Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #361
Guod3
Human being with feelings

Has (or is)anyone using playtime with Push or Push with PXT-General?
I'm just getting started with playtime as well as PXT-General (sw to use Push outside of Ableton Live).
I'm wondering if there is any special support for Push planned for playtime? I'm sure this would be of interest to many Live users or refugees ( like moi).
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #362
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3Z View Post
Thanks so much for replying Helgoboss. How about perhaps the option to set the color for slots manually rather than automatically? Is that a possible solution? That way the options stay within the Launchpad's color palette and the color used for each slot is simply up to the user's discretion. By the way, is that chart of colors you linked mapped by velocity number?
Yes, that would be the way to go. But I still think it would feel very limited. In my opinion, there are only 4 instantly distinguishable colors on the Launchpad. How would you indicate playing vs. stopped clips? Well, maybe blinking vs. not blinking ... could be an option.

BTW, you can set the color manually already now. Infact, it's the default. Playtime just reflects REAPER item/track colors. Maybe you are using SWS Auto Color right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Cool! One thing... after recording a slot and pressing the learned button to stop recording at the end of the measure, replaying the cell is delayed by the "Default trigger mode" length. So there's an extra count in of a measure when it's set to a measure. It would be nice/expected to have immediate playback of a newly recorded clip even when Default trigger mode is a measure.

Good work btw, this is shaping up very nicely indeed!
I guess you use "Auto-play recorded clips". Here's how it's supposed to work with trigger mode set to "Next measure" (if not, it's a bug): If you stop recording within measure x, it should start playing the recorded clip on the start of measure x + 1. That's important, otherwise the loop would be out of rhythm. Does it start even later in your case? Does it work as you desire if you press the recording button on the GUI instead of the learned button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guod3 View Post
Has (or is)anyone using playtime with Push or Push with PXT-General?
I'm just getting started with playtime as well as PXT-General (sw to use Push outside of Ableton Live).
I'm wondering if there is any special support for Push planned for playtime? I'm sure this would be of interest to many Live users or refugees ( like moi).
I haven't tested/configured Playtime with Push yet because I don't have the Push controller. But I also would be interested in getting this to work. You can give it a try. As I understand it, PXT-General should translate the Push messages to MIDI. In that case, you could select "Launchpad" as connected controller in Playtime (to enable visual feedback) and use Playtime's MIDI-learn to learn the Push buttons. If it works, I would very much appreciate if you send me the controller template (Playtime => Settings => 2nd page => right click on "Connected controller" => Generate controller template).

What I don't plan is to make use of Push's step sequencer capabilities because step sequencing is out of Playtime's scope.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 AM   #363
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
I guess you use "Auto-play recorded clips". Here's how it's supposed to work with trigger mode set to "Next measure" (if not, it's a bug): If you stop recording within measure x, it should start playing the recorded clip on the start of measure x + 1. That's important, otherwise the loop would be out of rhythm. Does it start even later in your case? Does it work as you desire if you press the recording button on the GUI instead of the learned button?
Yes, it starts one measure too late after a countdown of a measure once recording has stopped.

So for a 1 bar recording:

- Press the record button (either on screen or via learn) of the empty slot during measure x-1.

- Recording starts during measure x.

- Press stop during measure x whilst playing some stuff.

- Recording stops at end of measure x.

- Countdown starts at beginning of measure x+1 and therefore playback starts at measure x+2.

Hope that helps.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #364
K3Z

[QUOTE=helgoboss;1541949]Yes, that would be the way to go. But I still think it would feel very limited. In my opinion, there are only 4 instantly distinguishable colors on the Launchpad. How would you indicate playing vs. stopped clips? Well, maybe blinking vs. not blinking ... could be an option.

BTW, you can set the color manually already now. Infact, it's the default. Playtime just reflects REAPER item/track colors. Maybe you are using SWS Auto Color right now.

I think the blinking option would be a great idea! That way colors can be used for other purposes such as organizing tracks on the Launchpad. I'm not having any issues with playtime's clip colors itself. They reflect the tracks just fine. I was just wondering if there was a way to implement color with the Launchpad.
K3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #365
plamuk

Quote:
In my opinion, there are only 4 instantly distinguishable colors on the Launchpad. How would you indicate playing vs. stopped clips? Well, maybe blinking vs. not blinking ... could be an option.
fyi there are 8 instantly distinguishable colors: green, yellow, red, orange, and the dimly lit versions of each. stopped clips: dim. playing clips: bright.

i must also revoice my feature request for Playtime to be able to optionally trigger clips without playing/stopping REAPER's transport like any sample playback vst.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #366
Jed

Quote:
Yes, it starts one measure too late after a countdown of a measure once recording has stopped.

- Press the record button (either on screen or via learn) of the empty slot during measure x-1.

- Countdown starts at beginning of measure x+1 and therefore playback starts at measure x+2.

Hope that helps.
Yes I have noticed the same thing - can't wait to see this fixed!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #367
Guod3

Quote:
I haven't tested/configured Playtime with Push yet because I don't have the Push controller. But I also would be interested in getting this to work. You can give it a try. As I understand it, PXT-General should translate the Push messages to MIDI. In that case, you could select "Launchpad" as connected controller in Playtime (to enable visual feedback) and use Playtime's MIDI-learn to learn the Push buttons. If it works, I would very much appreciate if you send me the controller template (Playtime => Settings => 2nd page => right click on "Connected controller" => Generate controller template).
The basic test worked. I'll post the template when I've worked it out a bit better.
Basically, I have PXT-General running, but I'm in Push's User Mode for this.
-Midi Learn the slot grid with the 8x8 keys, side buttonsx8 for scenes, top row(x8) for groups.
-Playtime track exclusively receiving "Ableton Push" device, ditto for track midi hardware output.
-Connected controller set to Launchpad.

Pressing the buttons seems to work as expected. Clips on the scene rows show LEDs in different colours (clips of a scene each the same colour). I'll explore what's going on some more, but I'm on multiple learning curves atm.

Is it possible to import/export all the learned data?
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:09 PM   #368
helgoboss

Quote:

Hope that helps.
I can't reproduce this. Tried hard. OSX or Win? Could you send me your RPP file and let me know the row and column of the slot which you're trying to record? (info@helgoboss.org)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
fyi there are 8 instantly distinguishable colors: green, yellow, red, orange, and the dimly lit versions of each. stopped clips: dim. playing clips: bright.

i must also revoice my feature request for Playtime to be able to optionally trigger clips without playing/stopping REAPER's transport like any sample playback vst.
Right, stopped clips dimmed and playing clips undimmed is also an option and would probably be easy on the eye.

Triggering clips without playing/stopping REAPER's transport ... the only feasible way to accomplish this would be to use REAPER's track preview feature. Like the one also available in Media Explorer. But that has limitations. Most importantly, unlike any sample playback VSTi, no audio would come out of it. That means you can't render the things you play with it. Instead you still need to enable "Write" before and persist everything on the timeline as usual.

Doing audio playback in Playtime itself will probably not happen any time soon. It would be pretty hard to replicate REAPER's item playback features and in my opinion also sort of pointless considering the wealth of samplers already out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guod3 View Post
The basic test worked. I'll post the template when I've worked it out a bit better.
Basically, I have PXT-General running, but I'm in Push's User Mode for this.
-Midi Learn the slot grid with the 8x8 keys, side buttonsx8 for scenes, top row(x8) for groups.
-Playtime track exclusively receiving "Ableton Push" device, ditto for track midi hardware output.
-Connected controller set to Launchpad.

Pressing the buttons seems to work as expected. Clips on the scene rows show LEDs in different colours (clips of a scene each the same colour). I'll explore what's going on some more, but I'm on multiple learning curves atm.

Is it possible to import/export all the learned data?
One thing you can do is just save the project. But that saves everything of course, not just the learned data. Another thing you can do is: Playtime => Settings => 2nd page => right click on "Connected controller" => Generate controller template. The resulting text you can put into a "example-controller.json" file in the following directory:

Mac OS X: /Users/USER_NAME/Library/Application Support/Playtime/controllers
Windows: C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Playtime\contro llers

And then reload Playtime and switch the "Connected controller" to that new controller.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:49 AM   #369
Lazarus

Quote:
I can't reproduce this. Tried hard. OSX or Win? Could you send me your RPP file and let me know the row and column of the slot which you're trying to record? (info@helgoboss.org)
This is on Win 8.1 and OSX Yosemite with the same results.

I'll send you an simple test rpp so you can see what I've broken!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #370
jm duchenne

Hi,

Is there a way to make the resize buttons change the size of the Playtime view instead of adding empty space around it ?

Thanks.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #371
plamuk

Quote:
Triggering clips without playing/stopping REAPER's transport ... the only feasible way to accomplish this would be to use REAPER's track preview feature.
i know we briefly spoke about this before, but what about using similar means as does SWS Resources - Media, and the associated action "resources - play media file in selected tracks" ? could not Playtime do something similar, referencing an item rather than a media file? if not, what sort of API request might help build a framework for such a request?

Quote:
Doing audio playback in Playtime itself will probably not happen any time soon. It would be pretty hard to replicate REAPER's item playback features and in my opinion also sort of pointless considering the wealth of samplers already out there.
strongly agreed that native audio out from the vsti itself is not what is needed. what is needed (and what would be innovative) is the ability to have playtime trigger the items via reaper through the appropriate track(w/trackfx) without the timeline playing. the difference is important -- audio is being sourced via item, not via playtime. this is why i keep coming back to sws.

there are a wealth of .wav samplers out there. aside from Playtime, there are NO item samplers, and that is why it is awesome. in my use case, this item sampler is simply begging for offline functionality. apologies for repeating myself regarding this issue.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #372
MCCY

Default Live Looping

I hope to be able to use playtime for live-looping one day. I regularly try the new versions and from features it should work right now, but I can't get it working. For the beginning I just want to use one Footswitch on my qneo to record one slot and jump right. assigning that is easy, but it sometimes works and sometimes it records nothing, doesn't react, doesnt start or stop :-(

Is there any example project or video as proof of concept for live looping?

Martin
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:01 AM   #373
3dmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
I hope to be able to use playtime for live-looping one day. I regularly try the new versions and from features it should work right now, but I can't get it working. For the beginning I just want to use one Footswitch on my qneo to record one slot and jump right. assigning that is easy, but it sometimes works and sometimes it records nothing, doesn't react, doesnt start or stop :-(

Martin
I haven't bought Playtime yet, but if someone can confirm it can indeed be used for live looping (including moving to different slots etc), I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
3dmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #374
X-Raym

@TonE
Quote:
Is it so bad?
With all my respect, be careful to not demotivate the author of the extension... =/

Actually, it is pretty good ! You can even test it and judge by yourself ! there is a free demo on the website.

I guess that this is just because it is a new tool, and most REAPER users are not used to use it live, or not with this kind of plugin. It may come with time, and with friendly support of its users !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #375
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Why are so few playtime demonstration videos around? Is it so bad?
There's a lot that needs to go into making a demo video.

1 - having the software and hardware to do it.
2 - time to learn the plugin
3 - time to find samples that work together
4 - inspiration to write a song
5 - time to write a script and record several takes.
6 - time for editing, publishing, promotion.

My playtime video has made $2.25 in ad earnings on YouTube for 2267 views. So clearly there's very little demand or money to be made.

If Ben has a demo project I can use I'd be happy to do another showing the latest version.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #376
MCCY

Hm. Tested it now on win 8.1... I'm still hopefull. The tempodetection works well, but for some reason recording/stop simply does not allways react. I will try further from time to time.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #377
helgoboss

Released Playtime 1.8.0

Changes:
#139 Added useful indication of clip playing progress. Playtime feels more "alive" now.
#39 Added group context menu entry 'Rename...'
#32 Added creation of empty MIDI clip when double clicking empty slot
#133 Added basic Ableton Push controller template with support for clip triggering and visual feedback. Requirements: Push must be in User Mode and the software PXT-General is necessary. Thanks to Guod3 for this contribution!
#141 Improved GUI design by using rounded corners for clips as well
#137 Improved feedback to user by displaying a message if recording doesn't work because group track not set
#138 Improved consistency by triggering memorized clips also when recording
#143 Improved consistency by discarding recorded clip when pressing stop while still counting down
#147 Improved consistency by broadening automation parameter 'Trigger selected slot' to 'Trigger selected cell'
#125 Improved error message if Playtime fails to startup
#125 Improved usability by automatically forcing Playtime to run in native mode next time after startup has failed because Playtime was run in separate process due to REAPER preferences
#142 Fixed truncation of long automation parameter names
#140 Fixed automation parameters 'Record selected slot and go right/down' sometimes going right/down although not currently recording
#136 Fixed unexpected auto-playing when pressing stop
#134 Fixed too late auto-playing of recorded clips
#135 Fixed occasional crash when enabling/disabling GUI parts
#144 Fixed incomplete GUI refresh if starting to record while transport running
#145 Fixed unreliable GUI refresh in docked mode
#146 Fixed bug that caused live-only automation parameters to be restored on project load
#148 Fixed bug that caused slot recording when triggering a scene in 'record-if-slot-empty mode'
#149 Fixed automation parameter 'Trigger selected slot' causing retriggering instead of stop in one situation
#152 Fixed incomplete restore of MIDI triggers on controller change
#151 Fixed non-appearing message boxes in docked mode
Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #378
helgoboss

Quote:
This is on Win 8.1 and OSX Yosemite with the same results.

I'll send you an simple test rpp so you can see what I've broken!
This bug is now fixed in v1.8.0. Please try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm duchenne View Post
Hi,

Is there a way to make the resize buttons change the size of the Playtime view instead of adding empty space around it ?

Thanks.
Not yet. I'm thinking about implementing that in future along with a full-screen mode so Playtime can easily be used on Windows tablets with touch screens. But that will take a while because more parts of the user interface need to be vectorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
i know we briefly spoke about this before, but what about using similar means as does SWS Resources - Media, and the associated action "resources - play media file in selected tracks" ? could not Playtime do something similar, referencing an item rather than a media file? if not, what sort of API request might help build a framework for such a request?

strongly agreed that native audio out from the vsti itself is not what is needed. what is needed (and what would be innovative) is the ability to have playtime trigger the items via reaper through the appropriate track(w/trackfx) without the timeline playing. the difference is important -- audio is being sourced via item, not via playtime. this is why i keep coming back to sws.

there are a wealth of .wav samplers out there. aside from Playtime, there are NO item samplers, and that is why it is awesome. in my use case, this item sampler is simply begging for offline functionality. apologies for repeating myself regarding this issue.
I will look into that.

Quote:

Martin
Is it possible you haven't assigned a group track to each group? If you record one slot, jump right and the group track of that slot on the right is not set, it won't react (because it doesn't know where to record your stuff).
Also make sure that you use CC mode “Toggle” when assigning the footswitch.

BTW, the bugs I found related to live-looping are fixed in v1.8.0. There's also better user feedback if Playtime can't record, for example because no group track is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmus View Post
I haven't bought Playtime yet, but if someone can confirm it can indeed be used for live looping (including moving to different slots etc), I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
It was already possible in v1.7.0 but it had some issues from time to time. v1.8.0 brings some bug fixes in that area. You can try it.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #379
plamuk

thank you helgoboss. keep up the great work.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #380
PitchSlap

Finally grabbed a license (probably should've waited till 2.0 though, since we're already at 1.8 and I'll have to pay again). Time to fire up the ol' FCB1010 that's collecting dust and get things set up.

I've mostly been on hiatus making new music this year to focus finishing some of the billion projects I already have on the go, but I think I new workflow with Playtime could be just what I need to get back into making new music...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 08-10-2015 at 04:29 PM.
PitchSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #381
PitchSlap

Hmmm... Unless I'm missing something, I'm not quite sure if the requested generic slot actions were implemented as expected.

I'm seeing a million separate actions for each slot, but I'm using a foot controller (not a grid controller with a million buttons). Some of foot-switches will be for grid basic navigation (up, down, left, right) and the rest for what ever action I want to do on the current slot (record, clear, stop, play etc).

If anything's unclear, have a look at Mobius (freeware VST), Gibson Echoplex or Roland Loopstation (manuals online) and or any other hardware looper for how it should work..

When I get home I'll have another look with my foot controller actually in front of me...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 08-10-2015 at 05:13 PM.
PitchSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #382
helgoboss

@PitchSlap Enter "selected slot" or "selected cell" in the filter (including the double quotes). Then you will see those automation parameters related to the currently selected slot/cell (cell means: slot or group or scene).

It's all there. It just needs some knowledge about REAPER's automation parameter learn feature to be used. For example, play (trigger) and stop (untrigger) is united into "Trigger selected cell". It plays if you set the parameter to ON and stops if you set the parameter to OFF. If you want toggle (play if it's stopped, stop if it's playing) behavior, you need to choose CC mode "Toggle" in REAPER when learning the parameter.

There are currently no parameters for up/down, left/right. The ticket for that is here. I encourage everybody to use the voting feature ... that ticket has no votes so it hasn't caught my attention yet. But I definitely agree that up/down, left/right would be a nice addition to the toolbox.

As an alternative, you can navigate the currently selected slot by using the parameter "Selected slot". It navigates row-wise, so a kind of left/right. You can for example use a rotary endless knob in combination with REAPER's relative modes to navigate through all slots. If you want to use foot switches, you somehow have to make those foot switches send MIDI values which are compatible to REAPER's relative modes (e.g. by using a JS MIDI effect) ... unfortunately REAPER's CC modes are a little bit limited. Alternatively you can also use the way described in section "Roll your own controller" of Playtime's user guide.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #383
Jed

How fantastic - can't wait to play with this version!

Cheers
Jed
Old 08-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #384
Lazarus

Quote:
This bug is now fixed in v1.8.0. Please try.
Thanks, good work - that's it working for the most part now. Audio seems fine but MIDI skips the first note on first play if it's too close to the start of the first beat of the recording. Totally jammable though, cheers!

One other thing I've noticed is that if Record-if-slot-empty mode is on and we press the MIDI key assigned to play a slot, it starts recording. This is great. The only problem is that we can't press this to stop recording, although we can subsequently press it to trigger the clip. We need to press our Record selected slot learned control just now to stop recording, which doesn't seem right.

I also wonder whether untriggering should be tied to Exclusive mode. I'd like to be in EM and be able to untrigger clips with the learned key.

Anyway, great work as always and I look forward to the next update!

edit: I have discovered that the above issue only applies when the Trigger key for the slot is learned via the Playtime GUI. If it is learned via the Reaper learn system it works as expected.

Last edited by Lazarus; 08-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #385
Lazarus

Yes, that's exactly how it works (if Record-if-slot-empty mode is on). The only difference is that going to step one and pressing key x again (for the same slot) will re-trigger that clip unless you clear it first. Which is sort of the way you want it anyway because you trigger clips a lot more than overwrite them.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #386
Lazarus

That's how it can work doing everything (except delete/clear, as you've pointed out) with a single learned key. You can learn a record control per slot too.

I think a learnable "Trigger is record" would be great though.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #387
Lazarus

Quote:
No, this is very inefficient. If you have 64 slots, only because of this 'bad design' you would need double amount of controls on your device.
I'm agreeing with you, I think having a toggle for changing the action of the triggers to record is a better idea.

I'd like to see the toggle being disarmed on press of the trigger though. So it's more of a "record next pressed trigger" type thing. Otherwise the dangerous record mode could be engaged when trying to trigger something. Yes, there could be a big red sign and even a holographic dragon could be projected in front of our faces to warn us of impending doom, but I would still prefer it was disarmed on trigger.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #388
Lazarus

Sure, with what you propose this happens...

- press key to go into Record mode
- trigger key - record
- trigger key - stop then play
- trigger key - record again
- we are still in Record mode

I propose...

- trigger key - record if we are in Record-if-slot-empty mode, or play if not.
- trigger key - stop (if playing the last step) or stop then play (if Playtime setting to immediately play recorded clip is checked)
- trigger key - record (again)
- we are now out of Record mode without pressing anything
Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 AM   #389
Lazarus

Quote:
In this model, rerecording is possible ONLY on stopped slots. If you liked it, why did you stop it then?
To hear something else clearly before starting it again?

To record another part with the same instrument before listening to the first again?

I sense danger anyway. That's not to say that I would be against having this option (to have a Trigger is Record mode persist after the first trigger) for your good self and other more dangerous people than me!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:30 AM   #390
Lazarus

We just have different opinions on what is best in this situation. That's all. I think your proposal would lead me to record over stuff, you are confident that you would not.

All the best!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #391
MCCY

Hey,that sounds great. I will give it a try later... Thanks anyway. As soon as livelooping works for me I'll shout out for your great invention!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #392
Lazarus

Quote:
The question is, when I am in RECORD mode, do I want slot overwriting or not?
I don't really want a record mode though, just an key to change the next pressed trigger key to record for one press. You'd prefer something different, something more like a record mode. That's fine.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #393
Lazarus

Quote:
You want to record only into empty slots? And never overwriting any previously recorded slot? You want to replace 'overwrite' with 'select' + 'delete' + 'record/trigger again'? You prefer three steps instead of one step?
No, I want the steps I outlined above.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #394
PitchSlap

Quote:
@PitchSlap Enter "selected slot" or "selected cell" in the filter (including the double quotes). Then you will see those automation parameters related to the currently selected slot/cell (cell means: slot or group or scene)...

There are currently no parameters for up/down, left/right. The ticket for that is here. I encourage everybody to use the voting feature ... that ticket has no votes so it hasn't caught my attention yet. But I definitely agree that up/down, left/right would be a nice addition to the toolbox...
Thanks! I must have overlooked them. I can't wait for those navigation triggers, then I'll pretty much be set.

A few other things I used a lot with Mobius were reverse, and halving/doubling the playrate (which also raised or lowered the pitch an octave). It can be really creative for getting new textures from existing sounds (a guitar can turn into a bass or mandolin etc.)

It would be great if it could work for MIDI too (which would probably be easier).

...and while I'm brainstorming, being able to map a few parameters that can trigger native actions in Reaper to affect the item in the selected slot could be amazing. It would open up a tonne of possibilities within PlayTime, and by utilizing Reaper's native scripting users won't need to bug you to implement these things in PlayTime.

For example, I could have a footswitch that triggers Reaper's reverse item action, make custom actions to half or double an items playrate, or emulate any other features of Mobius....
Old 08-16-2015, 04:35 AM   #395
MCCY

O.K. had my first livelooping experiments now. Just one button skipping through the first row.
Problems I had:
Reaper project doesn't seem to remember all Playtime settings
Reaper crashes randomly when hitting a button. Every 10 Minutes.
There are annoying clicks, there seems to be no smoothing for the transition of the items.
Reaction time via midi controller seems to be rather slow compared to mobius. I had problems catching the first beat of beatboxing completely.

Livelooping is coming closer, but so far I can't work with that, but now it seems to be worth trying & experimenting.

Thanks

Martin
Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #396
MCCY

... strange, got some better results now. Still observing.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #397
EpicSounds

I can make playtime crash REAPER 5 in 16 seconds

There's also a gui glitch

http://youtu.be/1kTs3bRlz0I

crash report
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ons-iMac.crash
Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #398
Lazarus

I can confirm that crash here with adding and removing rows like that, x64 Win 10.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #399
helgoboss

Quote:
Thanks, good work - that's it working for the most part now. Audio seems fine but MIDI skips the first note on first play if it's too close to the start of the first beat of the recording. Totally jammable though, cheers!

One other thing I've noticed is that if Record-if-slot-empty mode is on and we press the MIDI key assigned to play a slot, it starts recording. This is great. The only problem is that we can't press this to stop recording, although we can subsequently press it to trigger the clip. We need to press our Record selected slot learned control just now to stop recording, which doesn't seem right.

I also wonder whether untriggering should be tied to Exclusive mode. I'd like to be in EM and be able to untrigger clips with the learned key.

Anyway, great work as always and I look forward to the next update!

edit: I have discovered that the above issue only applies when the Trigger key for the slot is learned via the Playtime GUI. If it is learned via the Reaper learn system it works as expected.
Concerning the lines you crossed out: You probably have "Exclusive mode" switched on so only one clip in the column can be playing at a time. In that case, pressing the MIDI key of the playing slot again will retrigger it, not stop it. By intention. Rationale: Making the clip stop would be a waste of buttons because we can achieve exactly the same by stopping the group. Instead we give the button a new function, the retriggering.

I think the only situation in which this leaves something to be desired is if "record-if-slot-empty mode" is on and your MIDI controller doesn't have a button for stopping a group ... such as the Launchpad. With a Launchpad, you usually stop a group by pressing an empty pad in that group. But if "record-if-slot-empty mode" is on, that will record instead, so this possibility is gone. Now I could program a special treatment for that but that would make things pretty confusing I guess. My suggested solution: Just use Playtime to MIDI-learn one of the Launchpad rows for untriggering groups.

Concerning your last edit: Nice catch. Actually, that behavior is somewhat inconsistent. I think I should fix that. I would like the REAPER-learned triggers work exactly like the Playtime-learned triggers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
...and while I'm brainstorming, being able to map a few parameters that can trigger native actions in Reaper to affect the item in the selected slot could be amazing. It would open up a tonne of possibilities within PlayTime, and by utilizing Reaper's native scripting users won't need to bug you to implement these things in PlayTime.

For example, I could have a footswitch that triggers Reaper's reverse item action, make custom actions to half or double an items playrate, or emulate any other features of Mobius....
I like this approach. Seems very generic. I could integrate that possibility in the controller configuration files. It would need some manual work to set it up then (editing the JSON file and pasting REAPER actions IDs) but it would open up many possibilities.

Quote:
Thanks for stepwise description, however you made a small mistake in my proposal, you forgot one 'stop play' step, here your wrong quote, then my corrected version:

It should be:

- trigger key - record
- trigger key - stop then play
- trigger key - stop <------ you forgot this step
- trigger key - record again
- we are still in Record mode

In this model, rerecording is possible ONLY on stopped slots. If you liked it, why did you stop it then?

Not sure, if this additional forgotten step, will make you prefer this design? Playing slots can never be overwritten accidentally. Stopped slots can.
I can see where both of you (also Lazarus) are getting at. Right now, we have only 2 options in "Record-if-slot-empty mode": On and off. Instead we could have several modes including the ones you suggest.

Quote:
O.K. had my first livelooping experiments now. Just one button skipping through the first row.
Problems I had:
Reaper project doesn't seem to remember all Playtime settings
Reaper crashes randomly when hitting a button. Every 10 Minutes.
There are annoying clicks, there seems to be no smoothing for the transition of the items.
Reaction time via midi controller seems to be rather slow compared to mobius. I had problems catching the first beat of beatboxing completely.

Livelooping is coming closer, but so far I can't work with that, but now it seems to be worth trying & experimenting.

Thanks

Martin
Thanks. Can you please go more into detail about the following things:

1. Which project settings aren't remembered by Playtime?
2. Can you somehow describe how to reproduce the crash? Did you press one of the resize buttons before it crashed (known issue in 1.8.0)?
3. When exactly do you experience clicks? Clicks might indeed occur whenever the loop ends and starts again. Playtime currently doesn't do any crossfades/smoothing there. Is it that?
4. Reaction time. Do you mean the time until it starts to record? Or stop? Or play? Are you in tempo detection mode? No matter what, if you record audio and the actual audio material starts already a short time before the first beat, Playtime won't fix it. There's a ticket for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I can make playtime crash REAPER 5 in 16 seconds

There's also a gui glitch

http://youtu.be/1kTs3bRlz0I

crash report
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ons-iMac.crash
Thanks for reporting this. I fixed that and will release the fix soon.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #400
PitchSlap

Quote:
I like this approach. Seems very generic. I could integrate that possibility in the controller configuration files. It would need some manual work to set it up then (editing the JSON file and pasting REAPER actions IDs) but it would open up many possibilities.
This sounds great! I'm happy to do some manual set up work, since I usually get things the way I want it and don't need to mess with it much again. As long is there's a basic example provided it should be easy for lay-people to figure out...

I've got 10 banks of 10 foot-switches so the possibilities would only be limited by my imagination.

Combining the best aspects of Reaper, Live and hardware loopers would truly be a dream come true!