Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #41
Kaiso
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Yes, but it was only one developer for a long time. Do you remember Winamp? Same guy.
Wow! I knew he was involved, but I assumed he oversaw a hive of developers. I still can't fathom creating this wonderful program solo or with just a partner.
Kaiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #42
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiso View Post
Wow! I knew he was involved, but I assumed he oversaw a hive of developers. I still can't fathom creating this wonderful program solo or with just a partner.
That's why you didn't invent Reaper.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #43
The Frown

My list of problems with REAPER is about 0.1% the length of my list of loves. Great DAW, would take a lot to convince me to switch to another at this point.
The Frown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #44
chacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiso View Post
For Real? Is it only two people?! I'm not a software engineer, but use a lot of 3D modeling software. I know for a fact they have lots of developers. Every time I use Reaper (I'm a beginner) I am amazed by it and assumed there was a phalanx of developers feverishly generating code for the rapid fixes and updates/upgrades. Two people? C'mon.
It is like playing an instrument. There are people who work on their skill and chops for thousands of hours... to be mediocre.
And then there are a few guys who are lazy in comparisson and... are amazing.
Just the way it is.
chacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #45
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
For real. I've had so much fun making music and messing around with REAPER for over 13 years now.

I'm a software engineer at a huge company, and I can hardly fathom the complexity of writing and maintaining an application like this with just 2 people. It is an absolutely remarkable achievement.

I'm excited to see where it goes in the next 5-10 years. It's really cool to see what people like John from Tukan Studio are doing with the JSFX plugins. The MPL drum rack thing and the Bitwig-like "devices" idea is very cool too.

Anyways, happy holidays to the devs and everyone in this forum for all the help over the years.
The biggest impact will be made by Realearn and the clip engine, flooding over Ableton Live and Bitwig users over to Reaper forums. Wisest decision by Reapers Master Justin would be supporting Benjamin, helgoboss, for 2 years (or at least 1 year) so he can work solely improving clip engine and creating more videos explaining various often asked use cases, and watch how Ableton Live and Bitwig users are flooding Reaperlands.
And I am asking adding a separate forum section only for Realearn + clip engine, yes only for those. They deserve it. Then we could try taking any hardware we know of, for example, some Elektron device for example, taking a single feature of it, no matter what, then trying to replicate it fully or to some degree, using Realearn + clip engine + all available options inside and outside of Reaper. Just for testing the possible capabilities and triggering more use case ideas, how far one could go with above mentioned tools. So a separate forum section, collecting such posts, would be wise and cool.

A DAW has those main fields:
0- editing (audio, midi, automation)
1- audio input
2- audio output
3- midi input
4- midi output
5- control input
6- control output (feedback)
7- clip engine (session view in Ableton Live)

Realearn solves 5,6,7 elegantly, thus deserves special treatment, as it empowers Reaper DAW with very special powers, very fundamental features, could be included in Reaper but was not until Realearn 2 was developed. Thus helgoboss deserves a special thanking, by 2 year support or at least 1 year support in my opinion. Not to forget special forum sections only for them. No it should not be mixed with rest control techniques, those can stay where they are here very elegant solution was created and is still developing...

Thanks in advance for any comments on this topic and your views.

Last edited by TonE; 12-03-2022 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added two videos for the eyes
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #46
foxAsteria

If you love hate and hate love but use Reaper, everything will be alright.

Or maybe it won't. You never know. But I do. And so should you. All you need is Reaper.

What is it? It's it. You are what you Reap. And that's that, folks.

((Also, I love Reaper) Viva La Reaper))<>((Forever)).

Last edited by foxAsteria; 12-03-2022 at 05:29 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #47
michael diemer

I reap love and I use it. Or did someone already say that?
Old 12-05-2022, 01:38 AM   #48
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I reap love and I use it. Or did someone already say that?
It was a bit different:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
I reap lover and I use it.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:31 AM   #49
michael diemer

Apologies to Frankie, please don't hit me with plagiarism suit.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:21 AM   #50
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
The biggest impact will be made by Realearn and the clip engine, flooding over Ableton Live and Bitwig users over to Reaper forums.
That would be the perfect recipe for a complete disaster. Both those user groups are accustomed to DAWs that hold your hand and make things simple for you. If you let them loose in REAPER they’d shoot them selves in the foot in no time. There’s a YT video of a Live user who tries REAPER for the first time. It’s hillarious. He’s totally clueless.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:24 AM   #51
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
There’s a YT video of a Live user who tries REAPER for the first time. It’s hillarious. He’s totally clueless.
Now you simply must share the link.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #52
nait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben View Post
That would be the perfect recipe for a complete disaster. Both those user groups are accustomed to DAWs that hold your hand and make things simple for you. If you let them loose in REAPER they’d shoot them selves in the foot in no time. There’s a YT video of a Live user who tries REAPER for the first time. It’s hillarious. He’s totally clueless.

Honest question, I love Reaper, but why wouldn't you want a DAW that makes things easy for you? "Difficult to use" isn't exactly a selling point. lol

For the record though, I tried Ableton once and I was instantly annoyed when I couldn't figure out how to use one track to route a MIDI VST (arp/sequencer) into a VSTi. I'm not even sure that's possible on the same track.. something Reaper does with ease!

