AAF: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24938

Audacity: (*.mogg)?

AES31: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24941

Cool Edit Pro: Pleas see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33727

Cubase: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24937

DDP: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24940

Nuendo: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24937

OMF: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24943

Open TL: (waiting on info from TASCAM)please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24942

PARIS:

ProTools Session:

Radar Session Files (PROJ*.TXT): Supported Natively

Samplitude EDL (*.EDL): Supported Natively

SAW:

Vegas EDL (*.TXT): Supported Natively

Inspired by Lawrence and others, I wanted to make a centralized post where we could see which file formats REAPER could open and which still need to be done.

I'll try and keep this up to date as info comes in, so please post what I'm missing
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Mr. Data
Human being with feelings

Hi pipelineaudio,

perhaps I overlooked something, but what about MIDI?

Importing MIDI-files works quite well, but you can't export them in the same way. You can save MIDI-files out of the MIDI-Editor, but the time-signature- and tempo-information will be lost. And you can't save a whole project as MIDI-file unless you put everything in one item. This can't be a solution or did I get something wrong?

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
drew
Mobile

Vegas EDL (*.TXT): Supported Natively as pipelineaudio says, but with room to add support for a few more parameters.

There are some things REAPER currently doesn't read.. I guess mainly because the functionality was added to REAPER after the txt EDL import support!

"Locked" should be read as item lock.
"Mute" should be read as item mute.
If "LockPitch"==TRUE in the Vegas EDL, Preserve Pitch should be unset & vice versa.

REAPER doesn't appear to normalize if a Vegas EDL item's Normalized field is TRUE. Although normalizing works differently in Vegas I'm thinking it would make more sense for REAPER to apply its normalize function to those items on loading. It took me a while to work out why a certain project sounded so different!

At present REAPER does not follow the fade curves from Vegas projects, but some (although not all, I guess) could be mapped..

Here are the Vegas fade types by number (known as CurveIn & CurveOut in the EDL):

Finally it appears Vegas doesn't store "item Invert Phase" state in the EDL and although there's a "Color" field in the txt I don't see a way to set item colors in Vegas so maybe that's not worth mapping!

Hope that's useful!

drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
antiClick

as in another tgread...
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=26714

Quote:
For what i'v seen, you can only import from Vegas EDL (wich is already a great postpo app).
The problem is MOST video professionals use
- Final Cut (who exports to OMF or AAF),
- Adobe Premiere (who exports only to Premiere EDL).
- Avid (exports to OMF closed format, so no way here)

I'v seen users forum asking for post-po features, but seems odd to ask for new features while you still can't open a single porject. It's crucial to be able to import from most common video softwares.

My request:
-AAF Import .... I think this is an open XML format
-Premiere EDL .... This is a text file also, so seems also an open format

At least this will do for some of the most common video apps (except avid ).
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
John Lundsten

AntiClick wrote
"The problem is MOST video professionals use
- Final Cut (who exports to OMF or AAF),
- Adobe Premiere (who exports only to Premiere EDL).
- Avid (exports to OMF closed format, so no way here)"

Details wrong but YES, for Reaper to be relevant to PostPro it needs to understand the dominant picture editing app's

IMO in order of "importance"
1 Avid tho FCP is eroding their dominants in the marketplace
2 FCP
3 the rest, from a UK perspective, (& I suspect elsewhere too)progs like Premiere, etc though having merit are not taken seriously at all (hey it's a cruel world. At the risk of pissing off wedding Videographers etc, I suggest forget compatibility with anything other than Avid/FCP

Now Avid/digidesign think the future is AAF, well it may be, but in practice not yet IMO, OMF (the "O" means Open, IE it is an open standard given to the world by Avid)it is by far the most common format to interchange sessions & files.

FCP is snapping at Avid's previously cosy domination of the NLE market. The native session format uses XML,and yes it can convert/ Export (with stuff missing) to AAF & OMF.

