Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 AM   #41
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
What are you using most for EQ?
The Midi Fighter Twister on the left. If I had a bit more space and time to make a backplate, I'd fit in a third MFT unit. I could then use two for EQ and the third for the comp,deesser and perhaps sends. I keep the fourth banks of the MFT units for focused plugin GUIs. All others are 'selected track' assignments. Helps if I need to control stuff on multiple tracks at once. Like quick temporary linked controls on a digital Harrison console .

Quote:
Apart from the useless fader, what do y'all think of the X-touch mini as an entry level control thingy? I just need knobs mostly for EQ.
It's pretty good. The editor lets you set it up with any type of midi CC, relative or absolute. The midi control mode, which I use, has two layers. I light up the buttons for bank changes with simple Lua scripts.

I rarely use the knobs because of the MFT and Arturia Beatstep units, but they work great and have PUSH button action too. Solid so far. I most often use its two rows of buttons to change banks on the MFT units. The fader is fine as a simple (unmotorized) midi fader too. 60 mm travel.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 AM   #42
Judders

Quote:
Apart from the useless fader, what do y'all think of the X-touch mini as an entry level control thingy? I just need knobs mostly for EQ.

You can get twice the knobs for less money with the Novation Launch Control.

http://global.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control#
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #43
airon

Quote:

Great deal if you want absolute knobs.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #44
Geoff Waddington

My personal fav from over 9 years ago, go to 3:15 and prepare to be amazed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSXPsLJ6f8
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #45
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
My personal fav from over 9 years ago, go to 3:15 and prepare to be amazed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKSXPsLJ6f8
kickstarter was made for such as these

I think he should pop those out close to the four edges/bezels of the screen and leave the middle for more information. could possibly fit more knobs that way
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #46
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

Not sure how the knobs work with a DAW if they're not endless. Same with motor-less faders.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Not sure how the knobs work with a DAW if they're not endless. Same with motor-less faders.
Because lots of controls in DAWs have a range of 0-127 like volume and VST params. I just designed and built a DIY controller and I made one of controllers absolute explicitly because all the way to the left = 0 and full right = 127 which maps perfectly to VST knobs. The only reason I needed endless was for zoom/scroll because they truly are endless.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #48
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I have a Korg NanoKontrol 2 but I don't use it as a DAW controller. I use it to map synth controls.
For DAW use I use this for seamless operation:

A big high quality motorized controller would be cool, but an expensive luxury.
This ingenious device is my favorite control surface by far. I tried a Korg NanoKontrol 2 and it's just gathering dust.

Mouse & PC keyboard for transport control 100%, and the faders/knobs on my MIDI controller keyboard for MIDI CC stuff.
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #49
Dezb1

M-audio 25 - does everything I need in combination with my mouse.
Dezb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #50
poetnprophet

I use an Akai MKP225 when I'm at home making beats. It has transport, 25 keys, 8 color pads, and 8 knobs, plus some other neat features like note repeat, and is programmable for many daws out of the box. Works with Reaper with a little fiddling. I honestly don't do much more with it than make beats, but it works really well for that. My other controller in the studio is a VS700C, which doesn't "yet" work with Reaper well but that may change soon. If I knew how to program the midi stuff I could certainly get more mileage out of them both.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #51
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
This ingenious device is my favorite control surface by far. I tried a Korg NanoKontrol 2 and it's just gathering dust.

Mouse & PC keyboard for transport control 100%, and the faders/knobs on my MIDI controller keyboard for MIDI CC stuff.
Still worth having for all that upgradeable software and to use for VSTis as a temporary VSTi controller. I say that at the price I paid, which was about £20 new.
Quality motorised faders would be a different ball game, but again you need to have space to spare. Judder's Presonus suggestion has a single motorised fader and could be a nice compromise.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #52
BenK-msx

After years with a bcf2000 and various other things with lights and fader and what not, I now v happily use one of these which was from aldi

Those two endless controllers are the main reason, plus the form (narrow) . can't fathom why small knobs are still the thing when a few larger ones are so much more usable to tweak parameters etc.

Mapped last touched parameter and fine item nudge left/right primarily.

Using tool like realearn this dumb controller can do all kinds of clever things it wasn't designed for.

The absolute twiddlies do nice mapped to master out, solo dim level, etc.

Point is I guess is finding something that fits your workflow (grew up with mouse and it does many thing v well) to fill gaps that mouse & keys don't do as well, doesn't have to be pricey or snazzy.
We might think we need flying faders, but more often than not it's a few handy buttons or controls.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 02-20-2018 at 03:13 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #53
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

After years with a bcf2000 and various other things with lights and fader and what not, I now v happily use one of these which was from aldi

Those two endless controllers are the main reason, plus the form (narrow) . can't fathom why small knobs are still the thing when a few larger ones are so much more usable to tweak parameters etc.

Mapped last touched parameter and fine item nudge left/right primarily.

Using tool like realearn this dumb controller can do all kinds of clever things it wasn't designed for.

The absolute twiddlies do nice mapped to master out, solo dim level, etc.

Point is I guess is finding something that fits your workflow (grew up with mouse and it does many thing v well) to fill gaps that mouse & keys don't do as well, doesn't have to be pricey or snazzy.
We might think we need flying faders, but more often than not it's a few handy buttons or controls.
How does the crossfader work for you?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
BenK-msx

Quote:
How does the crossfader work for you?
Tbh it's not even mapped at the moment! since switching to Mac, just have my most often used things done.

In the past It has been master fader, a mod wheel/pitch wheel replacement, etc.
Any suggestions I am open!

Suits zoom or scroll perhaps.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #55
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post

I'm good using a decent mouse with a few extra assignable buttons, keyboard short cuts AND the presonus faderport.

The faderport is huge for 2 reasons

1) The transport controls always work regardless of window focus. It drives me nuts when you have an FX window open and you lose transport control on the keyboard.

2) Using a real fader for writing automation is SOOOO much better than using the mouse.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #56
antiClick

That's easy: Softube Console 1
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #57
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
That's easy: Softube Console 1
Does it play nice with other non-Softube plugins?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #58
airon

Quote:
Yeah, DJ controllers are a great source.

Two Midi Fighter Twisters, Arturia Beatstep(with chroma caps though) and a Novation Dicer for its buttons. All DJ gear.

I was looking at some Traktor controllers too. Everything is just midi gear.

Btw, the cheapest 16-endless knob controller I know is the Arturia Beatstep, though I do recommend using different knob caps. It has 16 banks too, which takes two buttons to reach(hold "Recall" and hit one of the pads).

Modular madness. To find some great stuff at Aldi.... I had no idea .
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #59
sostenuto

Waaayy pricey, but this looks interesting for future custom needs ….

https://palettegear.myshopify.com/

Just noted in this 'today' video: ___ skip to 1:38 for first view ) if not interested in YT content ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnok...ature=youtu.be
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #60
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Waaayy pricey, but this looks interesting for future custom needs ….

https://palettegear.myshopify.com/

Just noted in this 'today' video: ___ skip to 1:38 for first view ) if not interested in YT content ….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnok...ature=youtu.be
How do you use the faders if they're not motorized? If your daw is at -12 dB and the fader is at 0 dB, what do you do? Same goes for non-endless knobs.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #61
karbomusic

Quote:
How do you use the faders if they're not motorized? If your daw is at -12 dB and the fader is at 0 dB, what do you do? Same goes for non-endless knobs.
Soft takeover means it doesn't move in the software until the hardware reaches the same position. This is a checkbox in Reaper when you are learning the CC.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #62
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Yeah, DJ controllers are a great source.

Two Midi Fighter Twisters, Arturia Beatstep(with chroma caps though) and a Novation Dicer for its buttons. All DJ gear.

I was looking at some Traktor controllers too. Everything is just midi gear.

Btw, the cheapest 16-endless knob controller I know is the Arturia Beatstep, though I do recommend using different knob caps. It has 16 banks too, which takes two buttons to reach(hold "Recall" and hit one of the pads).

Modular madness. To find some great stuff at Aldi.... I had no idea .
Glad its not just me then..Beatstep do Look nice but they commit the small endless encoder sin, i believe size matters there, plus I've desensitized my encoders msgs so that 0-max is like 4 whole turns, since the sweet spot for effect level or threshold often ends up being barely a few millimetres of travel on a regular knob and just adds difficulty.

The aldi jobby lacks the sexy studio controller visual vibe but functionally does great for low cost.

