COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > Wifight Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default New! wifight.prc version 0.25 - now with player order configurability

New in 0.25: player order is now configurable in the new game screen. Should be pretty easy to figure out, but if not, let me know!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Dan
up here in my tree

hell yeah cut me off a slice of that wifight please

i cannot stop playing this thing
Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

Brennan

I keep discovering all the neat additions youve made to the website- only now found the lists of win/loss records for each particular game. I guess youre building up to making these part of the within-wifight browser?

A coupla things:

* I notice that the lists are not very accurate - for boxes for example, it only shows me having won one game, and having lost none. I know that the numbers in both those categories should be higher.

* Do games played against chessbot count?

cheers

geoff
Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

- There may be (probably will be) a within-wifight browser at some point but I haven't started on it yet. I have read the html lib docs a bit in preparation though.

- That may be because the website didn't show subgames. i.e. Boxes 3x3,4x4,5x5,6x6. The original name was just Boxes and that's the stats you're probably seeing. That's getting worked on right now. The other problem is that win/loss data was wrong for a while there due to a bug. We might have to do a stats reset when we hit beta. Also very early games have no win/loss record at all.

- Games played against chessbot count. He will get a ranking like any other player (when rankings come to town.) I'm wondering what kind of ranking he'll get, actually. Bspooky said he was too easy whereas I tend to get crushed pretty quickly.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Nithya

Games played against one's own self should probably not count towards stats. Right now it looks like such a game increases both your win and loss counts by 1 each. Seems like this would lead to incorrect rankings.

It's fun to watch games in progress tho. Are you planning on allowing us to spectate games from the app itself with the next release, Brennan?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
trgeoff

hehe, yes we could also create other nicks and beat the hell out of them to raise our "ratings". But anyway so far all the people on wifight have been such a fair & friendly bunch. Quite a change if you try playing on yahoo, that's a psychological ordeal if ever there was one.

Basu: a suggestion for the to-do list: in checkers particularly (and perhaps in boxes) would it be possible to add an ongoing count of pieces (or boxes) captured, a la chess?

cheers

geoff
Old 05-18-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Nithya

Haha, nah, I wasn't suggesting that anyone was going to try to unfairly raise their ranking. But I've noticed (thanks to the new and improved website) that a lot of people play against themselves, prolly just to practice or kill time or whatever. I just thought it would probably be better to leave those games out of the stats. 'Tis Brennan's call.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
trgeoff

Wink

yes I think youre totally right Nithya. I use to play v myself for exactly that reason- ie learning the system. They shouldnt count.

I hadnt realised that and now I think I know why I have so many checkers losses!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Brennan
hey man

nithya: yep, in-client spectating is what I'm doin. I'll have a version ready to test soon I hope.

Single player games probably should not count towards your stats/ranking.

trgeoff: checkers captured piece count - good idea.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #10
trgeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
nithya: yep, in-client spectating is what I'm doin. I'll have a version ready to test soon I hope.
wow, spectating will be tres, tres cool.

really curious to see how it will work. Will you be able to rotate the view of a game for example?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Brennan
hey man

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgeoff View Post
wow, spectating will be tres, tres cool.

really curious to see how it will work. Will you be able to rotate the view of a game for example?
Yep, it will be almost exactly like how it is now for the games you already are playing. View rotating, game details screen, etc.

The next thing that I need to do for it is make sure you get turn updates, like when you're playing the game right now.

It's been pretty cool to mess with, even without automatic updating, just to see what other people are doing.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
trgeoff

Quote:
It's been pretty cool to mess with, even without automatic updating, just to see what other people are doing.
hehe, I had been thinking that you were spectating via on the web. I didnt realise it was as advanced as this! it should make people stay ariund longer online, if they havent got a game going themselves.

Have you thought about a built-in help file? Wifight is getting so many features now, it might be confusing for noobs!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Brennan
hey man

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgeoff View Post
hehe, I had been thinking that you were spectating via on the web. I didnt realise it was as advanced as this! it should make people stay ariund longer online, if they havent got a game going themselves.

Have you thought about a built-in help file? Wifight is getting so many features now, it might be confusing for noobs!
Yeah, I sure hope so! Watching other peoples' games is pretty fun actually. I kind of wish I hadn't tried to make it so advanced (yet) since it's needing a bunch more polish before it can be launched but it'll be worth it I'm sure. And the website isn't going anywhere of course.

Wow, a help file? Is wifight really so advanced? That's kind of an awesome milestone for me. I always feel like wifight is a bit sparse on features. I guess it's finally maturing a little.

I like the idea of a built-in help file. I'm not really sure what to put in there but it's not too hard to display a text file. Alternately, the help could send em to the wiki. It's still ultra-basic stuff on there but it's a wiki, so it's wide open to user suggestions/editing. Hint, hint.

ps Here's a peek at the checkers captured pieces display. Any feedback before it goes live?
Attached Images
File Type: png checkers-captured-pieces-example.png (7.7 KB, 397 views)
Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Nithya

An actual count of captured pieces would be nice, I think. For those of us who are too lazy to do the counting ourselves.

Will you be implementing a similar count for boxes as well? It would be really useful for 5x5 and 6x6 boxes.

Can't wait to try out in-client spectating! Will all ongoing games be listed and we get to add the ones we want to watch to our games list, or do spectated games get their own separate list?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #15
Brennan
hey man

Heh, ok, I'll add an actual numbered count. I'm in favor of letting the computer do the work as a general principle. I want to add a count to boxes too but unfortunately I forgot to leave any extra space in the gamefield for it. I'll figure something out.

Ongoing games will be listed in their own little browser popup screen and once you hit 'Spectate' it will download the turns and then be available alongside your regular games in the main game list.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
trgeoff

Quote:
Ongoing games will be listed in their own little browser popup screen and once you hit 'Spectate' it will download the turns and then be available alongside your regular games in the main game list.
That sounds excellent, Basu, this really adds an exciting new dimension. Will we be getting sound/vibrate alerts for moves in those games as well?

Help-file: I think inline help is much better than being directed to the wiki. (but i do get The Hint -- Promise ill do something there!!)

One of the things that make me think a help file is needed is how often noobs post "hello?" in the chat screen, sometimes many times over a course of days, unaware apparently that:

* it is currently fairly rare to overlap with others if you just login for a minute or so.

* the screen hiliting tells you if a recently-posting member is currently online.

* games generally proceed at a leisurely pace over days versus the rapid pattern of play people are most accustomed to from their experience of full browser based game sites

I somehow think we lose many people that way. If they could read (amongst other things of course) about typical chatting/play patterns in a (context-sensitive?) help-file, and understand that its not like yahoo with thousands online at a time, they might not get discouraged (if that is indeed occurring).

Checkers piece-count: Yeah i agree with Nithya, those overlapping pieces take a bit of time to compute! I would suggest either:

* smaller icons for the pieces such that they could be shown non-overlapping. That would be aesthetically appealing and allow rapid evaluation.

* or something like you use for pawns in chess: eg 6 x graphic-for-non-king, 3 x graphic-for-king. Even more rapid, but not so visually attractive.

cheers

geoff

Last edited by trgeoff; 05-22-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #17
trgeoff

One more question re help-file:

if there was a link in, say,the "About" menu to all the help file contents, would it be possible for subsections of that to also be available in some sort of context-sensitive mode, without this duplicating the memory load of the text as it appears in the help-file in its entirety? It would be nice if it was similar to adding anchors in a html page

cheers

geoff
Old 05-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
Brennan
hey man

Spectate games will get alert beeps like regular games. I think. I still need to build out the server side.

You're totally right that brand-new people could probably use some tips up front on the wifight experience. A welcome/help text that popped up the first time online would probably really help. Or at least was available as a menu item. The blank games list screen is probably fairly confusing. The points you listed would be good to get across at the beginning. Maybe we can hash out the text contents in another thread or something.

Checkers captured piece display: I tried putting a little numeric count on there, but I didn't like it much. I'll try shrinking the captured pieces and making them not overlapped (as neat as that looks) next.

Help text table of contents/anchoring: That seems doable. I'll have to think on how to implement that. It wouldn't be too hard to have multiple help menu items jump to different sections I think.