So to be credible/ believable to the post comunity I recon Reaper should import:--
1 basic CMX EDL (still used & relevant gives all that OMF v1 can do but with no "issues".
2 AAF would be neat but its a moving target best avoided IMO
3 OMF V2
4 FCP vers of XML

Note to the Reaper developers:
Reaper is getting better all the time & the MIDI capabilities have improved loads But PLEASE consider that Reaper could be the killer app for post. It's nearly there already but it doesn't quite quite cut it ----Yet-----
JL
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
John Lundsten

Default Details of Samplitude EDL Format

Any one know how to get a preferably detailed specification of the Samplitude EDL?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi pipelineaudio,

Importing MIDI-files works quite well, but you can't export them in the same way. You can save MIDI-files out of the MIDI-Editor, but the time-signature- and tempo-information will be lost. And you can't save a whole project as MIDI-file unless you put everything in one item. This can't be a solution or did I get something wrong?

-Data
Coming in Version 3 (well it's in the betas as of already)
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
sceyefeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi pipelineaudio,

-Data
Coming in Version 3 (well it's in the betas as of already) haven't seen V2 since V3beta came out, so can't recall if they slipped it in unnoticed
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
Any one know how to get a preferably detailed specification of the Samplitude EDL?
I don't know if Magix has a published specification but I've managed to suss out the volume and pan envelope information so far and have created an awk script to pull the envelopes out of a Reaper session and inject them into a Samplitude EDL.

Let me know if you want to go this route and I'd be glad to send you the details.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Mr. Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceyefeye View Post
Coming in Version 3 (well it's in the betas as of already) haven't seen V2 since V3beta came out, so can't recall if they slipped it in unnoticed
Hi Sceyefeye,

maybe I'm a bit ignorant, but up until now I refused to get the V3betas, because I run Reaper on two machines (one in our rehearsal room and one at home) and I need a rock-solid running system (which 2.55 is to me), because it doesn't drive the delight to the maximum, if it crashes on stage while you're playing live. I don't know which (unknown) issues the pre-releases may or may not have. Also I am the one who will most likely confuse settings of 2.x and 3betas sooner or later if I have two versions, hence my band-mates lose their politeness if I mess everything up, so although reading a lot in the forums and getting more and more inpatient, I have to stick with 2.55 or what comes up before V3 for now.

But I hope, that it won't take too long anymore until there is a full V3 version, so finally this MIDI-thing is solved (amongst other things).

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2 View Post
I don't know if Magix has a published specification but I've managed to suss out the volume and pan envelope information so far and have created an awk script to pull the envelopes out of a Reaper session and inject them into a Samplitude EDL.

Let me know if you want to go this route and I'd be glad to send you the details.
Thanks for the offer Plush
But I've decided to go via AES31 rather than Samlitude EDL.
J
Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
John Lundsten

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Plush
But I've decided to go via AES31 rather than Samlitude EDL.
J
Hi Plush, if I could backtrack on that a bit. Yes i would very much like some help with Samplitude EDL, please.
I'm working on a conversion program to get Adobe Audition to talk to other apps like Reaper.
a slight problem is while the latest vers (2008) of AES31-3 does stuff like pans, markers & envelopes; my much loved Pro Convert prog doesn't seem to understand any of this "new stuff".

two questions:
the vers of Reaper I am running is using V1.5 of the Samplitude EDL, which for sure is more capable than the 1999 ver of AES31-3, hence I need it too.
But (1) what xtra things do later vers of Samplitude EDL do & (2) more to the point does the latest Reaper understand > V1.5?
John L
Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
John Lundsten

Default Samplitude EDL Import why aren't levels reconised?

An export from Reaper in Samplitude EDL format says it is using V1.5 of this format
Now V1.5 supports what i call levels or Envelopes. They call Volume.

They have an overall clip gain/loss & Vol at listed time points (an envelope
in other words)

If I import a V1.5 (or V1.6)edl containing either or both of these it is NOT recognised by Reaper - sob, this most most disappointing!

I,m still on Reaper 2.52, have Samplitude V1.5 features actually been implemented in later versions?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
plush2

No, it still doesn't support volume or pan envelopes for Samplitude EDLs. I have an awk script that could help over the short term but it would be nice to have this fixed. This awk script is far from any kind of release but it works. PM me if you're interested John.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
John Lundsten

Quote:
No, it still doesn't support volume or pan envelopes for Samplitude EDLs.
no, well it's not v 1.5 then is it!? Hmmp

Quote:
I have an awk script that could help over the short term but it would be nice to have this fixed. This awk script is far from any kind of release but it works. PM me if you're interested John.
hi P2
well yes, I'm interested
Er what does "PM" mean?

you can email me at 1st bit of name dot Surname at sky dot com
or ans here
JL
Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
John Lundsten

A slight answer to my own question.
apparently Samplitude V1.7 does surround data
I know no more
JL
Old 03-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
kerryg

Quote:
yes, I'm interested
Er what does "PM" mean?
PM means "private message".

- K
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #18
John Lundsten

oh, cool, thanks
JL
Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
yhertogh

Default Roland RDAC

If you get the rdac files off of a Roland VS harddisk , you can use a special dll to directly import them into Reaper.

Check out http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=15209

The links in above thread will also detail how to actually get the files off of a VS.

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #20
John Lundsten

Default Odd feature/bug importing using samplitude EDL

If a clip has gain (Eg via F2, Media properties). all is well the level goes up and if saved as a RPP file the amount of gain rise is shown in dB when the project is re-opened.
But save as a Sam EDL & open saved EDL the values are fine but there is no longer any indication of the clip gain (it's always shown as 0dB.
why does this happen & surely it needs fixing?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
plush2

The Samplitude EDL export supports item volume which is adjusted right on the item area when the mouse cursor changes to the vertical arrows. If you use them you will find the gain translates. I'm not sure what your work flow is but I find the item volume to be very handy in this application (exporting to Samp EDL and then to omf or pt using edl convert pro).
Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #22
John Lundsten

Quote:
The Samplitude EDL export supports item volume which is adjusted right on the item area when the mouse cursor changes to the vertical arrows. If you use them you will find the gain translates. I'm not sure what your work flow is but I find the item volume to be very handy in this application (exporting to Samp EDL and then to omf or pt using edl convert pro).
Yes it's a handy feature, but it only gives attenuation. The real oddity I'm concerned with that the level shown in media properties of any "Media item" (I call them clips) that is saved then opened from an EDL shows 0dB. Yes if attenuation were applied a hover over the top edge will show attenuation previous set but with any value greater than unity gain no indication! Sure I can have a look at the EDL in a text editor but inside Reaper i can see track or fader gain/loss but no indication of clip gain.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #23
Kainer

Does no one miss caf-Support?

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
plush2

Quote:
Yes it's a handy feature, but it only gives attenuation. The real oddity I'm concerned with that the level shown in media properties of any "Media item" (I call them clips) that is saved then opened from an EDL shows 0dB. Yes if attenuation were applied a hover over the top edge will show attenuation previous set but with any value greater than unity gain no indication! Sure I can have a look at the EDL in a text editor but inside Reaper i can see track or fader gain/loss but no indication of clip gain.
Under "Media" in the Reaper Preferences is an option labeled "Media item volume adjustment range:" in which you can set the line be inf...6db rather than inf...0db. This would alleviate your problem somewhat I think.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #25
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
Does no one miss caf-Support?
I believe CAF is in (it was added along with PAF and SD2) but just hasn't been added to the list above yet.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=53
Old 06-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #26
Runaway

Default Import / Export Utility

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
AAF: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24938

