Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default anyone sucessfully sends CV from Reaper (or other)?

i installed silent way from expert sleepers in order to send CV from an output from my my soundcard, but the results are very bad or i don't understand the results (i get not interesting noise). My soundcard is at the moment RME Babyface on a mac book pro 10.9.5 OSX.
Does anyone happily sending CV from Reaper or any other DAW? Anytips how can i might achieve that?

Thank you all!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
domzy

i've used silent way in reaper to send CV through the headphone output of my RME Digiface. It's important to use a DC-coupled output, i think. Are you using the headphone output? I've got a suspicion that most if not all of the RME stuff has DC-coupled headphone outs, but i'm not sure about the line outs.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
domzy

there's also VCV Rack - that has been easy to set up to send CV from the digiface, though i've only used up to v0.5 - standalone, not a plugin
Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
the results are very bad or i don't understand the results (i get not interesting noise).
I hate to ask, but what are you expecting?

CV is not audio. I would expect it to sound like random pops and clicks, like when I accidentally routed a raw ADSR envelope to the audio output instead of using it to control an oscillator.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
I hate to ask, but what are you expecting?
I was expecting CV going from my Soundcard Hardware output into my new Analog Synth : P
since i heard some people with RME and silent way could achieve this!

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i've used silent way in reaper to send CV through the headphone output of my RME Digiface. It's important to use a DC-coupled output, i think. Are you using the headphone output? I've got a suspicion that most if not all of the RME stuff has DC-coupled headphone outs, but i'm not sure about the line outs.
Thanks for the input domzy! I did not try with phones before but i tried now but no good results.
Still i'll have to try 1 more time later just in case i might be doing something wrong reaper config and RME Total Mix .
Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
domzy

have you got your CV and gate signals the right way round?
Have you run the calibration in Silent way?

these are two obvious things that spring to mind but i'm not at my studio at the moment
Old 09-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
deeb

Quote:
have you got your CV and gate signals the right way round?
Have you run the calibration in Silent way?

these are two obvious things that spring to mind but i'm not at my studio at the moment
i bought moog minitaur. It has CV input for Pitch, Volume and gate. I tried sending an audio track with silent way as fx and outputing to phones which goes into moog minitaur Volume CV input. My soundcard as just 4 outputs. i am not sure if i will able to try with more than 1 CV output. Will try this later.

I don't see any calibration tool in silent way, this is what the demo looks like here:

Thank you so much.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
domzy

unfortunately i don't think you're going to get it to work as the babyface doesn't have DC-coupled outs.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22452
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
zookthespook

Hi
i am planning to purchase the expert sleeper modules to send cv to my modular gear as well.
Please do let us know if you succeed in doing so !

regards
zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
deeb

Quote:
unfortunately i don't think you're going to get it to work as the babyface doesn't have DC-coupled outs.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=22452
bahh Sh*t : ) Stupid RME! nahhh ! I have RME Fireface 400 also, and seems phones have DC coupled. I am preparing for a trip but i won't be moving with it, since it is too big. I'll try to understand what i will be missing with Fireface laters : )

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
domzy

Quote:
i bought moog minitaur. It has CV input for Pitch, Volume and gate. I tried sending an audio track with silent way as fx and outputing to phones which goes into moog minitaur Volume CV input. My soundcard as just 4 outputs. i am not sure if i will able to try with more than 1 CV output. Will try this later.
In my most normal scenario i send two signals to my synth - CV which would control pitch & gate, which is basically on/off. I use a Y-lead from the headphone out so one channel is CV and the other channel is gate, but you need to have a suitable output and i don't think the babyface has one.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #13
domzy

Quote:
bahh Sh*t : ) Stupid RME! nahhh ! I have RME Fireface 400 also, and seems phones have DC coupled. I am preparing for a trip but i won't be moving with it, since it is too big. I'll try to understand what i will be missing with Fireface laters : )

Thanks!
Cool, i reckon it'll work with the fireface
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
deeb

hope so! alternatively and in future seems ES-3 might work too! didn't know about this hardware units until today. They are expensive (i think) eurorack module. It's a pity it's not available as a usb thing or firewire). Anyway! wonder if anyone tried them!

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/hardware.html
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Jack Ruston

If you do have access to DC coupled outs, be aware that you need to do the following -

1. Ensure that multiple mono outs are created from the plug in

2. Create hardware sends from that track to the interface, ensuring that you select those MONO outputs as the source.

3. With the multi output plug ins, you will need to create a multichannel routing to get all those mono outs appearing individually in the drop down for the output source.

J
Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #16
preferred.nomenclature

I was able to get 3-4 usable octaves on my MG1 for maybe $20 using this guy’s mod http://www.whence.com/soundcard-dc-dac/
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
I was expecting CV going from my Soundcard Hardware output into my new Analog Synth : P
Really "new" ?
Nowadays it seems rather silly to create / sell a device lacking USB input.
(In the company I work for we build a lot of small devices and providing USB needs additional cost from close to zero to some $10 in hardware, as modern microprocessor chips already provide the complete USB hardware - and analog I/O - and come with the appropriate software to easily make use of it).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #18
preferred.nomenclature

Well for one thing the resolution of cv generated by a sound card is limited by its DAC (16/24 bits) while the resolution of a midi message is limited to 7 bits by the MIDI protocol. Sure you can use pairs of CCs or NRPNs but those are really inelegant solutions in my experience.
preferred.nomenclature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
mschnell

Both not really true.

The midi resolution can be 16324 (14 Bit) with e.g. high resolution CC (which is supported by Reaper and hence maybe not "elegant" but "standard", and additional bytes don't harm via USB). E.g. ReaRack does use high resolution CC.

The D/A with (cheap) Microprocessor chips is usually done by PWM hardware, so if you don't need too high final signal frequency, you can get rather high resolution.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-22-2018 at 10:43 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #20
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Really "new" ?
Nowadays it seems rather silly to create / sell a device lacking USB input.
(In the company I work for we build a lot of small devices and providing USB needs additional cost from close to zero to some $10 in hardware, as modern microprocessor chips already provide the complete USB hardware - and analog I/O - and come with the appropriate software to easily make use of it).

-Michael
Interesting! this unit (moog minitaur) has usb for midi, CV ins are just complementary!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
hope so! alternatively and in future seems ES-3 might work too! didn't know about this hardware units until today. They are expensive (i think) eurorack module. It's a pity it's not available as a usb thing or firewire). Anyway! wonder if anyone tried them!

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/hardware.html
I'm running two ES-3's and an ES-5 gate expander from the ADAT outputs of my Fireface UFX with my 5U modular using Silent Way in REAPER and it works flawlessly. You have to make sure your gains and faders pass the Silent Way signals to the modules with no gain or attenuation (make sure all faders are at 0dB in both REAPER and TotalMix) or it won't work properly.

This is my modular as it is currently....
Old 09-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #22
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Holly shit!!! : ) beautiful! Thank you for the info!
Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #23
woogish

Holy motherfuckin' cocksuckin' shit! What a shitstorm ****ing mess!!!!!!!!!!!!
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote