Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
mozart999uk
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne losing edits after gluing then undo

To recreate/

Insert melodyne as an effect on an audio item.

Make adjustments to blobs in melodyne.

Glue track to consolidate edits.

Undo glue action.

Melodyne has forgotten previous adjustments.

Not sure if this is a reaper or melodyne issue but just tested in Cubase and it's fine......(about the only thing that is fine in Cubase ;-))

Reaper 6.13, windows 10, melodyne editor 4.2.4.001

Last edited by mozart999uk; 09-08-2020 at 08:44 AM. Reason: thought of something else
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
K8inLA

Default Same issue

I have all kinds of issues with Melodyne in Reaper, but I don't have any history using it in another DAW for comparison. In addition to edits being gone with undoing gluing a clip, slicing or trimming a clip with Melodyne on it also undoes all my edits.

K8
K8inLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8inLA View Post
I have all kinds of issues with Melodyne in Reaper, but I don't have any history using it in another DAW for comparison. In addition to edits being gone with undoing gluing a clip, slicing or trimming a clip with Melodyne on it also undoes all my edits.

K8
Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried any slicing or trimming.

I know this happened early on in ara integration in Cubase but they ironed it out....more or less :-)
Old 09-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
Joe90

[QUOTE=mozart999uk;2342951]Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried any slicing or trimming.

I know this happened early on in ara integration in Cubase but they ironed it out....more or less :-)[/QUOTE

I've used melodyne in Cubase and S1 as well as Reaper, and it does do the same thing in those DAW's. If you glue/bounce/render the melodyne'd file destructively into a new file, then undo, the audio will be reanalyzed and all melodyne edits will be lost. The key is that it has to be a destructive edit (i.e it generated a new file).

I know because I considered this a bug too, and went back to double check.

I actually think Reaper's ARA integration is one of the best in class now. I have a custom action that applies melodyne as item FX to all selected items, then opens them all in one editor in the FX chain, which then docks itself at the bottom half of the screen and zooms into the selected files, so the melodyne 'blobs' line up with the media item I'm editing. It feels very smoothly integrated.

I also love that Reaper lets me bounce the melodyned file to a new take with the same audio file, keeping the original take with the live melodyne edits as a backup on a previous take, as if I decide I need to edit something, I can still flip back to the original melodyne edit and tweak it, even if it's been cut/copied/nudged it's still always there.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
mozart999uk

[QUOTE=Joe90;2345019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Thanks for your reply. I haven't tried any slicing or trimming.

I know this happened early on in ara integration in Cubase but they ironed it out....more or less :-)[/QUOTE

I've used melodyne in Cubase and S1 as well as Reaper, and it does do the same thing in those DAW's. If you glue/bounce/render the melodyne'd file destructively into a new file, then undo, the audio will be reanalyzed and all melodyne edits will be lost. The key is that it has to be a destructive edit (i.e it generated a new file).

I know because I considered this a bug too, and went back to double check.

I actually think Reaper's ARA integration is one of the best in class now.
Ah ok....must have missed tthat in Cubase. Didn't think it did that in 10.5.

I would describe the ARA integration in reaper as the best of a bad bunch :-)
Old 09-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #6
panicaftermath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
If you glue/bounce/render the melodyne'd file destructively into a new file, then undo, the audio will be reanalyzed and all melodyne edits will be lost. The key is that it has to be a destructive edit (i.e it generated a new file).
That's also been my experience with melodyne studio 4.2.4 when using ARA. I also asked about it here https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...07&postcount=2

Gluing with melodyne as a take fx will terminate the instance of melodyne. When that is undone, melodyne returns. But while the glued item or items revert to their original state, it seems that melodyne generates a whole new instance, without any awareness of the previous analysis, and first thing it does is analyze the same audio that the previous instance did.

Applying the edits as a new take avoids that particular trap. But it sometimes seems to introduce others. I mostly use it as a track fx (not in the item itself) and there ARA seems to be able to survive undos and other changes to the item like changing the active take and when I test it it seems to work as I'd expect or want it to. In actual work, it sometimes seems like ARA's awareness of the underlying item leads to reanalyze the audio in way that can lead to losing earlier edits.

Still getting used to it and the ARA workflow. But there is something very straightforward about the old transfer method where once the audio is in melodyne it's there and it doesn't care about the underlying item. With ARA the survival of edits seems to depend too much on the stability of its source item. Seems more fragile to me. For now at least I've definitely spent more time redoing edits in ARA than it would have taken to just transfer the section I wanted to work with.

An amazing tool though even with glitches and issues.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:16 AM   #7
mozart999uk

Thanks for your reply. Yes. I think I might return to the old transfer way until the kinks are ironed out :-)
Old 12-02-2023, 02:18 PM   #8
hhemiway

Still having the same issue with Reaper 7.05
hhemiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM   #9
mozart999uk

Oh really? That's a shame.