Old 10-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
tjw1979
Human being with feelings

Default Heart and Soul

Listen to Heart and Soul by T J WILLIAMS on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/tuskzilla/hea...pboard&p=a&c=1

Hello all i would appreciate some feedback from a recent song i performed recorded and mixed.

It's been a long time since I've written and recorded anything so I'm glad to be back.

Thanks all

Tim
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
kindafishy

This is conjuring up images of walking down a busy city street or waiting on a subway platform in 'freer times' and hearing someone busking away, singing their heart out. I'd stop and listen, then throw a buck or two in your case man .

I enjoyed this. In particular, I found the vocal melodies catchy and the lyrics were fun to listen to.

Interesting choice to go with a single mono guitar and double tracked vocals. It's kind of the opposite of what one would expect to hear, and I liked that.

Dug it. Glad I came across this today.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
tjw1979

Thank you so much for taking time to listen.

Your positive comments have certainly warmed my soul during this troubled time we are all going through.

I guess the song is about me and wanting to be a better person even though we all come against tough times. Been a rough few years but I'm finding my inner song again.

In terms of mono or stereo mic techniques I haven't really got a clue what to do. I always just tend to try record my guitar track in one take and then just sing my bit as best as possible.

I would love to hear of alternate ideas and techniques for tracking my acoustic in stereo, but i always just seem to get the energy right with just one track.

I would go so far to say this mix is definitely not finished, i just got a little excited and wanted to post something to the community.

I need to make the doubled vocals less chorusy (eq 1 different??)

Again thank you so much for listening.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
asharin

Your voice reminds me a little of Ozzy Osbourne, only a little less high piched, sounds great!
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharin View Post
Your voice reminds me a little of Ozzy Osbourne, only a little less high piched, sounds great!
Do you know what I'm pretty sure i thought that myself haha

I'm from South Wales also - Pontypridd
Old 10-20-2020, 04:21 AM   #6
barrymk

It's an interesting start soundwise and would benefit from drums and bass, in my opinion, certainly worth developing the song. You do seem to be stretching for notes though. I would recommend you think about a more comfortable key to sing in. Finding the right vocal key has always been paramount for me due to my own vocal range limitations. The end result will always be better if your throat is comfortable and not struggling. Definitely keep at it. Cheers
Old 10-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #7
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
It's an interesting start soundwise and would benefit from drums and bass, in my opinion, certainly worth developing the song. You do seem to be stretching for notes though. I would recommend you think about a more comfortable key to sing in. Finding the right vocal key has always been paramount for me due to my own vocal range limitations. The end result will always be better if your throat is comfortable and not struggling. Definitely keep at it. Cheers

Thanks for listening and the feedback Barry, yes you are right about fhe full band element. I've got a bunch of tracks recorded in this way and an ex guitarist from an old band added some parts to one which made it come to life.

Definitely agree about altering keys to suit my voice better. I was at the top of my scale when recording and it took a few takes to get it where it sits now. Weirdly i can sing it super easy other than when that red button is pressed �� Going to bare this in mind whem writing future material.

Once again thank you for taking the time to listen and post.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:06 AM   #8
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw1979 View Post
Weirdly i can sing it super easy other than when that red button is pressed �� t.
Ah the dreaded red button. The only cure for this is a large slug of alcohol then sing the damn song through so many times it becomes auto pilot. Works for me. Nothing like a large G&T when I'm playing my G&L!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:21 AM   #9
tjw1979

Quote:
Ah the dreaded red button. The only cure for this is a large slug of alcohol then sing the damn song through so many times it becomes auto pilot. Works for me. Nothing like a large G&T when I'm playing my G&L!

Good shout, that. It's amazing what a touch of alcohol can do when writing as well, like you say it definitely seems to open things up.

As i have a little toddler in the house that is my biggest challenge at the mo haha. Trying to find 'that' afternoon to record. Frustratingly I'm bursting with ideas but lacking in the time to get working.

Plus my electric guy is only up the road and we are both dying to get to work, but with the covid lockdown it's going to be a while.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #10
barrymk

Give the toddler a cabasa or pair of maraccas and you have a free rhythm section.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #11
tjw1979

Quote:
Give the toddler a cabasa or pair of maraccas and you have a free rhythm section.

Haha classic. She does exibit some bad timing issues particularly around the time I desperately need a lie in (what are they?) and she comes in early everytime "Daaaaaaad..." haha
Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #12
barrymk

Bad timing? She's going to be a drummer then.... (Bass player joke for the uninitiated)
Make the best of these years they go so fast, my two granddaughters are almost grown up at 8 and 4!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
tjw1979

Absolutely man. She's advancing at a terrific rate.

