Old 02-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #41
MonkeyBars
Human being with feelings

I DID IT!!

It wasn't easy or convenient, but I figured out how to send item audio to a different track than the one it's on! I even made a track with two items playing at the same time, one routing to the track it lives on, and the other routing to a different track. You do have to use FX plugins on the item to do this.

Here's how to do it:
  1. Create two tracks and put an obvious effect like a filter on track 2 (so you can distinguish when audio is routed to it as opposed to dry track 1).
  2. Do the following on track 1:
    1. Select the "Free Item Positioning" option.
    2. Insert two different stereo audio items at the same time ("on top of each other" / summing).
    3. Open the routing window and increase the number of track channels to 4.
    4. Make an aux send on track 1 that sends to track 2. In the left (input) "Audio" dropdown, select "Stereo source > 3/4" as the input.
    5. Leave audio item 1 as is. Open the Take FX window for your audio item 2 and a add simple plugin like JS Volume Adjustment.
    6. Open the Plugin Pin Connector by clicking the "4 in 4 out" button. On the right are the output selectors. Deselect the output 1 & 2 boxes going to track channels 1 & 2, and select the boxes for track channels 3 & 4, below. This sends the item's signal to those track channels only.
    7. Add a second Volume FX plugin in the chain and turn the Adjustment fader all the way down. This effectively mutes the item on the default track channels of 1 & 2.
Now play back the section with the two items in track 1 back. Item 1 should be playing through dry track 1 as normal, while item 2 should be playing only through track 2's filter!

Of course, the steps above don't exactly replicate the OP's sick video post, but one could easily do just that simply by sending the FX pin connections to aux effects and adjusting the output levels in the FX plugins for wet and dry. Crossfades are a given! The technique isn't that hard once you've done it once.

As far as routing, I am stumped as to anything Reaper can't do. Hats off, Reaper team!

Since this audio routing is possible, to add a better UX for item sends would hopefully be a relatively easy feature addition to the codebase.

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 02-27-2016 at 12:20 PM.
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #42
digitalfix

Can the network send thing (I forget it's name) be used to spoof this? Not in front of my computer at the moment.
digitalfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #43
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfix View Post
Can the network send thing (I forget it's name) be used to spoof this? Not in front of my computer at the moment.
I've never used ReaMote but from this wiki page it looks like there's an IP dropdown that you're sending the signal to. Of course, if you can select the master in that dropdown, ReaMote is as good as any other plugin. JS Volume Adjustment was just the most minimal plugin I could find, but you could just as easily affect your signal arbitrarily before sending it to your desired aux.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #44
Masonic

I was kindly advised to bump this awesome thread in a hope that the developers will get enough encouragement to finally implement this life (reaping) saving feature.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #45
PelF

+1000000 ...or is this feature already available in Reaper?
PelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #46
svijayrathinam

Fantastic Idea !!! Pls lets have this
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 PM   #47
Thalamus

Oh yes please!
Thalamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #48
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
this would look great if included a midi hardware input also ! : )
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #49
EvilDragon

I don't really see a point of per-item hardware MIDI inputs...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #50
deeb

i see! it could bring lot's of other issues, but being able to re record based on items instead of tracks would give a different kind of composing perspective
Old 09-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #51
EvilDragon

Yes, a much more complicated one.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #52
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes, a much more complicated one.
not sure! : ) i would say complementary one , really! it's just different.

I would keep full sequences and sounds in an item instead of track, and work from there. (very flexible, reusable, "freezable")
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #53
sonicowl

What happened to this great FR from 2012? To send from item directly to existing fx track would be really welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Coming from Samplitude i was very glad to see Take FX in Reaper, now I am wondering if we can extend the workflow with items.

First of all I'd like to call the existing
Take FX = Item FX inserts
because for me it makes more sense to call them this way when talking about item FX sends

What is it:

Item FX sends are for me co-existent to item FX inserts (which reaper has right now). With item FX sends we could send various items to the same or different instance of a reverb, delay or anything you can put on a normal track. It's the same thing than having track inserts and sends but on an item level (but here our item sends are routed to a track housing a plugin)

Examples:

Imagine we have a CPU hungry instance of Altiverb, we work on an item based approach and we cannot afford to load new instances of Altiverb as new item fx inserts (as we wouldn't do on a track approach) we want to do several crossfades between objects to have a cool wet dry ratio.

look how Kraznet, a very active Samplitude and Sequoia guy is using item FX sends in the beginning (here items are called objects ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjRP..._Da12UzWfeEMdy

This all is on an item level and can be impressive fast.

