Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 AM   #1
Miul
Human being with feelings

Default Low latency mode like

Hello,

can anyone tell me if there is a similar function to low latency mode, where all the plugins with high latency gets bypassed in order to be able to record new synths (or audio) part?
Miul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Miul

I have to assume there is not such thing.
How do you guys record when the session has got plugin with high latency?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
mschnell

Usually you don't introduce plugins pre-recording, so they don't affect the recording at all.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

What plugins are offending your workflow ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:20 AM   #4
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Usually you don't introduce plugins pre-recording, so they don't affect the recording at all.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish ?

What plugins are offending your workflow ?

-Michael

Hi Michael,

Simple. When I hear something I try to reach it, to do so some plugins maybe particularly heavy in term of latency. This is the reason such "low latency mode" exist.

If you want to cage the music process into predetermined rules...that might work for somebody, surely not for me.

It seems like I have to make a proper feature request.

Cheers
Old 11-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #5
zeekat

I try to remember to uncheck lookahead limiter (I think it's the only slowing down one I use) while recording something, but some sort of global button would be actually neat wouldn't it.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
but some sort of global button would be actually neat wouldn't it.
Agreed.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58327
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miul View Post
Simple.
... predetermined rules... surely not for me.
While I don't understand anything of what you say (supposedly due to lack of rules in the language), maybe this might help:

SWS provides "snapshots" that you can use to easily switch between multiple configurations of your project: Plugins enabled/disabled, different sets of parameters for plugins, ...

(I'm sure, a feature request on such behalf will be ignored.)

-Michael
Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #8
Miul

Quote:
While I don't understand anything of what you say (supposedly due to lack of rules in the language), maybe this might help:

SWS provides "snapshots" that you can use to easily switch between multiple configurations of your project: Plugins enabled/disabled, different sets of parameters for plugins, ...

-Michael
As my language might have been imprecise (I admit having made some mistakes) always remember there are some not mother language around here.
Your answer is, anyway, by far more despicable than my poor english is. Both in tone and content.

I'm not expecting any better from you, as this is not the first time, I just want you to notice that your suggestion is typical of someone who's got not the slightest clue of what is talking about it.

As other people confirm.

P.S By the way, by your answer it seems like you understood pretty well what I meant
Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Miul

Quote:

-Michael
Furthermore, if you don't know what a predetermined rules is...that is really your problem
Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Oh wow, that's ancient. Seems like an easy thing to implement. I think I'll do my first FR vote - I have simple needs and usual feature requests are too advanced to me, but I get this one.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
I have to assume there is not such thing.
How do you guys record when the session has got plugin with high latency?
Can you clarify?
Do you mean you are wanting to actually record a track using a VSTi instrument with high latency placed on the track, to get the sound you want?

FWIW I use a bunch of fairly heavyweight VSTi and havent found one where latency caused by the instrument itself caused excessive latency. I am using an i7 4770 with 16gb of ram, fwiw. Reaper shows a typical round trip latency of under 2 ms. until I insert a lot of other plugins & recorded tracks.

Have you discovered freezing yet?
It`s worth considering freezing any existing tracks in your recording when pushing the envelope, as any reduction in load on your computer is going to help you.

So: Is the offending plugin a VSTi that you are trying to use to record with?
If so, do you have any other plugins already in the project on other tracks?
These and several other factors will definitely affect your overall latency, which is why I suggested trying freeze.

And to be honest, although I know M.S. can get abrasive, I didnt detect anything particularly nasty in his post that you took exception to. I really think this is more a case of both of you using English and both of you NOT being native english speakers. Take a deep breath and SMILE before you post!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
mschnell

Quote:
Furthermore, if you don't know what a predetermined rules is...
Sorry for imprecise citation, "predetermined rule" was one of the few parts of the message I did understand. I did not understand your description of the workflow you want to do. Regarding me suggesting SWS snapshots, at some point I draw that conclusion from the first post in the thread.

Sorry if I have sounded aggressive .
-Michael (not a native English speaker)

Last edited by mschnell; 11-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
both of you NOT being native english speakers.
Miul once said "I’ve studied at Berklee", so I am sure he can do better that in that post trying to explain circumstances to non-native speakers like myself.

