Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 12-02-2022, 07:31 AM   #1
greatzot
Human being with feelings

Default Video: Still image limited to default time or less in playback and render

If in trying to create a video for my audio, I add a still image, and then play back, the image displays in the video window for whatever time the default "still image thumbnail display" is set to. (1000ms, e.g.)

If I try to extend that time in the track by clicking and dragging or changing the item properties, it looks like it works in the track, but the playback remains the same.

On the other hand, if I shorten it, the time display actually does get reduced--so there's different behavior for attempted shortening vs. attempted lengthening, and the "default" is apparently also being treated as a "maximum".

I also tried rendering to see if it was just a display thing, but the rendered video gave the same result.

Initially tried this in Reaper 6.61 64-bit but then updated to 6.71 and got the same results. OS is Windows 10 64 bit.
greatzot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
vitalker

Maybe you just have Loop section unchecked in Item properties?
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
greatzot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Maybe you just have Loop section unchecked in Item properties?
Thanks, that does seem to fix the result. That said, it's not intuitive. I don't have to set the item to "loop" to get the default time to work...so why do I have to do that if I want to change the time?

I am also guessing this has to do with the default preferences of Reaper out of the box. I remember when I first used it I found the automatic looping of audio I imported infuriating. It was one of the first things I changed. Now it looks like I've found the one use case for me where looping might be preferable...but there doesn't seem to be a way to set it to only apply to still images, and nothing else. So I'm guessing I have to either set the preferences to loop imported items, then import all the still images to get them flagged as looping items, then turn the preference off again, or set it individually per image.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
akademie

You can also set Playback rate to 0.00000 in the Media Item Properties dialog (F2 key shortcut) for the image.
Then it does not matter if the item is looped or not, just drag the right edge of item to the end of your audio track
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:46 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatzot View Post
Thanks, that does seem to fix the result. That said, it's not intuitive. I don't have to set the item to "loop" to get the default time to work...so why do I have to do that if I want to change the time?

I am also guessing this has to do with the default preferences of Reaper out of the box. I remember when I first used it I found the automatic looping of audio I imported infuriating. It was one of the first things I changed. Now it looks like I've found the one use case for me where looping might be preferable...but there doesn't seem to be a way to set it to only apply to still images, and nothing else. So I'm guessing I have to either set the preferences to loop imported items, then import all the still images to get them flagged as looping items, then turn the preference off again, or set it individually per image.
That's probably enabled by default. You can change it in Preferences->Media item defaults. Check "Loop source..." all of them or some.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
greatzot

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
You can also set Playback rate to 0.00000 in the Media Item Properties dialog (F2 key shortcut) for the image.
Then it does not matter if the item is looped or not, just drag the right edge of item to the end of your audio track
Thanks for the additional tip. Took me a minute to figure out "set" just means "type and hit enter", as there is a "set" button next to it, but clicking on that prevented the new rate from being saved. (Not really clear what that does as there is both a source bpm box and a measure:beats box...but noticed when you set rate to 0 clicking on that then shows the Source bpm as 120000.000000 instead of 120.000000.)

Just out of curiosity I also tried setting the default still thumbnail preference to 0ms to see if that had the same effect, but it seems that it then treats it as 1000ms, though it doesn't tell you that, you just have to find out when you drop something in. (And I also discovered if you're not careful when dragging and dropping an image into the beginning of a track, you might end up with an image in the track control panel. I guess that might be handy if I ever want to icon-code my tracks...)