Advantages:

This will keep our CPU low, and can be a really quick way to put an send on a single item.

Where to put:

I would put that feature somewhere in the Media Item Properties besides the take FX

Routing:

I think the routing could be better than in Samplitude. If we could see the the receives of the items in the track I/O settings (the track housing our plugin(s) we want to send to) like the normal track receives we have an mighty way of handling things.

Who would use it:

It think this is mostly for Sound Designers, Game Soundies, but will also find place in normal mixing situations as in various situations this is faster than automation curves. (instead of automation we can do a crossfade).

I haven't put it in the issue tracker, just want to hear what you think about it and how we can archive it in the smoothest way. And I have to admit that all this "take fx" "item fx inserts" vocabulary can be confusing but don't judge me too hard

I have asked about this feature before:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post900855

Here we go, open for discussion:

Edit: 04-22-2012 Meanwhile I created an fr in the issue tracker at http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4106
sonicowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:57 PM   #54
svijayrathinam

Bump. Pls this will be a very useful feature..
Old 02-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #55
Vagelis

Nice idea.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #56
SonicAxiom

you may wanna try one of these (Windows VST *.dll files):

SonicAxiom_Item router 8x stereo - routes the item's audio to the desired track channels (exclusively). You may then use the selected channels to route them to other tracks or to dedicated hardware outputs of your audio interface:

download

---------------------------------

SonicAxiom_Item router 8x stereo basic - always routes the item's audio to track channels 7+8 AND additionally allows to enable/disable routing to channels 1+2 also:

download

----------------------------------

SonicAxiom_Item multi-router 8x stereo basic - allows routing the item's audio to up to 8 stereo channels (busses) simultaneously:

download

SonicAxiom_Item multi-router 8x stereo - allows routing the item's audio to up to 8 stereo channels (busses) simultaneously. Additionally features dedicated mutes and volume faders for each "bus":

download

In oder to make the plugins work properly with the track's internal channels you should set the track's channel count to 16 channels prior to inserting the plugins into the item on that track. Else you might have to manually add sufficient out_pins in the pin routing.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 02-05-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: plugin naming scheme and link overhaul
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #57
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
you may wanna try one of these (Windows VST *.dll files):

AW_Item router 8x stereo - routes the item's audio to the desired track channels (exclusively). You may then use the selected channels to route them to other tracks or to dedicated hardware outputs of your audio interface:

download

---------------------------------

AW_Item router 8x stereo basic - always routes the item's audio to track channels 7+8 AND additionally allows to enable/disable routing to channels 1+2 also:

download

AW_Item multi-router 8x stereo basic - allows routing the item's audio to up to 8 stereo channels (busses) simultaneously:

download

AW_Item multi-router 8x stereo - allows routing the item's audio to up to 8 stereo channels (busses) simultaneously. Additionally features dedicated mutes and volume faders for each "bus":

download

In oder to make the plugins work properly with the track's internal channels you should set the track's channel count to 16 channels prior to inserting the plugin into the item on that track. Else you might have to manually add sufficient out_pins in the pin routing.

Wow !! Will This Work On a Mac ?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #58
SonicAxiom

alas, afaik VST dll files won't work on mac. Maybe some kind of wrapper exists but I'm not familiar with mac.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #59
SonicAxiom

another option to route audio from an item to another track or to a hardware output is my AW_in-track_send_fx_router (originally intended do be used as a track fx):

(download from my VST plugin page, see signature)

if put on an item, this plugin allows you to determin a send level from that item to the track's internal "bus" channels 3+4. You can adjust the wet and dry levels and also mute either of the two.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #60
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
another option to route audio from an item to another track or to a hardware output is my AW_in-track_send_fx_router (originally intended do be used as a track fx):

(download from my VST plugin page, see signature)

if put on an item, this plugin allows you to determin a send level from that item to the track's internal "bus" channels 3+4. You can adjust the wet and dry levels and also mute either of the two.

