Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-09-2024, 08:57 AM   #41
em0
Human being with feelings

Well, that's it. They work flawlessly, all as intended. I'll have to work with them a bit longer to give you more suggestion. Let me just give you some things I noticed, none of which need fixing.

- the default project settings have the checkmark on sample rate 44khz, but I guess it might be better to uncheck and let it default to the user's global/hardware settings

- as for project notes, you might explain what the VCA track in the master template is -- I actually don't even know what VCA stands for, let alone what this track is useful for...

- from my newbie experience the things that are a bit counterintuitive at first use are (i) that you have let reaper play indefinitely in the background before you can record and make stuff in maschine (and that the play button in maschine gets deactivated, and similarly for project tempo, for instance, which also is set in reaper not maschine, and then metronome is also a bit confusing) and (ii) that after you have recorded your track to reaper and want to continue your editing in reaper you must make sure to put maschine on an empty scene. Both of these peculiarities are mentioned in the notes, though perhaps the first could be expanded a little?

- for the templates with audio tracks it might be useful to explain what that would be useful for. I can see sidechaining with kick and snare audio tracks, but any other advantages? I don't know anything, really, but do people generally record their (drum) midi into audio stems at some point in their mixing?

- I'm still a bit confused about getting Abbey Road (or other kontakt drums) loaded properly. I mean, I can now load them in the instrument group and play them in keyboard mode, and that works great. If you open the plugin you can go to options (bottom of plugin window below the drum pic) and set up a nice custom midi mapping to get your perfect layout. I'm totally happy with doing it this way and using the just-on-track-template. The only thing missing then is if you also want to route kick and snare to separate tracks (for sidechaining etc) as per the kick/snare template and master controller template. For that you'd need your drum kit loaded as a group. You say you somehow got AR as maschine groups, but I don't have those -- (I only have maschine factory selection, not the full library, and then I got AR through komplete 14 standard). The two tricks that you find on forums for playing your AR as a group in maschine don't work in the current template, because they involve setting the output>sound>midi of pads 2-16 not to host but to S1 (pad 1), and then transposing, or changing the midi note, which sounds and records fine in maschine but when recording in reaper just gives you the one note (C3) that's sent from pad 1. So I guess the question is, where and how did you get abbey road drumkits in the form of maschine groups?

- just for completeness: the first time I loaded one of the templates I got a weird tiny floating window and then an error that some sample couldn't be found (pointing to a windows path C:\... for some .wav from the alkaloid kit). When I closed reaper and reopened the template everything worked, and the other templates too. Can't reproduce the error so it was probably something on my end or something about mac os.

Thanks again!!
em0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:13 AM   #42
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by em0 View Post
- the default project settings have the checkmark on sample rate 44khz, but I guess it might be better to uncheck and let it default to the user's global/hardware settings
Good catch! Will fix that.

Quote:
- as for project notes, you might explain what the VCA track in the master template is -- I actually don't even know what VCA stands for, let alone what this track is useful for...
OK will do. VCA stands for voltage controlled amplifier. It's a way of adjusting a number of tracks at once while keeping the relationships intact. Say you had 20 vocal tracks and wanted to bump them all up 3dB...single VCA fader can do that. I use one for each instrument type.

Quote:
- just for completeness: the first time I loaded one of the templates I got a weird tiny floating window and then an error that some sample couldn't be found
Happen to remember which? I thought I got rid of those...

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I've had Abbey Road since Maschine 1, so not sure about that but I'll look into ways of sidechaining when loaded as an instrument. I guess when you look in the kit browser you don't have any AR kits? For me, most are listed under Maschine 1.8 library and a couple under 2.0 and none under 2.5.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 01-09-2024 at 09:44 AM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:02 AM   #43
em0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Happen to remember which? I thought I got rid of those...
I just had it again just now, on the kick/snare template. I open reaper (didn't properly shut it down yesterday I think, so it's probably because of that) and it gets stuck loading t2, overlaying this little white square, see screenshot. Since that same project loaded fine earlier, I guess it's just something with maschine getting confused when recovering from improper app kill, so don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
EDIT: I've had Abbey Road since Maschine 1, so not sure about that but I'll look into ways of sidechaining when loaded as an instrument. I guess when you look in the kit browser you don't have any AR kits? For me, most are listed under Maschine 1.8 library and a couple under 2.0 and none under 2.5.
ah okay, that's interesting, but I'm totally happy for now, and can also work around and fix something manually if I do need sidechain on AR, not sure that I'm going to bother with that soon, first make some actual music in maschine+reaper.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 10.44.05.png (20.7 KB, 14 views)
em0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:37 AM   #44
foxAsteria

I've updated to v4.2, which fixes VCA (it was turned off) in Master Controller and unchecks the samplerate selection in Project Settings for the others. Also re-referenced the groups on the K&S template, so hopefully it stops complaining... Thanks for testing em0!