Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #81
kaneyking
Human being with feelings

anyone knows if there is a way normalise to xxLFUS and Truepeack at the same time.

I am about to try the two diferent scripts by no-fish for LFUS and TP but i guess if i normalise first the LFUS and then the TP values for LFUS (or the other way around) values of the precedent normalization will be changed? no?

So i guess, i am looking for normalization of both LUFS and TP at the same time if this exist (like nugen LM correct plug)

thanks in advance
kaneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #82
MRMJP

I don't see how you could do both without altering the dynamics.

I could see have a LUFS normalize script with a MAX TRUE PEAK reading with some kind of limiter appleid to prevent true peaks over a certain value.

But if you wanted to make the LUFS be -14 and the true peak exactly -3dB for example, there is no way to have both without some kind of dynamics processing involved.

I guess for my scripts I don't care about the true peak because I run this at the start of my mastering sessions to get all the songs on the same page before I start mastering.

I would personally just use the existing script and then get the Tokyo Dawn Records Limiter 6 GE plugin to control the true-peak levels.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #83
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneyking View Post
anyone knows if there is a way normalise to xxLFUS and Truepeack at the same time.

I am about to try the two diferent scripts by no-fish for LFUS and TP but i guess if i normalise first the LFUS and then the TP values for LFUS (or the other way around) values of the precedent normalization will be changed? no?

So i guess, i am looking for normalization of both LUFS and TP at the same time if this exist (like nugen LM correct plug)

thanks in advance
MRMJP is right, you can't normalize to both. One is a momentary peak measurement and the other is an integrated/program averaged measurement. Probably the best you could do would be to normalise first to LUFS then run some analysis to tell you if and where the audio is exceeding -3 dBTP. Then either a limiter or a manual mix change can fix those spots. I think some meters have automatic logging like that and perhaps some scripts drop markers and such. I should know but since I'm usually mixing for -23 or -24 it is exceedingly rare I even get close to the dBTP limit and usually obvious where the high point is.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #84
kaneyking

ok i understrand thanks guys, i am asking that as i am doing mixing to netflix specs which are -23 and -3tp.

is there a jsfx limiter that can do true peak limiting?

thanks
kaneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 AM   #85
airon

The last time I checked the specs, Netflix is -24LKFS which is identical to -24 LUFS(I checked with lots of approved mixes).

-2dbTP . In other words it’s 1db below EBU R128.

If you want to be sure, get the most recent Spec. The requirement hasn’t changed from the last time I checked, and my mixes are passing QC.

Sidenote, I use Voxengo Elephant, which can do 4x oversampled limiting.

I think one of the least expensive Truepeak limiters may be Barricade by Toneboosters, with its ISP mode. Don’t know if it does channel-coupled 6-channel limiting though.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #86
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Mochachino, please

Meanwhile, MeldaProduction's MLoudnessAnalyzer does a good job:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/BUTuZcH.png

(1) set the target level
(2) drop your files onto the [Batch Auto-gain button] and confirm that the files will be overwritten
(3) check the results

And here are the 'before' and 'after' waveforms and loudness levels in MMultiAnalyzer.

>>> https://i.imgur.com/gWeP2Ss.png

Check the orange line in particular - running very close to 0 LU.
This is cool. I might assign this as my external wave editor & see if I can use it to normalize from within Reaper...
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #87
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I think one of the least expensive Truepeak limiters may be Barricade by Toneboosters, with its ISP mode. Don’t know if it does channel-coupled 6-channel limiting though.
I use it and V4 does. It actually does up to 16-channels to cover 3rd order ambisonics and the strict channel based atmos as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #88
airon

Thank you, that's good to know.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #89
Travesty

Quote:
The last time I checked the specs, Netflix is -24LKFS which is identical to -24 LUFS(I checked with lots of approved mixes).
I believe LKFS and is the same as LUFS except that it implies you calibrated your room using the K system
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #90
airon

It's been a few years since I read this. The K-system comes from Bob Katz iirc. It had nothing to do with loudness measurement from what I could find. Bob actually recommended changing to loudness measurement at some point.

LKFS was based on the first ITU 1770 spec, which describes the loudness measurement method. The EBU R128 recommendation built itself around that measurement standard and added the gate functionality, which is now part of the ITU spec (1770-3 iirc and we're at 1770-4 now).

Btw, Nofish did some scripts to measure short term max and other stuff. That ought to be neat to add to the SWS Loudness functionality, if it isn't already in there somewhere. That kind of stuff is probably neat for normalizing a whole bunch of shorter items.

Last edited by airon; 07-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 AM   #91
airon

One more thing. Netflix specifically bases the LKFS measurement on the 1770-3 spec, which makes it identical to LUFS. At least that's my educated guess backed up by lots of measurements.

Last edited by airon; 07-20-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #92
Luster

If I remember correctly Bob Katz idea with K-system was also that you work with a constant listening volume/loudness. So you need to calibrate it to your speakers...
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #93
plush2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I believe LKFS and is the same as LUFS except that it implies you calibrated your room using the K system
The K in LKFS is referring to the K-weighting applied to the meter reading. It easy to see why it would be confused with the Bob Katz K system, especially since both push for similar workflows using calibrated monitor levels and averaged loudness measurements.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #94
Travesty

Oh ok, I'm not sure where I read that.

Yes the k system is a way to calibrate your monitors to a standard volume, so you know it will play at the same level on anyone else's system who are also using your chosen k value
Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #95
Travesty

I use the nofish max momentary script a lot. Its the best way I've found to get large amounts of assets to a similar volume. Though it is still essentially a hack really.

We really need someone to make some sort of machine learning ai which can make all your sfx the same volume, as a human would perceive them, no matter how long they are.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #96
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
We really need someone to make some sort of machine learning ai which can make all your sfx the same volume, as a human would perceive them, no matter how long they are.
If this was straightforward to do it would probably be the current Loudness measurement standard already.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #97
SubbaseDnB

where do i find this?when i try to copy into reapack i get a invalid file?
SubbaseDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:41 AM   #98
SubbaseDnB

Anyone???
Old 01-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #99
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Anyone???
Find what?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #100
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Find what?
your script for this
Old 01-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #101
Silventar

Default +1

+1

I normalize loudness by LUFS on all tracks before mixing using the SWS extensions as well. So far I have never had any issues, but this seems like it should be native instead of an extension.
Silventar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #102
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Thanks to nofish, this is no longer needed and now available in ReaPack.

where do i get this?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #103
SubbaseDnB

got it now
Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #104
MRMJP

Ah, sorry I was a little slow the last few days.

Once again I don't remember how it was fully configured but here are some options that may work for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0vrqeeksw...p9nqxa1sFBiZOo
Old 01-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #105
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Ah, sorry I was a little slow the last few days.

Once again I don't remember how it was fully configured but here are some options that may work for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0vrqeeksw...p9nqxa1sFBiZOo

thanks got it working.could you explain abit more in detail how you use this.

i think i will try to figure out a way to use this for my own music,when doing masters for youtube soundcloud etc,that require different levels
Old 01-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #106
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
thanks got it working.could you explain abit more in detail how you use this.

i think i will try to figure out a way to use this for my own music,when doing masters for youtube soundcloud etc,that require different levels
I use this BEFORE I start mastering to get all the songs on the same page with some fine tuning by ear when needed. Normalizing all the songs to the same max short term LUFS typically gets all the songs hitting my analog chain at the same level and intensity which was the goal of this.

I do not use it for anything related to delivering final master files. The streaming services normalize for so you don't have to. Yes you can make more dynamic masters if you want so that you do not destroy the dynamics and transients as much but I see no value in taking a loud master and simply turning it down for YouTube, they will do that for you based on their specs and measurements.
Old 11-14-2021, 02:32 AM   #107
Lophophora

Hi, has item normalization to a target LUFS integrated value been integrated natively yet?
Old 11-15-2021, 04:05 AM   #108
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophophora View Post
Hi, has item normalization to a target LUFS integrated value been integrated natively yet?
I checked. No, that's still the domain of the SWS extension. That has actions to normalize to any LUFS value directly.

