Old 07-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
onewayout
Human being with feelings

Default Drummers with this snare

Or can possibly record a snare close to this sample PLZ? (in 48k if possible) (-:

Thx, jeff

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ohfh8owmb...AU38iz83a?dl=0
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Or can possibly record a snare close to this sample PLZ? (in 48k if possible) (-:

Thx, jeff

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ohfh8owmb...AU38iz83a?dl=0
That snare has a lot of nice snap to it. Check out this SMDrums snare, it's got quite a bit of snap too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...ew?usp=sharing
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
That snare has a lot of nice snap to it. Check out this SMDrums snare, it's got quite a bit of snap too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...ew?usp=sharing
Thx Todd Will do!! How's things?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
vChip

You may find what you are looking for at a place called drum werks.

http://drumwerks.com

They are very reasonably priced and you can listen to them in advance.

They have some really good quality drum samples with several different velocities. I like to blend them with my drums to get an extra little crack from the snare when needed.
vChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
fred garvin

Quote:
Yah nice. Take that dry, pitch down a little, add a shorter darker tight gated reverb I think you'd have it, or close as.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Are there some new gated reverb plugins finally?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Lol yah dunno, maybe the 80s are coming back... TBH I don't use reverb that much so I'm perhaps being imprecise or incorrect. Point I was trying to make is I hear a short dark reverb as an essential part of that sound. Maybe that can be done in the reverb but I don't hear decay in the reverb so made me think gate or ADSR of some kind.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

bummer, you had my hopes up

Still waiting on so much reverb DSP from the late 80's to 90's to show up in VST...We have as good or many times, better DSP in VST for most everything else, but jeez, why is it so hard to get DSP from last century, milenium?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Hey pipe, why not just gate a verb yourself? I've never done it myself, just haven't had the need for it, but with all the
great reverbs and IRs we have available today, it should be relatively easy. Heh heh, I think.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayout View Post
Thx Todd Will do!! How's things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Yah nice. Take that dry, pitch down a little, add a shorter darker tight gated reverb I think you'd have it, or close as.
Here's the snare if you want it, I created this for SMDrums. It's got 2 RRs with each having 32 layers. It's dry and I
always use verb with it. Actually a good "small wood room" IR works well with it. I especially like an IR that was part
of SMM's free IRs called "Ambient" I think it was. It's a short IR that kind of brings out the body more.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wMv...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #11
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Hey pipe, why not just gate a verb yourself? I've never done it myself, just haven't had the need for it, but with all the
great reverbs and IRs we have available today, it should be relatively easy. Heh heh, I think.
I have to do it with IR's

Some of them like SIR2 let you do it pretty nicely and its actually more "period correct"

Except for the very earliest examples, where people actually were gating the reverb output based on a sidechain from the input, most of the iconic gated sounds came from DSP that actually didn't gate, it created the sound of the gated reverb by modifying the tail. You can really hear the era change if its something like a roll, where the actual gate method would just sound like a regular reverb until the last stick was struck, whereas the sound we associate with "gated reverbs" has the tail cut off on each hit.

There were some DSP units that still did use a gate, and even ones with multiple generators that would gate each over threshold even uniquely, but mostly when I think of gated reverb, I think of the tail control type. Overloud's BReverb did the reflection/tail style, I think

Even though it wasn't one of the devices in question, because the user manual was so explicit, I really always love to show budding reverb developers the section of the Digitech GSP2101 or TSR 24 manual that details "Ultimate Reverb". The digitech guys really did make the most possible use of their access to the DSP of their sister companies on Harman and really outdid themselves. The parameter and explanation list on that thing is a goldmine compilation of so much of the available DSP at the time in one, single, unified, and clearly explained place
Old 07-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
I have to do it with IR's

Some of them like SIR2 let you do it pretty nicely and its actually more "period correct"

Except for the very earliest examples, where people actually were gating the reverb output based on a sidechain from the input, most of the iconic gated sounds came from DSP that actually didn't gate, it created the sound of the gated reverb by modifying the tail. You can really hear the era change if its something like a roll, where the actual gate method would just sound like a regular reverb until the last stick was struck, whereas the sound we associate with "gated reverbs" has the tail cut off on each hit.

There were some DSP units that still did use a gate, and even ones with multiple generators that would gate each over threshold even uniquely, but mostly when I think of gated reverb, I think of the tail control type. Overloud's BReverb did the reflection/tail style, I think

Even though it wasn't one of the devices in question, because the user manual was so explicit, I really always love to show budding reverb developers the section of the Digitech GSP2101 or TSR 24 manual that details "Ultimate Reverb". The digitech guys really did make the most possible use of their access to the DSP of their sister companies on Harman and really outdid themselves. The parameter and explanation list on that thing is a goldmine compilation of so much of the available DSP at the time in one, single, unified, and clearly explained place
Do you have any audio references of what you're talking about pipelineaudio? I think remember the sound you're talking about.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I think Judas Priest’s turbo was kind of and iconic one, but tons of 80’s pop, I’ll see if I can look it up...I think for the other style I read that the Phil Collins one was an actual gate, but he doesn’t really do the types of fast rolls or fills that would make it super obvious. Pretty sure quiet riot 3 was the type where it’s reflection and tail envelopes to make it sound like a gate
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
suleiman

Quote:
I think Judas Priest’s turbo was kind of and iconic one, but tons of 80’s pop, I’ll see if I can look it up...I think for the other style I read that the Phil Collins one was an actual gate, but he doesn’t really do the types of fast rolls or fills that would make it super obvious. Pretty sure quiet riot 3 was the type where it’s reflection and tail envelopes to make it sound like a gate
Ahahah the turbo snare is all kindsa awesomeness......

