Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #1
pitol678
Human being with feelings

Default automation-setting point shape

Hi,
Ive been searching this all morning and cant find an answer. I have an early 2011 macbook pro that recently crashed, and Im trying to retrieve plugins, presets etc. However, for some reason Im unable to select a point shape for an automation envelope. Previously, I would control+click and I could select fast start/end etc but that doesn't work now. I had assumed this was the default but I may have set this up at some point and forgotten. Now when I select and control+click, nothing happens. Can anyone remind me of how to do this? Thanks!
pitol678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitol678 View Post
Hi,
Ive been searching this all morning and cant find an answer. I have an early 2011 macbook pro that recently crashed, and Im trying to retrieve plugins, presets etc. However, for some reason Im unable to select a point shape for an automation envelope. Previously, I would control+click and I could select fast start/end etc but that doesn't work now. I had assumed this was the default but I may have set this up at some point and forgotten. Now when I select and control+click, nothing happens. Can anyone remind me of how to do this? Thanks!
Look under Preferences/Mouse modifiers/envelope point what do you have assigned to command+left drag (there is no left click). I have assigned 'Free hand draw envelope ignoring snap'. For inserting one point in the envelope lane, I use a custom action:

SWS/BR: Select envelope at mouse cursor
Envelope: Unselect all points
SWS/BR: Insert new envelope point at mouse cursor using value at curr..
SWS/BR: Select envelope point at mouse cursor
SWS/BR: Save envelope point selection, slot 01
SWS/BR: Restore envelope point selection, slot 01

I can't remember where I got it from, but it works perfect(I assigned that to a shortcut key).

hth

Under Preferences/Mouse modifiers/envelope point, envelope segment and envelope lane you can see all assignments..

Last edited by o_e; 10-20-2018 at 09:02 AM.
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
pitol678

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Look under Preferences/Mouse modifiers/envelope point what do you have assigned to command+left drag (there is no left click). I have assigned 'Free hand draw envelope ignoring snap'. For inserting one point in the envelope lane, I use a custom action:

SWS/BR: Select envelope at mouse cursor
SWS/BR: Insert new envelope point at mouse cursor using value at curr..
SWS/BR: Select envelope point at mouse cursor
SWS/BR: Save envelope point selection, slot 01
SWS/BR: Restore envelope point selection, slot 01

I can't remember where I got it from, but it works perfect(I assigned that to a shortcut key).

hth

Under Preferences/Mouse modifiers/envelope point, envelope segment and envelope lane you can see all assignments..
Is this the right place to look?
https://forum.cockos.com/attachment....1&d=1540076337
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg (62.4 KB, 217 views)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
o_e

Quote:
Is this the right place to look?
No, the context is 'Envelope point'

Last edited by o_e; 10-20-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
pitol678

Quote:
No, the context is 'Envelope point'

I must've clicked something when I was taking the screenshot. I still cant get it to work, I tried Tracks>Envelopes>set shape for selected points, and I still cant get anything to change the shape. Im really confused
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #6
o_e

Quote:
I must've clicked something when I was taking the screenshot. I still cant get it to work, I tried Tracks>Envelopes>set shape for selected points, and I still cant get anything to change the shape. Im really confused
I don't know what you mean by 'Tracks>Envelopes>set shape for selected points'. Can you maybe make a screenshot?
Like I posted before, you have to go for the context 'Envelope points' in mouse modifiers. If everything is set like in the picture, when you press command (⌘), your mouse cursor should turn into a pencil tool..
Also, if you press shift (⇧) instead of command on the envelope lane, you can insert a point (I think, that is what you were after orginally..?)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
pitol678

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by 'Tracks>Envelopes>set shape for selected points'. Can you maybe make a screenshot?
Like I posted before, you have to go for the context 'Envelope points' in mouse modifiers. If everything is set like in the picture, when you press command (⌘), your mouse cursor should turn into a pencil tool..
Also, if you press shift (⇧) instead of command on the envelope lane, you can insert a point (I think, that is what you were after orginally..?)
So, if I go to the top of the screen, along with "options", "actions", "insert", etc, there is also a dropdown entitled "tracks" that has an envelope tab where you can select the shape. However, that option WORKS for me this morning but didnt yesterday--very strange.

My original concern was that I use (before the computer crash) to be able to "control+click" on a selected point and then select the shape from there which was simpler. However, as I attempted to try and find out why I wasnt able to do this anymore, I found that I couldn't change the shape of the point at all. For whatever reason though, I am able to change the point shape through Tracks>envelopes etc. less convenient than simply "control+click"but at least its possible now.

Last edited by pitol678; 10-21-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #8
o_e

Quote:

My original concern was that I use (before the computer crash) to be able to "control+click" on a selected point and then select the shape from there which was simpler. However, as I attempted to try and find out why I wasnt able to do this anymore, I found that I couldn't change the shape of the point at all. For whatever reason though, I am able to change the point shape through Tracks>envelopes etc. less convenient than simply "control+click"but at least its possible now.
Now I've got it! Do you mean this menu by chance?

Its appears when you rightclicking on the lane and with a mac you have the option to use the control-key to emulate the right-click, so you have to have the last option checked..?:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
pitol678

Quote:
Now I've got it! Do you mean this menu by chance?

Its appears when you rightclicking on the lane and with a mac you have the option to use the control-key to emulate the right-click, so you have to have the last option checked..?:
Thats it!!! thanks a million! I know its a small thing but that was driving me nuts, much appreciated
Old 10-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
o_e

Well, that took some doing! :-)

A good habit is to save all your settings, shortcuts etc. from time to time in an extra file, so that, in case of a computer crash you can reimport them..

Last edited by o_e; 10-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
pitol678

Quote:
Well, that took some doing! :-)

A good habit is to save all your settings, shortcuts etc. from time to time in an extra file, so that, in case of a computer crash you can reimport them..

Didn't even know that was possible but thats an excellent idea, much thanks!!