-Michael
Old 11-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
ivansc

Depends WHAT he studied at Berklee....
Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
Tycho

I struggle with this a lot as I do a lot of real-time monitoring through plugins. What I've found is that any time you have plugins on a bus, like the master, it will really slow things down. If things start dragging the first thing I do is bypass the master bus fx.

next thing you can do is go to performance meter and check the CPU use and PDC value for each track to get a better idea of where things are heavy. to get a sense of which individual plugins are slow you can click on one on a track and see the reported latency in the lower left corner of the FX window.

Big offenders for me are UAD plugins (super high latency when run in native mode) and linear phase and mastering type stuff.

The alternative is to setup all your fx as fully wet aux sends and hardware monitor the dry signal through your interface. this only works for time based fx like reverb and delay but it can be helpful.
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #16
Miul

Quote:
Can you clarify?
Do you mean you are wanting to actually record a track using a VSTi instrument with high latency placed on the track, to get the sound you want?

FWIW I use a bunch of fairly heavyweight VSTi and havent found one where latency caused by the instrument itself caused excessive latency. I am using an i7 4770 with 16gb of ram, fwiw. Reaper shows a typical round trip latency of under 2 ms. until I insert a lot of other plugins & recorded tracks.

Have you discovered freezing yet?
It`s worth considering freezing any existing tracks in your recording when pushing the envelope, as any reduction in load on your computer is going to help you.

So: Is the offending plugin a VSTi that you are trying to use to record with?
If so, do you have any other plugins already in the project on other tracks?
These and several other factors will definitely affect your overall latency, which is why I suggested trying freeze.

And to be honest, although I know M.S. can get abrasive, I didnt detect anything particularly nasty in his post that you took exception to. I really think this is more a case of both of you using English and both of you NOT being native english speakers. Take a deep breath and SMILE before you post!
Hi Ivancs,

It can be any of those cases. Of course, I don't know what kind of plugins you use but some more modern ones are really aggressive on it. Modular from softube is so high demanding, for instance. But other plugins I might have used already in the song might really increase latency to a point where it is impossible to play percussive stuff also on a very light one. Same for some guitars, not to mention basses.

I met Freeze in Logic, it must have been more than 10 years ago. The point with freezing is that it is time consuming, you have to find the offending plugins on different tracks and freeze them....eventually unfreeze them, therefore might not be the right function to use when reduction of latency is only required for the recording. Isn't better a dedicated function? Have you ever heard of it?

In my FR, which is now a proper one, at https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213230 I'm also suggesting something innovative. As I said earlier for a pad you might not have the same latency requirements as for a percussive instrument; sometimes, I like having a bit of latency on voice, which combined with the direct sound gives me a lovely slap sound, so, I asked the threshold of bypassing plugins being determined by the user on occasion. Maybe an automatic, a medium value and I high value preset might be great, together with the chance to manually write it.

It should be understood that workarounds, like the sws snapshots, are a great way to help the users, but are often far from the real solution itself (you have to search the plugins, update them as you go on). Not even close to the same thing.

About the language: as we all come from different cultures and heritages, we should understand that what might not be found offensive by one, can really be for others.
In my culture and education, underlining a "defect" (in this case of language), while having totally understood the essence of the writing (as proved by his own answer) is one of the rudest and worst kind of sarcasm that can be made. isn't so also in your country? But I accept the apology anyway. Always!

Some people seems to agree, some other probably prefer making researches of the offending plugins in spite of a single button. I don't understand the second ones, but we all have different approach, don't we?

Cheers

P.S. You will find me ending with "Cheers" most of my posts...or am I forced to use the smiling little kiddy faces to show I'm not writing out of rage or whatever other negative feeling?

Last edited by Miul; 11-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Big offenders for me are UAD plugins (super high latency when run in native mode) and linear phase and mastering type stuff.
You can now find the feature request: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213230

Just out of curiosity...how can you have uad native plugins?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
Miul

Quote:
Depends WHAT he studied at Berklee....
Music of course, but I had to take an English as a second language course...than life.

Nevertheless, it is my second language, and mostly when I write on the fly, I can be very imprecise as I was in the mentioned post.

Other than that, I have wonderful reviews about my english lyrics, which I'm very proud of.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
Miul

Quote:
Miul once said "I’ve studied at Berklee", so I am sure he can do better that in that post trying to explain circumstances to non-native speakers like myself.