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
JohnnyMusic

Default Drumwerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vChip View Post
You may find what you are looking for at a place called drum werks.

http://drumwerks.com

They are very reasonably priced and you can listen to them in advance.

They have some really good quality drum samples with several different velocities. I like to blend them with my drums to get an extra little crack from the snare when needed.
I'm not very experienced with drum samples, so I don't know how good the drumwerks ones are sound quality wise, but I downloaded some of their drum kits, and some of the samples actually have peoples voices in them, which I thought was really unprofessional, since I paid for these samples. I believe it was in some of the mapex kit or another kit that was nashville kit (even though that wasn't the name of the kit I paid for) samples.. Yeah they are pretty cheap but c'mon, can't you stop talking long enough to record a kick hit?

Last edited by JohnnyMusic; 07-13-2018 at 09:29 PM.
JohnnyMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #16
DeathByGuitar

Try this and see what you think. I recorded a few one shot hits at 127 velocity. Came from the Superior Drummer Avatar library.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esgeoxsj2b...etest.wav?dl=0

This one is with the rest of the mics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvv8jir167...test2.wav?dl=0

Probably should have done them at 48k like you said but see if you like the sounds of those and i can re-render if need be
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #17
JamesPeters

Quote:
I think for the other style I read that the Phil Collins one was an actual gate,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxz6jShW-3E

I have Vox in my feed and I saw this video recently. Interesting history of that sound. It describes it well enough (how it was first done) that you should be able to set up that kind of thing with that approach in mind: room verb (maybe impulse-driven in ReaVerb) with heavy compression and gate.

It's a sound I have no interest in replicating since I don't want to relive the 80s. So I've never bothered to try it. But it seems simple enough with that info.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #18
pipelineaudio
Mortal

When I talk about gated reverbs, its not the actual gate created type that I'm usually looking for, I'm looking for the other DSP created tail type...Its often subtle, but even over the top versions don't sound like that, I think Anything in Fight War of Words snare you can hear the style the eventide does, it doesnt actually gate the reverb, its just how the tail is shaped
Old 07-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

I have Vox in my feed and I saw this video recently. Interesting history of that sound. It describes it well enough (how it was first done) that you should be able to set up that kind of thing with that approach in mind: room verb (maybe impulse-driven in ReaVerb) with heavy compression and gate.

It's a sound I have no interest in replicating since I don't want to relive the 80s. So I've never bothered to try it. But it seems simple enough with that info.
Thanks James, that was very interesting. Actually I think it's more like an expander then a gate, although a compressor
might do it. I don't have the time right now but it would be interesting to do a little experimenting. For myself, like
you, I've never really cared for that sound and I've never recorded a band that wanted it or asked for it. But after hearing
it I remember it well.

Quote:
When I talk about gated reverbs, its not the actual gate created type that I'm usually looking for, I'm looking for the other DSP created tail type...Its often subtle, but even over the top versions don't sound like that, I think Anything in Fight War of Words snare you can hear the style the eventide does, it doesnt actually gate the reverb, its just how the tail is shaped
See if you can't come up with something pipe, I'd be interested in any ideas for our next SMDrums.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

Yes very cool vid James, thx!

Just for my mind, do you guys hear gated reverb on that snare? I was definitely trying to use some gate and comp....
Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
onewayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
Try this and see what you think. I recorded a few one shot hits at 127 velocity. Came from the Superior Drummer Avatar library.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/esgeoxsj2b...etest.wav?dl=0

This one is with the rest of the mics

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvv8jir167...test2.wav?dl=0

Probably should have done them at 48k like you said but see if you like the sounds of those and i can re-render if need be
Thx DBJ,

I sent you a PM (-:
Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #22
karbomusic

Snare > Reverb > Gate - Sidechain dry snare signal into gate and control the length with release/hold etc. You can compress the reverb too if you want. Don't forget the similar trick of using gated white/pink noise instead of verb or blended with the verb.

I have the effect tucked here and there in some recordings.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-14-2018 at 02:20 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #23
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Damn you guys...now I'm off looking for reverb vsts that can do gated again....Wow, coming up on 20 years of doing this now!

Looks like signaltonoize has an h3000 pack, not sure if they included the gates though
Old 07-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #24
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Damn you guys...now I'm off looking for reverb vsts that can do gated again....Wow, coming up on 20 years of doing this now!
^lolz-well there is always the rv7000mk|| [non vst] which is also probably close to 20yrs old now! - but! -it reacently got an upgrade for convolutions-- the gate was always there+ it can be cleverly controlled by cv. winkwink.
cc/note map was done for reaper controlling- uploaded to stash.
It's actually quite a nice module now-a-dayzzz.easy squeezy.

Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote