Old 01-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #41
numberthirty
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
Explain then.

What I've seen is electronic music is - nothing - but - EQing. So anything that has synths, electronic drums, anything with elements of EDM. Modern metal is a ton of EQing: drums are super processed, bass and guitars are super processed, vocals sound little to nothing like what the vocalist might sound like in real time in the studio. Modern rock is the same way from what I hear, only a tad less because the organic feel is so crucial in that style. Radio music sounds EQed to death. What are you thinking of exactly ? And if the argument is "modern music requires a lot of EQing", then how is the answer no it isn't, when you've got so many items in the mix that are thrown in together that shouldn't; or that don't actually exist and are themselves 100 processed; and the instruments no longer forms an organic harmony with the mix space they share. Were you thinking of ... modern country perhaps ? Well no, actually, super processed too.
Once you are ready to put the same effort into that you have put into seemingly accepting this nonsense as gospel truth into starting to second guess it?

You'll be ready to get started.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #42
numberthirty

Let's put it this way...

On the one hand?

You are talking about 500hz like it is a sworn enemy of what you are doing.

On the other hand?

You seemed to be a pretty fan of a kick drum sound where a Tube Screamer was surely boosting 500hz.

Once that happens?

You need to be able to second guess your previous assumptions. What you heard clearly proved that they were not always correct.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:48 PM   #43
maxdembo

DL

Please find a load of back issues of recent Sound on Sound magazines. They have mix explanations every month from producers of classic material and up to the minute modern hits of all genres. You will learn a huge amount, more than just doing it on your own and going round in circles.

Extreme EQ'ing never appears in these mix explanations, except for a specific effect. Lots of subtle EQ'ing happens depending on the song and the producer. My own extreme EQ'ing days stopped once I got room treatment (i know i know, broken record, or corrupted MP3!).

In fact, the one thing I've had to look at all over again was my approach to EQ'ing, I Was MASSIVELY over doing it because my room was lying to me.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:02 AM   #44
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
My own extreme EQ'ing days stopped once I got room treatment (i know i know, broken record, or corrupted MP3!).
Dude, it's not you that's the broken record!
Pink Wool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #45
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
DL

Please find a load of back issues of recent Sound on Sound magazines. They have mix explanations every month from producers of classic material and up to the minute modern hits of all genres. You will learn a huge amount, more than just doing it on your own and going round in circles.

Extreme EQ'ing never appears in these mix explanations, except for a specific effect. Lots of subtle EQ'ing happens depending on the song and the producer. My own extreme EQ'ing days stopped once I got room treatment (i know i know, broken record, or corrupted MP3!).

In fact, the one thing I've had to look at all over again was my approach to EQ'ing, I Was MASSIVELY over doing it because my room was lying to me.
I see. And hopefully soon, I'll hear.
I can imagine EQing will be less of an issue with a treated room.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote