc.), I use them for that anyway.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #8
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
I have the thumb button closer to me working as a show/hide mixer toggle, and the button near the tip of the thumb as show/hide fx browser toggle
Hey, I like that! That's good! I'm always switching back and forth between show/hide mixer so that fits perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _parasite_ View Post
scroll verticaly left/right. perfect when editing
That's good, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Did you get a revolution/performance aka MX series? I've been using those for probably a decade now, would never go back. If they are the buttons I think they are, they are general forward back buttons (like for a browser etc.), I use them for that anyway.
Yep. That's what they do. But I can assign them to do something else in Reaper and then go back to forward and back when not in Reaper, correct?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:

Yep. That's what they do. But I can assign them to do something else in Reaper and then go back to forward and back when not in Reaper, correct?
I have no idea actually. There is a control panel app from Logitech that you can use to assign certain things to certain apps but unclear as to how that will map to Reaper stuff that is specific to Reaper.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #10
solger

Quote:
Yeah, the Actions assigned to the Mouse Side Buttons via the Action List will only be executed inside Reaper.
Outside of Reaper or in other applications the default mapping of the side buttons (like backwards/forwards or to whatever you have set them) is executed ...

I currently have one of the side buttons assigned to a Cycle Action for switching between 'showing all note rows' and 'hiding unused and unnamed note rows' in the MIDI Editor. But the Mouse Side Button assignments are updated or changed regularly

Last edited by solger; 10-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
serr

I've had this Logitech wireless infrared mouse for years now. Funny... for everything else not having a trackpad = "computer broken" for me, but for DAW work I still like this thing. All the [modifier]click-drag stuff one does.

The infrared laser both works well on jeans (I like my arm comfortably relaxed on my leg as opposed to carpal tunnel inducing desktop positions) and isn't annoying if I accidentally blast the laser at my eyes.

I think it was a M305. Worn off so can't be certain.

I tried to order a new Logitech mouse. Thought I did due diligence with a google search for counterfeits and such to avoid. Well nope, ordered myself an obvious POS counterfeit! Returned and refunded - all good. This is why we all can't have nice things I guess...

Found the little broken tab and superglued it in mine. Back in action.

So I try looking this up. Prices range from $25 to $150. What the shit? Then the obvious counterfeits for $9.99 all over Ebay. Is it even possible to filter a search and avoid the bootlegs anymore? Maybe I just finally need to get my trackpad DAW workflow on?

Well the old one is working again. This is at least 10 years old. Couldn't have asked for a better product. Dropped/kicked/stepped on 1000 times or more. Submerged in coffee once (and rinsed out under the faucet). Finally wore out the plastic tab that clicks the left switch after 10 years. Kinda want to only replace it with an exact same model or nothing!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
Since it's wireless I guess it's one of the better Logitech mouses.
That used to be the case. A wireless mouse can be very basic now, with plenty of wired mice being more expensive.

Logitech M185 is a great little wireless budget mouse. I've got a couple of them. Cost about £8 each new (real not counterfeit, I say this noticing Serr's comment here; price seems to have gone up this year though). First one replaced my expensive and heavy MX1000 laser mouse.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #13
Toft

Razer Lachesis and Goliathus mouse pad FTW.

I work all day with a mouse, and I need one that does left hand just as well as right.

I know it's weird, but I get carpal pain if I do repetitive stuff with my right hand for too long. My left hand always seems OK, but is not so accurate.
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Reason

Wired G500 at home, and not-wireless-due-to-astoundingly-bad-battery-life G700s at work. Programmable macros are really useful at my job, as well as the scroll wheel that can spin freely at the click of a button. Oh, and the MX Master for the HTPC so it can work on the glass coffee table.

@OP, what'd you get, which one?
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yeah, the Actions assigned to the Mouse Side Buttons via the Action List will only be executed inside Reaper.
Outside of Reaper or in other applications the default mapping of the side buttons (like backwards/forwards or to whatever you have set them) is executed ...

I currently have one of the side buttons assigned to a Cycle Action for switching between 'showing all note rows' and 'hiding unused and unnamed note rows' in the MIDI Editor. But the Mouse Side Button assignments are updated or changed regularly
How do I assign the side buttons? I looked in Mouse Modifiers in Reaper Preferences but it wasn't exactly obvious how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Wired G500 at home, and not-wireless-due-to-astoundingly-bad-battery-life G700s at work. Programmable macros are really useful at my job, as well as the scroll wheel that can spin freely at the click of a button. Oh, and the MX Master for the HTPC so it can work on the glass coffee table.

