Old 10-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
Kevvie Metal
Human being with feelings

Default Recorded with Reaper: When Will It Rain?

I got sick of simply whining about the weather here in Southern California and decided to be productive. Recorded in Reaper. Vocals thru an AKG 214 into a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 1st gen. Guitar is a Vox SC33, baritone is a PRS Mike Mushok SE, bass is a Kala U-Bass -- all direct into the Focusrite. Drums are Steven Slate SSD5.5. Keyboards are by my long time bandmate (since 1981) David Fleminger. I'm not completely sure what he used, but he absolutely nailed what I was looking for, and it's the result that matters.

All amps are IK Multimedia Amplitube. In fact, with the sole exception of Waves Tune, all the FX are IK Multimedia, including the relatively new Sunset Sound Reverb which I totally love. The mix was then put through Lurssen Mastering Console. I would have simply run that on the master track, but doesn't like that on my system and refuses to playback smoothly.

While I consider the mix to be final, I'm certainly open to any thoughts on the mix and the song in general. I was looking to make something that would build and build. I think I at least got that right.

The video itself is simply a screen recording of the song playing in Reaper!

https://youtu.be/ZXR-VQZBea8
Kevvie Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
enroe

Hi Kevin,

yes the title fits to the time and to the requirements in california.
I hear a well done easy listening guitar song.

In the mix I would like the guitars fatter and the vocals more
to the front. Otherwise: Nice composition, the "bring down the rain"
stays in the ear.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
zeekat

This is all around fantastic sounding (if a bit abstract, considering the rain outside my window), great production and performances(vocals!).

So this is how bass ukululele can sound like? Nice.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
barrymk

Nice fat sound, perhaps a touch of middle/low end on the vocal for me, nothing more. You can have some of our rain, I'll have it sent over.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
superblonde.org

nice intro, slow build.

guitar sounds great.

great to hear this has a kala ubass, been looking at those for a while, sounds great here.

the vocal seems to have some.. unpleasant breath noise.

shaker sounds great. it might be a little bit too loud (like 2-3 dB)

guitar rhythm track sounds like a looper, or a loop, which is annoying. if it's a looper play the whole thing thru.. or is it quantized somehow? there's no feel.

guitar leads (i mean the repeating lick not the solo) are good but not sure about the lead tone. I think the tone could be better.

the solo sounds very good. i like the pan of the shakers during the solo - but they get a bit loud and should def be lowered. (i'm listening on headphones) maybe the solo could be panned more right.

i agree the keys and note choices are great.

good ending, fade out like start.

maybe the drums could be a tiny bit more wet because the guitar is lush but the drums are dry. not a big cowbell fan so maybe block could be better.

in the peak part, maybe drum ride could be used in addition to shaker. or play the ride like raindrops in phrases.

overall very good track.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Kevvie Metal

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the feedback and agree with a lot of the points. It still hasn't rained here, so if anyone wants to send some over, it will be welcome.

FWIW, the guitar isn't looped, though I did cut and paste a few passages where I felt I was too far out of the pocket.

I do agree about the shaker, but every time I pulled it back it simply got lost, no matter how I EQ'd it. (Plus, I'd been listening to the 2nd and 3rd Black Crowes albums a lot, and the percussion on those tracks is totally in your face, so that certainly had an effect on me when I was mixing.) When the solo comes in, there's tambourine added, panned across from the shaker.

I'm not totally happy with that chorus guitar riff tone, either.

Funny about the cowbell, though. I love cowbell and had to fight myself to keep it down in the mix! I fully agree about the drums being a touch more wet.

Again, thanks to all. These are great pointers.
Kevvie Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
barrymk

Note to all record proucers: More Cowbell
Old 10-29-2020, 12:34 AM   #8
BCF1

You mentioned the intent for the song was "to build and build" through til the end, ok great. I personally didn't feel it happen. I wanted to. I anticipated it, I was all ears waiting for it..... and it never came. Damn cryin shame. I was envisioning maybe the vocal going up an octave to relay the emotion on the refrain lines. Next I thought the guitar solo was really going to bring this baby home smoking. Ok so it must start cooking in the outro....tempo bump maybe, vox, nope. A bit anti climatic for me. But my personal bullshit aside, it is a really decent song. Can't comment on production as I'm listening on my phone. Over all a nice ride. Good work !!
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
kindafishy

Cool tune. I got a Roger Daltrey vibe from your vocals.

Agree with most of the points here... except the cowbell. Needs more.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote