Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default Reorder midi notes for drum editing

Like the subject says, I would really appreciate being able to rearrange the way the different drum articulations appear in the midi editor (not how they are mapped to the instrument). So I could group my kicks together, then the snares, and the hats, etc. As it is it's driving me batty looking for some 30+ hihat articulations all over the piano roll.

It could either be implemented by allowing the user to drag the different articulations to the place they want them, or possibly better change the notename file to include the visual position in addition to midi note number and description.

For me this is one of the few things missing for making the midi editor complete as regards midi drum editing.

Would be very much appreciated to get this feature for the upcoming 3.0 release.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
DarkStar

I'm not too sure I understand.

Can you post a "before" and "after" example / mock-up showing what you're looking for?

And which Drums instrument are you using?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Chris_P_Critter

You mean rearranging the notes in the midi editor / piano roll, to group non-sequential notes with one and other.

Rough example here: note 1 and note 14 can be next to each other, as opposed to be being 14 notes away from each other.

I like it!

+1
Chris_P_Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
digitaldeath

As I understood it - he'd like to be able to reorder the piano roll, so it gets a +1 from me!
digitaldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Jack Winter

What I'd like is to have my 30+ hihat articulations grouped together and not spread out among the different 128 midi notes.

Here is a mockup of how it works now with notenames loaded, notice how they are all mixed together (due to historical reasons): https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/364584/snapshot16.png

And here is another showing the hihat articulations grouped together (in no specific order): https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/364587/snapshot17.png

Hope my request is easier understood now
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
dug dog

+1 to this FR.

I downloaded Reaper 2 weeks ago and have spent many hours putting it through its paces. I'm very impressed and would like to make it my main DAW, but this missing feature is pretty much the only thing holding me back.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Delucci

News about this feature? I love Reaper but I miss the drum editor from Cubase, much clearer to the eye. Kick drum as first note, Snare as second..
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Lokasenna

No news. Slightly more current FR thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=166878