Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
NadaBoy
Human being with feelings

Default Need Help - Windows 10 / M-Audio

Hello,

I have been using Reaper for some time now, and recently have purchased a new computer that uses Windows 10. I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. M-Audio had been sold and split up between Avid and some other company, and I found this recently on the Avid website. (See Below)(But there's more after so keep reading)

Windows Releases (click on a version # to download that installer)
Jan 19. 2016
This is the final driver release for the Fast Track Pro
Qualified with Windows 7, 8, 8.1
Note that Windows 10 (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified
Fixed noise or pops/clicks when streaming with Fast Track Pro's S/PDIF output enabled

I am using my pair of Rokit 5s, via the M-Audio, for my output speakers on my computer. I am using them to watch movies, youtube, etc,... So obviously this means that the device is somewhat compatible. I simply change my playback device on my computer's sound option to play back via the Fast Track Pro.

I am having problems Reaper picking up my Fast Track Pro as both and Input and Output device. It has the ability to do both, but not at the same time...

While using reaper, I notice I have different results when using Preferences>Device.

When I use the "Wave Out" audio system, my input options on the dropdown menu are limited to "Microsoft Sound Mapper" and "Microphone Array (Realtek)". No Fast Track Pro option. On my output however I do have the option of "Analog Connector (2-Fast Track)". Ok, so I know, even while using Windows 10 and Reaper, that my M-Audio Fast Track Pro is able to be picked up.
Keep reading though...

When I change my Audio system to "WDM Kernel Streaming (Windows XP)", still in the Prefernces>Device menu, I am able to see my M-Audio Fast Track Pro as an input, and it works! (I do a test record, and get a wave on my track.) The Input drop menu includes, and is limited to:"Fast Track Pro". So on both input and output drop menus (While in this particular audio system), I can ONLY choose "Fast Track Pro". However, when I attempt to play back what I just recorded, I get nothing. No sound.

Although, as I mentioned earlier when I have the Audio System set to "Wave Out", I have the output option of "Analog Connector (2-Fast Track). So after recording a test on the "WDM" mode (which is the only that picks up Fast Track as an input), I switch back to "Wave Out". I am able to play back what I just recorded. (Input=Microsoft Sound Mapper / Output = Analog Connector (2-Fast Track). But, this would make it impossible for me to listen and record at the same time.

So my point is, although I have found out that the Fast Track Pro is technically not made for Windows 10, I have seen clear evidence that it does have the ability to work.

I am looking for potential remedies to this problem. I have considered running an emulator or virtual machine (not to educated on it) of an older operating system. Maybe there are a few other things that I am missing. It's insane though, the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is a nice device and not very old. Seems totally bologna to my that I should encounter this problem.
NadaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
solger

If you haven't already, try using Audio System: WASAPI (instead of WDM or Waveout). In this case also check if the FT Pro is enabled as Playback/Recording device in the Windows Sound Settings: https://oxen.tech/blog/using-sounds-...control-panel/

Otherwise you might try using ASIO4ALL (instead of the FT Pro ASIO driver): https://www.image-line.com/support/f...s_asio4all.htm

Or try installing the FT Pro ASIO driver in a (Windows 7/8/...) compatibility mode:
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
NadaBoy

Default Thank you for your reply!

So I have tried the WASAPI input mode as well. I had the same problem where it will recognize the Fast Track as an output but not an input.

I also do not have any ASIO drivers installed.

My only question remaining is simply if there is any necessary file moving when installing the ASIO drivers. Do I simply download? Will they automatically be put in the right place so that Reaper will identify that I have them installed? Or is there anything that I need to do, like make sure they are in the right folder?

Again thank you for your reply.
NadaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadaBoy View Post
My only question remaining is simply if there is any necessary file moving when installing the ASIO drivers. Do I simply download? Will they automatically be put in the right place so that Reaper will identify that I have them installed? Or is there anything that I need to do, like make sure they are in the right folder?
Simply download and install the ASIO drivers (related files will be installed automatically to the right places).

Basically make sure to:

1) Uninstall/install drivers while the Fast Track is disconnected from your computer
2) Afterwards restart your computer and then connect the Fast Track Pro
3) Select the driver/audio device in Reaper

General info can be found here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_To/en404745
solger is offline   Reply With Quote