Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Soma Jones
Human being with feelings

Default Customizing Toolbar With Transport Elements

Is there a way (knowing Reaper I'm sure there is) for me to add elements of the transport to a custom toolbar? All I want to do is add the timeline location and BPM of the project to my main minimal toolbar without all the other parts of the transport.
I don't want/need all the other elements of the transport taking up screen space.
The Big Clock is too big.

I would prefer not having to spend a lot of time learning how to edit themes.
Thank You.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transport elements.jpg (58.7 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg Custom-Toolbar.jpg (40.3 KB, 540 views)
Soma Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
solger

Maybe this script might be useful: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1885141

Download the file "Big Tempo.eel.txt" from post #21 and rename it to "Big Tempo.eel" (without the '.txt' at the end).
Then import the .eel file via the Action List > Reascript: [Load].

------------------------
In general, it's best to post Theme related questions directly into the Themes section of this forum: https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I'm not sure if it's possible to place elements of the Transport into Toolbars (maybe it's doable via Scripts?). But another option is probably to remove all the elements you don't need from the Transport by editing the rtconfig.txt. And then dock/place the edited Transport to a different Docker position.

I attached an edited rtconfig file for the Default 5.0 Theme as example. Basically the steps are:

1) Open Options > Show REAPER resource path ... and go into the ColorThemes subfolder
2) Make a copy of the Default_5.0.ReaperThemeZip and name it let's say Test_Theme.ReaperThemeZip
3) Rename the extension to .zip and replace the rtconfig.txt file inside (with the one in the .zip attached to this post)
4) Rename the file extension back to Test_Theme.ReaperThemeZip and load the edited Theme in Reaper

Some general info about Theme editing can be found here:

- http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...dit_def_5.html
- www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDTi9uDwhf0
Attached Files
File Type: zip rtconfig.zip (15.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by solger; 10-01-2017 at 05:28 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Soma Jones

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. That is close but I prefer my current set up. I suspect I'm just being to picky about what I want, but I'm surprised I seem to have come up with an aspect of Reaper that isn't easily modified to my preference.

"In general, it's best to post Theme related questions directly into the Themes section of this forum"

I wasn't sure this was a theme related question. I really don't want to open that whole can of worms. Knowing me, I would spend weeks, months learning about themes instead of making music.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Jones View Post
"In general, it's best to post Theme related questions directly into the Themes section of this forum"

I wasn't sure this was a theme related question. I really don't want to open that whole can of worms. Knowing me, I would spend weeks, months learning about themes instead of making music.
Yeah, this was more of a general hint in terms of: maybe other users already edited a Theme this way or have a ready-to-use solution. So you might get more replies or hints to your question there

Quote:
I suspect I'm just being to picky about what I want, but I'm surprised I seem to have come up with an aspect of Reaper that isn't easily modified to my preference.
The rtconfig.txt in my previous post was just a quick and dirty example (basically done in about 5 minutes) without getting into more advanced Theme editing ...
I guess it's possible to do something more elegant, but it usually also requires more time to do this. So it's probably more of a distraction from making music, as you mentioned yourself.

As a side note: if I remember correctly, there have already been feature requests about better customization options for the Main Toolbar area (to the left of the Timeline Ruler) in order to use this space more efficiently.

Last edited by solger; 10-01-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Soma Jones

Upon reflection I decided to give the "Big Tempo" window a try and bound an action to show it via a keystroke (b). I cannot figure out how to 'toggle' this;
'b' - open Big Tempo
'b' - close Big Tempo
As it is I have to mouse over and click X to close the Big Tempo window.

Is it possible somehow to make this toggle open/closed?
If so I think this would suit me just fine.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Jones View Post
I cannot figure out how to 'toggle' this;
'b' - open Big Tempo
'b' - close Big Tempo
As it is I have to mouse over and click X to close the Big Tempo window.

Is it possible somehow to make this toggle open/closed?
No. Sadly, it's not possible to toggle it currently (also see posts #23-#25): https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1885141

But a possible workaround might be to dock the "Big Tempo" into the Toolbar Docker. And then show/hide the Toolbar Docker.

Last edited by solger; 10-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Soma Jones

Thanks I might try that as well. I'm glad I was open minded enough to give it a shot; it is not a problem at all opening it with a keystroke and X'ing it closed right way.