@OP, what'd you get, which one?
Mine is the M510 and I'm loving it! It fits my hand fairly comfortably. I just need to remember to turn it off when not in use.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:08 AM   #16
Luster

While we are at Logitech mice:
They development so many high end super duper models but one thing has every one of them in common: The rattling mouse wheel. Yeah, I know some can free spin but those are even worse. They just sound like cheap loud plastic. Even the cheapest copy cat mouse has a smoother sound. I never understood why they don't fix that.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:10 AM   #17
Goldreap

Quote:
How do I assign the side buttons? I looked in Mouse Modifiers in Reaper Preferences but it wasn't exactly obvious how to do it.

Mine is the M510 and I'm loving it! It fits my hand fairly comfortably. I just need to remember to turn it off when not in use.
Assign the buttons in 'actions'. Find the action you want then hit 'add' (bottom left).
BTW, I found that for this sort of thing there was no need to use the application- specific settings in Logitech's software...Reaper just takes control when it's focused anyway.

My Logitech mouse (different model) turns itself off when computer shuts down... yours would do that I think?

Last edited by Goldreap; 10-31-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:53 AM   #18
FnA

Quote:

I have had 2 m510s. I really like them too. Well the first was better than the second. It wore out after a couple of years.

You would assign whatever it sends in the action list like a key stroke. Not in mouse modifiers. You may have to open the Set Point software for the mouse and set it to send something reaper can use.

Not only can you make use of the side buttons but also the tilt wheel.

I set sides to control and shift and tilt to alt and enter. Unfortunately Logitech changed the design with the second one so that the two sides would not work at the same time. For control +shift together. But a side plus tilt works. This setup at least with the first mouse allowed for all mouse wheel zoom to be done with no left hand. Also many clicks and drags and several actions with the tilt assigned to enter.

Maybe you can tell me if thy still have this limitation of only one side button at a time? It was over a year since I bought the second. Now I have a gaming mouse but liked the first m510 better.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
solger

Quote:
As Goldreap and FnA already mentioned: via the Action List.
Basically it's the same procedure as adding keyboard shortcuts to Actions (but in this case using one of the additional mouse buttons as input) ...

Last edited by solger; 10-31-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #20
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Assign the buttons in 'actions'. Find the action you want then hit 'add' (bottom left).
BTW, I found that for this sort of thing there was no need to use the application- specific settings in Logitech's software...Reaper just takes control when it's focused anyway.
I can't find an action to toggle show/hide for the mixer.

Quote:
My Logitech mouse (different model) turns itself off when computer shuts down... yours would do that I think?
Ya know, someone else mentioned that to me. Maybe I don't have to remember after all!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #21
solger

Quote:
I can't find an action to toggle show/hide for the mixer.
View: Toggle mixer visible in the [Main] Section.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #22
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
I have had 2 m510s. I really like them too. Well the first was better than the second. It wore out after a couple of years.
That's way better than the 3 or 4 months I was getting out of the mouse I was using!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Maybe you can tell me if thy still have this limitation of only one side button at a time? It was over a year since I bought the second. Now I have a gaming mouse but liked the first m510 better.
I'll let you know as soon as I get it figured out.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #23
karbomusic

Quote:
That's way better than the 3 or 4 months I was getting out of the mouse I was using!

I have a performance MX from ~2006 - still working.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #24
Jeffsounds

Quote:
View: Toggle mixer visible in the [Main] Section.
Ah, thank you! It doesn't toggle though. Will hide it if it's showing and show it if it's hiding but not both.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
solger

Quote:
Ah, thank you! It doesn't toggle though. Will hide it if it's showing and show it if it's hiding but not both.
Not sure exactly what you mean with 'but not both'.

This Actions does the same as checking/unchecking View > Mixer and toggles between showing/hiding the mixer.
Or are you looking for something else?
Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #26
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean with 'but not both'.

This Actions does the same as checking/unchecking View > Mixer and toggles between showing/hiding the mixer.
Or are you looking for something else?
Nope, that is exactly what I want to do. But if the mixer is showing, I can hit the button to hide it and it will hide it. But when I click the button to make it visible again, it doesn't do anything. So it does one or the other, but not both.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #27
solger

Quote:
Nope, that is exactly what I want to do. But if the mixer is showing, I can hit the button to hide it and it will hide it. But when I click the button to make it visible again, it doesn't do anything. So it does one or the other, but not both.
Ah, OK.

My first guess would be that this is probably a focus issue depending on where the mouse cursor is currently positioned.
Make sure that the mouse cursor is placed somewhere in the main window (and not, for instance inside a floating window of a MIDI Editor, plugin, etc.) before pressing the mouse button to make the mixer visible again ...

Last edited by solger; 10-31-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
Goldreap

jeffsounds, I might have mislead you previously. For this you might need to go into the setpoint advanced> application specific settings....configure your button to be a key stroke assignment..I just checked..it will toggle. (In 'select application' you browse to reaper.exe). Ctrl+M is already set up to toggle mixer in Reaper so just enter that in setpoint.