Will this work on macs ?
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #61
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Will this work on macs ?
see post 58.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #62
Vagelis

Thanks SonicAxiom,tommorow i 'll be back home for testing.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #63
svijayrathinam

any update on this for Mac users ?

Bump pls..Item sends will be very useful
Old 03-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #64
Jae.Thomas

I think a native solution for this just makes sense - I dont have a huge use for it but it would come in handy in some cases
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #65
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
I think a native solution for this just makes sense - I dont have a huge use for it but it would come in handy in some cases
Yeah, the guts are really already there so this is mostly a UX FR. Bump!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #66
SonicAxiom

here you go, folks (notably mac users ):

JS versions of some of my VST plugins are now available, notably those offering item routing capability. You can choose between a no. of different item routing "flavours". These are:
  • SonicAxiom_in-track_send_fx_router

Before loading this plugin onto an item, set the track's channel count to 4 channels. Then, put this plugin onto an item on that track and you can then enable an "item send" in the plugin via which the item's audio will get routed to the track's channels 3+4. Create a regular send from the track the item is on to another track (or to a desired hardware output) and set this send to use audio target channels 3+4 instead of the default 1+2. You can adjust the send volume with the bottom slider. Both the direct signal (track channels 1+2) and the send signal can be muted.
-------------------------------------------------------
  • SonicAxiom_Item router 8x stereo - minimal

Before loading this plugin onto an item, set the track's channel count to 16 channels. Then, put this plugin into an item's fx chain and you can then route the item's audio to one of 8 stereo busses. Create a regular send from the track the item is on to another track (or to a desired hardware output) and set this send to use the same audio target channels as selected in the plugin.
  • SonicAxiom_Item router 8x stereo - basic

Before loading this plugin onto an item, set the track's channel count to 8 channels. Then, put this plugin into an item's fx chain and the item's audio will be sent to the track's channels 7+8. Create a regular send from the track the item is on to another track (or to a desired hardware output) and set this send to use audio target channels 7+8.

If you wish to have the item's audio on track channels 1+2 also, you can enable this stereo bus in addition to the 7+8 routing which is always active.
  • SonicAxiom_Item multi-router 8x stereo - basic

Before loading this plugin onto an item, set the track's channel count to 16 channels. Then, put this plugin into an item's fx chain and the item's audio will be sent to one or several of the track's internal audio channels simultaneously, as desired. Create regular sends from the track the item is on to other tracks (or to one or more desired hardware outputs) and set the respective sends to use the appropriate audio target channels.
  • SonicAxiom_Item multi-router 8x stereo

Before loading this plugin onto an item, set the track's channel count to 16 channels. Then, put this plugin into an item's fx chain and the item's audio will be sent to one or several of the track's internal audio channels simultaneously, as desired with the option to also adjust the volume for each send separately. Create regular sends from the track the item is on to other tracks (or to one or more desired hardware outputs) and set the respective sends to use the appropriate audio target channels.

You can find all these JSFX in a single zip archive on my VST plugin collection page (by following the link in my signature).

btw, the plugins won't introduce any latency on their sends!
If you don't see any audio being passed as expected, you've probably forgotten to set the track to the necessary amount of channels before loading the plugin on an item. Simply open the plugin's pin connector and add the necessary amount of channels.

Hope you will find these useful

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 03-12-2019 at 07:10 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #67
mschnell

Providing JSFXes via ReaPack makes much more sense than distributing a ZIP file....

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #68
mschnell

... Just trying to say that it would benefit new and other users a lot if such useful plugins were findable and installable in Reapack.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #69
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Providing JSFXes via ReaPack makes much more sense than distributing a ZIP file....
True, but thanks so much for making these useful plugs!!
Old 07-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #70
McSound

Bump! Thanks SonicAxiom for these wonderful plugins. Native solution from devs would be very appreciated, though!
McSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #71
SonicAxiom

thanks, folks, for finding my plugins unseful!
I'm basically willing to share them via ReaPack, however, I currently have no time to figure out how this works.
Maybe one day ...

Old 10-31-2023, 06:29 AM   #72
henu

ill just give this a bump because its a good FR
henu is offline   Reply With Quote