-Michael
I have been unprecise. You can read more on previous posts if you mind.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #20
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Oh wow, that's ancient. Seems like an easy thing to implement. I think I'll do my first FR vote - I have simple needs and usual feature requests are too advanced to me, but I get this one.
Reaper it is very ancient on certain matters ...and I do feel you about the kind of usual FR in the reaper forum
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213230
Old 11-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
as we all come from different cultures and heritages, we should understand that what might not be found offensive by one, can really be for others.In my culture and education, underlining a "defect" (in this case of language), while having totally understood the essence of the writing (as proved by his own answer) is one of the rudest and worst kind of sarcasm that can be made. isn't so also in your country?
Very true. A permanent unavoidable cause of trouble in these multi-cultural forums. So I apologize in case ha have been sounded more rude than intended in my replies to posts that maybe to me sounded like careless and in fact were not.

E.g. in my culture it's considered exceptionally rude to claim (even implicitly) that a request I have is "obviously desperately needed by everybody", as such statements would need a thorough research before being published, and violates the rights of all those who's agreement has been implied, but who never have been asked.

-Michael
Old 11-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #22
Miul

Quote:
Very true. A permanent unavoidable cause of trouble in these multi-cultural forums. So I apologize in case ha have been sounded more rude than intended in my replies to posts that maybe to me sounded like careless and in fact were not.

E.g. in my culture it's considered exceptionally rude to claim (even implicitly) that a request I have is "obviously desperately needed by everybody", as such statements would need a thorough research before being published, and violates the rights of all those who's agreement has been implied, but who never have been asked.

-Michael
Did I fall into this mistake?

Cheers
Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #23
serr

Here's the thing. Some plugins have a large latency. Too large to be used in live sound or live performance situations that require low latency. Now some of these might have a low latency mode that maybe compromises the sound quality as a concession. A "low latency mode" feature in a DAW could toggle such a feature for you. But only if said plugin had a low latency mode feature. For all the large resource plugins that don't... What would you want the "low latency mode" feature to do? Just disable the plugin? If it's a 3rd party plugin and it's base latency is what it is, your DAW app isn't going to be able to rewrite its code.

That's probably what anyone who answered "Wait, what do you want?" was thinking about.

If you decide you need to record something more and you already have some of those monster plugins inserted in the session, your only choice is to pre-render those tracks or listen to them with said plugins bypassed.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #24
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Here's the thing. Some plugins have a large latency. Too large to be used in live sound or live performance situations that require low latency. Now some of these might have a low latency mode that maybe compromises the sound quality as a concession. A "low latency mode" feature in a DAW could toggle such a feature for you. But only if said plugin had a low latency mode feature. For all the large resource plugins that don't... What would you want the "low latency mode" feature to do? Just disable the plugin? If it's a 3rd party plugin and it's base latency is what it is, your DAW app isn't going to be able to rewrite its code.

That's probably what anyone who answered "Wait, what do you want?" was thinking about.

If you decide you need to record something more and you already have some of those monster plugins inserted in the session, your only choice is to pre-render those tracks or listen to them with said plugins bypassed.
I worked for years in logic and studio one with such feature...I never had a single situation where this wouldn't work.
I even expanded the idea to a higher level (I guess).

The resistant to something that cannot hurt anyone is always something that surprises me.
On the contrary, even If I am the least entitled to say this, appears to me a pretty simple action.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
Did I fall into this mistake?
No. (Just very slightly by "but are often far from the real solution itself".)

I just rather often have been bashed for pointing out such issues.

-Michael
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
serr

Quote:
I worked for years in logic and studio one with such feature...I never had a single situation where this wouldn't work.
I even expanded the idea to a higher level (I guess).

The resistant to something that cannot hurt anyone is always something that surprises me.
On the contrary, even If I am the least entitled to say this, appears to me a pretty simple action.

Cheers
You would be restricted to plugins that were compatible with such a feature. Which was certainly the situation that you had past experience with. Reaper lets you use any 3rd party plugins. That includes plugins that will not work in a low latency scenario. If you restrict your plugins to ONLY those with low enough latency to use live (like the plugin sets in your previous experience with other DAWs), then Reaper will be no different.

Now, the idea of a low latency mode that toggles a compatible feature in a 3rd party plugin that supports that sounds like an excellent idea. And there was probably a case of something like this with a plugin you used in another DAW before. Definitely a reasonable feature request!

I was only commenting on the 3rd party plugins that have no such feature. You'd have no choice if the plugin didn't support a low latency mode and this is surely what people were thinking about with the "wait, what?" comments.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #27
mpl

ReaPack/mpl_Toggle bypass all project FX with latency (PDC) higher than X samples
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #28
ivansc

Quote:
I like having a bit of latency on voice, which combined with the direct sound gives me a lovely slap sound, so, I asked the threshold of bypassing plugins being determined by the user on occasion. Maybe an automatic, a medium value and I high value preset might be great, together with the chance to manually write it.

It should be understood that workarounds, like the sws snapshots, are a great way to help the users, but are often far from the real solution itself (you have to search the plugins, update them as you go on). Not even close to the same thing.

Some people seems to agree, some other probably prefer making researches of the offending plugins in spite of a single button. I don't understand the second ones, but we all have different approach, don't we?
About the only thing I agree with in the above quote is about us all having different approaches.
IMO, using latency to get a slap echo when recording vocal is downright weird!

As far as freezing being time-consuming, that is not my experience, but there again I know what all my plugins do and am aware of the few I have that do introduce a lot of latency.

As far as "modern" versus"old" plugins, "badly coded" is far more of a factor unless you are one of those who are prepared to put up with Nebula plugs, openly stated as being unsuitable for use at the recording stage.

Unfortunately in my book, you seem to be deliberately seeking a way to avoid the most logical and efficient way of dealing with this.
FWIW I seldom if ever experience anything like this because I regularly weed out my plugins giving preference after quality of result to subsidiary issues like latency.
All in all, I suspect that your feature request ain`t going to get much traction, but what do I know?

Forgot to add that I beta for several of the major plugin and virtual instrument developers, so I am not exactly using olde worlde plugins.

As requested, no smileys but for what its worth "cheers" in English english has more to do with having a drink down the pub than being friendly.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
ReaPack/mpl_Toggle bypass all project FX with latency (PDC) higher than X samples
Nice! dangerous on the ears, but very handy.
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #30
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
dangerous on the ears
Also, an ReaPack/mpl_Toggle mute all tracks contain FX with latency (PDC) higher than X samples

Actually you can sort FX by PDC in Performance Meter and bypass them, but it doesn`t remember state.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #31
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You would be restricted to plugins that were compatible with such a feature. Which was certainly the situation that you had past experience with.
He's specifically asking for a feature that simply bypasses all plugins that have high latency (see the first post). The plugin itself doesn't need any special functionality; there can be an option in the DAW for the desired time threshold above which all plugins are bypassed when going into this mode. This would automatically bypass lookahead limiters and long latency linear phase stuff and so on and so on. This gives you better response times for maneuvering the project while you do something specific that needs it, and in turn changes the overall sound of the project for the time you are doing so, of course.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #32
ivansc

Apart from the fact that in that scenario its a total crap shoot as to which plugins get automatically disabled. To me it just seems like a counter=productive way of doing something JUST to "automate" it.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:38 AM   #33
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Apart from the fact that in that scenario its a total crap shoot as to which plugins get automatically disabled. To me it just seems like a counter=productive way of doing something JUST to "automate" it.
Not a total crap shoot, otherwise PDC wouldn't work either . The host knows the latency, all this would need is a user option for a comfortable latency threshold and a way to bypass everything that goes above.

Another way of looking at it is, you could then have checkable options for plugins, setting "always bypass in low latency monitoring mode", "never bypass in low latency monitoring mode", and so on, per plugin, to fine tune. Or you could have an option to disable the automatic threshold based bypassing, and when you engage the mode, only bypass the plugins that have "disable in low latency monitoring mode" set explicitly. For that handful of plugins you regularly use that cause significant latency.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #34
ivansc

I was thinking more along the lines of "what if the plugin that is causing the worst latency is the one you are needing to actually hear?"

There again, what do I know? I still tend to record with a "real" band in mind even when using virtual instruments, so I am fairly unlikely to ever get in this sort of situation. Plus even though I have a fair few plugs, I also have a good handle on which ones are cpu hogs & din`t use them too early on in a project..
Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #35
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of "what if the plugin that is causing the worst latency is the one you are needing to actually hear?"

There again, what do I know? I still tend to record with a "real" band in mind even when using virtual instruments, so I am fairly unlikely to ever get in this sort of situation. Plus even though I have a fair few plugs, I also have a good handle on which ones are cpu hogs & din`t use them too early on in a project..
Yeah, I understand . Maybe I can clarify: usually when putting the project in a lower latency mode (i.e. disabling the downstream plugins causing high latency, and so on, be it automatic or manual), you are doing it because the signal you are most interested in hearing is the instrument you are currently recording, and performing on. Instruments themselves don't inherently have a lot of latency when played in realtime - as such a product, an instrument where you have to wait a bit before you hear the action you made, wouldn't be very successful

The amount of latency, in turn, doesn't correlate with CPU load these days, and it's not about "best practices" in avoiding CPU heavy plugins early or late in a project and such. It's much more often a product of the algorithms used, the necessary lookahead and pre-processing functions therein, and you can't make them low latency just by lowering the overall CPU load. Latency is just a part of the way the whole thing operates, then, and instruments don't tend to use such algorithms as a part of their realtime sound generation for above reasons. Still, instruments come in varieties of CPU hungriness, heh, and a very CPU intensive instrument (think Repro 5, for example) is still a low-latency one - so that you can actually play it and record your performance in realtime.

So even if you disable all plugins that cause long latency in one go, chances of accidentally disabling the instrument you are performing on (and interested in hearing while recording) are pretty slim.

[Edit: corrected "upstream" to "downstream", just haven't woken up properly yet ]

Last edited by Lunar Ladder; 11-13-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:09 AM   #36
ivansc

Just very happy I dont have to deal with stuff like this in my projects. If I did I am pretty sure I would find a better way to deal with it.
And as for those VSTi never having high latency, I have dumped a fair few instruments over the years for that and other issues.

I often see threads like this come up and think "Whuuut??" to myself

- then wish I could be teleported to the guy/guyess with the problem`s house so I could see their setup and try & find alternate ways of making things right.

I still find it hard to believe that some of the problems cited on here are THAT intractable that a seemingly major FR is needed to fix them.
Frustrating for the OP and the rest of us in many ways.
Hopefully this one WILL get resolved to everyones satisfaction.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:19 AM   #37
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
I still find it hard to believe that some of the problems cited on here are THAT intractable that a seemingly major FR is needed to fix them.
I wouldn't use the feature myself. Personally, I don't feel the need to do this automatically, and I very seldom use high latency stuff while I actually perform/record. Still, my own needs aren't the needs of everyone , and I can see how this could be nifty in a different workflow, so I was commenting on some misleading remarks and simply misunderstandings that were taking away from what the OP actually proposed.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #38
Miul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
I wouldn't use the feature myself. Personally, I don't feel the need to do this automatically, and I very seldom use high latency stuff while I actually perform/record. Still, my own needs aren't the needs of everyone , and I can see how this could be nifty in a different workflow, so I was commenting on some misleading remarks and simply misunderstandings that were taking away from what the OP actually proposed.
It is simple: you have already open lots of plugin and some of them are pretty heavy on latency and you need to record some more. You use this automatic function without the need of a manual search and you're done.
In my 20 years experience with this functionality I've never once come across in a situation where the performance was compromised by it.
Otherwise not only Mpv would have not written it, but also logic, studio one, cubase,,,,,,,,,

But as he did it, what is the purpose in keeping debating about it? Just try it if it happens to be in such condition an see yourself wether it is useful for your or not.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM   #39
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
It is simple: you have already open lots of plugin and some of them are pretty heavy on latency and you need to record some more. You use this automatic function without the need of a manual search and you're done.
In my 20 years experience with this functionality I've never once come across in a situation where the performance was compromised by it.
Otherwise not only Mpv would have not written it, but also logic, studio one, cubase,,,,,,,,,
Yep, that's my reasoning as well, it's nifty and clearly works and I can see how it can be really useful even if I don't happen to need it myself
Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #40
Shufflehound

Once I start introducing latency-inducing plugins, but I still want to record more stuff, I import my project (using Add Media) into a new project to make a sub-project. Saves up loads of CPU and reduces latency a tonne.
Shufflehound is offline   Reply With Quote