Old 12-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #41
Yorky
Human being with feelings

Thanks to Justin & Schwa for making this product grow along with the brilliant community. Just purchased my new licence key - good to go for another x years! Cheers
Yorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 AM   #42
Garrick

Thank you J and S and WT,
You clever bastards are great.

Regards
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:38 AM   #43
bFooz

I just wanna check/remind these issues:

Quote:
+ Notation editor: support customized staff and note context menus
There are some important menu items still kept hidden in "(note notation menu)" and "(track notation menu)".

Quote:
+ ReaScript: add support for user-defined note and track notation data that is not displayed
- assign an empty string as a user data
BUG - the existing data persists
EXPECTED - the existing data are deleted

Quote:
+ Dynamic split: add preset support
The preset button is placed on a very bad spot, plus the whole dialog is still badly organized and makes me think too much.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...51&postcount=4
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #44
Symphonic Cat

I tried V6, I'm in love with many new features, especially CC envelopes and other changes in MIDI EDITOR.

But…

To my horror, MIDI notes in the MIDI EDITOR, when color by track (or item) is used - they don't pick selected notes BORDER from the colormap anymore.

In searching for answers I found that White Tie explained here about a month ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
The color by track / media item functionality is newer than midi_note_colormap. It doesn't use it. Ah! you're thinking, then it probably calculates the difference between the MIDI editor note selected and unselected definitions, right? Nope.

Reaper appears to lighten the note colour and give it a white outline. IIRC, its just one of those many, many things in Reaper that are not themable.

But that is not really true. At least it wasn't in previous versions up to 5.99. It DID use colormap - just not completely. It worked for selected notes BORDERS.Very important! And now it doesn't.

Not a big deal when you are writing/editing or simply focusing on a single track/item - but it makes it way more difficult to visually distinguish selected notes from non-selected - WHEN there are other editable items there too - which is most of the time for anyone who actually uses midi editor to write music.

Actually, it still works - as long as you don't apply color to your track/items - but that's kind of useless. Until V6 it worked regardless - as it should.

I really hope it's a bug and not a feature to break such an important customization option.

I notice the options to clear/load colormap from File menu are gone too (although there are still actions for doing that, so it's not a problem).
Symphonic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #45
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
- assign an empty string as a user data
BUG - the existing data persists
EXPECTED - the existing data are deleted
How are you assigning the empty string?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #46
lowellben

Is there any way to remove the TCP color tint in the default out of the box Reaper 6 theme? It's grayed out (again) and can't be overriden. In Reaper 5, we had to wait until a generous themer would hack a new theme and allow tint options for the TCP colors so we didn't have to have the entire track panel colored. Just the endcap.

Is this possible to setup in Reaper 6?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #47
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Is there any way to remove the TCP color tint in the default out of the box Reaper 6 theme? It's grayed out (again) and can't be overriden. In Reaper 5, we had to wait until a generous themer would hack a new theme and allow tint options for the TCP colors so we didn't have to have the entire track panel colored. Just the endcap.

No, will have to hack it.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #48
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
How are you assigning the empty string?
Good question. I append the new desired notation at the end of the existing notation and let Reaper sort it out.

So if the note has "voice 1" and I append "voice 0", Reaper changes this, in this case removes the voice.

If I append an empty string for a voice, it does nothing. For "user" data however, using an empty string in this ways might be desirable. And it could be also implemented for other notations to quickly remove those. It is fast and easy to script for a user in this way.

If it is not easily done, I can adapt.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #49
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Good question. I append the new desired notation at the end of the existing notation and let Reaper sort it out.

So if the note has "voice 1" and I append "voice 0", Reaper changes this, in this case removes the voice.

If I append an empty string for a voice, it does nothing. For "user" data however, using an empty string in this ways might be desirable. And it could be also implemented for other notations to quickly remove those. It is fast and easy to script for a user in this way.

If it is not easily done, I can adapt.
I mean, what ReaScript function are you using to change the notation data?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #50
mccrabney

refer to this issue: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....77#post2210377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphonic Cat View Post
To my horror, MIDI notes in the MIDI EDITOR, when color by track (or item) is used - they don't pick selected notes BORDER from the colormap anymore ... it makes it way more difficult to visually distinguish selected notes from non-selected - WHEN there are other editable items there too - which is most of the time for anyone who actually uses midi editor to write music.
agree 100%, it is a big problem. color-by-track should allow us to set a single, unified "SELECTED" color. why? because of this: at a glance, tell me which notes are selected:

this is worse than where's waldo.

compare this to an imagined image where all selected notes are instead BRIGHT PINK. your eyes wouldn't need to search. you would know with a single glance.

color by track is a great way to utilize the LEDs on all this fancy hardware that's coming out these days, but it's completely hamstrung by this problem

ps, as always, CONGRATS on 6, i'm impressed and i love the theme.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #51
lowellben

Quote:

Look quickly at this picture and imagine you have a huge project with a lot of items and your eyes are getting tired

There is NO WAY to quickly see which track is selected. Nobody in their right mind would argue this unless they just wanted to be difficult lol.

The ONLY thing telling you what is currently selected is a silly little tiny tiny small white-color strip in the left side of the track. Can you spot it?

That is not helpful. Can someone please tell me how to hack the brand new default Reaper 6 theme so the crazy TCP tint color can be removed and only set to the end cap strip as like previous themes? (Like Nitpick)

Thank you.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #52
mccrabney

^ another reason for us to be able to set a single, unified "SELECTED" color for different elements, i don't care if it overrides the track color while said track is selected

it might look nice in a promotional screenshot, but it'd be functionally inferior.

Last edited by mccrabney; 12-04-2019 at 06:34 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #53
azslow3

Nice, V6

But RWP people forgot to test pre-releases. So accessibility is broken (not REAPER's fault, related extensions and scripts have to be updated).

One quick related question, sorry if was already asked: is Alt key alone no longer open top menu on purpose? It does, as long as there is no tracks, but then it does not. Shortcuts still work, but not Alt key alone. That is a bit unfriendly from accessibility point of view and I guess will need some effort to fix on extension side. So I hope that is just a bug
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #54
MinorKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
One quick related question, sorry if was already asked: is Alt key alone no longer open top menu on purpose? It does, as long as there is no tracks, but then it does not. Shortcuts still work, but not Alt key alone. That is a bit unfriendly from accessibility point of view and I guess will need some effort to fix on extension side. So I hope that is just a bug
I'd expand upon that a little. Not only is the alt key not working for opening the main menu bar once a track has been inserted, it is also not possible to close the main REAPER window with alt + f4. Similarly to pressing the alt key on its own, alt + f4 works until no tracks have been inserted.
MinorKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #55
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I mean, what ReaScript function are you using to change the notation data?
Code:
reaper.MIDI_SetTextSysexEvt()
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #56
Joe90

Agree on the coloured texts, not a fan of the coloured TCP track name at all personally... it's clearly far less legible... I'd be curious what the reasoning was for this decision.

Have you guys having the 'alt' issue checked the preferences option for this? Search 'alt' in preferences and you'll find it.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #57
Edi

There's a strange setting here in the Project Settings... 39bit integer?
Attached Images
File Type: png Cattura.PNG (21.5 KB, 214 views)
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #58
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
There's a strange setting here in the Project Settings... 39bit integer?
Yeah, that's been there for a looong time, and seems to actually work (i.e. it's probably not a typo). I don't know where it comes from though...
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #59
-_~

Location: Location: Location: Location: ###Fatal error: Interface RecursiveLocation cannot implement itself###

IIRC it's a Pro Tools TDM bit depth emulation, approximating its 48 bit fixed point precision.
-_~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #60
Archimedes

Default QUESTION RE: Themes

Is it possible to apply one theme (V6.0 default, for instance) for everything except the MIDI editor and use another theme (V5.0 default) for the MIDI editor? Alternatively, is it possible to customize the MIDI editor theme apart from everything else?

The Notation view, for instance, has black staves and notes over a nice white background. But the piano roll theme using the V6.0 default is useless unless you're young and still have good eyes.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #61
earlabs

Default Theme adjuster disappeared

Hi

Congrats with the great new achievement!

I have been tweaking the colors and the theme adjuster worked just fine. BUT, I noticed right away that the theme adjuster was only visible in the default options menu (not in personal version). And after some more fiddling with colors in the theme editor (where you can change many more colors and such) I notice that the theme adjuster has disappeared altogether.

Where can I locate it?
Old 12-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #62
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Is it possible to apply one theme (V6.0 default, for instance) for everything except the MIDI editor and use another theme (V5.0 default) for the MIDI editor? Alternatively, is it possible to customize the MIDI editor theme apart from everything else?

The Notation view, for instance, has black staves and notes over a nice white background. But the piano roll theme using the V6.0 default is useless unless you're young and still have good eyes.
You can take the values for the colors of the midi editor from one theme and apply them to another. There is an action called theme tweaker. That is what you use to adjust colors of the midi editor, arrange view, and so on.

You can also take that customized color information from a .Reapertheme file directly and paste it into another. The easiest way of doing this, so that you do not have to unzip the .ReaperThemeZip files:

- Load V5 theme. Run the theme tweaker action. Without making any changes, save a new file from the theme tweaker and give it a new name. It'll become a .ReaperTheme file (not a .ReaperThemeZip file). It's a file that just contains some color/font info, but not all the UI images of Reaper (and a lot of other aspects about a theme).

- Browse to the color themes folder. Open the new file that you created using a text editor. Find the line near the bottom that says "ui_img=" and change the information that follows, which is a reference to the V5 ReaperThemeZip file. Change it so it instead refers to the V6 ReaperThemeZip file. Save the file, then load that "theme" you created.

There may be some colors that you did not want to change, but this is a good start to see which ones you do like changed. And you can always run the theme tweaker to edit them again. Also similarly you can create a new file from the theme tweaker based on V6 theme, open it in a text editor, and copy and paste whatever you want to/from another file.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 12-04-2019 at 09:12 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #63
ferropop

Quote:
Look quickly at this picture and imagine you have a huge project with a lot of items and your eyes are getting tired

There is NO WAY to quickly see which track is selected. Nobody in their right mind would argue this unless they just wanted to be difficult lol.

The ONLY thing telling you what is currently selected is a silly little tiny tiny small white-color strip in the left side of the track. Can you spot it?

That is not helpful. Can someone please tell me how to hack the brand new default Reaper 6 theme so the crazy TCP tint color can be removed and only set to the end cap strip as like previous themes? (Like Nitpick)

Thank you.

I'd honestly go further and make a case for the entire selected track(s) to be ever so slightly tinted.

At resolutions like 4k (and even 1080p honestly) it's next to impossible in big projects to see what track you are dealing with.

Try dropping a sample from the File Explorer at 4k -- the ONLY reliable way to accurately place it on the correct track is to fly it wayyy over towards the track name, then follow along horizontally with your finger, making sure you aren't accidentally going off from the track.

It should just tint whatever track you're hovering overtop during drag/drop/item actions etc, and generally just tint the whole selected track(s) horizontally.

Thoughts?
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #64
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You can take the values for the colors of the midi editor from one theme and apply them to another. There is an action called theme tweaker. That is what you use to adjust colors of the midi editor, arrange view, and so on.

You can also take that customized color information from a .Reapertheme file directly and paste it into another. The easiest way of doing this, so that you do not have to unzip the .ReaperThemeZip files:

- Load V5 theme. Run the theme tweaker action. Without making any changes, save a new file from the theme tweaker and give it a new name. It'll become a .ReaperTheme file (not a .ReaperThemeZip file). It's a file that just contains some color/font info, but not all the UI images of Reaper (and a lot of other aspects about a theme).

- Browse to the color themes folder. Open the new file that you created using a text editor. Find the line near the bottom that says "ui_img=" and change the information that follows, which is a reference to the V5 ReaperThemeZip file. Change it so it instead refers to the V6 ReaperThemeZip file. Save the file, then load that "theme" you created.

There may be some colors that you did not want to change, but this is a good start to see which ones you do like changed. And you can always run the theme tweaker to edit them again. Also similarly you can create a new file from the theme tweaker based on V6 theme, open it in a text editor, and copy and paste whatever you want to/from another file.
Awesome! Thanks SO much! Being able to see is a wonderful thing!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #65
Mordi

I can't seem to use any other CC curve shape than square. Am I doing something wrong or could it be a bug?

Edit: Ah. The hold-pedal CC can only use square. I guess it makes sense in a way.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #66
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I'd honestly go further and make a case for the entire selected track(s) to be ever so slightly tinted.

At resolutions like 4k (and even 1080p honestly) it's next to impossible in big projects to see what track you are dealing with.

Try dropping a sample from the File Explorer at 4k -- the ONLY reliable way to accurately place it on the correct track is to fly it wayyy over towards the track name, then follow along horizontally with your finger, making sure you aren't accidentally going off from the track.

It should just tint whatever track you're hovering overtop during drag/drop/item actions etc, and generally just tint the whole selected track(s) horizontally.

Thoughts?
Absolutely. We NEED selected track arrange backgrounds (at least) to stand out more.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #67
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Absolutely. We NEED selected track arrange backgrounds (at least) to stand out more.
Can it be possible to just remove the TCP tint like in the v5 Nitpick theme? I like having the color just be on the endcap strip. So much cleaner and you can at least see the TCP selection brightness better. Still, weak. There needs to be more gamma or something showing the selected track more. Pretty please? I'll pay more.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #68
Archimedes

Default QUESTION 2: WIDE MIXER TRACK

This project is one recently worked on in 5.99. This quirk did not exist in that version.

Pictured is 1 track of 55. All tracks are the same width, except this 1 track ("Track 9"). The track is only unique in that it contains a Superior Drummer 3 instance, and the I/O is exploded out to 16 stereo pairs via pre-fader sends.

Is there something I'm doing to cause this? How do I correct this?
Attached Images
File Type: png Track 9.png (47.8 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Archimedes; 12-04-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #69
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post

At least with tinting you can select the intended track prior to dropping in a sample, and it completely solves the issue. There's no question whether you're dropping onto the correct track. Simple, subtle, perfect.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #70
SoulOne82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
v6.0 - December 3 2019
SoulOne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #71
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post

At least with tinting you can select the intended track prior to dropping in a sample, and it completely solves the issue. There's no question whether you're dropping onto the correct track. Simple, subtle, perfect.
I love this. I love the color block, not a full huge blinding track of color. I love the brightness gamma selection highlight. It's near perfect.

How can I edit the default 6 theme for this simple improvement? WALTER? coding? that's the Reaper way, sorry new users
Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #72
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Pictured is 1 track of 55. All tracks are the same width, except this 1 track ("Track 9"). The track is only unique in that it contains a Superior Drummer 3 instance, and the I/O is exploded out to 16 stereo pairs via pre-fader sends. How do I correct this?
Yes, you can turn down/off the meter expansion using the theme adjuster.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #73
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
Edit: Ah. The hold-pedal CC can only use square. I guess it makes sense in a way.
I noticed this exact thing last night.

It doesn't really make sense to me. Sustain pedaling can be continuous and ramped just as CC1 is.

Edit: having said that, recorded MIDI events for pedal shouldn't be ramped. So square makes sense certainly as a default. But I can see a use case for linear for manual drawing.

Last edited by tack; 12-04-2019 at 11:32 AM.
tack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #74
BlackScreen

Thank you very much for the new version.
I purchased a new license, because my old one was too old. But that is not a problem. This type of software deserves every support, praise and dollar.

The new theme looks awesome on my MacBook Pro Retina. Thank you so much for that.
Just a little nitpicking: Could you also change the Routing, Grouping and Region Render window to the darker theme, like the Wiring windows? Thanks!
BlackScreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #75
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Yes, you can turn down/off the meter expansion using the theme adjuster.
Well, in order to use V5.0 Midi Editor theme with V6.0 theme everywhere else, I created and loaded a custom theme (see above). When using the custom theme, the "Theme Adjuster" is disabled.

When I went back to V6.0 theme and used the adjuster to disable meter expansion for both selected and unselected tracks, the track was not as wide, but still wider than all the other tracks (see attached image).

There's a flag or parameter somewhere in the config files, I imagine, that sets meter expansion on or off. What is the tag for that flag, and I'll set it manually.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png Track 9 b.png (21.2 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #76
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordi View Post
My Hold Pedal on the VPC1 is "continuous" 7 bits.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #77
Dimson

Noticed that in Reaper 6, icons became less contrasting

Reaper 5.99

Reaper 6

Also discovered a bug in Theme adjuster: Open Theme Adjuster, go into dock mode, close Theme Adjuster, reopen, disable dock mode and get such a window

Last edited by Dimson; 12-04-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Dimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #78
deeb

I experience difficulties to know where is selected track and I don't like TCP text changing when track selected.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #79
EvilDragon

Indeed, not being able to use CC curves on CC #64 is not good. There is such thing as continuous sustain pedal, devs. Please allow curves on CC #64.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #80
Archimedes

Default V6 THEME ADJUSTER

A really good idea. But it only works on the Default theme, as far as I can tell.