Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
Thunderclash
Human being with feelings

Default Big project - high idle CPU usage

Hi!

Seeing the new features for Reaper 6 I wanted to try out creating a big template for writing. The "Big Project Improvements:Vastly optimized behavior for projects with high (200+) track counts" new feature sounded promising, so I started adding my tracks. I'm at 1000+ tracks at the moment and have now hit a wall. I noticed the CPU (Intel i7-9700K) sits at 15-20% idle, with nothing activated. I have all FX offline, tracks and fx sends/return muted, so it's just empty tracks. Almost all the tracks are hidden in TCP and MCP.

I had the exact same problem in Reaper 5 when trying to create bigger orchestral templates, with the CPU usage being too demanding when reaching high track counts. The only viable workflow I've found is to import track templates as I write, but I would prefer to have everything in a template and just active all the tracks I need. So what is different from Reaper 5 when working with big projects? I don't really notice a difference in performance in version 6.

What is interesting is that it is only when the Reaper window is focused, that the CPU is busy. If not focused, the CPU drops to 0,5% usage.

Is there a way to optimize this? Have the graphics in Reaper run on the GPU instead, or something like that?

All help is appreciated!

Cheers
Thunderclash is offline   Reply With Quote