I find that all DAWs have their learning curves. It's just a case of taking the time to learn. Reaper's can be a bit steep, but its biggest selling point is it does everything for a nearly unbeatable price.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #53
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Honest question, I love Reaper, but why wouldn't you want a DAW that makes things easy for you? "Difficult to use" isn't exactly a selling point. lol
Because "making things easy for you" is another way of saying "making it so you can't break anything." In hand-holding DAW's like there's generally only one way to do something, you can't change shortcuts, build macros, customize, etc.

Basically Reaper puts all of it's power in your hands and says, "go nuts." Which you certainly will if you just want the shortest route from A to B.

Just depends which a user finds more frustrating; having to figure out why things didn't work or not being allowed to work the way you want. Of course by the very nature of audio production, nothing is ever easy, esp for noobs, and there's always more to learn.

I love Reaper. I'm so deep in the woods that I'm totally crippled in a stock setup...barely know a single shortcut. I can't even watch Kenny videos because my Reaper hardly resembles his and everything's lost in translation.

But I kinda like the hard road...and after years of walking it, it's really damn smooth now. And my Reaper is MY REAPER!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #54
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I said nothing of what I want in a DAW. I merely made an observation. Horses for courses. Some folks assume that if REAPER only had feature X people would flock to it from other programs but it’s not that simple. All DAWs are not the same and they cater to different groups of users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Because "making things easy for you" is another way of saying "making it so you can't break anything." In hand-holding DAW's like there's generally only one way to do something, you can't change shortcuts, build macros, customize, etc.

Basically Reaper puts all of it's power in your hands and says, "go nuts." Which you certainly will if you just want the shortest route from A to B.
Yeah. This.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:37 AM   #55
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
The biggest impact will be made by Realearn and the clip engine, flooding over Ableton Live and Bitwig users over to Reaper forums. Wisest decision by Reapers Master Justin would be supporting Benjamin, helgoboss, for 2 years (or at least 1 year) so he can work solely improving clip engine and creating more videos explaining various often asked use cases, and watch how Ableton Live and Bitwig users are flooding Reaperlands.
And I am asking adding a separate forum section only for Realearn + clip engine, yes only for those. They deserve it. Then we could try taking any hardware we know of, for example, some Elektron device for example, taking a single feature of it, no matter what, then trying to replicate it fully or to some degree, using Realearn + clip engine + all available options inside and outside of Reaper. Just for testing the possible capabilities and triggering more use case ideas, how far one could go with above mentioned tools. So a separate forum section, collecting such posts, would be wise and cool.

A DAW has those main fields:
0- editing (audio, midi, automation)
1- audio input
2- audio output
3- midi input
4- midi output
5- control input
6- control output (feedback)
7- clip engine (session view in Ableton Live)

Realearn solves 5,6,7 elegantly, thus deserves special treatment, as it empowers Reaper DAW with very special powers, very fundamental features, could be included in Reaper but was not until Realearn 2 was developed. Thus helgoboss deserves a special thanking, by 2 year support or at least 1 year support in my opinion. Not to forget special forum sections only for them. No it should not be mixed with rest control techniques, those can stay where they are here very elegant solution was created and is still developing...

Thanks in advance for any comments on this topic and your views.

Hear hear!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #56
jerome_oneil

Quote:
For real. I've had so much fun making music and messing around with REAPER for over 13 years now.

I'm a software engineer at a huge company, and I can hardly fathom the complexity of writing and maintaining an application like this with just 2 people. It is an absolutely remarkable achievement.
Just curious if you've worked in other organizations besides "Huge Company?"

I've worked in lots of companies, large and small, and what never fails to happen as a company grows is they don't add more developers, they add more management on top of developers.

Startup growth curve is basically "Company hires one or two guys, who build out the product. Company is successful with product. Company asks one or two man team to build an anti-gravity machine. Developers push back. Company hires 'program manager' to figure out why their anti-gravity machine idea is in so much trouble...."

I've seen a single developer being "managed" by four separate managers. A team of three or four quality developers, left unencumbered, can do a whole lot.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:22 PM   #57
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I can't even watch Kenny videos because my Reaper hardly resembles his and everything's lost in translation.
I feel the same way watching a lot of other people's videos.

What is this sorcery!!!!
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #58
klong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Just curious if you've worked in other organizations besides "Huge Company?"
they add more management on top of developers.
totally. I've had similar experience at a company with ~10 people where I was the primary developer (not even a great one or anything).

also worked at a company with about 200 people, and so many managers, PMs, technical writers, and sales people, meanwhile it's a startup with barely a minimum viable product. They sold to a big company for pennies on the dollar.

I actually like working at Microsoft a lot, and part of me wishes I joined a lot earlier instead of messing around at no-name startups.
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:48 AM   #59
The Frown

Quote:
I actually like working at Microsoft a lot, and part of me wishes I joined a lot earlier instead of messing around at no-name startups.
Can you tell your managers or whoever that File Explorer needs an option to remember currently open tabs when closing the app, like all internet browsers can. Thanks.
The Frown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #60
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frown View Post
Can you tell your managers or whoever that File Explorer needs an option to remember currently open tabs when closing the app, like all internet browsers can. Thanks.
Oh yeah. And while you're at it, tell them that I don't care what some other application is doing, when I set the task bar to "auto-hide" then it should. Always. Without exception.

Thanks!
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote