Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #81
emarsk
Human being with feelings

It's not that "we" stopped complaining because Sexan solved the problem.
It's that we already expressed our thoughts, and until the developers care to implement a native solution, there's not a lot more to say about this FR.
Sexan did an amazing job, high five to him! But - as good as it is - it's still a workaround: this functionality needs to be core, for reasons that have already been expressed.

The argument that we need to show a hacked implementation for the developers to consider a FR is completely broken. We already had "something to show".

The comparison with other DAW's customer care is also irrelevant. I don't care if Avid is worse than the Reaper devs. Avid sucks and I hate them and I hate that I'm forced to use their bug-plagued piece of rubbish, but that's irrelevant here, it doesn't make Reaper any better.
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #82
EvilDragon

Why does it really NEED to be native, if sexan's solution works great?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #83
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Why does it really NEED to be native, if sexan's solution works great?
Because as impressive as Sexan's solution is, in its current form it still feels slow and clunky compared to what would be possible with a "native" feature. Having to control things from a separate floating window will never be as quick or intuitive to use as something that integrates seamlessly with Reaper's existing gui and controls. Emarsk summarized the problem pretty concisely when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsk View Post
The big point that the script is missing is presenting the playlists as lanes where I can see what's going on and move clips around
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #84
Sexan

Now you can do that (see all playlist at once in lanes,move them around,edit them etc). Anyway lots of new features got in,spend some time coding so everything can be multiedited (multiple tracks at once). 90% of protools behavior is implemented (if anyone cares). Hope to release it soon
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:54 AM   #85
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Now you can do that (see all playlist at once in lanes,move them around,edit them etc). Anyway lots of new features got in,spend some time coding so everything can be multiedited (multiple tracks at once). 90% of protools behavior is implemented (if anyone cares). Hope to release it soon
Hi, is it somewhere to download? I'm not confident with scripts

cheers
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:30 AM   #86
EvilDragon

He says "hope to release soon", so not available yet.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 AM   #87
Miul

Quote:
He says "hope to release soon", so not available yet.
It was june, I thought it might have released it somewhere else

ohhh...I was wrong just 2 days ago!

Last edited by Miul; 08-28-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #88
Sexan

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=118

ReaPack : TrackVersionsWIP
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #89
gusta89

+ 1

maybe we really don't need full management of playlist in protools way, were you have to create every single playlist, but wee need can don't visualized all tracks recorded if we don't need.. if we can compress the view of recorded takes in single a track it will be great!
gusta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #90
MobileAudioRecording

Default Playlists like in Pro Tools

For version 6
Please give us a Playlists-Feature like in Pro Tools!
(And also Editing-Groups...)
This would be extremely handy!
I switched from PT 3 Years ago - love Reaper, it's so versatile, but these 2 features i'm definitely missing...
MobileAudioRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #91
EvilDragon

In the meantime check out Sexan's script.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #92
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileAudioRecording View Post
For version 6
Please give us a Playlists-Feature like in Pro Tools!
(And also Editing-Groups...)
This would be extremely handy!
I switched from PT 3 Years ago - love Reaper, it's so versatile, but these 2 features i'm definitely missing...
Yeah. My list of things I miss from Pro Tools is extremely small now but I will say that Pro Tools playlists, edit groups, and AudioSuite are things that REAPER should natively add.

I have a ton of scripts and have spent far more $$$ on having scripts made than the REAPER business license but there are some things that need to be natively added in order to work correctly and feel trustworthy and playlists, edit groups, and AudioSuite are some of those things.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #93
EvilDragon

Isn't AudioSuite basically just rendering FX and replacing the source media with the rendered one? That's already in Reaper AFAIK.

"Feel trustworthy"? That's really funny.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-18-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #94
MobileAudioRecording

Quote:
Isn't AudioSuite basically just rendering FX and replacing the source media with the rendered one? That's already in Reaper AFAIK.

... Yes it's exactly what AudioSuite does..
MobileAudioRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #95
EvilDragon

Well then that's already possible in Reaper. Here's a custom action "AudioSuite" rendering with custom tail length, should apply to all active takes in all selected items:

Xenakios/SWS: Render item to new take with tail...
Take: Switch items to previous take
Take: Delete active take from items
Take: Switch items to next take
Item: Set items length to source media lengths
Old 02-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #96
MRMJP

Quote:

But in REAPER you have to insert the plugin somewhere. With Pro Tools AudioSuite, the plugin isn't inserted anywhere...it's just open and you destructively offline process the selection with the plugin settings...ideally on a new playlist so you can always get back to the original source if needed.

Please check out what AudioSuite actually is before commenting.

REAPER doesn't have this exactly. Only workarounds.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-22-2019 at 05:14 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #97
jrengmusic

Audiosuite sucks, because destructive processing sucks.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #98
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
Audiosuite sucks, because destructive processing sucks.
Destructive processing can suck but with proper playlists, AudioSuite is not actually destructive and there are special cases where spot processing bits of audio with AudioSuite is great compared to running a plugin or plugins live on a track or item.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 AM   #99
pepe44

hum, in reaper, and pardon me if i get the conversation on a different point, you have Fx per item, which does kind of the same has 'Audiosuite' in Pro Tools. With the advantage of not rendering the item offline.You can change plugin parameter for that specific item fx anytime.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 AM   #100
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
But in REAPER you have to insert the plugin somewhere. With Pro Tools AudioSuite, the plugin isn't inserted anywhere...it's just open and you destructively offline process the selection with the plugin settings...ideally on a new playlist so you can always get back to the original source if needed.

Please check out what AudioSuite actually is before commenting.

REAPER doesn't have this exactly. Only workarounds.
It has this exactly since you can do it with a custom action I just showcased. Sure, it doesn't work in exactly the same way. Much like how not all DAWs do things in the exactly same way, but that doesn't make it a workaround - the general idea of destructively rendering a piece of audio with a plugin is there, and working.

Don't expect Reaper to be a PT copycat, it will never be that and it will never work in exactly the same way (do you have the same expectation of Cubase, S1, or any other DAW?) - stop dreaming and calling everything "workarounds" just because it doesn't work like your beloved PT.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #101
jrengmusic

Default Audiosuite vs Take FX workflow

• IIRC with AudioSuite and PT region playlist you have to commit. Once its rendered, its rendered. Your only option to revert back is to the original (if it was duplicated before printing). In case of minor tweaking after printing, it would be tedious to replace back the original, and re-load the plugins with default settings. Of course you can create and re-load preset of plugin parameter, but that would be too much steps.
  • With REAPER Take FX you can tweak the plugins anytime, it always there. If you need to commit, you can just easily Freeze the track. Still you can revert back to the last editing/processing state by unfreezing the track.
  • Audiosuite only allow one plugin processing at a time. You can utilize multiple plugins, but each plugin must be rendered individually. Takes too much time, harder to revert back for each step.
  • Take FX allow fx chains. It’s night and day difference, in terms of effectiveness and efficiency.

I think it’s all just a matter of mindset. REAPER’s way to do things seems idiosyncratic compared to other DAW because we get used to work in a particular way (other DAW way). Yet, once you embrace how REAPER handles things differently, it’s way easier and subjectively better. Well, not all of them are easier nor better. But still way better than Pro Tools in many aspects.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 AM   #102
EvilDragon

Habit is a bitch.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 AM   #103
MRMJP

I've embraced many things about REAPER vs. Pro Tools over the last few years. There are tons of things REAPER does way better than any other DAW I've used but I truly believe there is value in a true AudioSuite option in combination with Playlists.

I'm just trying to make useful suggestions that others are making as well. If the current method works for you, great. Use it. But it has limitations and will also be a workaround with more steps.

Try going through a song or album worth of songs in REAPER and spot fixing things by having to insert the plugin, glue/render, remove the plug and repeat. Even with REAPER's scripting it's way too many steps.

Some intense plugins don't work so well as item FX when you have an item broken into dozens of items for detailed repair work. Sometimes I am able to make a firm decision, process it and move on. I don't want the plugin running live and slowing down eventual renders of the entire piece.

