Old 10-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Philbo King
Human being with feelings

Default A new control surface with video feedback

Anybody see this yet? Looks pretty cool. Supports a lot of DAWs besides Reaper too. The introductory price is 650 Euros. (I am not affiliated, BTW)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D9nA4Rl8S88

Last edited by Philbo King; 10-11-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Funkybot

The downside I see with this is that it's a plugin host. So very similar to Novation's old Automap, or Komplete Kontrol. So you basically have to use it as a wrapper. If in a few years, you want to recall a project and no longer use the device, nothing's going to load. It's a clunky, but portable solution. I also have no idea why we need to see the plugin on a big screen, but I'm sure some people will love that aspect.

The price is right, and the idea that it works in any DAW (because it's a plugin that hosts plugins) is great, just not for me. I've been saying it a lot lately, but I'm hoping with MIDI 2.0 being final, DAWs, plugins, and hardware are a few years away from supporting the bi-directional communication with parameter name and mapping and solutions like this will become a thing of the past. We can get hardware knob boxes with displays, and use basic MIDI learn to get high resolution control of everything with the parameter names and values appearing right on the screens with no additional software needed. It's a dream, but one that could be a reality in the somewhat near future due to the new protocol.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
Philbo King

I tend to agree. Not sure if the box supports a view of the mixer. That's what I'd be interested in.

IMHO, adding a feature to Reaper where 8 (volume) faders and 8 (pan) knobs get assigned to the selected track and the 7 next tracks, just by selecting a track, would be all I'd need for surface mapping.

I don't need a control surface for plugins; I rarely spend more than 5 or 10 seconds on setting up a plugin, except when mastering.

I share your hope that MIDI2 will change things for the better, but I don't ever hear of it getting any traction in product development. Maybe my grandkids will be able to use it.