Last edited by Goldreap; 10-31-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:37 PM   #29
FnA

Quote:

I think it just became unpredictable in some regard to either the side buttons or tilt wheel. You might notice unpredictability when the batteries get low and I also found that I had to put the transmitter on top of the tower in line of sight of the mouse instead of on the back of tower. I still have both. Let me know if I can help with any specific matters. I am on Windows 7 x64.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #30
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Ah, OK.

My first guess would be that this is probably a focus issue depending on where the mouse cursor is currently positioned.
Make sure that the mouse cursor is placed somewhere in the main window (and not, for instance inside a floating window of a MIDI Editor, plugin, etc.) before pressing the mouse button to make the mixer visible again ...
So far, nothing I do is working. And something I noticed is that once I hide or show the mixer it stops responding to anything I do. CTRL-M is the only thing that makes it work again. Hmmmm...

Quote:
jeffsounds, I might have mislead you previously. For this you might need to go into the setpoint advanced> application specific settings....configure your button to be a key stroke assignment..I just checked..it will toggle. (In 'select application' you browse to reaper.exe). Ctrl+M is already set up to toggle mixer in Reaper so just enter that in setpoint.
OK, where exactly do I find this setpoint advanced? I'm assuming you are talking about some software that came with the mouse? If so, I don't remember any software at all. Just plug in and Windows did the rest.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #31
Goldreap

My mouse is a different model (the humble M325) but I'm assuming yours would use the same or similar software (Setpoint). Go to the Logitech website, I'm pretty sure you could download it. After installing you can open it like any program and it puts an icon in your task bar as well....it's very good, gives you extra stuff (including the application-specific thing).

Last edited by Goldreap; 10-31-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #32
Goldreap

....and once you get it up and running, think of it like this: First, in Reaper, create a keystroke assignment for an action you want , or if there is already one (like CTRL+M) all well and good. Now go to Setpoint and assign your button to that keystroke. Your button = keystroke = action.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #33
solger

Quote:
So far, nothing I do is working. And something I noticed is that once I hide or show the mixer it stops responding to anything I do. CTRL-M is the only thing that makes it work again. Hmmmm...
Very strange.

I guess using the Logitech Software to set up the mouse buttons is most likely the better option, then.
But maybe just in case: after you added the mouse side button as Shortcut, what name is displayed for it in the Shortcut column of the Action entry?

Quote:
OK, where exactly do I find this setpoint advanced? I'm assuming you are talking about some software that came with the mouse? If so, I don't remember any software at all. Just plug in and Windows did the rest.
The Logitech Setpoint Software gives you additional options for customizing buttons, etc. More info here: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/ar...00000069vEGAAY

Last edited by solger; 11-01-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #34
Lunar Ladder

If you don't actually need the Logitech software for anything else than making the thumb buttons throw a specific hotkey, etc, I suggest using Autohotkey ( https://www.autohotkey.com/ ) instead of installing the Logitech thingy. That is, if you prefer lean power user solutions for those additional "always on" programs on your computer
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #35
Eddy

I use two mice - one for each hand - because I have arthritis in my fingers and sharing the load is a good thing

I use X-mouse to tweak settings
https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/...toncontrol.htm
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:00 AM   #36
amagalma

Button closer to thumb: Radial menu
Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #37
Jimmy James

I use a Razor Death Adder. I use my 2 side buttons to toggle Mixer on and off (coolest thing ever!) and the other one is to Play and stop play.

The mixer on and off makes my life so much easier and FASTER! Way faster.

Stop Play and Play makes me faster as well.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #38
airon

I wanted to go wireless, but the mice I fancied were very expensive.

Instead I got the Razer Mamba Chrome Tournament on sale. Its excellent wireless version cost over €50 more though. F*** that!

Besides. I like my mice light and nimble. Have a metal mouse pad you can blow mice across of(5 year old Razer Xact iirc), including a wrist gel pad. Life saver.

For me it's all about hands-on comfort and speed. The mouse is like an instrument to me, so it has to fit.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #39
FnA

airon, I was just looking at that one. It is quite like the M510's layout. Do you know if the side buttons and tilt can be used simultaneously? I would assign modifiers (Control, Alt, etc) to them. The M510 can't send both side buttons simultaneously last I checked.

(Or any of you other Razer users have experience with that?)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #40
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I use a Razor Death Adder. I use my 2 side buttons to toggle Mixer on and off (coolest thing ever!) and the other one is to Play and stop play.

The mixer on and off makes my life so much easier and FASTER! Way faster.

Stop Play and Play makes me faster as well.
The mixer on and off is what I'm trying to accomplish but it's not working for me for whatever reason.

I was thinking maybe I could come up with a custom action or script that makes it visible and another that makes it invisible. Then I could assign one to each button. But I'm not versed enough in writing scripts.