I'm talking about meticulous detailed spot editing, not general EQ and compression work that you often want to tweak and tweak. I'm talking about black and white edits. Right or wrong. Fixed or not fixed.

By definition AudioSuite is destructive which I agree is bad and not as flexible on a base level. BUT, with proper Playlists (the topic of this thread), it's actually a non-destructive process that is super flexible and has worked for many people for decades now in other DAWs.

I can't f@cking stand Evil Dragon's "holier than thou" negative attitude towards other users, and he has already caused me to leave an otherwise fun and productive REAPER group. Get a life. This is an area for requests and suggestions, not assholes saying that every idea you have is shit.

I'm not asking for REAPER to be Pro Tools, but I don't appreciate ED shitting on ideas and workflows he's never tried and providing solutions that don't actually help.

This forum would be better without his presence, or it least without any options and sticking to facts.

The essence of every response from ED is this:

Fuck you, I've been using REAPER way longer than you. REAPER can already do it and doesn't need any improvements and should never change.

The end.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-27-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #104
Reno.thestraws

If you want the protools style playlist, you don't need anything (script)

here's tthe three steps

1) make sure loop for recording items is disable in pref

2) choose recording mode : tape mode

3) make this custom action

- (optional, depends on workflow) : select all items in track
- set time selection to item
- fit item to time selection, padding with silence if needed
- implode item on same track into takes

Procedure :

Record like in PT

if you want to comp, just run the custom action

then, just split item (or any editing concept you like) and choose take by clicking it

example -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A8...iAzEPOP1VwRECD

EDIT : for perfect working, Justin need to fix the action "implode item on same track" because, when using on items containing more than one take, it duplicate the takes that are already there

Last edited by Reno.thestraws; 02-27-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Reno.thestraws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #105
EvilDragon

Quote:
I'm not asking for REAPER to be Pro Tools
The way you're phrasing it, yes you are. "I will say that Pro Tools playlists, edit groups, and AudioSuite are things that REAPER should natively add."

Quote:
providing solutions that don't actually help.
Ask hundreds of users of this forum who I've generously helped out throughout the years I've been here if that's actually true. I would say that the custom action I outlined up there is a pretty helpful tidbit that helps you in replacing the current take with its own FX into a rendered one (with tail), which is the essence of what AudioSuite is about (minus the part where you'd have to load an FX, of course - but it IS offline processing since you do end up with FX applied destructively - and you cannot argue this).

Quote:
This forum would be better without his presence, or it least without any options and sticking to facts.
You're funny. Forums are all about opinions, not always about facts. Live with it.

Quote:
The essence of every response from ED is this:
You obviously haven't read my posts (I can understand why you didn't, and I could care less) because you'd quickly see that's not the case.

And where did I ever say that Reaper should never change? Point me to the post where I said that, please! Let's not create strawmans here.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 02-27-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #106
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
If you want the protools style playlist, you don't need anything (script)
Thanks for the video but this is not really a solution to anything that I am talking about.

I will admit that I got over my fear of lack of AudioSuite by learning that you can highlight part of an item, open a copy of it in an external editor (RX), make the fix, and then you have both the original version and the fixed version of that section to toggle between as takes. That is great.

If for some reason you don't like the fix you did, you can quickly get back to the original sound for a given section and try it again. Again, these are for black and white fixes like removing mouth clicks, plosives, and other repair work in VERY short sections. Not subjective EQ and compression settings across a long section that can be forever tweaked. 99.9% of time I never need to fall back on the original item take to get the original sound back but it's nice to have the safety net.

Let me say this loud and clear:

I ACTUALLY PREFER THIS METHOD OVER MY OLD WAY OF DOING IT IN PRO TOOLS.

I REAPEAT (FOR ED):

I ACTUALLY PREFER THIS METHOD OVER MY OLD WAY OF DOING IT IN PRO TOOLS.

REAPER DOES THIS BETTER AND FASTER AND I LIKE THAT I ALWAYS GET THE VISUAL FEEDBACK OF THE WAVEFORM (SPECTROGAM VIEW) IN THE IZOTOPE RX APP AS OPPOSED TO DOING IT MORE BLINDLY IN PRO TOOLS WITH AUDIOSUITE AND JUST THE PLUGIN GUI TO WORK FROM.

IT KICKS ASS AND ONE BIG REASON WHY I LOVE WORKING IN REAPER FOR THIS WORKFLOW.

However. this is only good for RX work. If I want to do this workflow with an actual plugin that isn't also an app like RX is, it can't be done efficiently. Even with REAPER's scripting options. It will always be more tedious than a floating off-line plugin window that can just "zap" selections of audio and process them off-line and move on. The type of editing work I'm talking about is very tedious and not conducive to inserting and removing an item effect, even with the scripts to help streamline it.

This, combined with how REAPER's items/takes all need to have the same start and end point is not as good as true playlists where you can have totally uncorrelated audio and item lengths on different playlists.

If ED is going to just drag this thread down though, I'm not going to put any more effort into the cause.

Last edited by MRMJP; 02-27-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #107
J Riley Hill

Playlists aren't better than REAPER takes, just good for different things. still the only thing I miss from PT.
Sexans script is looking pretty sweet so far!
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #108
analogexplosions

Reaper’s take system is far better than Pro Tools’ Playlists.

I love that every take is contained within an “item” and can be moved wherever you need it to go along with all the alternate takes.

This really come in handy when working on a film and the picture cut changes and I have take after take of ADR. IT ALL MOVES WITH THE SELECTED TAKE! This is so handy. Pro Tools reconform methods leav the alternate playlist right where they were recorded, leaving everything a total mess.

Every ADR session I’ve done since switching to Reaper has been so smooth, and I’ve had many, many comments made about how much better it works than Pro Tools.

Now, as far as Audiosuite goes, it’s made completely irrelevant by take fx. The “Render item as New Take” action makes an offline render and applies the fx to the item, leaving the settings in the previous take. If you need to go back and adjust, you just go to the previous take, tweak, and render another take. Having the ability to go back is great, and obviously superior to Audiosuite.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #109
MRMJP

Item FX are great for many things but inserting a plugin many times repetitively throughout a piece of audio and using “Render item as New Take” is not nearly as fast as just listening for issues, highlighting them, and offline processing them a la AudioSuite or Direct Offline Processing (Cubase).

Maybe I'm not stressing enough about doing this with editing tiny sections many times as quickly as possible. Rapid fire style almost. Inserting a plugin and using the right setting/preset over and over can be a major slowdown over time.

PT Style Playlists allow you to get back to the original audio if needed just as easily as REAPER's take system. They just work differently.

FWIW, I've learned to do this quickly with RX edits going back and forth between REAPER and RX standalone app, but it would be nice to do a similar workflow with any plugin like you can in another DAW that shall remain nameless.

Last edited by MRMJP; 03-05-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #110
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
[list][*]IIRC with AudioSuite and PT region playlist you have to commit. Once its rendered, its rendered. Your only option to revert back is to the original (if it was duplicated before printing). In case of minor tweaking after printing, it would be tedious to replace back the original, and re-load the plugins with default settings. Of course you can create and re-load preset of plugin parameter, but that would be too much steps.
No, that's not correct. If you make a selection and audiosuite it you have several options, of which destructive edit is only one. I do narrative editing in PT and audiosuite the plosives out with a keystroke and leave a new audiosuited 100 mill file over the old plosive, which is still there. Audioksuite has never been solely a destructive process, it's always allowed this non-destructive manner. There's never any issue with going back to the original, it's underneath. As in all audio things, you can dupe the file and commit or keep the file with the edits (and the original 100 mill pops underneath) as long as you want or need to send of wavs.

Item FX is a terrific feature, and being able to render with a chain is as well, naturally. But let's compare it to what Audiosuite and playlists (which you don't have to render to use in a session at all. Never) really are.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 PM   #111
analogexplosions

Quote:
Item FX are great for many things but inserting a plugin many times repetitively throughout a piece of audio and using “Render item as New Take” is not nearly as fast as just listening for issues, highlighting them, and offline processing them a la AudioSuite or Direct Offline Processing (Cubase).

Maybe I'm not stressing enough about doing this with editing tiny sections many times as quickly as possible. Rapid fire style almost. Inserting a plugin and using the right setting/preset over and over can be a major slowdown over time.

PT Style Playlists allow you to get back to the original audio if needed just as easily as REAPER's take system. They just work differently.

FWIW, I've learned to do this quickly with RX edits going back and forth between REAPER and RX standalone app, but it would be nice to do a similar workflow with any plugin like you can in another DAW that shall remain nameless.

I have been drooling over the way Steinberg does Direct Offline processing. It looks like it does a realtime cache-render of what you're adjusting and re-caches whenever you adjust. Adding the plugins still seems about the same as it is currently in Reaper.

I have a few FX chains saved for plugins that I tend to want to do "destructively" and have those mapped to keyboard macros so adding and rendering is a single keystroke. For example, I have a setting that works well for 99% of mouth de-clicking, so I have that macro set to add the FX, and instantly render as a new take. I also have my favorite EQ as another that just adds with another keystroke and lets me adjust to taste, then another keystroke renders. Try that and see if it speeds your workflow up.

Last edited by analogexplosions; 03-05-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: forgot a word
analogexplosions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #112
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
No, that's not correct. If you make a selection and audiosuite it you have several options, of which destructive edit is only one. I do narrative editing in PT and audiosuite the plosives out with a keystroke and leave a new audiosuited 100 mill file over the old plosive, which is still there. Audioksuite has never been solely a destructive process, it's always allowed this non-destructive manner. There's never any issue with going back to the original, it's underneath. As in all audio things, you can dupe the file and commit or keep the file with the edits (and the original 100 mill pops underneath) as long as you want or need to send of wavs.

Item FX is a terrific feature, and being able to render with a chain is as well, naturally. But let's compare it to what Audiosuite and playlists (which you don't have to render to use in a session at all. Never) really are.
FINALLY! Somebody who gets it. Try cleaning up dozens and dozens of tiny spots in a long piece in REAPER by adding an item FX every time. Too slow and clunky, and the bigger CPU plugins can induce playback issues and annoyances being inserted on tiny Item FX. The buffer time can be longer than the piece itself!

“Render item as New Take” is a cool feature for doing stuff "here and there", but not for intense, repetitive, and tedious editing work.

Combined with some custom actions, "Open time copy in RX" is actually pretty fast and ended up being my replacement for AudioSuite to fix clicks and pops etc, but that doesn't help if you want to use any other plugin instead of the RX app.

In my PT days, I would have the De-Click plugin and a De-Plosive tool open as AudioSuite windows and just zap the tiny problem sections in one click. Done. You don't want to process long pieces with these tools as they can harm the parts of the audio that don't need the processing.

And also, this post made me realize that AudioSuite is definitely not destructive. I've been wording and thinking about it wrong. AudioSuite processes a new copy of the file (unless you specifically set it to destructive mode which would be dumb).

If you need to get back to the original audio, you can peel back the edge of the clip (item in REAPER terms) and there it is. Original audio.

Or, you can use the elegant playlist system to get back to the original audio if needed.

As somebody who has used PT for years, and then moved to REAPER. I've learned to appreciate and love REAPER in many ways but this is still ONE THING that Pro Tools handles way better than REAPER.

REAPER has exceeding my expectations in many ways and continues to amaze me, but unless you've honestly tried both methods for a period of time, your comments about this are not helpful.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #113
jrengmusic

I had my time with PT from 6 to 10. Still longer than using REAPER until today. I never liked audiosuite workflow. Destructive in terms of you have replace the original and create a new file, cumbersome to tweak or revert back. Playlist is different story.

Nowadays I don’t even need plugins to de-click, de-plosives, or any similar tasks. It’s not perfect, but out of the box spectral editing works great. It is real time, it is tweakable, undoable without having the need to create new rendered file or open any third party application. If the problem couldn’t be fix with spectral editing then the problem is on recording.

I’m not using the fastest most updated machine running REAPER. But even with almost anything running realtime, take FX, item envelope, spectral edit, etc. I never had any problems with CPU usage. I could just freeze or render as new take if i want to commit.

Perhaps my comment aren’t helpful. I’m not trying to fanboy stating REAPER is the best either. When I decided to fully migrate from PT to REAPER i adapt. Painstakingly embrace the steep learning curve. I never look back and didn’t miss anything from PT.

For better or worse it always a matter of subjective preference. It works for me, i’m happy. YMMV.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #114
Gass n Klang

I still miss playlists in everyday life. Take system doesn't work well for click based music because of all the splits and editing of source material (although editing is nondestructive, you lose track of the recorded material).

I don't use item fx very often because of everything MRMJP mentioned. It's very annoying to tweak item fx if you got a lot of splits. I glue a lot of items because of this, so what I do is working destructive...
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #115
MRMJP

I'm officially done making or contributing to feature requests which should make ED and others happy. From now on I will just report the occasional bug report in the pre-release section as needed. I don't have extra time to invest in threads that go nowhere.

The Mastering Specific thread was pretty well received but crickets from the devs and probably some criticism from the die-hards. I was just trying to bring to attention how close REAPER is being to a kick ass mastering DAW but unless you're a hardcore coding nerd (and even then, it's missing stuff), it falls short and requires finishing the job with HOFA, WaveLab etc. if you want to do it right and take mastering seriously.

It seems that the REAPER-heads can't handle constructive feedback and ideas based some of the positives of other DAWs from those who have migrated to REAPER for the greater good but still feel that X or Y was better in a different DAW, and having REAPER add it would add value to it and attract users.

Sexon's playlist script is impressive but there is no way in hell I would wrap any serious projects up in that people are paying me to do. For something that serious, I need native support that I know won't break or would be quickly fixed by the devs if it did break. Nothing against his work, but it's too iffy.

I have tons of scripts for little time saving things but if any of them broke, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I can't imagine what might happen if a playlist script or something more serious went haywire.

I'll just revert to using REAPER for what it's good for, and using other DAWs/apps for what REAPER is bad at or doesn't have and save my time and breath for other things that matter.

Last edited by MRMJP; 03-06-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #116
karbomusic

Default 2 Cents

Meh, I have no problem with Playlists other than the name and how it should be implemented. My biggest issue with playlists feature requests is conflating them with reaper's takes:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=61

I get the conflation since in PT playlists sort of are its takes system (I suppose), but in Reaper, if they were to be added, it needs to be an addition as I stated before and called something like "Track Versions", it's the only way to get traction because they are versions of tracks, otherwise it will make zero sense. If I'm missing something there, apologies as I've only got video demos of PTPLs to go by since I don't want to install it etc.

These threads turn into what they do because almost no one takes the time to understand all those intracies of the three systems: Reaper Takes, Reaper Comps and PT Playlists - it just all gets piled into a single discussion and that's never going anywhere - ever.

^That's not calling out anyone here, it's just the nature of the beast but I do hate so much conflation because it typically shows very few understand how all three of the systems actually work which breeds much of the confusion.

The only other thing I'll add that also confuses things is there are functionalities in PTPLs that Reaper needs (aka MRMJP) but there are other takes related things that are available and better in Reaper but people have habits they don't feel like changing and spray them all over these threads every time, including this one, making everything even more confusing.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #117
analogexplosions

Quote:
I'm officially done making or contributing to feature requests which should make ED and others happy. From now on I will just report the occasional bug report in the pre-release section as needed. I don't have extra time to invest in threads that go nowhere.

The Mastering Specific thread was pretty well received but crickets from the devs and probably some criticism from the die-hards. I was just trying to bring to attention how close REAPER is being to a kick ass mastering DAW but unless you're a hardcore coding nerd (and even then, it's missing stuff), it falls short and requires finishing the job with HOFA, WaveLab etc. if you want to do it right and take mastering seriously.

It seems that the REAPER-heads can't handle constructive feedback and ideas based some of the positives of other DAWs from those who have migrated to REAPER for the greater good but still feel that X or Y was better in a different DAW, and having REAPER add it would add value to it and attract users.

Sexon's playlist script is impressive but there is no way in hell I would wrap any serious projects up in that people are paying me to do. For something that serious, I need native support that I know won't break or would be quickly fixed by the devs if it did break. Nothing against his work, but it's too iffy.

I have tons of scripts for little time saving things but if any of them broke, it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I can't imagine what might happen if a playlist script or something more serious went haywire.

I'll just revert to using REAPER for what it's good for, and using other DAWs/apps for what REAPER is bad at or doesn't have and save my time and breath for other things that matter.

You do you, man!

My only complaint is that people have been making threads for years about hating Reaper's "takes" system. I personally love it, and it helps me in my personal workflow, so I'm invested in keeping that the way it is.

As for an AudioSuite type thing, I don't really need it, but if something like that were added, I doubt it would effect the way I currently work much so I'm all good there. Practically anything I want to "offline" process, I'm doing in RX anyway.

The user-generated scripts are part of what sets Reaper apart from the rest for me as well. I haven't been burned by incorporating any of them into my workflow yet.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #118
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogexplosions View Post
The user-generated scripts are part of what sets Reaper apart from the rest for me as well. I haven't been burned by incorporating any of them into my workflow yet.
Yes but as a professional you dont want to rely on a script (no matter how good it is) as an indispensable part of your workflow. That's why I don't use the playlist script. If it breaks, I get serious problems.

But I'd love to see how you use take system when it comes to non click based music like classical stuff where you first record the whole piece and then different parts multiple times with different starting and ending points. With a playlist feature and editing track groups you could bring all the material to the right position and then do the cut in a new playlist leaving all of the original recordings untouched. In take system you get all these splits...

I'd love to understand in which situation the take system was better than playlists. And if there are situations, why not having both systems...

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 03-07-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #119
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
But I'd love to see how you use take system when it comes to non click based music like classical stuff where you first record the whole piece and then different parts multiple times with different starting and ending points.
That's about the only way I use it and it or the splits have never been an issue for me - I never use grid/click. I've only seen a few instances where splits have been more than a mental block to those having issues. Often from trying to brute force what they are used to onto Reaper; that's a natural thing to do but it isn't going to work.

FWIW, I think I have stressed the take system as much as anyone outside of orchestral projects. Whether that be editing 10 tracks of grouped live drums with multiple takes, to just randomly punching 75 takes for one track with splits everywhere in a 100 track project all recorded with mics etc. People get tired of me saying it but I'll say it again, keep your takes collapsed (CTRL+L) and your takes life will improve greatly.

Here is an example of one track with something like 50 takes, depending on where you are in the track. I'm demonstrating the difference between trying to manage takes collapsed vs expanded.

^See how nice and manageable collapsed is vs the total mess of expanded. There are splits/takes like that all over that 80 track project but they are all collapsed and much easier to work with.

Quote:
I'd love to understand in which situation the take system was better than playlists.
We must stop comparing them directly, that's the problem. Playlists should be an addition as current takes will never, ever be replaced with playlists. You really need to ask for track versioning, I promise. It's also smart to think "how can I get the same end result" instead of "how can I make it work like I'm used to".

I couldn't find the posts but I've seen a number of follow up posts where someone passionately hated Reaper takes, then came back later and stated they now love them, because they took the blinders off and stopped trying to force them into their previous workflows from other DAWs.

This reply's takes reference is not about the OPs original ask, it's about the takes part everyone keeps conflating.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #120
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Yes but as a professional you dont want to rely on a script (no matter how good it is) as an indispensable part of your workflow.
While I do esteem the work I saw from you especially high, I need to state that this statement is perfect nonsense .

A script is just a piece software as any other software and can be of high or low quality. It you use a script (or any software) you did not do yourself, you of course need to make sure that a maintenance plan according to your level of "professionality" (even if payed for in some way) is defined.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote