Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
catalin
Human being with feelings

Default Routing external hardware

Hi guys,

I intend to buy a Neve Shelford channel and i want to make sure i understood how to route it in Reaper.
My sound card is Audient ID22.
So using reaInsert i choose hardware send left - output 3 from my ID22 and hardware return right - return 1 from ID22 (straight into the converter). After i am satisfied with the sound i hit online render for that track to print it?
Another method will be to use I/O box from the track and choose Hardware out 3 and input 1 on the ID22 and hit record output to print the track.
Are there any advantages of one method over the other?
Thanks!
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:16 AM   #2
somebodyelseuk

It's s bit early here... it sounds about right.
I think, if you use the 'I/O approach' you'll hear the latency both live and (possibly) in your render, whereas when you use the 'ReaInsert method', the latency is/should be calculated and compensated for by Reaper. Note: once you've rencered the send, disable Reainsert or it will continue to compensate and you'll hear your render in front of the rest of the project... I think.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
catalin

Thanks a lot!

I was thinking about latency. So it seems the reainsert is the solution
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
Hi guys,

I intend to buy a Neve Shelford channel and i want to make sure i understood how to route it in Reaper.
My sound card is Audient ID22.
So using reaInsert i choose hardware send left - output 3 from my ID22 and hardware return right - return 1 from ID22 (straight into the converter). After i am satisfied with the sound i hit online render for that track to print it?
Another method will be to use I/O box from the track and choose Hardware out 3 and input 1 on the ID22 and hit record output to print the track.
Are there any advantages of one method over the other?
Thanks!
I'd also recommend using ReaInsert (offering latency compensation). Once all of its i/o routing is set up and I finish tweaking the sound on the external device, I'm setting Reaper's recording mode to "record in time selection". Then, I use a correspondig action to have the time selection exactly match the length of the source item and then I record the processed sound into the source item as a new take. This way, I can later toggle between the original and the processed take easily or even record several takes, each tweaked with slightly different settings. To make sure that you can record into the source item, you need to set the track's record mode to "output: mono", "output: stereo" or "output: multichannel" and also tick the option "Monitor track media when recording".
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
catalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'd also recommend using ReaInsert (offering latency compensation). Once all of its i/o routing is set up and I finish tweaking the sound on the external device, I'm setting Reaper's recording mode to "record in time selection". Then, I use a correspondig action to have the time selection exactly match the length of the source item and then I record the processed sound into the source item as a new take. This way, I can later toggle between the original and the processed take easily or even record several takes, each tweaked with slightly different settings. To make sure that you can record into the source item, you need to set the track's record mode to "output: mono", "output: stereo" or "output: multichannel" and also tick the option "Monitor track media when recording".
Thank you for all the info!