Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #1
ilovesoca
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 UWP API Integration for BLE MIDI handling from CME XKEY, Korg Microkey Air

Windows 10 UWP API Integration for BLE MIDI handling from CME XKEY, Korg Microkey Air

My BLE MIDI devices don't show up in Reaper's device list, or don't work properly. My CME Xkey air doesn't show up at all, and my Korg MicroKey Air shows up but "isn't found" or there's another error (sorry, I'll have to document it later).

Currently, I use MidiBerry to route the incoming CME XKey Air signal to a virtual Loopmidi port, which is then recognized by Reaper. I use WindsynthBerry

NewBodyFresher's MidiBerry and WindSynthBerry appear to be the only apps that can recognize and route Bluetooth midi signals from my XKey Air. A representative of CME itself said they don't know of any other software that implements Microsoft's UWP API for MIDI properly and they recommend purchasing a special hardware receiver, the WIDI Bud.

For the Korg MicroKey Air, using Korg's BLE driver, other MIDI routing apps like MidiTrix can also route incoming and outgoing signals to a loopMIDI port.

This appears to be the solution, but I don't know if it can be easily integrated into a non-UWP app https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...eo-camera/midi

Last edited by ilovesoca; 11-29-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Additional information
ilovesoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
mschnell

AFAIU, "Bluetooth Midi" in Windows is a totally different subsystem than the "Midi devices" subsystem that all Midi aware Software can connect to. (I forgot the correct name of this "Bluetooth Midi" subsystem (is this "UWP" / "BLE" ? ) but - other than all other Windows device drivers for any type of hardware - it somehow is based on C# that no decent developer who has realtime programming in mind will use. So it's just a queer idea by Microsoft.)

Hence Midi hardware that only provides "Bluetooth Midi" drivers will not (decently) work with software that does not come bundled with same.

Some time ago there have been some threads in these forums on "Bluetooth Midi" (I seem to remember that "WIDI" was mentioned there, as well) and I seem to remember that there is some (free) software that creates a standard Midi driver from "Bluetooth Midi" devices but I don't know the name nor where to find it.

Apart from this, Bluetooth might not be realtime aware enough to use "Bluetooth Midi" for Live performing.

See
-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=194579
-> http://newbodyfresher.linclip.com/ (see Viedo)
-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mi...ot:overviewtab

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-30-2019 at 04:45 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #3
ilovesoca

Thank you for the reply! I forgot to turn notifications on so I just noticed it now.

I ended up purchasing the dedicated USB receiver, a "WIDIbud" for my CME. The WIDI Bud promises to minimize latency below what the built in bluetooth radio and drivers can provide and it does appear to lower latency to a level barely distinguishable from wired, which is great. It costs 75 CAD which is too expensive for me to pair with my three wireless keyboards and one Yamaha UD-BT01, so I think I will just stick with the single WIDIbud for now.

It's interesting what you say about the differences between types of drivers in Windows, because CME (XKey Air) and Korg (Microkey Air) provide different solutions. CME's driver must be purely "Bluetooth MIDI", while Korg provides a driver which is sometimes recognized by Reaper but does not work consistently. In both cases, NewBodyFresher's MIDIBerry + Tobias Erikson's LoopMIDI is an acceptable (if slightly annoying) solution, and the WIDIbud is best, but expensive (the CME WIDIbud can connect with other bluetooth MIDI devices, including the KORG Microkey Air, but pairing with new devices when changing keyboards is also a little annoying).

The thread you linked is also quite interesting and surprisingly heated for a niche topic like this!

I have to say I don't fully understand why NewBodyFresher can implement a MIDI router that detects "Bluetooth MIDI" but Reaper cannot - but I guess it has something to do with C# and UWP.

Thanks again, Michael.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
Nana

The Korg BLE-MIDI driver is actually usable for any BLE-MIDI device that can be paired in Windows via a standard BLE dongle.
This establishes standard MIDI ports usable by any software.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/down.../0/530/#driver

After installing the driver package just install it manually to a coupled device via device manager, if MIDI ports do not show up automatically.
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
mschnell

They state:
Quote:
The proprietary KORG BLE-MIDI Driver now allows fast and simple wireless connection between your Windows PC and KORG Bluetooth enabled keyboard (such as the nanoSTUDIO series and microKEY Air).
Any idea what exactly "KORG Bluetooth" is supposed to mean ?
-Michael
Old 03-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Nana

Never knew something like "KORG Bluetooth" exists.
There is Bluetooth.
The KORG BLE-MIDI Driver1.12 r42019.07.05 does not destinguish between Korg and non-Korg devices. It just works, if the device is BLE MIDI and can be paired to the Windows PC. So what?
Old 03-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
mschnell

Seems GREAT !

Is there any small device converting Midi over USB from some device to BLE Midi ? I would LOVE to attach my TEC Breath Controller in a wireless way !

