Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 12-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #41
hopi
Human being with feelings

darn... I wish could understand how to use this...

anyone tutor me a little? something simple like just reaeq on one track for starters

thanks for your help

EDIT: OK got some of it by reading carefully the readme file... but still do not understand the
sequencer part.....

Last edited by hopi; 12-10-2016 at 01:31 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #42
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
darn... I wish could understand how to use this...

anyone tutor me a little? something simple like just reaeq on one track for starters

thanks for your help

EDIT: OK got some of it by reading carefully the readme file... but still do not understand the
sequencer part.....
Ok - quick explanation.

Target slot - this is the fx plugin state that the sequence step is travelling toward.

Morph Time - How quickly the step reaches the target slot (in bars/beats)

Step shape - curve used for the transition. Tri = linear, Sine = sine etc.

Step Rebound - Whether the step resets to beginning when it reaches the target or bounces back (reverses direction)

Step length - how long the step lasts in bars/beats. So if the step length is shorter than the morph time - the target slot is never reached before moving to next step. If step length is longer then the fx plugin state will either hold position until the end of the step - or if loop is set (4th button in row under morph time bar) - the morph will continue (either bouncing back towards previous fx plugin state - or resetting to previous state and travelling towards the target slot again - depending on Rebound setting for the step). With loop set - the morph is always travelling somewhere - and won't hold position.

Start slot - this forces the step to start at the specified fx param state, regardless of where the morph finishes for the previous state.

So basically - it's not like a traditional sequencer as each step length can be different.

Each Preset (P1..P2..P3 etc) has 4 sequencers (only one can be running at a time)

Seq Loop - loops the sequence when it reaches the end - so will run forever until you stop it.

Spd 1x/2x etc - simply a multiplier that effects the speed the seequence is run at.

Play group - adding a sequence to a play group allows you to trigger many sequences at once (using the >1 >2 buttons)

The yellow BAR/BEAT/OFF selector means when you trigger a sequence - it should start on the beat or bar - or simply as soon as you click the play button, click the auto morph slot.

Stutter/Smooth - essentially inserts a delay between each morph iteration - so the transitions become stuttery or smoother.

IMPORTANT - the morph sequences are always run on the right-hand side A-H + R (random) slots - so if you have the yellow morph fader bar over to the left - the sequence will have no effect. Move the bar towards the right-hand slots - then the sequence will be interpolated with the selected slot on the left hand side. Move the morph slider completely right - and the sequence will be fully realised (not interpolated with the chosen left hand A-H + R slot...

Hope this helps a bit. I've gone from memory and haven't really played much with it since I started Stripper - so I may have made a mistake in my explanation!!
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #43
hopi

lb0... thanks as ever... I'll try to do what you say...

I do understand Stripper has taken you away ... well hey, that is what Strippers do ain't it? LoL

Yet I also think when you can, this lua is worth more love.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #44
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Have you examples how you use this tool?

My favourite parameter to morph would be simply the WET parameters of n fx! Then you would not destroy any sound, only changing their amounts, for creating variety, against boringness.

Can we midi map the crossfader?
Sorry - completely missed this post. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Yes - the crossfader can be midi controlled. You need to get the lbx input morph script from the chaos engine github page - load this into the action list and assign a midi controller to run it. Then that midi controller will control the crossfader, which I assume can then be recorded into an automation lane and drawn in also if required.

As yet - no examples other than the initial video. I plan to continue development of this script once I get to a decent 'leave it there' v1 point for the Stripper script.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #45
Arnar

Just found this amazing thing ! Pretty wild stuff one can make with this .
Thanks !

I seem to be having some problems with saving from the L/S option, get an error when saving. So I cannot load either.
When opened with the same vst in another project I have to set everything up again.

Any plans on finishing this

Last edited by Arnar; 12-21-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #46
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnar View Post
Just found this amazing thing ! Pretty wild stuff one can make with this .
Thanks !

I seem to be having some problems with saving from the L/S option, get an error when saving. So I cannot load either.
When opened with the same vst in another project I have to set everything up again.

Any plans on finishing this
Have fun with it
Old 12-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #47
Arnar

In this and MPL randomize there is the "All except protected" how can I make parameters protected ?

Also , am I doing something wrong with the saving with the L/S or is it just how you left it ?
If I could save settings per synth , I would use this all the time.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #48
lb0

Quote:
In this and MPL randomize there is the "All except protected" how can I make parameters protected ?

Also , am I doing something wrong with the saving with the L/S or is it just how you left it ?
If I could save settings per synth , I would use this all the time.
Sorry - I missed half your previous post.

Not sure what's wrong with the save and load - will check when I get the chance. It certainly has worked in the past...

What error are you getting?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #49
Arnar

When I try and save I get this message "...EAPER\Scripts\LBXChaosEngine-master\LBX Chaos Engine.lua:282: attempt to index a nil value (local 'file')"

It does not save and therefore will not load either, so I have to set it up every time. The save with project works fine.

If you plan to work on this I have a couple of suggestions , it would be nice to be able to save multiple presets per instrument , for example on for going completely nuts and perhaps one a bit more conservative.

Also , and this one would be very cool ..after setting up the parameters to morph its great to switch presets and see how it affects a different preset but for that to work one should be able to push "Get focused fx " again to get the settings for a newly selected preset as the base "A".

The way it is now , A holds settings from the initial "get focused fx" and applies that as soon as the slider is moved.

Having said that , I would be happy to be able to save

This would be the correct install path ?
C:\Users\HaZaR\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBXC haosEngine-master

ps..all except protected ? how can I protect things ?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:21 AM   #50
lb0

Quote:
When I try and save I get this message "...EAPER\Scripts\LBXChaosEngine-master\LBX Chaos Engine.lua:282: attempt to index a nil value (local 'file')"

It does not save and therefore will not load either, so I have to set it up every time. The save with project works fine.

If you plan to work on this I have a couple of suggestions , it would be nice to be able to save multiple presets per instrument , for example on for going completely nuts and perhaps one a bit more conservative.

Also , and this one would be very cool ..after setting up the parameters to morph its great to switch presets and see how it affects a different preset but for that to work one should be able to push "Get focused fx " again to get the settings for a newly selected preset as the base "A".

The way it is now , A holds settings from the initial "get focused fx" and applies that as soon as the slider is moved.

Having said that , I would be happy to be able to save

This would be the correct install path ?
C:\Users\HaZaR\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBXC haosEngine-master

ps..all except protected ? how can I protect things ?
ah - my path is:

C:\Users\Leon\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts\LBX

Place the script in that folder (your username obv) - and save should work ok.

Will get back to you about other questions when I've got a mo....
Old 12-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #51
Arnar

Excellent ! This works.

As for my suggestions , adding the ability to capture the "A" whenever , for the purpose of being able to change the main preset would be very cool, but even cooler would be to be able to capture the plugin setting whenever and into whatever slot.
That way you can just capture presets and morph between them rather then only having the random function.

After trying a bit more , that seems to be exactly the way it works.

Also , how do I bind the input morph to a midi controller , I am not getting a menu or seeing anything when I open/start the input script.

This is quite literally insane being able to do this , the sound design possibilities !

Last edited by Arnar; 12-21-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #52
lb0

Quote:
Excellent ! This works.

As for my suggestions , adding the ability to capture the "A" whenever , for the purpose of being able to change the main preset would be very cool, but even cooler would be to be able to capture the plugin setting whenever and into whatever slot.
That way you can just capture presets and morph between them rather then only having the random function.
OK - you want to be able to capture the plugins current parameter values directly into any of the slots?

That would be pretty easy to add - but will need to go over the code a few times (haven't worked on this one for over a year!).

When I get some time I'll look into. At the moment I have two other scripts also with requests outstanding - and not a lot of free time - but will gladly look at when that time becomes available
Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #53
lb0

Quote:
Also , how do I bind the input morph to a midi controller , I am not getting a menu or seeing anything when I open/start the input script.
The LBXInput_Morph script should be loaded into your actions list. Then simply bind that script to a midi (or osc) control messaage from the external controller.

Then the bound control will trigger the script. This then stores it's value which the choas engine script picks up.

It's a primitive solution but one of the only one's available - and it works. But don't expect any sort of sample accuracy. As with all Lua scripts - there is latency caused by the polling of the scripts runloop, which is small but can be noticed on fast morph changes - if you are expecting a snap change to happen exactly on the beat - you probably won't get it bang in time - but you can record the automation and adjust it if needs be. For many tasks it isn't a problem.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #54
Arnar

Personally I think I would prefer to use this for one fx at a time and be able to print the automation, it seems you disabled it because of that ?
Also , the sequencer is always free-running which makes it hard to get a properly repeated pattern

Last edited by Arnar; 12-21-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #55
Arnar

Sweet , working! Although I am not sure how to record this automation.
Sry if I am being daft , say I use a mod wheel , record it where ?
Its not on a track ? :P

Just discovered crossfading between two settings and capturing that.

Gamechanger for me.

Thanks so much for this awesome script.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #56
lb0

Quote:
Sweet , working! Although I am not sure how to record this automation.
Sry if I am being daft , say I use a mod wheel , record it where ?
Its not on a track ? :P

Just discovered crossfading between two settings and capturing that.

Gamechanger for me.

Thanks so much for this awesome script.
Glad you've worked some of it out.

Yes - not sure if it's possible to capture the crossfader as automation. I know how it can be done (using a dummy jsfx like in Stripper) - so will consider adding that as an option to enable external control.

If the sequencer is free running (been a while since I used it I admit) - I've done a similar thing with modulation on the Stripper script - but which sticks to project position - so might be able to incorporate that too.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #57
Arnar

For now I can record the output as audio or just use it to make new presets.
If you ever update it I guess recording the automation would be the number one concern for me , either recording the crossfader or just the whole automation.

Thanks again for this amazing plug.

PS...
Now working on a song and I would kill to be able to record what I am doing , donate possible ? I am willing to pay for it
Recording the complete automation or -just the crossfader and which slot is in use would be killer. Or recordin the crossfader and which slot and then writing that to automation would be the ultimate solution.

I literally have no way of achieving these sound without this and now I am hungry ! haha LOL
Again personally I would only use this for one instrument at a time an then write automation if that makes it easier ?

Last edited by Arnar; 12-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #58
lb0

Quote:
For now I can record the output as audio or just use it to make new presets.
If you ever update it I guess recording the automation would be the number one concern for me , either recording the crossfader or just the whole automation.

Thanks again for this amazing plug.

PS...
Now working on a song and I would kill to be able to record what I am doing , donate possible ? I am willing to pay for it
Recording the complete automation or -just the crossfader and which slot is in use would be killer. Or recordin the crossfader and which slot and then writing that to automation would be the ultimate solution.

I literally have no way of achieving these sound without this and now I am hungry ! haha LOL
Again personally I would only use this for one instrument at a time an then write automation if that makes it easier ?
Thanks. Well - you can already record the live automation into each parameter's automation lane. Just record enable any you want to capture. Obviously - once you have stuff in the lanes - you then cannot control them from the script unless you set to latch/write or disable them).

Easiest way is to set global automation mode to write or touch. Then play your tracks and use the script live to record the morphing.

I can certainly improve on the recording options. I can add a jsfx slider plugin to trigger the crossfader (possibly even trigger the pads). This will then allow for recording just the script fader movements etc - which can be adjusted if required.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #59
mpl

Quote:
They are defined inside code, but theoretically can be moved to some ini file for example.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #60
Arnar

Its beyond me why everyone isnt all over this script ?
Maybe it just flew under the radar ?

Even without all the automation parts its absolutely unbeatable for making new sounds and just saving them .

At the moment I am using this for Xfer Serum and its incredible.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #61
Arnar

As for the automation , I did try that and it didnt work so I thought it was not working but I will try again.

EDIT: Seems to work now , all is good.

Last edited by Arnar; 12-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #62
TCT

Default Error message

Just found this plugin! Looks excellent!

I keep getting the following error message when I try to run it, though:

" LBX Chaos Engine.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<' "

Any ideas?
TCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #63
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCT View Post
Just found this plugin! Looks excellent!

I keep getting the following error message when I try to run it, though:

" LBX Chaos Engine.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<' "

Any ideas?
Well - there's no code on line 7 - so that's a corruption issue caused most probably by github.

Please download the file as RAW from github. Open the lua file as RAW and save the page (or copy and paste text into blank document).

Link to RAW version:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/L-...s%20Engine.lua
Old 02-12-2018, 04:42 AM   #64
TCT

That worked, thanks! I look forward to exploring this when I get home from work today!
TCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #65
hopi

OK well... I can see this is one serious lua... but I'm so dumb that I need a step by step 'how to use it'... guide...

I feel that if Kenny or anyone could provide a little video instruction about how to use it ... just basically... then I could carry on with more complex configs later...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 AM   #66
ChristopherT

I'm in awe of this amazing work.
But I am dumb also.

All this needs is a proper in depth "how to " video tutorial

...and then it will take over the world
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #67
Ozman

I really like this script.
And only wish that development on it would continue.
Namely, the ability to specify what params to not morph.

Really love this one. Great for morphing sounds.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #68
Ozman

Maybe a mod of this,
allowing the user to choose (by touch) params to add to the protected list of randomization and morphing.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #69
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Maybe a mod of this,
allowing the user to choose (by touch) params to add to the protected list of randomization and morphing.
Thanks - I'm pretty sure you can select/deselect whatever parameters you like - but to add to the protected list - there's a table I believe in the code that you can alter to adjust the list currently.

It's been 2 years since I visited this script - and I could make it so much better now - but also I'm currently in the middle of a big update to my Smart Knobs script and also a list as long as my arm of things for Stripper.

I doubt I'll have time before Xmas to take a look at this script again - but if there's something specific and easy to implement - I'll take a look when I've finished the Smart Knobs update.

The protected table is the first table after the header comments in the code - so for now - you can potentially add manually any things you wish to automatically omit from the auto select. Remember - this matches any part of the parameter name containing the protected strings - so be careful what you put in there.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #70
Ozman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thanks - I'm pretty sure you can select/deselect whatever parameters you like - but to add to the protected list - there's a table I believe in the code that you can alter to adjust the list currently.

It's been 2 years since I visited this script - and I could make it so much better now - but also I'm currently in the middle of a big update to my Smart Knobs script and also a list as long as my arm of things for Stripper.

I doubt I'll have time before Xmas to take a look at this script again - but if there's something specific and easy to implement - I'll take a look when I've finished the Smart Knobs update.

The protected table is the first table after the header comments in the code - so for now - you can potentially add manually any things you wish to automatically omit from the auto select. Remember - this matches any part of the parameter name containing the protected strings - so be careful what you put in there.

Dude!
I'm just glad that it isn't abandoned.

Whenever you find time, work your magic, man!

Your scripts are much appreciated. It's just ironic, that I've been using certain vst's lately that have random functions. And I was like, "I can prolly do this with all VSTi in Reaper".

I used this script in the past to morph between presets of a softsynth, all went well, but I would have to later later reset and disable certain recorded envelops.

I also know that you took a break on this one to work on the Stripper, I think.

It's just good overall to know that you'll eventually return to it.

Much thanks.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #71
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
Dude!
I'm just glad that it isn't abandoned.

Whenever you find time, work your magic, man!

Your scripts are much appreciated. It's just ironic, that I've been using certain vst's lately that have random functions. And I was like, "I can prolly do this with all VSTi in Reaper".

I used this script in the past to morph between presets of a softsynth, all went well, but I would have to later later reset and disable certain recorded envelops.

I also know that you took a break on this one to work on the Stripper, I think.

It's just good overall to know that you'll eventually return to it.

Much thanks.
Well I tend to work on the ones which are the most popular - and it will take an hour or two of staring at the code to work out again how it works

But it has been a long time I've been saying I'll go back to it - so I guess that time is getting closer as time passes
Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #72
Infrabass

Finally took the time to try Chaos Engine...bigre, what a blast! It's awesome and works rock solid!

Just one thing I didn't find, is there a way to unselect every parameters of a plugin in the select preset fx & params?
Would be handy to reset things.

Cheers!
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #73
Infrabass

One more thing, for sound design I often find super interesting too be able to mutate (randomize actual parameter by a definable amount) instead of fully randomize.
Is it only a matter of adding a multiplication somewhere down the line or it would be more complicated than that?
Infrabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #74
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrabass View Post
One more thing, for sound design I often find super interesting too be able to mutate (randomize actual parameter by a definable amount) instead of fully randomize.
Is it only a matter of adding a multiplication somewhere down the line or it would be more complicated than that?
Hi Infrabass,

Glad you're enjoying the utility.

Mutate would probably be quite easy to add in the future.

It's been so long since I've used the script - I'm not sure how easy it is to unselect parameters - but I'm sure there should be a way. I'll take a look when I get a moment.

Currently working hard on another script - but hopefully I'll get time to spend on Chaos Engine sometime - it's been a long old while since the last update.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:04 PM   #75
Rockum

I believe I have the scripts in the right place, but I can't find the action in the actions list...
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #76
lb0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockum View Post
I believe I have the scripts in the right place, but I can't find the action in the actions list...
Have you added the script via the 'New action...' button in the actions list?
Old 03-13-2022, 07:16 PM   #77
Rockum

Quote:
Thanks.
Rockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #78
Broken-Form

Just found this have to try it out
Broken-Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:31 AM   #79
loupis45

Quote:
This is fantastic. Thanks! One of the best scripts available. I have no words!
However is there any way to adjust randomization amount?
loupis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:15 PM   #80
reapero

I always forget about this script. Truly awesome stuff lb0!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote