Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Would this work for 'Gain Staging' my microphone?

Hi:

I am recording vocals using a Behringer B-1 condenser MIC in my apartment. Because I am in my house I get lots of 'room noise', meaning things like the sound of the motor running of my refrigerator, as well as what I can only call the 'buzz' of the room that I get if the gain on the MIC preamp is turned up too high.

So, my idea was to turn the gain of the preamp down enough to eliminate this room noise and that signal would be sent to a track called Vox 1.

I then want to send Vox 1 to a track called Vox 2 and then gain stage the Vox 2 track. I would then send Vox 2 to my Reverb track.

Would this be a good idea to help eliminate this 'room noise', or does anyone have a better idea?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
karbomusic

You are just turning it down then turning it up again without fixing anything. Years ago when I had that problem, I'd unplug the fridge - while not forgetting to plug it back in.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
capitalk

You may need to either:
-Buy a more directional mic (dynamic mics “generally” have a better off axis edge rejection)
-Buy a “vocal booth screen” like this https://djcity.com.au/product/se-ele...SABEgLtgvD_BwE
-Move the mic to a different room
-move the mic into a wardrobe/cupboard

If the mic is figure 8 polar response, you can point the null (side) at the noise to reduce (may not help in your case)

As karbo states, you won’t fix it by turning down the gain, once you EQ/compress/level mix, the noise will still be there.

Best of luck
capitalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
poetnprophet

Agreed, solve as much background noise as you can. Nothing you do after signal hits the microphone will really fix any unwanted noise so try to correct it first. Things like reverb, compression and saturation will only exacerbate the room noises.

Turn off anything that makes noise that isn't part of the recording process.
Move the mic as far away from any necessary noises...but away from corners. If you have to use a corner, tape/tack/staple blanks on the walls in the corner. And/or hang a blanket in front if your mic.

And, why do you have to gain stage twice? Mic signal to Vox 1, set gain accordingly as needed and send from there to verb/etc?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Philbo King

What those guys said. After you've done what you can do, normalize it to -23 LUFS, and use the subtract mode of ReaFIR to clean up whatever noise is left.