AES31: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24941
Cool Edit Pro: Pleas see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33727
Cubase: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24937
Nuendo: Please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24937
Open TL: (waiting on info from TASCAM)please see http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=24942
Samplitude EDL (*.EDL): Supported Natively
Vegas EDL (*.TXT): Supported Natively
AATranslator currently support AES31, Samplitude/Reaper EDLs and Audition v3. The next version of AATranslator (due soon) should include the functionality to import OpenTL, Cubase (probably SX3, v4 & v5 - thanks Lawrence) as well as an 'Append Session' feature. The 'Append Session' function is intended for Adobe Audition but in a round about way you could append any supported daw to any other supported daw.

Vegas, PT5 and a host of others are planned.

This might be helpful until Reaper supports these formats natively.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au
Runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #27
Kainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
I believe CAF is in (it was added along with PAF and SD2) but just hasn't been added to the list above yet.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=53

Thanks for the hint kerryg, but I´m on a mac.
Would love to see .caf supported.

http://kainerweissmann.de
Kainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #28
kerryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainer View Post
Thanks for the hint kerryg, but I´m on a mac.
Would love to see .caf supported.
Ahh, OK, gotcha. Xenakios was mentioning he might port this for the Mac, you could ask him what his current plans are; this would be very useful to see on OSX.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #29
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Vegas EDL (*.TXT): Supported Natively as pipelineaudio says, but with room to add support for a few more parameters.

There are some things REAPER currently doesn't read.
"Locked" should be read as item lock.
If "LockPitch"==TRUE in the Vegas EDL, Preserve Pitch should be unset & vice versa.

At present REAPER does not follow the fade curves from Vegas projects, but some (although not all, I guess) could be mapped.
I know this particular post is a bit old but the next version (v1.3) of AATranslator will have things like the Vegas fades mapped as well setting the "Preserve Pitch" based on the "LockPitch" flag plus a heap more.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #30
drew
Mobile

Hi Runaway - ItemLock & Lock Pitch should now be fully supported. Do say if they're not!
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #31
Runaway

I just downloaded the latest Reaper and checked the ItemLock & Lock Pitch are working correctly.

There is however a typo in the EDL header that Reaper writes (a colon rather than a semi colon ) but Vegas v8 doesn't seem to mind - so no big deal. eg ;"CurveOutR":"PlayPitch";"LockPitch"

I note that Invert Phase seems to be reprented in Reaper as a minus value and this value is included in the Vegas EDL as such. This (in v8 of Vegas) doesn't set the 'Invert Phase' switch but rather causes what appears to be a gain envelope line to be drawn in the track below the clip.

In fact I don't see where vegas sends out it's phase info in the EDL?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #32
Runaway

Default Vegad EDL - Video Import

Maybe its just me but it seems that Reaper doesn't like the word "VIDEO" in a Vegas EDL (as per the spec) where as it happily loads the video if the word "AUDIO" is used.

Likewise Reaper's Vegas EDL output erroneously writes "AUDIO" to the Vegas EDL rather than correctly writing "VIDEO" for a video track.
If you load this sort of EDL into Vegas then Vegas will load in the audio for that video track and not the video.

This is really frustrating when specs aren't adhered to (and you happen to be writing a translator) - but as I said maybe its me or some Reaper setting?

Can someone check this out for me?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #33
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
Likewise Reaper's Vegas EDL output erroneously writes "AUDIO" to the Vegas EDL rather than correctly writing "VIDEO" for a video track.

If you load this sort of EDL into Vegas then Vegas will load in the audio for that video track and not the video.

This is really frustrating when specs aren't adhered to (and you happen to be writing a translator) - but as I said maybe its me or some Reaper setting?

Can someone check this out for me?
Confirmed. No video gets loaded into Vegas 8 from Reaper EDL.

Here's the edl...

