Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-17-2021, 02:29 AM   #1
ny3
Human being with feelings

Default [6.29 win64] misbehaving "preserve pitch..." when using playrate envelope

• What sort of bug is this?: Reaper function misbehaving.
  • Bug description: "preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate" does not work correctly when playrate envelopes are used that have one or more ramp sections. The bug introduces unexpected pitch artefacts (such as causing the pitch to drop when the playback speed increases!)
  • Severity: Makes this Reaper function combination unusable (except in limited cases)
  • Intermittent or always: Always (in my testing)
  • Was tested on a fresh portable install of Reaper v6.29 64bit. Previously tested on v5.99 where I noticed the bug.

How to demonstrate:
  • see sample reaper project file attached*, or
  • insert an audio item into a track
  • view the master track
  • view the playrate envelope in the master track
  • in the playrate envelope insert some points and move them so that the envelope has at least one ramp section to raise or lower the play rate.
  • right click on the project playback rate control and ensure "preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate" is enabled.
  • Play the audio and note what happens to the pitch.
  • Compare this with what happens when "preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate" is disabled.
  • Note that when "preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate" is enabled the pitch actually drops (!) when the playrate increases.

(Note to developer: the pitch errors appear to be consistent with the code interpretting the envelope points as describing a stepped envelope rather than a ramped envelope.
If this is the case, the error may be in that part of the code that compensates for the pitch change caused by the playrate change.)

*media file excluded
Attached Files
File Type: rpp reaper629bug.rpp (2.7 KB, 61 views)
ny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Dark River

When using your .rpp file I can confirm your issue.
BUT when creating a new project here, and duplicating your example, everything works as expected.

Leads me to think your project file is at issue (have you tried a fresh project file?) or possibly your Reaper install is at issue.

Hopefully someone here can look deeper into your project file and find the problem.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
ny3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark River View Post
When using your .rpp file I can confirm your issue.
BUT when creating a new project here, and duplicating your example, everything works as expected.

Leads me to think your project file is at issue (have you tried a fresh project file?) or possibly your Reaper install is at issue.
Thanks for looking at the issue. However, the bug does not seem to be an install issue or isolated to a specific project file. In fact, before I posted the bug report I did a fresh install of v6.29 just to verify that the bug was real and current.

The bug is also present in a separate v5.99 installation. (I can upload this project file if it helps).

You said you could get a Reaper to work without the bug. I have have not been able to do this. Is it possible for you to upload your project file?
Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Dark River

Hey ny3,
I am sitting here trying to create a file that, as I said, is behaving normally. But I can't. Your bug is now haunting me. All I can say is I apologize for, apparently, not being thorough before responding initally.
In my test this morning I had inserted an old track of a crazy guitar solo - crazy enough that I didn't hear what was happening. Now, using a long tone, it is clearly a bug that we are experiencing. Again, I am sorry to have misled you for a minute.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
ny3

Dark River, no problem re your earlier suggestion. Thanks for testing and confirming the bug.