Old 05-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
myfeltgood
Human being with feelings

Default Support plan?

I'm still in the evaluation stage of REAPER (29 days left actually) and with Pro Tools our recording studio (at least for now) has an Avid Advantage support plan so I wanted to if a $250 DAW like REAPER had something similar available even if it's through a 3rd party. Thanks.
myfeltgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
ivansc

(grin) Based on my experience of PT paid support, you will likely get quicker, better answers for free from on here! Also emails to Justin & Schwa are generally dealt with pretty quickly.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #3
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfeltgood View Post
I'm still in the evaluation stage of REAPER (29 days left actually) and with Pro Tools our recording studio (at least for now) has an Avid Advantage support plan so I wanted to if a $250 DAW like REAPER had something similar available even if it's through a 3rd party. Thanks.
If I were you I would use reaper for 6 months on trial mode or until you are comfortable with it and all devices you use are working 100%. The support is sort of maybe, maybe not.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #4
The Byre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
We are in a rudderless ship with a fool at the wheel who doesnt even realise it ain`t working any more!
Good old Ivan! Spot on as usual!
The Byre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #5
SoulOne82

Quote:
(grin) Based on my experience of PT paid support, you will likely get quicker, better answers for free from on here! Also emails to Justin & Schwa are generally dealt with pretty quickly.
#plusone
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
myfeltgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
If I were you I would use reaper for 6 months on trial mode or until you are comfortable with it and all devices you use are working 100%. The support is sort of maybe, maybe not.
So far it's all good with the hardware in one of the studios (the one that we'll be using REAPER in) but I thought the trial mode was for only 60 days.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
myfeltgood

Quote:
I have to agree with sickamorz...the support on the forums has been maybe (sometimes I get a quick response but I have some posts that have gone entirely unanswered).
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #8
zookthespook

Tech support is a myth IMO.
A problem can arise from many causes.
Cpu
Ram
Hd
Os
Asio
Vst
Sound cards
Just to start with .
Usually all these issues are bugs that can be resolved only by frequent fixes.
If you look at the pre release forum , you will realise that reaper is lighting fast in that department.
Protocols tech support can be sloppy at times too even after paying all that extra money
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #9
ivansc

Quote:
I have to agree with sickamorz...the support on the forums has been maybe (sometimes I get a quick response but I have some posts that have gone entirely unanswered).

You should ask Really Nicely (and maybe offer bribes like biscuits) - also sometimes if you ask something that is the umpteenth reiteration of that "problem" people are slow to respond.
Also remember some of us live several hours off your local time zone - 9 hours between me and the West Coast of the USA for instance.
May sound silly, but stating the basic issue clearly in the post header helps too.

Nosy bugger that I am, I am now off to check out your previous requests for help!

EDIT: every one got a response in hours - sometimes in minutes. My ISP takes longer than that!

Hope we do better for you in future.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Softsynth

Quote:
You'll be lucky to find tech support better than this forum.

Purchase a REAPER License
For most users $60 -even semi professionals:

A new license includes free upgrades through REAPER version 6.99. There is only one version of REAPER. The license price depends on how you use it. $60 : discounted license.
$225 : commercial license.

You may use the discounted license if:
  • You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or
  • You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or
  • You are an educational or non-profit organization.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #11
Philbo King

The rate of response is related directly to how intelligibly the question is worded. For example, I wouldn't respond to a post that says something like 'it doesn't do what I want when I left-click!'

If the poster can't make clear what the problem is, and can't provide related background info (like OS type, Reaper version, RAM size, audio interface used, EVERYTHING that might relate to the problem) how could I possibly make him understand the solution? I see an awful lot of that in the forums; some of them anyway...
Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
Lokasenna

The Reaper Facebook group is usually pretty quick for responses too. As mentioned above, do your best to explain the problem thoroughly. People get cranky when they think someone is being lazy.

There are also a few people who will do paid Skype calls, screen sharing I think, etc if you need more direct help with something. The Reaper Blog, for one.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
myfeltgood

Quote:
You should ask Really Nicely (and maybe offer bribes like biscuits) - also sometimes if you ask something that is the umpteenth reiteration of that "problem" people are slow to respond.
Also remember some of us live several hours off your local time zone - 9 hours between me and the West Coast of the USA for instance.
May sound silly, but stating the basic issue clearly in the post header helps too.

Nosy bugger that I am, I am now off to check out your previous requests for help!

EDIT: every one got a response in hours - sometimes in minutes. My ISP takes longer than that!

Hope we do better for you in future.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to rant about people's response time or anything...I realize people have more pressing things to do than sit at their computer waiting to answer tech questions lol. The responses I have gotten were very very helpful though. I really was trying to see if something existed like what other companies have (even though I can speak from experience that Avid's support can be shoddy...and pricey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
You'll be lucky to find tech support better than this forum.

Purchase a REAPER License
For most users $60 -even semi professionals:

A new license includes free upgrades through REAPER version 6.99. There is only one version of REAPER. The license price depends on how you use it. $60 : discounted license.
$225 : commercial license.

You may use the discounted license if:
  • You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or
  • You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or
  • You are an educational or non-profit organization.
Sadly, it looks like none of the criteria for the discounted license applies to my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The Reaper Facebook group is usually pretty quick for responses too. As mentioned above, do your best to explain the problem thoroughly. People get cranky when they think someone is being lazy.

There are also a few people who will do paid Skype calls, screen sharing I think, etc if you need more direct help with something. The Reaper Blog, for one.
I checked out the blog. And that sounds like a great option (the paid Skype calls/screen sharing). I see that they offer that. Do you know of any more individuals that offer such?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:47 AM   #14
DarkStar

Quote:
You should ask Really Nicely.
I've not see him/her post here
Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 AM   #15
andyp24

Quote:
Sadly, it looks like none of the criteria for the discounted license applies to my situation.
Sadly? If your business earns > $20,000 pa from work involving Reaper, $225 is a steal for a licence which could well last 5 years....
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #16
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Boom Boom, Mister Derek!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 PM   #17
myfeltgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You haven't seen me post here?!?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
EpicSounds

Quote:
You haven't seen me post here?!?
your name isn't "Really Nicely"
Old 05-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #19
ivansc

Maybe the "myfeltgood" persona is in fact a sock puppet for his REAL identity....

Hmmmm.... Have to keep an eye on this one....
Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 AM   #20
Valle

Being a multi DAW user since the mid 90s (and before that “sequencer” user since the early Amiga days) and REAPER user since 2009, I’m pretty confident in saying that REAPER’s developers/hard core REAPER users on this forum are by far the best in the whole DAW business in terms of qualitative developing and support. Very talented, service minded, humorous and perhaps best of all: FAST.

Describe your issue in detail with some examples – and chances are close to 100% the REAPER developers or community will give you a relevant answer/response right away. You may not always like the answer. Not because the answer would be too vague in the specific case, rather because your issue is concerning something that’s impossible to achieve or yet to be developed. Either way, the answers are always relevant and that’s what counts.

One other cool thing about this forum is that it has helped me solve third party issues better than the third party’s support itself. That’s really impressive.

The only thing to be careful about and is important to distinguish on a very early stage, is the unfortunate presence of REAPER “fanboys” who rather than being of any assistance (despite detailed question and examples) will put all their effort in questioning your intentions and sometimes ridiculing you and your question. Just try to ignore those and your questions will be answered soon enough by the real pro’s
Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
philper

A small suggestion to the OP: keep using the eval license of Reaper while you do every sort of test project you can think of. Do buy AATranslator right away so you can move .ptx projects to Reaper and back, so you can see how some of your earlier work done on PT might go on Reaper. See how it goes, see if it suits you, try to break it every way you can think of, and come up with some workflows: both PT and Reaper are DAWs but there are some big diffs between them. If you are good to go after that and you are using Reaper in a sound business making money, then yeah, you should pony up the full price. The $60 level is for artists, musicians etc for whom sound editorial and mixing work isn't their main livelihood.
philper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
myfeltgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
The only thing to be careful about and is important to distinguish on a very early stage, is the unfortunate presence of REAPER “fanboys” who rather than being of any assistance (despite detailed question and examples) will put all their effort in questioning your intentions and sometimes ridiculing you and your question. Just try to ignore those and your questions will be answered soon enough by the real pro’s
Yeah I'm starting to see that (especially evidenced by done of the posts on this thread &#128580. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
A small suggestion to the OP: keep using the eval license of Reaper while you do every sort of test project you can think of. Do buy AATranslator right away so you can move .ptx projects to Reaper and back, so you can see how some of your earlier work done on PT might go on Reaper. See how it goes, see if it suits you, try to break it every way you can think of, and come up with some workflows: both PT and Reaper are DAWs but there are some big diffs between them. If you are good to go after that and you are using Reaper in a sound business making money, then yeah, you should pony up the full price. The $60 level is for artists, musicians etc for whom sound editorial and mixing work isn't their main livelihood.
Thanks for the advice. So far I like that REAPER has allowed me to carry over much of my PT workflow...and yes AATranslator is a godsend!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #23
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Although clowning on Tidey's hipster affectations is part of my daily routine, you couldn't ask for better support than the reaper blog
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote