Old 02-02-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default SWS Live Configs?

Anyone know of an updated, step by step guide for SWS Live Configs?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Anyone know of an updated, step by step guide for SWS Live Configs?
I wrote one -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

You also might want to search the Forum for "LiveConfigs" to get a lot more information on that issue.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Thank you so much! Do I have this right that you switch tracks on live configs by sending different values of the same cc ? That seems insane! Can that be changed to different ccs instead?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Thank you so much! Do I have this right that you switch tracks on live configs by sending different values of the same cc ? That seems insane! Can that be changed to different ccs instead?
LiveConfifs uses one CC per "Config" (a page of 8 working in parallel, if configured).

On receive of a CC value it will select one (of 128 ) lines on that page.

Same can be configured to unmute one track (and mute all others that are mentioned on that page) and optionally for more stuff (call a Reaper Action, push presets to plugins, ...)

I use LiveConfigs as a base of a rather complex setup of JSFXes. This receive midi messages and send out CCs to LiveConfigs when appropriate, Of course you easily can do a JSFX that translates CC numbers to values of a single CC.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-03-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I like SWS snapshots for this, as it will reset the fx chain if you say turned on the wah, but I find it is impossible to update your track settings because you would need to recall and resave every single snapshot with the new settings any time you change anything. I haven't found a way around that

I am now trying with SWS mute slots instead, and it seems to be working extremely well and the switching is instant. I'm having a little trouble getting it so that I can have reatune on and in an open window, which was an easy thign to do with SWS snapshots. The other trouble I'm having is having the say, wah turned off when I reload the channel. SWS Snapshots does this perfectly, but I cant figure out a way to say "send CC#10 value 0 on load"

I'll try SWS Live configs again

So should I be doing each sound on a different config? I really am sketched about the idea of using CC values of the same controller for switching, I'm not sure of the utility of that

I'm still very confused even with that guide
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Is there a sample RPP of this anywhere?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
So should I be doing each sound on a different config?
For clearness I avoid the term "Configs", as LiveConfigs provides eight "pages" with 128 "lines" each.

LiveConfigs does not force a dedicated way to use these, but is very flexible.

In my Live playing setup, I use a page for each of my two keyboards and a line for each of the patches (sounds) that I defined for that keyboard.

This means that I can select the patch to be played completely indecently for the keyboards. This might or might not be appropriate regarding the performance style intended.

Quote:
I really am sketched about the idea of using CC values of the same controller for switching, I'm not sure of the utility of that
The original author is a guitarist and he had a pedal board that sent different values for the same CC when pressing a button. So that messages could be fed directly into the "Reaper Control Path" by checking the "control" box in the midi device setting. (As the Midi standard suggests) Keyboards use Program Change events for such purpose, so you need a JSFX and the "MidiToReaControlPath" VST to create the correct CCs for LiveConfigs (See guide).

Recently I got an XTouch Compact controller board to sit beside the smaller one of the keyboards (I did poste a picture in the forum some time ago). Now the input to the JSFX system, is no longer Program change (from the keyboards) but CCs from the XTouch (I could configure the XTouch to send anything I like, bit I did stay with the default here).

Quote:
I'm still very confused even with that guide
This is still a work in progress. Please come back with dedicated questions, if possible. I'll try to improve the text.

BTW.: As you are a very honorable forum user (nearly 12,000 posts), is there a way you can support my long standing request to install a dedicated subforum for "Reaper Live Usage". IMHO this would be very appropriate.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 02-03-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

You also might want to search the Forum for "LiveConfigs" to get a lot more information on that issue.

-Michael

Nice.

Thx.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:47 AM   #9
ymaresz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

-Michael
Hello Michael
I can't download you pdf..
Do you still have it ?

Thanks
an
ymaresz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
mschnell

???
I see it when clicking on the link you quote.
-Michael
Old 11-23-2022, 01:56 AM   #11
ymaresz

oh yes indeed, it was a Brave browser issue.
All good

Thanks
Yan
Old 11-26-2022, 01:12 AM   #12
ymaresz

Hello

I'm trying to set up a Live Config to switch synth presets and I have a issue with the "SWS/S&M: Trigger next preset for FX 1 of selected tracks" action.

I see the row configs being activated by the cc fine but the action is not triggered.
Double clicking on the row does not work either
Any advice ?

Also, I would need to use a keyboard note (like midi 108) to trigger "SWS/S&M: Live Config #1 - Apply next config".
I read in Michael manual about the "only last stable midi message" and the alternative to use "two note-One Midi message" but I'm confused about how to achive this.

Thank you..

Yan

Last edited by ymaresz; 11-26-2022 at 01:53 AM.