Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
bmanic
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin UI following track selection, is there a way?

What I'd like to achieve:

Mixing a record using only a channel strip plugin (in my case the Plugin Alliance SSL 4k E channel). I'd like to have one channel strip plugin open at all times and have the plugin/plugin UI change according to what channel I have selected in Reaper.

Example: I click on my KICK track and the corresponding SSL plugin on that track is automatically opened and shown. Then without closing the plugin I select a different track, for instance the SNARE track, and the plugin UI would now change to show the SSL plugin on that track.

Is this possible through some magic scripts or SWS extensions?

I'd have the SSL plugin in the first slot of the inserts/plugin chain.. on all tracks. So Reaper or the script only has to know that it always opens the first plugin UI every time I click on a track.

I thought this kind of mixing would be quite interesting.
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #2
Tiggerdyret

Kenny makes a keyboard shortcut that opens fx, but you could make a custom action and map it to a mouse modifier upon clicking a track.
Make the command like he makes it and maybe try and add a close all floating fxs, before the many close/open fx. This will make it, so every time you click on another track the previous open tracks will close.
If you just make the command like he does, you might end up with a lot of open windows, and would have to click again on the selected track to close all open fxs for that track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb-sEdXGGCc
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #3
puddi

I made a quick action that you can try:

SWS/S&M: Close all floating FX windows

SWS/S&M: Float FX 1 for selected tracks

Then you can just tie it to Track control panel and/or Mixer control panel - double click mouse modifiers. Problem is that the FX windows seem to open kind of randomly and not always in the center but I didn't find a good action for that so maybe someone can help with this.

Another way is to enable "Only allow one FX chain window open at a time" and "Open track FX window on track selection change" under Preferences > Plug-ins although that opens the plugins in the ugly FX chain window which might not be what you want.

Last edited by puddi; 07-16-2018 at 09:19 AM.
puddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
What I'd like to achieve:

Mixing a record using only a channel strip plugin (in my case the Plugin Alliance SSL 4k E channel). I'd like to have one channel strip plugin open at all times and have the plugin/plugin UI change according to what channel I have selected in Reaper.

Example: I click on my KICK track and the corresponding SSL plugin on that track is automatically opened and shown. Then without closing the plugin I select a different track, for instance the SNARE track, and the plugin UI would now change to show the SSL plugin on that track.

Is this possible through some magic scripts or SWS extensions?

I'd have the SSL plugin in the first slot of the inserts/plugin chain.. on all tracks. So Reaper or the script only has to know that it always opens the first plugin UI every time I click on a track.

I thought this kind of mixing would be quite interesting.
I only have to click once to open one plugin
And after that..any track i select..its plugin
Chain dialog is opened..and the previous one is
Closed....ad infinitum...until i close
Reaper. These are the settings...

Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
karbomusic

^Those last 3 or 4 checkboxes are the ones the OP wants. On each track selection change, the active track's VST chain window will replace the previous one's if the correct settings are enabled.