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-05-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
cjunekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Never knew something like "KORG Bluetooth" exists.
There is Bluetooth.
The KORG BLE-MIDI Driver1.12 r42019.07.05 does not destinguish between Korg and non-Korg devices. It just works, if the device is BLE MIDI and can be paired to the Windows PC. So what?
How did you manage to make the device use KORG BLE-MIDI driver from the device manager?

I went to the device manager, Bluetooth category and there was the device(in my case cme xkey air). I went to the properties window and went to update driver. But after directing it to use the korg ble midi driver folder and reports to me that optimal driver is already installed(windows default ble driver) and it doesn't let me use the korg driver.

Last edited by cjunekim; 04-13-2020 at 11:17 PM.
cjunekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Stitchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjunekim View Post
How did you manage to make the device use KORG BLE-MIDI driver from the device manager?

I went to the device manager, Bluetooth category and there was the device(in my case cme xkey air). I went to the properties window and went to update driver. But after directing it to use the korg ble midi driver folder and reports to me that optimal driver is already installed(windows default ble driver) and it doesn't let me use the korg driver.
Have you managed to make this work?
Stitchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #10
nolman

any updates or ideas on this ?

I'm trying to create a midi pedal from a arduino nano iot and connect to win10 through BLE (advertising as midi device).
Can connect to ios and android without problem.
Windows 10 is seeing the ble but can't connect.

The korg ble driver doesn't seem to help in anyway.

Greetings.
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
ilovesoca

Nolman, have you tried midiberry + loopmidi?

I don't know of any other pure software driver updates, but CME is now offering more hardware, such as the WIDI Master, that can send and receive BLE Midi.

If Widimaster is a receiver, it will translate to regular wired Midi and send that along, though a MIDI DIN port. But connected directy to a controller as a sender, it appears CME WIDI Master still needs a unique driver on windows, which is sold separately:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/p/mi...t:overviewtab#

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master-...it-do-for-you/
Old 12-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
nolman

Thanks for the reply,

Tried midiberry, good tip but not working.

I'm switching to a "nano 33 BLE" that has bluetooth and BLE and will try if that will work on windows.
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolman View Post
Tried midiberry, good tip but not working.
I'm switching to a "nano 33 BLE" that has bluetooth and BLE and will try if that will work on windows.
Supposedly the problem is not the hardware, but the Midi protocol embedded in the BLE protocol. Here Microsoft uses their on propriety protocol, that is perfectly incompatible with normal Windows Midi devices.

The "KORG BLE-MIDI Driver1.12" is supposed to convert this to a Midi Device Reaper can see.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-23-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #14
Nana

Sorry for the late reply. I lost my Laptop in a fire and have right now found a backup of my forum password on a long abandoned Vaio P.

The Korg BLE MIDI driver has to be installed before pairing the device. It is needed to make Windows 10 pair with any BLE MIDI device using the system Bluetooth control panel. As soon as pairing is complete, the driver is loaded automatically and the device shows up in the MIDI devices list under it's own name.

If the driver has not been installed before the first pairing of the device, the driver will not be loaded. The only way to make it work is to unpair the device first, then delete all traces of it in the device manager, invisible and nonpresent devices, too. Then install the Korg BLE MIDI driver and then pair the device again.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
Stitchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I lost my Laptop in a fire and have right now found a backup of my forum password on a long abandoned Vaio P.

The Korg BLE MIDI driver has to be installed before pairing the device. It is needed to make Windows 10 pair with any BLE MIDI device using the system Bluetooth control panel. As soon as pairing is complete, the driver is loaded automatically and the device shows up in the MIDI devices list under it's own name.

If the driver has not been installed before the first pairing of the device, the driver will not be loaded. The only way to make it work is to unpair the device first, then delete all traces of it in the device manager, invisible and nonpresent devices, too. Then install the Korg BLE MIDI driver and then pair the device again.
I've just received a CME WIDI Master, and it is working surprisingly well with Windows 10. I'm using loopMIDI and MIDIberry for it to connect to Reaper. It would be much better to use the Korg driver, but I couldn't manage to force windows to the use the Korg driver instead of the default microsoft drivers.

As you wrote, it is possible to do this, as long as you "delete all traces of it in the device manager, invisible and nonpresent devices, too". Can you elaborate a bit on this?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2021, 04:44 AM   #16
schoko

@stitchz

I also had a little bit of troubles getting the widi master pro to work here. To get it working it is important to remove the korg driver, restart, and then install the driver before pairing.
Unfortunatly it would be really nice if this would also work on linux.

https://mclarenlabs.com/blog/2019/01...-raspberry-pi/

https://mclarenlabs.com/blog/2020/03...i4-and-buster/

Has anyone tried to get the widi master pro running on linux ?

Thanks
schoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:28 AM   #17
Stitchz

@schoko

Nowadays the widi master runs well on windows 10 without the korg driver. Let me know if you have difficulties getting it to run. There's a video on youtube by CME on that.

I also have the widi master running on linux, using BlueZ (http://www.bluez.org/). The most recent versions don't work for some reason. I can check if you are interested. It does have some random/infrequent note loss. So I've been running windows.