Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Buttrey
Human being with feelings

Default "Mono" vocals stuck in one stereo channel

Hi. I have a stereo mic, but someone told me to record vocals in mono. So on my vocal track, I pick "input, mono" and the device. Then I record. Now it appears that I have a stereo track -- okay, I know all Reaper tracks are stereo -- with all the information on the left side. I can't use the cool non-default Pan Modes to move the sound over to the right. Moreover, if I "Render track to mono stem track" I still get a thing that fades out as I pan to the right. If I "Render track to stereo stem track" I get a thing that looks, visually, like a stereo track with two identical copies, one on top of the other -- but I can *still* only hear it on the left.

My questions are, one, how should I set up recording with a stereo mic in the future, and, two, how can I get sound on both sides?

Thanks,
Eternal Newbie
Buttrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Buttrey

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. The stereo version of the rendered track is now moving around as I'd like, so presumably there was some setting I was missing. But more generally, what do people do to set up mono-style recording?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
domzy

If you select "Input:Mono" you will record a mono file on that track - if you select "Input:Stereo" you will record a stereo file.

As you are using a stereo mic (and if you are recording in mono) you might want to try differing mic placement depending on whether you are using input 1 or 2 of the mic channels. Or you might want to record in stereo and glue or render it to mono.

If it's fading out when you pan to the right maybe you have a problem with your output range in device settings.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Buttrey

Thank you for reading and replying. There are so many ways to mess things up that I'm certain I've found one. It's just a question of hunting it down. I think my mike is bi-directional, so I figured I should just record from one side, but there are plenty of things for me to try.
Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
insub

You only have a stereo mic?
Which model is it?

Usually, people start with a single dynamic, cardioid mic and add a stereo mic later. Sometimes, they get a multi-pattern mic which can be mono or figure-of-8.

Anyway... Domzy gave the recording setup already to record it as mono.

If you've already recorded in stereo then you can change the ITEM Settings by right-clicking the audio waveform in the Arrange View and choosing whichever of the options there best suits the situation:
Take channel mode: Mono (downmix)
Take channel mode: Mono (left)
Take channel mode: Mono (right)

Recording stereo would be useful when you don't know which side of the mic you're recording into, or if you just want to keep you options open later. Like, maybe you want ot mix the other side in as natural reverb from the room. In that case you may need to choose Item Processing > Explode Multichannel Audio....
insub is offline   Reply With Quote