Best thing ever being a dad. Hoping to impart the love for music onto her and pass on that baton
Old 10-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
barrymk

Wait till you get to be a grandpa, that's an even better job, believe me. All the fun, no responsibility. My 8 year old said to me the other day "I know you're old(ouch)and you're going to die one day Grandpa and I'll be sad because I shall want you to be silly...."

If I was going to have a gravestone (nah) ashes in the sea at Winspit, Dorset,that would go on it.

Thankfully that's the only mortality conversation we've had, now we just get on with having fun and it doesn't get any better then that.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #15
pbattersby

Quote:
I would love to hear of alternate ideas and techniques for tracking my acoustic in stereo
A simple technique is to record the acoustic guitar twice. Pan 1 version left the other right. Since the two performances will not be identical, it can give a nice wide stereo effect. Perhaps use a single centered guitar track for the verses and then use the panned left and panned right tracks for each chorus. The same trick can be used for vocals.

Quote:
I need to make the doubled vocals less chorusy (eq 1 different??)
If you double tracked the vocals, that's why they are chorusy. I'd suggest reserving the use of double tracked vocals until you want them to sound more chorusy, like in the chorus.

Quote:
Weirdly i can sing it super easy other than when that red button is pressed
One way to get around that problem is to record a single verse or chorus at a time in loop mode. Sing the same thing without stopping, while recording, 5 or 6 times in a row. The first take will still likely be subjected to the red button problem but the pressure is off when you know you will be recording it a few times in a row and you know that any mistakes in a particular take, don't matter. Then, you just keep the best version and delete the rest. No pressure.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
juan_r

I find it good. The straining of the voice isn't a problem for me: in this piece, it adds tension and a hint of... hmmm... say, earnest rage for lack of better words.

I've listened to a few snippets of your other songs, and your singing has improved significantly. As @barrymk said, definitely keep at it. You never know where the ceiling is until you look for it.

The bareness of the arrangement doesn't annoy me, either, which is unusual. The whole thing sounds a little retro, kind of Eddie Kramerish, in a good way. Well done!
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #17
StrumminSteve

I dug it. Str8 forward... would b cool to hear it in a band context.. but its to the point and worthy as is. Maybe not my fav vocal fx..but its your thing.. and its all good..😉. Thx 4 sharing
StrumminSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #18
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
A simple technique is to record the acoustic guitar twice. Pan 1 version left the other right. Since the two performances will not be identical, it can give a nice wide stereo effect. Perhaps use a single centered guitar track for the verses and then use the panned left and panned right tracks for each chorus. The same trick can be used for vocals.

If you double tracked the vocals, that's why they are chorusy. I'd suggest reserving the use of double tracked vocals until you want them to sound more chorusy, like in the chorus.

One way to get around that problem is to record a single verse or chorus at a time in loop mode. Sing the same thing without stopping, while recording, 5 or 6 times in a row. The first take will still likely be subjected to the red button problem but the pressure is off when you know you will be recording it a few times in a row and you know that any mistakes in a particular take, don't matter. Then, you just keep the best version and delete the rest. No pressure.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

I've managed to acquire a second microphone stand, having said that is there any benefit of recording two mics to a stereo track in my case (which I've never done) or is the double tracked at different times guitars more suitable? Or perhaps a combination of everything to add further depth, control and flavour?

I know there are a multiverse of variables and i guess the 2 mic stereo technique is used to develop a sense of depth to the stereo field . I know this introduces phase issues which can be a good or bad thing depending on final outcome of sound.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #19
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I find it good. The straining of the voice isn't a problem for me: in this piece, it adds tension and a hint of... hmmm... say, earnest rage for lack of better words.

I've listened to a few snippets of your other songs, and your singing has improved significantly. As @barrymk said, definitely keep at it. You never know where the ceiling is until you look for it.

The bareness of the arrangement doesn't annoy me, either, which is unusual. The whole thing sounds a little retro, kind of Eddie Kramerish, in a good way. Well done!

Thankyou so much for listening and the feedback. You are right in saying there is an element of rage in the delivery of the verses but i wanted to add some tenderness in there so the chorus highlights wanting to overcome the darkness and trying to aim to find a better place.

Thanks once again really appreciate the time you took to listen and reply.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:26 AM   #20
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumminSteve View Post
I dug it. Str8 forward... would b cool to hear it in a band context.. but its to the point and worthy as is. Maybe not my fav vocal fx..but its your thing.. and its all good..😉. Thx 4 sharing

Absolute gent. Thankyou.

The vocal fx was just the first thing i did to begin the evolving nature of these sketches/songs. It will no doubt change as everything usually does 😁

Thankyou for taking the time to listen and reply.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #21
pbattersby

Quote:
is there any benefit of recording two mics to a stereo track in my case (which I've never done) or is the double tracked at different times guitars more suitable? Or perhaps a combination of everything to add further depth, control and flavour?
Interesting question. It never occurred to me to record a single guitar in stereo. All I can suggest is try it and do what sounds good.

Note that it's also possible to take a single rhythm guitar track and by creative copy and paste, (copy chorus 2, paste along side chorus 1, pan left and right, also copy chorus 1 and paste along side chorus 2) and get the same double tracked guitar sound as if the guitar had been performed twice. I've done that when collaborating with others and I want a wide stereo guitar sound but only have a single performance.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #22
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
Interesting question. It never occurred to me to record a single guitar in stereo. All I can suggest is try it and do what sounds good.

Note that it's also possible to take a single rhythm guitar track and by creative copy and paste, (copy chorus 2, paste along side chorus 1, pan left and right, also copy chorus 1 and paste along side chorus 2) and get the same double tracked guitar sound as if the guitar had been performed twice. I've done that when collaborating with others and I want a wide stereo guitar sound but only have a single performance.
Tried some of this on a new song today.

I'd tracked a guitar yesterday with a mic and took a d.i.running through my cali76tx compressor.

I double tracked the guitar today with a slightly different mic.

In the mix i centre panned the DI and high passed it quite a bit so as to only provide detail.

I panned the mic'd guitars 60% each way and all in all it's a decent sound.

Giving my ears a break now but i am going to do vocals tomorrow and really focus on a tight take with occasional doubles and the odd harmony etc.

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #23
StrumminSteve

Look forward to hearing it if decide to share...😉
StrumminSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
tjw1979

I will definitely be sharing it. Though with this new song, there is some electric accompaniment from a friend we've hashed out over email which i need to record. I was suprised how much life his part blew into it so i need him over here to track it, when covid hopefully does a 180 and slithers off into the mire. Wishful thinking...

Here's to all reaperites making the most out of a globally difficult time.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #25
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Listen to Heart and Soul by T J WILLIAMS on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/tuskzilla/hea...pboard&p=a&c=1

Hello all i would appreciate some feedback from a recent song i performed recorded and mixed.

It's been a long time since I've written and recorded anything so I'm glad to be back.

Thanks all

Tim
The song itself is like known Pop Candy. Good Pop Candy.

Guitar lacks fullness; no bottom

I was expecting after the intro... BOOM = the bottom kicks in; bass starts, then drums, then ...

But... nothing; the song remained in the mid-high all the time. No surprises.

If this makes you happy? OK.

I guess this song can be seen as a product akin to cheap laptop speakers, for all, no matter their setup.

Question: Was this the intent?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #26
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
The song itself is like known Pop Candy. Good Pop Candy.

Guitar lacks fullness; no bottom

I was expecting after the intro... BOOM = the bottom kicks in; bass starts, then drums, then ...

But... nothing; the song remained in the mid-high all the time. No surprises.

If this makes you happy? OK.

I guess this song can be seen as a product akin to cheap laptop speakers, for all, no matter their setup.

Question: Was this the intent?
Hey man thanks for listening. I appreciate it.

The song is just a sketch nothing finished or set in stone.

It is simply an extension of how I've been feeling recently and dipping my toes back into reaper after years away from recording anything.

With regards to your question, I'm not sure what you mean exactly - there was no intent other than to express how i was feeing with wide brush strokes. I know the song is basic etc but that's all i needed to say how i was feeling. It is simply a moment in time captured.

As im using entry level monitors i am careful with the lows and probably fall into the over careful category on that basis.

Thanks for listening and the feedback though 👍
Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #27
AliceinReigns

I'm new here. Listened to the song. I like it. Similar to the stuff I make amd very Neil Young. i really like the lyrics. What's it about? A break up?
AliceinReigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #28
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceinReigns View Post
I'm new here. Listened to the song. I like it. Similar to the stuff I make amd very Neil Young. i really like the lyrics. What's it about? A break up?
Hey thanks a lot for checking it out.

I am definitely a neil young fan so there's likely a hint in the song. I'm a 90s guy at heart I guess.

I think the song was likely about holding on to your sanity, or the vulnerability of being human and wanting to be a better person.

To be honest the words came out om the spot with the song and i recorded it then and there. The production is sparse but i guess i liked it that way. Broad strokes to it.

I have written and 80% recorded another song which i am really excited about.

Post some of your music!! Be nice to have a listen, friend.

Cheers

Tim
Old 10-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #29
asharin

Quote:
Do you know what I'm pretty sure i thought that myself haha

I'm from South Wales also - Pontypridd
Holy Crap, just down the A470...Perthcelyn nr Mountain Ash here lol
asharin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #30
6xes
Banned

Hi, i took the time to listen to your song...
i liked the distinct Ozzy sounding voice...as ive listened to alot of ozzy,
funnily enough, the lyrics and theme of the song are reminiscent of Ozzy too..

in the lyrics i hear acceptance of all that is beautiful in that which remains..

that which remains of course is the subject of interpretation, depending on an individual whether author(you) or the listener(me)

this is what drew me to listening to Ozzy... the thoughts or questions of what the author was implying... in a lot of ways reveals insight into the person...

afterall the words let out from within are from the tree within.. so to speak

anyway nice song!!

Edit: i read over this thread, and couldnt help myself taking a careful look at your responses... i do weird things like this.. psyko-analyse things lol..
but is the song a reference to your daughter??

Last edited by 6xes; 10-31-2020 at 10:15 PM.
6xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:16 AM   #31
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharin View Post
Holy Crap, just down the A470...Perthcelyn nr Mountain Ash here lol

Rad man that's awesome. Just up the road 🙏

I'm in Hawthorn now having moved houses recently but formerly lived in Trallwn all my life.

Finally got space to record so I'll hopefully be posting a lot more tracks here as and when
Old 11-01-2020, 03:25 AM   #32
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xes View Post
Hi, i took the time to listen to your song...
i liked the distinct Ozzy sounding voice...as ive listened to alot of ozzy,
funnily enough, the lyrics and theme of the song are reminiscent of Ozzy too..

in the lyrics i hear acceptance of all that is beautiful in that which remains..

that which remains of course is the subject of interpretation, depending on an individual whether author(you) or the listener(me)

this is what drew me to listening to Ozzy... the thoughts or questions of what the author was implying... in a lot of ways reveals insight into the person...

afterall the words let out from within are from the tree within.. so to speak

anyway nice song!!

Edit: i read over this thread, and couldnt help myself taking a careful look at your responses... i do weird things like this.. psyko-analyse things lol..
but is the song a reference to your daughter??
I'd say you are pretty spot on with your interpretation.
It is definitely as you say earlier in your description, and nothing to do with my daughter.

However as a young child of age 11 or so my only sister died tragically so there may be reflections of that experience bottled up in there. With that word in mind i am really looking forward to posting my new song 'reflections'.

I was supposed to be tracking accompanying electric guitar yesterday but the guy playing it couldn't get over so it will likely be next weekend now.

Thankyou so much for listening.

🙏🙏
Old 11-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #33
toleolu

I was going to ask how much Ozzie charged you to do the vocals, but that's already been beat to death.

Very cool, I really enjoyed it.

Reading through the other posts and your replies, I started thinking about The Offspring's "Kristy are you doing OK".

Maybe your Martin and my Taylor can get together for a play date someday.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #34
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I was going to ask how much Ozzie charged you to do the vocals, but that's already been beat to death.

Very cool, I really enjoyed it.

Reading through the other posts and your replies, I started thinking about The Offspring's "Kristy are you doing OK".

Maybe your Martin and my Taylor can get together for a play date someday.

Haha, class 👌

Can't fault a bit of the offspring, saw them on the smash tour in Reading 95 or 96.

Thanks for listening man and yeah always up for collabs especially during lockdown 👍
Old 11-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #35
toleolu

Quote:
Can't fault a bit of the offspring, saw them on the smash tour in Reading 95 or 96.
Reading Pa.?

My family's all old coal crackers from the Pottsville area.

Lived just up the road from the Yuengling brewery in the 60's when my Dad did a year in Viet Nam.

Love that Yuengling Lager.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #36
tjw1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Reading Pa.?

My family's all old coal crackers from the Pottsville area.

Lived just up the road from the Yuengling brewery in the 60's when my Dad did a year in Viet Nam.

Love that Yuengling Lager.
No, my apologies, I should of said Reading Festival, here in the UK.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #37
toleolu

My bad, you did mention in an earlier post about being from South Wales.

Old age and arthritis meds taking their toll on my short term memory.

Well, for what it's worth, my Mothers side of the family is from Wales, just not sure where.

Got a few things going on with BarryMK right now, but would definitely like to work together on something down the road.

Stay safe.