What is there are scan actions. For example:

Calculate loudness of selected items, including take and track FX and settings, via dry run render

I generally use the SWS actions to normalize individual items of mixes, in particular mixes of a series. I never do a simple dumb normalization, but scan and adjust and regard the normalization loudness value as an upper limit, which is what they are. For streaming platforms consistency between episodes is more important to me.

I'd use the scan or render-normalization for one-off mixes such as films and documentaries.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:19 AM   #109
ramses

I want to do the following, for initial mix preparation.

1. Normalize track items to specific LUFS (or RMS, don't really care that much). Ideally this would negotiate the trim across all items on one track, in order to prevent gaps in audio influencing the trim too much. Before this step I would strip silence in order to clear up what areas contain useful audio and not.

2. Check to see what tracks go beyond a specific peak loudness (say -5dBFS), and normalize their peaks to a set value -XdBFS.

Is there a way to automate this in some way using presently existing actions and/or scripts?

Thanks.

Last edited by ramses; 11-15-2021 at 07:39 AM.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #110
airon

1. The normalization on an item by item basis can be done with the SWS actions. Easy. Just search for loud norm.

2. Check the little "Normalize/Limit" button on the Render window in Reaper. Reaper itself can normalize renders based on integrated loudness, RMS, peak, truepeak and.... maximum momentary(the shortest) or maximum short term(3 seconds) loudness.

Take your pick.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #111
ramses

Quote:
1. The normalization on an item by item basis can be done with the SWS actions. Easy. Just search for loud norm.

2. Check the little "Normalize/Limit" button on the Render window in Reaper. Reaper itself can normalize renders based on integrated loudness, RMS, peak, truepeak and.... maximum momentary(the shortest) or maximum short term(3 seconds) loudness.

Take your pick.
1. Yes, I'm aware. The thing is I want to do BOTH these things at once, IE, not go through all tracks to see which ones are peaking above -xdBFS in order to normalize them to peak. Do you see? I want to:

- first normalize all tracks to XdB LUFS (or RMS).
- then, normalize all (non-melodic) tracks, that peak above say -5dBFS after LUFS-normalization, drums and percussion mainly, to a set PEAK level below zero dB.

I would ideally want this automated, so that I don't have to individually select which items to normalize to peak and not.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:48 AM   #112
Broken-Form

We need this
Broken-Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 12:34 PM   #113
MRMJP

This has also been added but I don't recall how I'm doing it as it's part of my big setup script.

I'm able to normalize all items to a certain max short-term LUFS which makes the loudest part of each song hit at relatively the same level which to me sounds and feels more natural than using Integrated LUFS.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:35 AM   #114
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
This has also been added but I don't recall how I'm doing it as it's part of my big setup script.

I'm able to normalize all items to a certain max short-term LUFS which makes the loudest part of each song hit at relatively the same level which to me sounds and feels more natural than using Integrated LUFS.
could you try to see where i can find this option?
Old 05-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #115
RJHollins

Yes, but the HEDA Script is really handy for certain portions of a Projects workflow.

I looked at Editing the Script to see what I could find ... nothing there that I could understand :|

Hope HEDA sees and responds !

thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #116
Pashkuli
Banned

Normalise is achievable in a few ways in Reaper.

The normal way could be used for just recorded audio Items. Obviously.
Right click → Item processing → Normalise...
Right click → Item properties → Take section → Normalise...

Actions... keyword: normalise → <related SWS extension or whatever suitable>

How it should work for general use:

Media explorer → right click Import button → choose action (radio button) for the gain value [user input]:

Normalise to:
· RMS [...ms] + [-... dBFS]
· Peaks [-... dBFS]
· LU [Mom.\Shrt\Int.] + [-... dBFS]
· EBU R128 (usualy fixed value -23LUFS)
· source (as is = no action)
(tick) set as default action

Yes, when you select many audio files\source, the import procedure might take a while but it will nevertheless for building the peaks, which maybe is closely related to calculating some of the requested import gain values.

For more info on the request:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=265974
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #117
Broken-Form

Quote:

Could you try and see if you can see how its done.so i can set it up
Broken-Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #118
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken-Form View Post
We need this
You have it, check action list.