Never got on with trigger pads either as got two midi keyboard in front of me these days and used to using them.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #63
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Soft takeover means it doesn't move in the software until the hardware reaches the same position. This is a checkbox in Reaper when you are learning the CC.
Finally! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #64
Indirect

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I could then use two for EQ and the third for the comp,deesser and perhaps sends
How you have your EQs and compressors sat up? I mean do you open gui for each plugin? I'm looking for a way to control 8 "folder tracks" or 8 groups with level fader, 1 knob eq, dynamics controls, maybe send. I have 2 nanokontrols, but I don't know how to configure reaper so I could do what I want. Seems like you have EQ and Comp parts figured out. Could you detail your setup, please?
Indirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #65
foxAsteria

Quote:
Beatstep do Look nice but they commit the small endless encoder sin
They are small, but they feel very nice and smooth. The bigger knob is also an encoder. Also they do have acceleration, so you can have precise control with slow movements but still get a full turn if you spin them fast.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #66
foxAsteria

Also, if you guys want the visual function of motorized faders on the cheap, there is always the option of using OSC to turn your phone or ipad into a custom controller with parameter positions that stay updated. Not as fun as twiddling real knobs, but highly convenient nonetheless.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #67
Bill_T

Maschine Jam, which can be custom programmed with your choice of CC's or notes. Polypressure, pitchbend, song position etc can be assigned to any button or slider. I use it with some orchestral VSTs for keyswitching etc. You'll either love or hate the sliders.

Here's a pic I grabbed from an EastWest video. Typical setup for orchestral keyswitching.
Attached Images
File Type: png Hollywood_CC_Setup_720.png (24.1 KB, 138 views)
Bill_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #68
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_T View Post
Maschine Jam, which can be custom programmed with your choice of CC's or notes. Polypressure, pitchbend, song position etc can be assigned to any button or slider. I use it with some orchestral VSTs for keyswitching etc. You'll either love or hate the sliders.

Here's a pic I grabbed from an EastWest video. Typical setup for orchestral keyswitching.
Cool ! Definitely something to learn more about for Orchestral projects.

Crazy how such diverse worlds eventually 'merge/ morph' …..
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:35 AM   #69
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_T View Post

Very cool. Have you labeled your machine ? The last one I labeled had label-printer stickers coloured to indicate automation modes. I don't like sticking things on buttons if possible.

Can you change the colour of the buttons perhaps ? I find that incredibly useful on the Midi Fighter Twisters. Their LED indicators below the knobs can have any colour for any knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indirect View Post
How you have your EQs and compressors sat up? I mean do you open gui for each plugin? I'm looking for a way to control 8 "folder tracks" or 8 groups with level fader, 1 knob eq, dynamics controls, maybe send. I have 2 nanokontrols, but I don't know how to configure reaper so I could do what I want. Seems like you have EQ and Comp parts figured out. Could you detail your setup, please?
The setup uses learn assignments that are mostly "selected track" style.

The GUI doesn't have to be open. Reaper has nothing for midi feedback, so I have the GUI of plugins in a docked FX chain view. I often close the plugin guis though. When changing tracks often, some plugins take quite a bit of time to draw their GUI, Fabfilter in particular .

Further feedback is on the custom mixer view layout you see on the left. The parameter knobs show me the status of a parameter with the colour of the text. Yellow is for Touch/Latch/LatchPreview and red shows up when a parameter is latched or writing(writing in Latch/Touch/WRITE, not-writing in LatchPreview).
The first bank of the left unit controls parts of the post-compression EQ, since it's the one I access the most often. The first bank of the second MFT unit controls parameters of the compressor. Other banks handle deessers, send control and the pre-comp eq.

The knobs are all set to normal resolution and relative control. I have other places for absolute knobs, which I hardly ever use. That did take a while for four banks, especially since I had to change which midi cc the second unit put out for all four banks, but it works great in the end.

Keep in mind if you're using Midi Fighter Twisters, that you have to plugin them in to USB ports in sequence. I renamed the units in Reaper as well (Prefs/Midi Devices), which are the names my scripts target them with.

All tracks have identical assignments, and all the assignments are for selected tracks, so I can change stuff on multiple tracks just by selecting those tracks.

Changing send levels however is faster via OSC. That's why the knob assignments for sends are on the third bank, but I rarely use them any more unless I want to change multiple tracks at once. Reaper is fucking SLOOOOOOOW to make send level changes via relative midi knobs. Unfortunately OSC send volume changes do not affect all selected tracks, which I consider a bug.

I open and close plugin guis with the Novation Diver buttons, though any drumpad controller is great for this too. I use a Korg Nanopad2 for automation modes, in addition to keyboard shortcuts, which can sometimes get gobbled up when the view focus shifts.

Oh yeah, I changed the automation button images to be easy to see as well for my little custom layouts. The ones in the default theme are so hard to see, they're essentially useless to me.

Last edited by airon; 02-24-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #70
Rmole

I have a Behringer BCF-2000 that works great under Reaper without any additional software installs or difficult configuration.

I'd love to replace it (and save some deskspace) with my PreSonus Faderport.

Unfortunately, I bought the Faderport used, can't register it, and it's apparently bricked by the previous firmware...and I can't download the 1.3.8 firmware installer w/out registering the Faderport.
Rmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #71
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmole View Post
I have a Behringer BCF-2000 that works great under Reaper without any additional software installs or difficult configuration.

I'd love to replace it (and save some deskspace) with my PreSonus Faderport.

Unfortunately, I bought the Faderport used, can't register it, and it's apparently bricked by the previous firmware...and I can't download the 1.3.8 firmware installer w/out registering the Faderport.
Some folks here have the 1.38 firmware. You'll be sure to find those in the threads that discuss this piece of hardware.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193222
Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #72
BenK-msx

Seems a good place to ask:
using my controller a bit more on new Mac setup and when in use (i.e sending alot of midi) I can get disconnects that kill it until I unplug/replug.

Ring a bell with anyone?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #73
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmole View Post

I'd say if you contact support they should respond, if not, PM me as I may have it.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #74
zookthespook

Doo look at the platform m+ by icon .
It is a cheaper with only fader(motor) and panpot vs. the icon pro q.
But it does the job ..100mm full range faders ,works with a number of hosts and can be used as midi cc controller when out of hui mode. It has a D2 screen add-on.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #75
Guerrilla Music LLC

I use the Akai MPK49's faders, pots and pads

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...gle_lg.png&f=1
Guerrilla Music LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #76
Uwe_

Default faderport vs icon m+ ?

The Presonus Faderport seems to be a favorite of many users. The iCON m+ is rarely mentioned (Why?). As they are of about the same price (~450 €, the m+ including the Platform D Display) and i'm right now trying to make a buying decision, i'd appreciate any comments from you my fellow comrades if you can judge about the two from own experience.

Best regards, Uwe
Uwe_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:21 AM   #77
cyrano

Thanks for the link. Hadn't found that one yet.

At 200$ for the controller, it's pretty expensive though. Especially compared to the MidiBox:

http://www.ucapps.de/
Old 06-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #78
shosty

I'll ask this here as it seems a fitting thread. I've been setting up the Smartknobs script to work with my MPD32 but I noticed that the knobs are seen as the same across banks (knob 1 on bank 1 is seen as the same as knob 1 on bank 2) so basically the banks are not functional.

I've not come across this before and it's been a while since I've used this controller. Should I change the CC number for each bank so that they are seen as different, or perhaps the just the midi channel? Changing the CC seems like it could be problematic as the faders will presumably need the same treatment.

Has anyone else noticed with with the mpd32?
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #79
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I'll ask this here as it seems a fitting thread. I've been setting up the Smartknobs script to work with my MPD32 but I noticed that the knobs are seen as the same across banks (knob 1 on bank 1 is seen as the same as knob 1 on bank 2) so basically the banks are not functional.

I've not come across this before and it's been a while since I've used this controller. Should I change the CC number for each bank so that they are seen as different, or perhaps the just the midi channel? Changing the CC seems like it could be problematic as the faders will presumably need the same treatment.

Has anyone else noticed with with the mpd32?
I've not used the mpd32, but I set up my Novation Launch Control so that banks are different midi channels. Works for me.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #80
cpaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Maschine Mikro Mk1. It outputs 9 layers (via MIDI-Ox channel switching) of 32 MIDI CC buttons/pads and the encoder knob, based on which "modifier" button I hold. Every action I ever need while sketching a song fits right in my lap.

Also love my 10 year old Novation ReMOTE. All my favorite SoftSynths, EQ's, Amps as well as a fully mapped "selected-track channel strip" are hands-on controllable via the 4 layers x (8 encoders, 8 rotary knobs, 8 faders and 8 buttons). So

When I want to mix or edit in maximum comfort and laziness, I use my Steam Controller with mouse control and programmable keyboard shortcuts and put my feet up. Max

All of which have been customized all the way to oblivion and beyond....But now I'm about 97% mouse and keyboard free!! Über-geek !
Could you elaborate on how you change the channels and how to get modifier buttons with the maschine? Is it via MCU or have you made your own template in the controller editor? Haven't really experienced midiox yet!
I have a thread about maschine mk3 integration with reaper and I would love to hear your input!
cpaf is offline   Reply With Quote