Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #721
MCCY
Human being with feelings

Hey, after again a long time I started a fresh naive try with playtime because I finished a 25 Button MIDI Footswitch DIY project with the help of bomes miditranslator pro, which could kill my doubletriggers which stole the show and I had no idea how to solve it... so now it is working....

And I have to say, this looks really really promising now. I could not find a showstopper, just one tiny thing.... PLEEAAASE add the possibility to go through the Matrix with MIDI OR arrow-KEYs (doesn't matter as I use miditranslator anyway) and PLEAAAASE record/trigger possibility for the ACTIVE field...

You could then remote control the recording with just 3 or so buttons via foot!

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME AND I WOULD REGRET HAVING BOUGHT ABLETON LAST YEAR FOR JUST THE LIFELOOPING PURPOSE :-) !!!

Last edited by MCCY; 01-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #722
MCCY

Ok. In docked mode I can use the arrow keys. Delete works for deleting... Just need a Key for triggering, that's all (and it would be lovely of course to be able to set a Midi note to these keys, just for the ease of momentary use)!!
Yes, and of course Midi commands should then work even if Playtime is not docked :-). I use a small screen Live, so most of the time Playtime would be hidden.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #723
MCCY

:-) Sorry, further investigations:

I found "trigger selected cell" (and finally checked that I have to deactivate the recording for it in the arrangement): sounds great, but makes reaper crash immediately when using it for first recording with the magic wand...

Then there seems to be no "go right" "go down" "go up" "go left" in the Trackautomation... why???
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #724
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
Ok. In docked mode I can use the arrow keys. Delete works for deleting... Just need a Key for triggering, that's all (and it would be lovely of course to be able to set a Midi note to these keys, just for the ease of momentary use)!!
Yes, and of course Midi commands should then work even if Playtime is not docked :-). I use a small screen Live, so most of the time Playtime would be hidden.
This also works in non-docked mode when you enable "Send all keyboard input to plug-in" on the Playtime FX. But this shouldn't be necessary if you use the Track Template "Playtime" to load Playtime. That's the preferred and easy way to load it.

See also http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/user-guide section 2 "Basics".
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #725
helgoboss

Quote:
:-) Sorry, further investigations:

I found "trigger selected cell" (and finally checked that I have to deactivate the recording for it in the arrangement): sounds great, but makes reaper crash immediately when using it for first recording with the magic wand...

Then there seems to be no "go right" "go down" "go up" "go left" in the Trackautomation... why???
I created a new issue for the crash, will look into it: https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...magic-wand-and

For your second question, have a look here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=590. You can have what you want in combination with ReaLearn.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #726
MCCY

"Another slot is currently recording on this track"

This seems to be the problem, but I'm just using the trigger via midi realearn :-( Just triggering the cell for record and then hit again for play...

-----------------------------
EDIT: Puh, maybe it was because I used toggling because of the above problems ... seems stable for 2 minutes now with 'absolute' :-)

-----------------------------
EDIT 2: Still crashing all the time.

I just connected a Pad to Trigger selected cell. All the options for Trigger in Playtime produce strange behaviour incl. crashing. I'm just expecting to record a empty cell when hitting that Midi trigger, then playing it back when hitting it again. When hitting third/fourth time (while playing) I'd like to have stop/start. After deleting a cell the trigger procedure would start again with record...
but all this seems completely messed up. I have crashing reaper regularly... :-(

------------------------------

EDIT 3: tried with a reaper portable install (so no options changed). no success. "Another slot is currently recording on this track" and crashes

EDIT 4: Oh, there were some more "playtime workers" in places where they should not be :-) Maybe it's working now ???????
EDIT 5:
3 minutes fun... then "Another slot is currently recording on this track" ... crashes reaper...

EDIT 6: I give it up again :-(.

EDIT 7:
Tested with mouse. Everything works fine.

Tested with prg chg msg MIDI via REALEARN :-( "Another slot is currently recording on this track" crash after 3 lucky hits.

-------------------------------
EDIT 8:
Araarrararrg! Another bug: Realearn doesn't save toggle mode when using prg chng msg ...

EDIT 9:
With your REAPER program file I played now for 5min without crash, but still "Another slot is currently recording on this track" message so that I have to doubleclick to end recording.

EDIT 10:
Working without crash since 30min. The magic wand bug didn't appear again. WORKING LIVE LOOPER ... ok, still with clicks when automatic start after recording & doubleclicking because of "Another slot is currently recording on this track" but IT WORKS!!!!

EDIT 11:
Again crashes, after adjustig (that's what I changed before, I forgot)the latency of my Babyface Pro. Down to 64 or 48 samples reaper crashes with playtime when ending recordings, but I like to play live with low latencies :-(

EDIT 12:
So strange, after trying a completely new setup Laptop with Win 10 (my music laptop is Win7) & and having again lots of crashes I went back to the Win7 machine, turned off fades and had no crash again for about half an hour (but still the message about "Another slot is currently recording on this track"...

Last edited by MCCY; 01-19-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:33 AM   #727
MCCY

Omg, installed Lemur in Android Handy... I want to control Playtime with Lemur, yeah, yeah, yeah, that should be easy!!!
Hope wie can figuren out the last problems ...
Old 01-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #728
hwhalen

Hello helgoboss

Using the Record selected slot, go down
or the Record selected slot, go right

I press the foot pedal and it triggers the recording the first time
I press the pedal again it stops recording and moves to the next slot
I press the pedal again and nothing happens, but I hear a glitch as if the midi information was in error.
This glitch only occurs on the second attempt, it does not reoccur.

After that I have to press the pedal twice every time before the previous slot stops playing and it moves to the next slot.

I then have to press twice again to start recording again.

I've tried this with an FCB1010 and a Roland A300 KB with the same results.

Something I'm doing wrong?

I've included my project file and the Realearn .fxp in the zip file.

https://stash.reaper.fm/32809/Live%20Jam.zip

hwhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #729
MCCY

Yeah, I've got the feeling finally we're getting somewhere with livelooping. I'm experiencing such weird behavior too and Benjamin is in contact with me about that. This would be sooooo beautiful if we can figure these problems out... Do you also get that message: "another slot is currently recording on this track ..."?

Today I built a APC Key 25 controller script. Just if anybody needs thatone :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Hello helgoboss

I press the pedal again and nothing happens, but I hear a glitch as if the midi information was in error.

After that I have to press the pedal twice every time before the previous slot stops playing and it moves to the next slot.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #730
Usta

I love staying up to date with playtimes progress.
Usta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 AM   #731
MCCY

I've done

- APC KEY 25
- iCon iStage
- Push II (in User-Mode)

scripts for these controllers to controll Playtime... Just in case anybody is interested.

Maybe someone has a hint how to turn on the klick-buttons backlights in Push II User Mode. The Pads have nice bright colours allready, but the other stay dark (althgough they work well for controlling Playtime functions).

Martin
Old 01-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #732
hwhalen

Quote:
Omg, installed Lemur in Android Handy... I want to control Playtime with Lemur, yeah, yeah, yeah, that should be easy!!!
Hope wie can figuren out the last problems ...
Hi MCCY... or Martin if you'd prefer

Have you started developing a Lemur map for use with Playtime?
I have OSC-Commander and was wondering if you've had any success sending midi notes via
VKB_MIDI_NOTE i/vkb_midi/@/note/@ f/vkb_midi/@/note/@ i/vkb_midi/note/@ f/vkb_midi/note/@
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 AM   #733
MCCY

Quote:
Hi MCCY... or Martin if you'd prefer

Have you started developing a Lemur map for use with Playtime?
I have OSC-Commander and was wondering if you've had any success sending midi notes via
VKB_MIDI_NOTE i/vkb_midi/@/note/@ f/vkb_midi/@/note/@ i/vkb_midi/note/@ f/vkb_midi/note/@
I just tested triggering the clips with pads. That was easy, but so far I have no idea for the visual feed back :-(. Faders respond visually when using realearn, but pads of course don't change colour via velocity... Can't be too difficult...
Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #734
hwhalen

Quote:
I just tested triggering the clips with pads. That was easy, but so far I have no idea for the visual feed back :-(. Faders respond visually when using realearn, but pads of course don't change colour via velocity... Can't be too difficult...
I'm also at this point.
Please let me know if you discover anything of interest.
I have an Orbit which I've been using as well as an FCB1010 and a Roland A300.
Each has its strengths and limitations.
Hopefully the OSC thing does it all...except play the KB ;-)

Cheers
Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #735
MCCY

Lemur is working in both directions, but strangely when I enable value feedback on Track, I got messed up controls :-(. When I record without feedback all is Ok and when I playback a recorded session it works too...

Lemur seems to mess up send values when getting feedback :-(

EDIT: I now even opened 2 PADs one only for showing on Lemur MIDI 1, the other only playing on MIDI 0... that works. ...so there is a feedback problem in Lemur when not specifically adressing this issue inside Lemur. Time to find out how to stop Midi feedback influencing Midi output...

EDIT2: LEMUR is working beautifully with playtime now. I just copied my pads, made copy invisible (bring to back), made them receive on lemur-MIDI1 and created an y variable for lights which is fed by the x value of receiving pads. Maybe there is a simpler solution, but this way it works fine!!!!

Last edited by MCCY; 02-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #736
hwhalen

Quote:
Hello helgoboss

Any thoughts. I am trying to make this better.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #737
machinesworking

Quote:
I've done

- APC KEY 25
- iCon iStage
- Push II (in User-Mode)

scripts for these controllers to controll Playtime... Just in case anybody is interested.

Maybe someone has a hint how to turn on the klick-buttons backlights in Push II User Mode. The Pads have nice bright colours allready, but the other stay dark (althgough they work well for controlling Playtime functions).

Martin
Very interested in the Push II User Mode script! Have you tried it in conjunction with the Push 2 for Reaper application Jürgen Moßgraber did? It uses the Live Mode so they 'should' be compatible?
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #738
ThrashJazzAssassin

Feature request:

When moving a Playtime clip to another column, could the attached REAPER item also move to the relevant track? Thanks
Old 02-15-2018, 04:04 AM   #739
MCCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
Very interested in the Push II User Mode script! Have you tried it in conjunction with the Push 2 for Reaper application Jürgen Moßgraber did? It uses the Live Mode so they 'should' be compatible?
That's a nice idea. Infact I tried the Moßgraber-Solution and was excited to see it working. What a brilliant work... So far I just tested user-mode for Playtime, don't know, if the keys are the same for the Pads. I will try that!
Old 02-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #740
machinesworking

Quote:
That's a nice idea. Infact I tried the Moßgraber-Solution and was excited to see it working. What a brilliant work... So far I just tested user-mode for Playtime, don't know, if the keys are the same for the Pads. I will try that!
It would be beyond cool to be able to use Push almost exactly like it works in Ableton for sure! the Session View thing with Playtime and some way to get the pads to take the colors of the tracks in Reaper or just even show basic stuff from Playtime would be awesome! User Mode would not I believe conflict with Jürgen's Push java work, since it uses the Live mode.

You were saying you got a script working for Playtime?

All of this would make Live pretty much obsolete for me. Pretty crazy how advanced Reaper and the community has become since last time I looked at Reaper 7 years or so ago!
Old 02-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #741
MCCY

These are the scripts for playtime with pushII, APCkey25 and ISTAGE.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PushII_APCkey25_ISTAGE.zip (2.9 KB, 162 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #742
kid bliss

hi there
i just found out about playtime.
it's great to see this is going strong 19 pages deep and growing, so i'm not sure if this is been asked before.

does playtime work well with an APC40 mkII?
im on a pc

thanks a buncho
kid bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #743
MCCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid bliss View Post
does playtime work well with an APC40 mkII?
im on a pc

thanks a buncho
If not, it should be very easy to implement, but I guess yes anyway :-)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:00 AM   #744
MCCY

I got a response from Bejamin... he's working on the last found problems! So I'm eagerly awaiting the next version :-)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #745
helgoboss

I have a prerelease for you. The most prominent new feature is probably the fullscreen mode but there are also quite some other things worth a note. Feel free to give it a go!

Playtime 1.14.0-pre3 for Windows

Playtime 1.14.0-pre3 for OS X

Changes:
#132 Added fullscreen mode (also useful for touchscreens, cell size can be adjusted arbitrarily!)
#282 Added possibility to record audio output of VST instruments (recording track audio output was possible before but it was not practical because recording while the first clip was still playing would result in the first clip being recorded again)
#119 Added very basic but effective possibility to fill multiple selected items into slots (column-wise)
#278 Added basic support for Launchpad Pro
#283 Added support for Launchkey Mini
#280 Added basic support for APC Key 25
#281 Improved default settings by making 'Auto-play recorded clips' and 'Play clips with arrangement' the default (makes more sense especially since auto-play has good timing now)
#302 Improved visibility of currently selected cell by making it stand out more
#295 Fixed bug that caused recorded audio clips to have wrong length and let them drift off / go out of sync over time (should only have happened when using non-ideal combinations of tempo and sample rate, now sections are created if necessary to remedy this)
#287 Fixed bug that often caused audible clicking whenever an undo point was created
#288 Fixed bug when stopping recording via MIDI controller that caused the group to be stopped as well
#291 Fixed occasional crash after recording clip when fades are enabled (reproduced only when recording via automation parameter 'Record selected slot', but possibly also in other situations)
#293 Fixed misbehavior of automation parameter 'Record selected slot' (it needed more taps than necessary)
#296 Fixed misbehavior of automation parameters 'Trigger selected cell' and 'Record selected slot' (many things, see ticket for details)
#299 Fixed misbehavior of automation parameter 'Tempo detection mode' (it sometimes needed more taps than necessary)
#297 Fixed possible crash when deleting a slot item while it's being recorded (this is now prevented)
#252 Fixed crash when track removed while recording a clip on that track
#298 Fixed missing peaks after recording audio clips
Old 03-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #746
mrdan

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks
mrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #747
hwhalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdan View Post
thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks
Agreed!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:18 AM   #748
MCCY

Yes, NOW it's rollin'...!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #749
machinesworking

Quote:
- Push II (in User-Mode) ...
Martin
So I've been able to get the script to do the basics but the pads don't light up, any hints about that?

So far I have no idea as to how to get Push II to switch between User and Live mode outside of starting Live and doing it in Live then quitting Live etc. So because of that I can only get your script to work with Playtime if I don't use the Transformator java application that uses the Push II Live Port.

I wish I knew code, being able to use both Playtime and Tansformator with Push II would be amazing.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:13 AM   #750
MCCY

I think usermode is activ when starting. I die not find any other Informationstechnik about that...
It's important, that you set up a midi send from the Playtime to Push II Hardware!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:34 AM   #751
machinesworking

Quote:
I think usermode is activ when starting. I die not find any other Informationstechnik about that...
It's important, that you set up a midi send from the Playtime to Push II Hardware!
Someone mentioned that Push uses SysEx messages to go from User to Live ports, I'm going to use a SysEx application here to test switching and see how Reaper behaves.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #752
MCCY

Did you get the LEDs working? For me it works very well. The most annoying thing in the standalone modus is, that the faders send a midi note also, which at least in my case makes the use of the pots difficult.

Next thing I coldn't get is, how to light up the Buttons (Pads work very well).
Old 03-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #753
machinesworking

Quote:
Did you get the LEDs working? For me it works very well. The most annoying thing in the standalone modus is, that the faders send a midi note also, which at least in my case makes the use of the pots difficult.

Next thing I coldn't get is, how to light up the Buttons (Pads work very well).
The LEDs light up, all the same color, don't know if that's how it's supposed to be but it works. There's a problem I'm running into of Push II not changing between Live Port and User Port when not controlling Live. Just right now starting up Reaper and opening Playtime with everything set for your Push II controller script Push II is still in Live Port mode.. I'm not a coder but I think I can figure out a way to get Reaper to fire off the SysEx command that changes Push between the two modes.... I don't know how well it will work but definitely worth a try.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #754
MCCY

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinesworking View Post
The LEDs light up, all the same color, don't know if that's how it's supposed to be but it works. There's a problem I'm running into of Push II not changing between Live Port and User Port when not controlling Live. Just right now starting up Reaper and opening Playtime with everything set for your Push II controller script Push II is still in Live Port mode.. I'm not a coder but I think I can figure out a way to get Reaper to fire off the SysEx command that changes Push between the two modes.... I don't know how well it will work but definitely worth a try.
Ah,OK. Sounds interesting, so you are directly switching between live & Reaper?

The LEDs Start dark and change color to red when recording, green when playing, white when filled. Stopping and startng has different colours too.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #755
d.vyd

Default Configuring Playtime

I have playtime working in Reaper but am having trouble with configuration. I'm fairly new to reaper but understand how to route MIDI and audio and how to assign MIDI controllers.

1) I'd like MIDI clips in Playtime column 1 to send to MIDI channel 1, column 2 to send to MIDI channel 2, etc. Is this possible?

2) Is it possible to change the loop section start and end points for MIDI on a per column basis? So if there is one loop playing in each column (1 through 8), can I assign the start and end points separately for each column and assign those to hardware knobs?

Thank you,
-d. vyd
d.vyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #756
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.vyd View Post
1) I'd like MIDI clips in Playtime column 1 to send to MIDI channel 1, column 2 to send to MIDI channel 2, etc. Is this possible?

2) Is it possible to change the loop section start and end points for MIDI on a per column basis? So if there is one loop playing in each column (1 through 8), can I assign the start and end points separately for each column and assign those to hardware knobs?
1) This needs to be done completely in REAPER, Playtime doesn't mess with the MIDI channel routing of its clips. Do you send the MIDI to external hardware or to built-in instruments?

2) Are you referring to "sections" as described in "3.2 Cropping clips" in the Playtime User Guide?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #757
MCCY

Just a stupid question... Do automation items work in playtime?
Would be crazy to load a filter curve into a slot and activate Filter-Automation via Clipstart :-)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #758
akademie

Hello helgoboss,
will you make a portable version of Playtime, please?

akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #759
helgoboss

Quote:
Just a stupid question... Do automation items work in playtime?
Would be crazy to load a filter curve into a slot and activate Filter-Automation via Clipstart :-)
No. I'd like to do that as well but right now it looks like there are some REAPER SDK functions missing to accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hello helgoboss,
will you make a portable version of Playtime, please?

akademie
The upcoming version 1.14.0 will look for the Playtime data directory (preferences, registration, controllers) in the directory of the REAPER executable and use it if it exists. But the installer doesn't offer any option yet to install controllers, templates and the plugin itself into a specific portable REAPER directory. I'm planning to add that option.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #760
hwhalen

Hi helgoboss

I was wondering if you are considering providing a mappable parameter for the full screen capability.