Old 03-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
amagalma
Human being with feelings

Default v6.52+dev0323 - March 23 2022

v6.52+dev0323 - March 23 2022

• * Includes feature branch: display options for recent projects list
  • * Includes feature branch: update ARA to version 2.1
  • * Includes feature branch: insert new track when importing media via mouse drag-drop
  • * Includes feature branch: embedding images in ogg, opus files when rendering or converting
  • * Includes feature branch: render loudness graphing
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + API: FX_SetParam/FX_SetParamNormalized do not send notifications when called from audio threads
  • + AU: resize AUv3 views to their containers on resize
  • + Logical sorting: improve order of various characters (_- / number / UTF-8 / alpha) [t=264382]
  • + Media explorer: add action to delete with prompting
  • + Opus: ensure all samples are flushed to file when rendering at sample rates other than 48k
  • + ReaSurroundPan: account for channel mapping when running action to set input names/colors from sending tracks [t=264484]
  • + Render: support rendering to mp3 (as primary or secondary output) when processing at >48k
  • # Media item lanes: fix lane divider display when track is small
  • # Media item lanes: make track/lane divider element more visible in default color theme [p=2538535]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #2
tonalstates

Since dev's are still adding stuff to Media Explorer, I wonder if adding this was possible?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=264568
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
[*]+ ReaSurroundPan: account for channel mapping when running action to set input names/colors from sending tracks [t=264484]
Oh, if you have time for ReaSurroundPan, please, look at this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=264532
It's a painful bug, because forced me go back to old Reasurround.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
HighVoltage

Thanks for listing and grouping favorited files in the media explorer when filtering!!! (Did not see that in the changelogs)

But now it is impossible to mark a file as favorite when the filter is active. Is this deliberate?
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
JRTaylorMusic

I posted this in “Track Lanes Discussion”, but thought it might be more helpful in a relevant dev build thread.

I'm loving what I'm seeing so far. I hope these suggestions/FRs might fit well/easily:
  • Option to show only [play only] lane
  • Actions: Fixed Lane: Change [play only] lane to next/previous lane
  • Target lane for recording (and/or pasting) – My preference would be to combine Takes with Fixed Lanes, where new recordings create new takes in target lane (thus facilitating a workflow similar to yet more powerful than ProTools playlists).
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
bolgwrad

The media item lanes improvements are great. Caught myself trying to drag the divider lines up and down.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #7
vsgrt

Sadly, the count-in recording issue introduced in 6.49 is still persisting in 6.52
Has anybody else experienced this?

Issue:
Impossible to hold a note (for example ReaSynth or other synth plugin) during the metronome count-in and having it record at the very start of the measure. What happens is that any sound initiated during the count-in is not registering in 6.49 and later, while in 6.48 and earlier it records like expected. The result is that i can not record anything on time anymore and need to stay at 6.48!

It works in 6.48 and every release before that for years. In 6.49+devxxxx and beyond (including 6.52+dev0323), this simply stopped working.

I have tried everything (including a fresh portable install with default settings/.ini, various plugins, ) and i'm getting desperate about it

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but i feel it is a pressing issue since it was behavior that was changed recently. Justin couldn't recreate it, but maybe someone else have had this issue recently?
I would really really appreciate any information about this.

edit:

If i record MIDI it _does_ recognise the notes that i press and hold during the count-in, but no sound! I only get sound after i stop recording and play back the notes. But recording to audio, i get nothing from the notes pressed during count-in.

If it helps creating a movie/GIF of this, i can do that as well.

Last edited by vsgrt; 03-23-2022 at 06:24 PM.
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:45 PM   #8
lavmort

Could it be possible to create a new track when importing media via mouse drag-n-drop between tracks?
lavmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:29 PM   #9
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavmort View Post
Could it be possible to create a new track when importing media via mouse drag-n-drop between tracks?
Isn't that what this does, You need to enable it.
Preferences > Media > Allow drag-import to insert tracks

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-24-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:03 AM   #10
Pink Wool

Pressing the lane number now does this (instead of the previous where it would just toggle soloing the lane):

Is this intentional?

Edit: Oh I see, it's double-click that does that (change media item selection)!
Well, that's something I didn't expect. Double-clicking the track solo button doesn't do that. There's also no mouse modifier for it...

Edit edit: Also, why does double-clicking then also change the lane play state??

Last edited by Pink Wool; 03-24-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:32 AM   #11
chmaha

Quote:
[*] * Includes feature branch: render loudness graphing
It would be great to include a way to save the graph as a hi-res image so it can be included in mastering reports etc. What can I say? Engineers and clients alike seem to enjoy looking at pretty graphs
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:03 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

The render_stats.html page itself is portable, you could rename that file and share it, it doesn't need to have REAPER on the system or any project information. You could also print the web page as pdf.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:11 AM   #13
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsgrt View Post
Sadly, the count-in recording issue introduced in 6.49 is still persisting in 6.52
Yes, i can confirm this, i’m experiencing the same behaviour
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:09 AM   #14
sockmonkey72

Quote:

Issue:
Impossible to hold a note (for example ReaSynth or other synth plugin) during the metronome count-in and having it record at the very start of the measure. What happens is that any sound initiated during the count-in is not registering in 6.49 and later, while in 6.48 and earlier it records like expected. The result is that i can not record anything on time anymore and need to stay at 6.48!

It works in 6.48 and every release before that for years. In 6.49+devxxxx and beyond (including 6.52+dev0323), this simply stopped working.

I have tried everything (including a fresh portable install with default settings/.ini, various plugins, ) and i'm getting desperate about it

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but i feel it is a pressing issue since it was behavior that was changed recently. Justin couldn't recreate it, but maybe someone else have had this issue recently?

edit:

If i record MIDI it _does_ recognise the notes that i press and hold during the count-in, but no sound! I only get sound after i stop recording and play back the notes. But recording to audio, i get nothing from the notes pressed during count-in.

I'm trying to reproduce on macOS and it's working (as far as I can tell) properly. I tried both external hardware (recording MIDI, recording audio, recording both) and with ReaSynth (recording input[MIDI] and recording output[audio]), and both are audible and recorded correctly. On my system.

So maybe a GIF would be helpful to see how it's set up on your system.

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 03-24-2022 at 04:16 AM.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:18 AM   #15
vsgrt

Thank you both for testing this!

Interesting to see one working and one not.
I'll create a GIF and try to bring as much information as i can, as soon as possible.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:35 AM   #16
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The render_stats.html page itself is portable, you could rename that file and share it, it doesn't need to have REAPER on the system or any project information. You could also print the web page as pdf.
Fair enough. Thanks, that works!
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:06 AM   #17
musicbynumbers

small media explorer bug that would be great if there's an easy fix for it

If you do a search of some folders so that it creates a list in media explorer.

If you then go down through this list auditioning them using the mouse. Eventually, media explorer will randomly scroll back up to the top of the list meaning you loose your place and have to scroll down again.

I have a feeling maybe reaper is refreshing the list in the background in case new files have been added to it?
Old 03-24-2022, 07:49 AM   #18
juan_r

Not sure it's the right forum, but also my gripe about (MIDI) monitoring being inactive during pre-count or pre-roll might be related.

If this feature is being looked at, it would be really nice to fix this shortcoming.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:06 AM   #19
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Not sure it's the right forum, but also my gripe about (MIDI) monitoring being inactive during pre-count or pre-roll might be related.

If this feature is being looked at, it would be really nice to fix this shortcoming.
IMHO the best way to deal with this is to treat count-in and pre-roll the same and have them both monitor AND record during both the pre-roll and the count-in. Any other way you do it will result in something getting dropped - for example, if you play audio very slightly ahead of the downbeat of the target measure during a count-in. There is never a situation where you would want that information cut off. It's very easy to trim something over. It's impossible to get back something Reaper never recorded in the first place.

This would solve the above and make it easier for new users to use either option with more consistent results as well as prevent data from being lost - which is critical especially in live recording sessions. As Juan said, if this is being looked at to correct the above, it would be a great opportunity to make this consistent so there is no confusion and more importantly, never a situation where a target measure entrance gets lost or cut off.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:45 AM   #20
Edgemeal

Quote:

+1 I hate how REAPER disables inputs during count-in/roll-in, I'm always wondering.. did my interface/midi just die?, did something get unplugged?, is the volume control on the guitar turned off?, totally distracting!

EDIT
Even adding an extra track set to "input monitoring only" doesn't work, input on that track is also cut off during count-in, why would that track need to be cut off??, its not even recording anything!!

Last edited by Edgemeal; 03-24-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:57 AM   #21
ferropop

It's not trivial though, what if the foot pedal is engaged in the MIDI happening during preroll, how should that be dealt with? Should it pedal your input? And if not, now your preview of that data is incorrect. What if you press the pedal during preroll - should it pedal the MIDI that's there? etc.

ps, fully agree that it needs to be looked at - just that it needs to be considered carefully. Especially with MPE devices, if you slide in a note for example, you will not hear it once recording kicks in as things are now - and this is a huge problem because usually you're sliding between notes and not retriggering so you actually never hear any audio unless you force a note retrigger! Punch-ins with the Seaboard for example, are almost impossible and require trimming the item to the preroll area.

edit: my workaround when playing in 808 slides for example, is to actually "take over" the note with the other hand when you land on it at the end of a slide, forcing a retrigger. It also helps with Reaper's lack of vertical snap in MIDI CC lanes, which is a crazy thing to deal with at 48-semitone pitchbend, as you are triggering a fresh note rather than trying to massage a 1-pixel=300cents pitchbend.

Last edited by ferropop; 03-24-2022 at 10:52 AM.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #22
Justin
Administrator

Quote:

Issue:

edit:

For me, as long as I disable prefs/fx/vst "don't flush synthesizer plug-ins on stop/reset" then it works fine (6.48 also requires this configuration). If I do it direct on a fresh portable install it works (with that one change).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #23
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
IMHO the best way to deal with this is to treat count-in and pre-roll the same and have them both monitor AND record during both the pre-roll and the count-in. Any other way you do it will result in something getting dropped - for example, if you play audio very slightly ahead of the downbeat of the target measure during a count-in. There is never a situation where you would want that information cut off. It's very easy to trim something over. It's impossible to get back something Reaper never recorded in the first place.

This would solve the above and make it easier for new users to use either option with more consistent results as well as prevent data from being lost - which is critical especially in live recording sessions. As Juan said, if this is being looked at to correct the above, it would be a great opportunity to make this consistent so there is no confusion and more importantly, never a situation where a target measure entrance gets lost or cut off.
THANK YOU for bringing this up. I've brought this up numerous times in the past on different threads.

DEVS... please, if your head is in this area of the code, PLEASE address a longstanding (what I consider) bug -- MIDI and Audio do not behave the same way during Pre-Record:

• When you have "Record During Pre-Roll" set to ON, it doesn't work with MIDI. It does with Audio... why not MIDI??

And there really really should (MUST!) be a way to record MIDI and Audio during a count-off -- NOT to be confused with preroll. Why is this important? Because often we don't want to hear the previous measure before the downbeat because it is at a different tempo (tempo and meter changes). Count-in is critical if you are recording at a different tempo than the previous bar. The count-in should always be at the Meter and Tempo of the current measure... and should be "listening" to MIDI and Audio and include that data in the file when you extend your item to the left.

Thanks so much Devs!!

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 03-24-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #24
tonalstates

Yes to all Thonex said ^ 1+
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #25
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post

I'm definitely agree. Audio and midi should be recorded as during pre-roll as pre-count. It's most consistent and safe way.
Especially it need if there is music with changing tempo in different parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
It's not trivial though, what if the foot pedal is engaged in the MIDI happening during preroll, how should that be dealt with? Should it pedal your input? And if not, now your preview of that data is incorrect. What if you press the pedal during preroll - should it pedal the MIDI that's there? etc.

Yeah, it has some midi limitations, but we can easily drag left edge of items and fix it. More safer than we couldn't.
Most of first notes in measure play slightly forward as common practice. All the more in midi with soft attack instruments. So the in point needed to edit anyway.

EDIT: Ah! Thonex already said it!
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #26
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Well, look. It CURRENTLY is inconsistent. You can record audio during a pre-roll. MIDI you can't. And there is a pref for enabling audio recording during pre-roll but none for MIDI. IMHO it makes no sense to enable pre-roll recording for audio but disable it for MIDI. If you are worried about a trigger pedal being captured as midi, that is easily solvable a couple ways. First, also have a pref for recording midi during pre roll (which in your case you could just turn off). Second, make it work the same way as a captured audio pre-roll, which by default starts the item at the target measure, not the pre-roll measure. If you want the pre-roll audio, you have to trim the item back. Just make it work the same for midi. Then your pedal press won't be there unless you trim the item earlier. So literally, to solve the issue you are just making it work the same way audio pre-roll recording currently works. Simple.

I think the best way to demonstrate the problems here is by looking at this from the perspective of a new user. So, basically here is what a new user is looking at.

1) You can record audio during pre-roll but not midi during pre-roll. Since a new user has no idea this is the case (nor is it easy info to find) they will set a pre-roll, record midi and... it won't be there. Pretty confusing.

2) The pre-roll will not work unless the metronome is enabled. The transport pre-roll will still work without the metronome enabled, but the pre-roll audio itself won't be recorded. So, the new user happens to have the metronome disabled, records their audio then trims the item back. Only to find... it's not there. They are just trimming back a duplicate of the recorded audio of the target measure. Extremely confusing.

3) Since pre-roll only works with the metronome, it cannot be set to anything other than bars/beats. So a new user that comes to Reaper and tries to figure out how to record 2 seconds of pre-roll will be stumbling around the forum and reading the manual only to find... it's not possible. Again, pretty confusing.

4) Count-in as opposed to pre-roll does not record anything at all during the count-in. Oftentimes a new user won't want to hear a previous bar or has a tempo change on the recording bar and thus will use a count-in versus a pre-roll. But unlike how they have set up their pre-roll they will again go looking around how to record during that count-in only to find... it's not possible. Cue the look of confusion on the new user's face. Or when they set a count-in and record ever so slightly before the downbeat (like pretty much everyone on planet earth not named Steve Gadd or Vinnie Colaiuta do) only to find... it's not there.

Now like I said in my above post, if you just make them function the same between audio/midi and pre-roll/count-in then you don't have any of these issues. Everything is consistent and new users won't be confused about how this works. And per Ferro's question above regarding things like a midi trigger pedal to start recording, it is easily solved simply by making them function the same. No inconsistencies between them, no confused new (or experienced) users. Everybody wins.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #27
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
[*]+ API: FX_SetParam/FX_SetParamNormalized do not send notifications when called from audio threads
Thanks so much for that one! This was the last piece of the puzzle to make participation of ReaLearn in offline rendering finally work.
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #28
mehmethan

Vocalign plugin is not working correctly here.The ARA function is not working. I don't know if this issue is Reaper related or plugin itself. I mailed to Syncroarts about this and waiting for reply. (I'm using latest version of Vocalign).
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #29
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
For me, as long as I disable prefs/fx/vst "don't flush synthesizer plug-ins on stop/reset" then it works fine (6.48 also requires this configuration). If I do it direct on a fresh portable install it works (with that one change).
I did a portable install for both 6.47 and 6.52 just now:
I also added some GIF's to show what happens when i record to MIDI (one for 6.52 and one for 6.47). This is using ReaSynth, with a blank reaper.ini.

(The behaviour is the same between audio and MIDI, but with MIDI you can easier see that the MIDI is actually recording but the sound is not. )

In 6.47, the 'don't flush synthesizer" setting doesn't affect this either way for me.
Same with 6.52. No matter what i set that setting to, the behaviour is the same: 6.47 works and 6.52 don't.

I'm on a macbook pro 2020, macOS Catalina (10.15.7). Both virtual keyboard and external MIDI keyboard is affected. The precise change in behavior (for me) happens at reaper649+dev0221.

Edit: I can't find the final release of 6.49 on the webpage, only dev builds. And with 6.48 i can only find final release, not dev builds. So maybe there is som release other than dev0221 where something changed, but based on the releases available on the site, 6.48 is the last "good" release regarding this issue, and 6.49+dev0221 is where it stopped working for me.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6.52 MIDI.gif (145.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: gif 6.47 MIDI.gif (161.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by vsgrt; 03-24-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:43 PM   #30
vsgrt

Here is audio example:

6.47:

6.52:
Old 03-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #31
vsgrt

I figured out something!

If i use the "pre-roll before recording" in metronome settings, everything works in 6.52.
But i used the "count-in before recording", and that somehow doesn't work after 6.48.
Might be worth looking into.

But i'm happy just using the pre-roll as it behaves the same.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #32
Thonex

Quote:
I figured out something!

If i use the "pre-roll before recording" in metronome settings, everything works in 6.52.
But i used the "count-in before recording", and that somehow doesn't work after 6.48.
Might be worth looking into.

But i'm happy just using the pre-roll as it behaves the same.
Yes... this whole area needs to be addressed. Oddly, Pre-roll won't record MIDI. Without trying to overwhelm the Devs, I posted this above:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=23

Cheers,

Andrew K
Old 03-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #33
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
Because often we don't want to hear the previous measure before the downbeat because it is at a different tempo (tempo and meter changes)
Also when singing at a key change.

My personal favorite use case: a "monitor only" track monitoring my own live MIDI to lead me into singing a difficult opening note (especially with harmonies).
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #34
Icchan

There are many other long standing issues with MIDI and audio being treated differently. they're probably legacy issues.

For example, if you setup the recorded media item name wildcards in the settings, that isn't followed by MIDI items at all UNLESS you've disabled embedded midi items and use separate .mid files... which brings other limitations to how you have to deal with MIDI data.

I see no technical limitation (character limit inside the reaper project file?) for enabling the proper wildcard support for embedded MIDI-item names as well so we can have more useful names for them.

But it's been there for a long, long time.

One small step at a time...

Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:08 AM   #35
Thonex

Quote:
Also when singing at a key change.

My personal favorite use case: a "monitor only" track monitoring my own live MIDI to lead me into singing a difficult opening note (especially with harmonies).
Very good point!

Cheers,

Andrew K