Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default I added a video too

Boy will that threadname look silly once the threads reshuffle.

I sort of revisited my old tune, adding a new guitar line and editing together a video. The plan was to finally use the real voice of my guitar with lipstick pickups. Until now I attempted to mellow (or distort) it out so it sounded more like it has humbuckers. So I browsed the amp models I have on my computer and found one, which emulates Silvertone 1484 amp and sounded the coolest with the guitar to me, in a spanky oldschool way. Coincidentally, it (I mean the amp not the plugin) was designed the same guy who designed Danelectro guitars.

Anyway, IMO gives pretty sweet, glassy dynamic sound which I normally avoided. I'm suspending my plan to convert the guitar to hum cancelling, will assign it to low gain operations from now on. Here's "Permanent", 20/20 edition:

Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
Dimaension X

I notice a lot of guitarists (myself included) are beginning to focus more on composition and guitar riffs and parts rather than solos and shredding. Let the other instruments take on more importance in the music, and let the guitar be a part of the "band" as a contributor to the song.

I like this approach more now as I get older, and my soloing skills are beginning to fade (due to age and lack of use).

You get a thumbs up.
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
zeekat

Well I had a plan to learn to shred aeons ago but turned out my fingers couldn't follow. And now yeah, I don't care about shred that much either, must've overdosed Dream Theater at some point(altough current wave of shredders has some unprecedented skill and talent there).
Old 02-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
sammydix

Spaced me out, and the video fits to a T.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Eyyyy Zeek, finally got around to checking out your work. That was very soothing and atmospheric, great work!

No offense to your guitar playing, but I did find the end the most captivating, after the guitar dropped out. Just wasn't noticing a lot of the atmospheric sounds until then and the bass/drum groove is a nice contrast, but throughout the song the guitar was taking most of my attention.

Btw, where did you find all that trippy old footage? Worked really well with the track.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
zeekat

Sometimes I open a project, think "that sounds kinda cool without guitar", but I always have that feeling the guitar is the only instrument I can articulate anything on and it will sound empty if I depend on my, um, utilitary, bass and keyboard skillz. I'm trying not sound like just a guy with a computer too much I guess. Gives me food for thought tho . BTW there's guitar in the ending section too, one layer of the "pad" is strings rubbed with a butter knife(with no butter).

Vid is mostly cut from the couple of sixties documentaries I found on archive.org - "Above the Horizon" and "The Image of The City".