Code:
"ID";"Track";"StartTime";"Length";"PlayRate";"Locked";"Normalized";"StretchMethod";"Looped";"OnRuler";"MediaType";"FileName";"Stream";"StreamStart";"StreamLength";"FadeTimeIn";"FadeTimeOut";"SustainGain";"CurveIn";"GainIn";"CurveOut";"GainOut";"Layer";"Color";"CurveInR";"CurveOutR":"PlayPitch";"LockPitch"
1;	0;	0.000000;	548175.986395;	1.000000;
FALSE;	FALSE;	0;	TRUE;	FALSE;	AUDIO;
"C:\Users\Lawrence\Desktop\video\mediabay.wmv";	0;	0.000000;
548175.986395;	10.000000;	10.000000;	1.000000;	2;
0.000000;	-2;	0.000000;	0;	-1;	0;	0;
0.000000;	FALSE;
Change AUDIO to VIDEO and it loads the video with no audio.

Vegas edl into Reaper seems to work fine though.

Last edited by Lawrence; 07-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #34
Runaway

Thanks for that Lawrence.

I suspect that the trick is to have 2 entries (and I'll confirm this when I get back to the office).

Essentially the first 2 lines of the EDL should be almost identical but have one "AUDIO" & one "VIDEO" - video first and ID = 0 & 1 respectively and I suspect the same video filename. Not sure how it will go with Reaper but I'm pretty positive it will work with Vegas & Audition.

I also note with some mirth that a ProConvert produced Vegas EDL (like a Reaper produced one) both omit the last 2 'channel' entries (maybe not updated versions) but also have what appears to be the same programming error. That is the header contains a ":" instead of a ";" in the same one place.

Who's been copying off whom? :-)
Old 11-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #35
nogsArrinny

Default Import/Export Formats

If Im trying out an exportprocedure with ZScript-recording I get this ZScript text back:

FileNameSetNext,"ZBRUSH_ZScripts_realignmask.psd"
IPress,Alpha:Export

But if I use this ZScrip text inside a new plugin that Im developing, the _realignmask.psd does NOT appaear inside my ZScripts folder.
And ofcourse when I try to import some time later with:

FileNameSetNext,"ZBRUSH_ZScripts_realignmask.psd"
IPress,Alpha:Import

I get an Error-message from ZB.

Maybe thats because I do not give the Full Path C:Program FilesPixologyZBrush3etc....._realingmask.psd ?

I would really appreciate some help with this File import/export-stuff.

Greetings, EddyL
nogsArrinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #36
phonofranz

Gentlemen,
may I get your attention on a thread regarding AATranlator, that started in the Lounge ?

user Runaway (AAT author) is getting it to convert ProTools' playlists into Reaper tracks/takes...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=204
Old 11-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #37
gbevin

There doesn't seem to be CAF and SD2 support on Mac. Shouldn't be too hard to add, would really appreciate having support for that.
gbevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
kerryg

Default Sd2 and caf support

Is done via libsndfile and that's been enabled courtesy of Xenakios' excellent libsndfile wrapper extension. Although it's currently PC only, he's graciously made the source code available; it's wide open for anyone who wants to take on the job of porting it to OSX.

One of the increasing number of users on the PARIS forums who have added Reaper to their workflow has recently been looking at expanding the wrapper to add write capability, so it's back in the active pile at the moment although I don't have any idea of project roadmaps or timelines.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #39
gbevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg View Post
Is done via libsndfile and that's been enabled courtesy of Xenakios' excellent libsndfile wrapper extension. Although it's currently PC only, he's graciously made the source code available; it's wide open for anyone who wants to take on the job of porting it to OSX.

One of the increasing number of users on the PARIS forums who have added Reaper to their workflow has recently been looking at expanding the wrapper to add write capability, so it's back in the active pile at the moment although I don't have any idea of project roadmaps or timelines.
I can't find the source code of his wrapper, I could have a look at it, any ideas?
gbevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #40
vidalsh

some time will be import acid projects???
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote